• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Meh, I'm glad this thread is no longer (primarily) about why people caught bans, which is mostly done in that Ban Justice thread. I was happy when it got derailed and became the dumping grounds for memes and brief screams from the Jungian shadow. Now it's more like a blog/livejournal. VirginGAF is like the self-deprecating gem that this thread once was.

GAFbstinence.

EDIT: oops new page. Meant for -Arcadia- -Arcadia- from the previous page.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think (as much as you can think for a chaos entity like this thread), the best thing is to just let anything go, within reason (I have to say this, otherwise it'll be 5 pages of Ibiza and Bernkastel links and dead otherwise, again).

Live journaling, meta talk, trolling, self deprecation, and just let the fun happen naturally, in whatever weird way.

I thought the stuff about Bonk's friend and the cougar last night, for example, was hilarious.

MetalAlien

Banned
Hi. What is this thread? :lollipop_grinning_eyes:
I still haven't figured it out...

giphy.gif

-Arcadia-

Banned
In the spirit of Meta talk, the Ban Review thread is such a shitshow these days. I know, I know, we shouldn't have been enjoying it in the first place, as it's serious and stuff.

But all it is these days is 50% console warriors trying to get each other banned, making excuses for people on their side, and fighting each other.

The other 50% is people kissing ass (also console warriors) and praising bans like Old Gaf, and playing moderator.

I always get tempted to post in the thread when someone says something ridiculous enough, and I guess play moderator myself, but I feel like it's starting to be a real bad look to even be part of it all.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
In the spirit of Meta talk, the Ban Review thread is such a shitshow these days. I know, I know, we shouldn't have been enjoying it in the first place, as it's serious and stuff.

But all it is these days is 50% console warriors trying to get each other banned, making excuses for people on their side, and fighting each other.

The other 50% is people kissing ass (also console warriors) and praising bans like Old Gaf, and playing moderator.

I always get tempted to post in the thread when someone says something ridiculous enough, and I guess play moderator myself, but I feel like it's starting to be a real bad look to even be part of it all.
tenor.gif

Worth noting the original purpose of that thread was to facilitate folks who'd been unjustly banned in The 2017 Purge and prior. Now it is just as you said, the Meta Ban OT thread.

Nymphae

Banned
In the end Nymphae Nymphae won...

The thread is junk and doesn't address site meta commentary anymore outside of occasional Arcadia posts, I'm not sure what I won exactly

Meh, I'm glad this thread is no longer (primarily) about why people caught bans, which is mostly done in that Ban Justice thread

It was one relevant aspect of site meta commentary never the primary one. I for one enjoy the site meta commentary posts in here and wish that was more interesting to people, but we need another thread for gifs and blog posts I guess.

Nymphae

Banned
Well. Now there's two people talking Meta. At this pace, you totally win by 2200.

It's a user side problem. I hate what the people have done with it.

I miss when people just laughed at the more ridiculous bans, offered some helpful advice/criticism, that sort of thing.

Same here more or less. I just think it's a shame that on topic stuff gets drowned out, I think people walk in here and rightfully wonder what the fuck the thread is even supposed to be about, didn't happen initially. I'd like to hear more meta commentary from more members but it's become a small cadre of shitposters who do what they want.

Edit: lol I didn't realize you were talking about the other thread but I feel it applies here as well.

And don't get me wrong sometimes I enjoy the insanity in here, there are gems now and then but I think as a whole it's probably pretty unattractive to newcomers and is literally pointless. I just felt like there was a place for a meta commentary thread and I would participate more in that kind of a thread. Congrats to the trolls I guess?

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Same here more or less. I just think it's a shame that on topic stuff gets drowned out, I think people walk in here and rightfully wonder what the fuck the thread is even supposed to be about, didn't happen initially. I'd like to hear more meta commentary from more members but it's become a small cadre of shitposters who do what they want.

I think to some extent, all you can do is accept it. I'd like to see more Meta talk myself, but if the people aren't interested in talking Meta, they aren't interested, you know?

Which really sucks for a thread creator, but that's the nature of the beast. You put something out there, and the forum decides how it will go forward.

