• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 'Isn't Going to be on Game Pass', Insists Larian Boss; "We made a big game, so I think there's a fair price to be paid for that."

Baldur's Gate 3 is now available on Xbox, but don't expect it on Game Pass anytime soon. Speaking with IGN in an interview soon to be published in full, Larian Studios founder Swen Vincke explained why the award-winning role-playing game won't be part of Xbox's subscription service.

"Oh, we always said from the get-go, it wasn't going to be on Game Pass, it's not going to be on Game Pass," Vincke said when asked whether Xbox had tried to pay the studio to put Baldur's Gate 3 on the service.
Describing it as a "sensitive question," Vincke pointed out that Larian Studios is in the business of "making a game that has a beginning, middle, and an end." He also touted Baldur's Gate 3's lack of microtransactions, which has been praised in some quarters.

"We made a big game, so I think there's a fair price to be paid for that, and I think that that is okay. We don't charge you any micro-transactions on top of it, so you get what you pay for. Upfront it's a big meaty game. So I think that should be able to exist as it is. This is what allows us to continue making other games," Vincke says.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
crushed noo GIF

skit_data

I hope they actually make some bank on the platform, there are times to be penny pinching and there are times to not be. This is one of the latter cases.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Game is great just buy it. It would have been cool on GP day one. Now it would cost a ton for XBOX to put it on GP.

They have no reason to, at least for the first year of it's release, where most of a game's unit sales come from.

It's a great business move by Swen. Get the bag using the accolades they have rightfully earned in the launch/first few years, and then milk the cash cows like Gamepass, PS+ etc, later down the line.

Last edited:

Metnut

Let’s see how this sells on XBox. Prove everyone wrong that XBox gamers aren’t just cheap people who want everything on Gamepass. Show other companies that it’s worth spending tons of man hours trying to get games to run acceptably on Series S.

Fbh

As a third party there's no real reason to be on Gamepass this early unless you aren't confident about how well your game will sell.
With over 20 mill sales already, very good reception by both critics and players and probably a shit-ton of GOTY awards in the next couple of months I don't think Larian has any worries about the sale potential of BG3.

WitchHunter

Banned
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Buy the game you fucking peasants. BG3 is a rare gem and from a now niche genre. Its feature packed with no microtransactions, they spent a lot of time supporting it and adding things too.

Respect their work.
People have been thoroughly brainwashed for sure. When a game gets released, you want a complete experience. So do not give plus points to a studio, that LATER adds something to the base game. Just stop doing this, because you'll let the wolf into the sheep pen and in the long term you gonna face the consequences. MS wants to be granddaddy of all games with gamepass, now it's already a thing that a head honcho says this aint gonna happen... soon.

And the worst of it all, that BG3 gets lauded, when they released a half assed, stitched together frankenstein.

Complistic

I feel like they're going to pull a Nintendo on this one. Has the game even gone on sale yet? If your game is good enough people will buy it. Works for Nintendo.

Shane89

AAA games, unless developed internally, will rarely appear on any subscription service, simply because you will not make the same amount of potential money.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Microsoft's got big pockets but even they know the game needs no exposure and will sell regardless. Simply no need to do this.

Gamepass' purpose is to help games attract players who would normally not buy/play those games. BG3 doesn't have this problem.

I'd say duuuuuuuuuh...but there are Xbox folks who think everything should be on Gamepass. It's like gaming welfare or something.

Top Bottom