• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Gonna take a bit of a break from GAF and gaming news in general. Need to actually play a few games that I'm planning to write LTTPs for, but I can't when I'm constantly glued to my phone :(

See ya'll in 60 days! Can't wait to show you all my LTTPs by then :messenger_heart:
yse1gcs.png

My new mission is when trolls enter a thread force them to address me, especially if what they're saying doesn't apply to me, watch them spend all this energy arguing with someone who doesn't embody what they wanted to troll until they're exhausted and realize the futility of what they did. I'm not sure if that's okay?

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
2022. When I can buy the complete version of my favorite CoD yearly title (last years) for ONLY 250 bucks.

I kind of want to try some of the other classic RPGs for one thing I never played the first two fallout games but I do have them on PC I also want to try stuff like planescape torment but fallout New Vegas is like at this crossroads of so many things I want in games where it's an RPG it's open world it has choices that matter it's a first person shooter and it's like all those things work like the thing that works the least is probably arguably the first person shooter stuff but that's totally compensates for it and then you got stuff like how ridiculously over the top the deaths are for characters like how is it not fun to shoot people dead in this game. You know the part where vulpes Invicta meets you in nipton and tells you he wants you to spread word of the Town being burned down well I skipped that part and played the game to the point where I was really leveled up and I had the anti-material rifle with explosive rounds so when I showed up I fired a single round into them and it killed all of them in one shot holy crap was that satisfying

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I kind of want to try some of the other classic RPGs for one thing I never played the first two fallout games but I do have them on PC I also want to try stuff like planescape torment but fallout New Vegas is like at this crossroads of so many things I want in games where it's an RPG it's open world it has choices that matter it's a first person shooter and it's like all those things work like the thing that works the least is probably arguably the first person shooter stuff but that's totally compensates for it and then you got stuff like how ridiculously over the top the deaths are for characters like how is it not fun to shoot people dead in this game. You know the part where vulpes Invicta meets you in nipton and tells you he wants you to spread word of the Town being burned down well I skipped that part and played the game to the point where I was really leveled up and I had the anti-material rifle with explosive rounds so when I showed up I fired a single round into them and it killed all of them in one shot holy crap was that satisfying
Are you talking "classic RPGs" in general or for PC only? Fallout and PS: Torment were a part of the nuCRPGs of the late 90s early 200s.

Older ones that actually hold up... Try Darklands, Albion, the Might & Magic games, Ultima 5 - 7, Wizardry games, Betrayal at Krondor, all the Gold Box games, Lands of Lore, Realms of Arkania 1 and 2, Geneforge saga, etc.

Also holy crap those run-on sentences were satisfying.

O-N-E

nah, mission scrapped, it's too much for me to handle...

any of you fine folks getting a NEXT-GEN console at launch? I'm not, but man... I'll be happy to in like... 2021.

I don't think I'll do launch, but I like what I'm seeing in general from the games that have been revealed. It's not all as generic as people make it out to be. Particularly when you consider the generation is just starting. The real gold comes later. Excited to see what will come of FF16. I always preferred the Vagrant Story / FF Tactics / FF XII take on a Final Fantasy world/aesthetic.

O-N-E

Squeenix has no soul anymore.

No big corp has soul, they have creative talent that they use. You either like their output or you don't. Some creatives are better at fighting for their vision than others (Kojima). Some creators have better visions than others.

Why do you guys even play games? Do you? Your big titty boat ladies sure as hell don't come from a soulful place. That shit is for simps.

Throw a chocobo and a moogle into dragons dogma and you have FF16

That sounds alright to me.

Think about how different each Final Fantasy is compared to each entry of Call of Duty. Square doesn't have to do that shit.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No big corp has soul

e72xe3w.jpg

The lack of care and love for something is evident in modern Squeenix titles. That is what soul means. To the point it feels fake and inauthentic. You know they used to finish games at one point and they didn't rely solely on a mindless fanbase to sell their games?
Why do you guys even play games?
Time waster/fun. You've asked this before according to Tesseract Tesseract logs. Do not make me repeat myself.

Your big titty boat ladies sure as hell don't come from a soulful place.
They are comfy to me. What a silly thing to compare. A tiny niche company that makes gacha games to a behemoth like Squeenix with over 4k employees taking a decade on games only to not finish them/sell you dlc on top of it. Yeah I'm suppose to trust these guys on a franchise that hasn't been great since 9 on top of what they've become now.

That shit is for simps.
Says O-N-E as he plays a remake/fanfic split into episodic content with KH like gameplay. Eh Square made great games before can't say I've liked much of what they've done in years outside like 2 games.

edit : fuck bold shit breaks a username

Last edited by a moderator:

O-N-E

The lack of care and love for something is evident in modern Squeenix titles.