I think, the best thing is to look at it positively. All the craziness in here keeps the thread on top, and kind of symbiotically allows more intelligent, on-topic Meta talk, when it does crop up.

As people who love discussing this stuff, probably the best thing we can do, is just contribute that to this thread from time to time (and it always does seem to get a good discussion), and perhaps more people will gain an interest, and the thread will balance a little.

I love the irreverent side, but I do have to agree that it's a little unfortunate when it's gone so far that someone like Shrodinger's cat questions if he's in the right place (ironic given the name) before asking his Meta question.

But yeah. I think just letting it ride, and posting the stuff you want to see is the best course of action.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Plus Nym, you're one of three legacy threads on Gaf.

You created the ultimate shitposting destination. @hariseldon ruined the world. And I have a thread permanently dedicated to jealous ugly people that hate me and my popular friends.

We've become a permanent part of Gaf's legacy. :messenger_winking:

Nymphae

Banned
I think to some extent, all you can do is accept it.

I mean yeah, I'm not writing to the mods and complaining lol, people are going to do what they will do and I don't bitch about it all that much, I just post far less meta commentary thoughts because it seems like less people care.

I love the irreverent side, but I do have to agree that it's a little unfortunate when it's gone so far that someone like Shrodinger's cat questions if he's in the right place (ironic given the name) before asking his Meta question.

Exactly. But yeah it is what it is.

Plus Nym, you're one of three legacy threads on Gaf.

You created the ultimate shitposting destination. hariseldon ruined the world. And I have a thread permanently dedicated to jealous ugly people that hate me and my popular friends.

61716145.jpg

MetaGaf in a nutshell:

hISgrj2.gif

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'd take gif spams, how do I summon a succubus gf and twitter posts over new people that make broad generalizations of gaf any day.

Man it sucks this place isn't more like reddit!

We know newfa...rnson we know.

bronk

Banned
It genuinely would be awesome if Virgin Gaf took off. Two conversational threads, for when one gets slow, and it's just funny that they're 'rivals', in a way.

Plus, I see some virgins self-exiling to Virgin Gaf, which just makes the whole thing more humorous.
I keep trying to get into that thread but it won't let me. Keeps saying access denied? I wonder why

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Edit: lol I didn't realize you were talking about the other thread but I feel it applies here as well.

And don't get me wrong sometimes I enjoy the insanity in here, there are gems now and then but I think as a whole it's probably pretty unattractive to newcomers and is literally pointless. I just felt like there was a place for a meta commentary thread and I would participate more in that kind of a thread. Congrats to the trolls I guess?
At least you're not making rules lol.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Haha no ladies, even an old one wouldn't buy me a thing. 😭 Wait! Just maybe! Im texting those two cougars from last weekend. I think the best ill get is a beer. Better than nothing!
I believe your he-pussy is worth more than a beer. With the right training you could become more powerful than you can ever imagine. Hamstarius the Wise was a Dank Lord so powerful that he could use his man-gina to influence the ladies to buy him PS1s, PS2, PS3s, and PS4s thoughout his illustrious career.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Which is why I'm trying to get traction in the Virgin thread; though I think it could use a new name once it gets going

I mean, there's a thread perfect for linking people to, telling them "Go shit post in here pl0x, request your post be moved if you feel," and it would probably go a long way in solving your own issues, especially if you guys want to play thread cops and trollers

Once enough shit posters/trolls move threads, the majority will follow

Nymphae

Banned
At least you're not making rules lol.

This is not a "general" conversation on Neogaf.
Is a conversation about NeoGAF, user experiences, opinions about site operations, advice, help, and unparalleled opinions, and stop.
Everything else, like music, pictures, comparisons with other forums, news conversations, are all Off-Topic conversations here.

To try to keep order in this conversation, I will clarify the basic points, and its rules.

1- in this conversation it is possible to speak freely about matters relating to the forum in a general sense, and only about the forum

2- In this discussion you can give any kind of help and suggestion, in order to help and give advice to fellow forum members

3- images, videos, trailers can NOT be posted

4- it is allowed to speak only of topics concerning expressly and exclusively the forum itself, it's workings, and it's members

In this conversation there is a ban on:

1- talk about things unrelated to the forum, including news about anything else, anecdotes, funny images, gifs, music videos, etc.