I disagree.

They make plenty of "cringe" content, but I wouldn't say that's from a lack of care and love.

If they didn't care, they'd be releasing a Final Fantasy every year and milk it for all it's worth.

Look how long it took for them to do FF7R. Why wait that long? People were begging for years. I myself didn't give a shit, but Square knew how bad the fans wanted it, but they kept making new moves instead.

Compare that to other Shooty shooty yearly recycle shit.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
If they didn't care, they'd be releasing a Final Fantasy every year and milk it for all it's worth.
They just suck at deadlines or rather just take as long as they feel like, they'll release a FF even without it actually coming to a conclusion. (see FF15)

Look how long it took for them to do FF7R. Why wait that long? People were begging for years. I myself didn't give a shit, but Square knew how bad the fans wanted it, but they kept making new moves instead.
Because they suck at completing games now even with a work force of 2k+ devs. Not to mention they padded the fuck out of FF7R so that the story continues in 3 other parts for more $$$$.

Compare that to other Shooty shooty yearly recycle shit.
Yes let's compare a Japanese dev to an American one that literally focuses on yearly releases. But hey even they remade Crash/Spyro games and sold it to you at 40 bucks in like one year.

Still not as bad as Capcom's rerereremakes though.

O-N-E

Square is clearly a weird pick for "no love or care" when comparing them to their financial equals in the industry. They let their creatives take chances. They let their creatives take time.

You really think letting Nomura and the others fiddle around for years is the absolute optimal way to increase their financial success?

Oh, it's not cause they care, it's because they have a lazy management style.

Allow me to borrow a brapism -

oHT1CT4.jpg

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Square is clearly a weird pick for "no love or care" when comparing them to their financial equals in the industry. They let their creatives take chances. They let their creatives take time.
7f581158c8b5fa964452cf7fed.jpg

On the cuntrary. Square let's them do whatever they want because even mediocre jank will pass for longtime fans. Just make it shiny enough! You can call it creative all you want but, where is the creativity again? Re-using summons, old mechanics and copy pasting their action games into a newer coat of paint isn't exactly screaming creative. Their flagship IP peaked 20 over years ago and this is going to be the 16th game in the series. Man can't wait to play as a twink again with KH's like gameplay over traditional turn based combat!
You really think letting Nomura and the others fiddle around for years is the absolute optimal way to increase their financial success?
I mentioned FF9 for a reason. It was a lovesong to the series before plunging to...X and beyond.

Oh, it's not cause they care, it's because they have a lazy management style.
T-I-M-E passed. This is the same company that let a guy make 3 fucking games because he fell in love with his waifu. You know, the thing you always give me shit for even when it has nothing to do with the subject at hand? But they get a pass because??? Yeah they sure do care about the FF brand. I mean I guess WoFF was made afterall and that was unironically better than 15.

Allow me to borrow a brapism -

oHT1CT4.jpg

I accept your concession.

xSfe1Lh.jpg

O-N-E

Which company has soul and puts love and care into their games by the way?

I want to play those.

Last edited:

O-N-E

Well at least you didn't spam FF15 gifs this time DFinal.

Don't you even dare make that comparison.

Also, he seems really innocent. People seem to harsh with him. Probably a young kid. If not, it's still cool to be a kid at heart.

Edit: It sucks you didn't give me an actual answer. I genuinely want to know which games Slow considers to have heart and soul and whether they came out within the last 10 years.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Which company has soul and puts love and care into their games by the way?

I want to play those.
Vanillaware, Imageepoch before it died, Square before X, Tecmo before they merged with Koei, Atlus (lol jk), Eidos (way back), Bethesda before Oblivion. Capcom in the early 2000's. Konami in the 90s.

Hell even EA had soul back in the days of the ps2. Bunch of old companies just play things extremely safe these days or make countless ports.

Idk I think things are bleak when a Argentinian weeb/cyberpunk game had me more entertained than all these modern companies even though indies also bore the shit out of me. That's factoring all the shitty jokes the VN had as well.

Also, he seems really innocent. People seem to harsh with him. Probably a young kid. If not, it's still cool to be a kid at heart.
He is like 30 years old man. Also you double replied you savage.

O-N-E

BTW, I realize now how stupid this argument was considered in this very thread I did a revenge-troll on brap brap by saying FF sucks except FF12.

I'm mostly kinda meh on the franchise, but XVI looks promising to me...

But yeah yeah GENERIC HEARTLESS SHITE etc.

No-one's allowed to like video games around here unless they came out 20 years ago.

brap

Banned
BTW, I realize now how stupid this argument was considered in this very thread I did a revenge-troll on brap brap by saying FF sucks except FF12.