2- prohibition from attacking, or denigrating, users' personal opinions related to the forum.

3- complete and total prohibition to compare this forum with other forums/websites, in order to avoid unnecessary and unpleasant Off-Topic.

4- total ban on posting material considered as Spoilers, and it is forbidden to post any other Spoilers without first having used the Spoiler function of the site.

5- ban on creating conversations, here, about anything unrelated to the forum in a meta sense

These are the rules for participating in this conversation.

Flaggrant violations of the rules will be reported to the mods ASAP

Last edited:
I think Fallout: New Vegas broke me. I'm gonna try doing the Dark Souls Remastered edition again next and see if I can bring myself back from the brink of insanity.

It feels weird to knowingly table next-gen prospects to 2021 but that's what I'm doing. Barring weird strokes of chance I'm waiting until 2021 and what I do first isn't decided. It could be build a new PC, this PC is pretty old, I do wonder if I can get anything for selling a 1070? Probably not, right? It's the only fairly new part of this PC at the moment. So I kinda wanna build from scratch again. I definitely need a new computer desk to sit at, too when I do this. Though I might cave and do PS5 first, I did recently get a new 4K TV for it, I'm not sure I have the right settings for certain things, though, like there's stuff I'm a little behind on like I think there's new HDMI? Also I know the TV can do 120hz but I'm thinking it's only in 1080 mode, which... I'm guessing few PS5 games will run 120/4K if any anyways.

I don't really have much interest in Series X. I have interest in games like Halo Infinite (and why won't they port Halo 5?) but if I commit to building a PC I won't miss it. I don't set incredibly high goals in life so I'm thinking build a new PC in 2021 is easy enough of a target to hit.

Gaming side is pretty chaotic right now, there's a thread for every little thing about next-gen news it seems. I tried to do what I could in some of them but eh... it's too much and my investment isn't high enough right now. I do think 10 extra dollars for games is kinda small potatoes. I guess it's worse if you're not American, though. I rarely buy games at launch any more, Doom Eternal is the only one this year, for instance and I shouldn't have done it because I STILL HAVEN'T BEATEN IT. I got kinda upset with the Marauder enemy, I was on maybe the 5th time he shows up in the game when I stopped? It's going to be another Witcher 3 and I like never finish it... that's right... I haven't finished Witcher 3... in that game's case what happened was I made it close to the end on PS4 and then double dipped on the PC version and decided to stop playing the horrific framerate of the PS4 version. The problem... I didn't realize how hard it'd be to start that game over from scratch, at least for me. One of the cool things about say... Fallout: New Vegas... is an experienced player on a new play can hit the Strip in under an hour, nevermind a speed-runner, exploiter, whatever (I'm not those things). I feel like more games need that kind of design, it's so conducive to replays.

Don't appreciate that one guy calling for MHK to get banned in the ban thread but like -Arcadia- -Arcadia- said it feels better to not get involved in that stuff lately.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
E Explosive Zombie you should post more on Gaming side, not less. My habit is to bump threads on page 2 or 3 that interest me, just to add some variety to the main page beyond consolewar stuff. That way you can involve yourself with the topics you want, avoid the drama, and help clean up the main page. 💪

Not suggesting mass-bumping or anything, just pick the threads that look good and give em a lift.

-Arcadia-

Banned
E Explosive Zombie you should post more on Gaming side, not less. My habit is to bump threads on page 2 or 3 that interest me, just to add some variety to the main page beyond consolewar stuff. That way you can involve yourself with the topics you want, avoid the drama, and help clean up the main page. 💪

Not suggesting mass-bumping or anything, just pick the threads that look good and give em a lift.

This said, I think it’s also fair to take one look at Gaming Side, do the disgusted/judgemental face of your choice, and take a week’s vacation. Lol. Currently where I’m at.

But yeah, this. Plus creating some awesome stuff.

Top Bottom