I'm mostly kinda meh on the franchise, but XVI looks promising to me...

But yeah yeah GENERIC HEARTLESS SHITE etc.

No-one's allowed to like video games around here unless they came out 20 years ago.
It looks generic as fuck. Get some standards.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so just Vanillaware....

Lol.

ab42a669555fef30be2eea5a2c3e0915.jpg
What's wrong with the sorceress Jason?
I haven't read this entire thread, but the accusations I've seen - that I'm only doing this for pageviews; that I don't actually care about the things I'm saying; that my criticism is contributing to the mistreatment of women - are inappropriate, out of line, and rather disgusting. I won't address those.

I will, however, elaborate on my points, since it doesn't seem like I've been clear enough.

For reference, let's look at this picture of the sorceress. Other than her proportions, there are a couple of details worth noting. One is that her shirt is trying to escape from her chest. She also has a very childish face that resembles lolicon imagery. I don't think either of those features is beautiful or worth lauding in any way.

Now let's look at the gif that was posted earlier in this thread. Maybe you think it's reasonable, or beautiful, or aesthetically pleasing when a female character's breasts move like that during combat. I don't. I think it's demeaning and embarrassing.

See, I don't think the sorceress's design is problematic because of her large breasts. What's problematic is that the character is explicitly designed to draw our eyes to her large breasts. They're exposed; they're jiggling; they're disproportionate. They're immediately striking. They're part of a lolicon fantasy, drawn to appeal to people who are interested in lolicon fantasies (and people who are interested in large breasts).

So yes, maybe her design has something to do with fertility, or necromancy. Maybe she's a strong, multifaceted character with interesting thoughts and ambitions. None of that really matters, because her body is presented as a jiggling sexual object for people to leer at.

(To those of you who are ready to argue that the men in Dragon's Crown are sexually objectified as well, please google "adolescent male power fantasy" and read explanations from people more qualified than I.)

Go ahead and look at that gif again. I hope you can see how that might make people feel uncomfortable.

You could say that, examined in a vacuum, this is just a silly cartoon. But viewed as part of the video game industry - and it is, despite its niche, part of the video game industry - this is just another example of an exclusionary chunk of gaming culture. On Twitter yesterday, one person said to me, "I like how you complain about some games being 'made for men and only men' as if that's a bad thing." Are you kidding me? I sure hope I don't need to explain why that's not okay.

Some have accused me of singling out Dragon's Crown because Japanese niche games are easy targets for a westerner. That's just not true. I write a column every week about JRPGs. I'm criticizing this one because I don't want to see the genre headed in this direction. I want JRPGs with great female characters. Strong, complicated female characters who aren't defined by their sexuality, like Estelle in Trails in the Sky or Nanami in Suikoden II. Female characters who don't come across as aesthetic objects.

One more thing: I'm probably the only person here who has actually played Dragon's Crown, and I have no interest in seeing it burn. It's a fun, interesting game that I hope to buy and play and write about. Otherwise I wouldn't care this much.
You even play any Vanillaware game?

Last edited by a moderator:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
To my knowledge it exists for petty squabbles and talk about the site as a whole but it's mostly just people hanging out and sharing memes and shit. You're allowed to hang out because you're a Godzilla fan.
You're in the wrong topic, please start here first.

Yeah the Virgin thread is much better than this one
Less traffic, though less drama

-Arcadia-

Banned
It genuinely would be awesome if Virgin Gaf took off. Two conversational threads, for when one gets slow, and it's just funny that they're 'rivals', in a way.

Plus, I see some virgins self-exiling to Virgin Gaf, which just makes the whole thing more humorous.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It facilitates the original humor / tone that got drowned out once this thread became more active.

When people started talking videogames is when MetaGAF On Gaf OT died, and I have been a guilty participant in that. 🙏 :lollipop_weary:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don't think there's a wrong subject for MetaGaf. Outside of non-stop link wars, which probably did the most damage of all, the thread can pretty much be anything.

If anything, I like hearing people I know talk about videogames, as opposed to IFuckedYourMotherXbot69 over on Gaming Side.

Bit of a lull right now, but I find the thread generally enjoyable, and have for a while.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That just makes it sound like an Off Topic thread within the Off Topic board. Initially it was about trolling Nymphae Nymphae by keeping it as nonsensical and unrelated to the original purpose as we could.

In the end Nymphae Nymphae won... and memes lost, causing the Orphan of Kos thread known as VirginGAF to be born.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think the tone is just changing because a big bunch of the people are. Matt, MHK, Xaero, Brap, etc., for various reasons, from bans to different interests, haven't shown up as much. So there's new, different people, with different styles. Which isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom