• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac: Our ray-tracing is excellent and industry leading right now on console

Md Ray

ND isn't going to add more memory bandwidth to the PS5. Sorry.. you can't squeeze blood from a turnip.
Come again? This is ND's SSS on a 1.8 TFLOP GPU. Even her retina is scattering light in addition to her ears.

the-last-of-us-part-2-ellie-morning.jpg

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Right, So then you agree with my response, got it!

That was easy. :messenger_sunglasses:

I don't agree with the automatic 'victory' that many PS owners put on ND and the other exclusive devs that make games only for Sony.

Sorry man but that's very poor looking goosebumps as if he's putting AC on full while being naked. Those textures are pretty massive and unrealistic and look as cheap and bad as fuck. Look at how more organic and natural it looks here, and small as well. This supposed-to-be-generic NPC has a much denser skin details yet not as good as Miles Morales:

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-23h51m02s839.png

Bo - wtf are you doing dude? You are changing the narrative like no tomorrow. And you are doing it because you can't talk about the details of the algorithm that I"m speaking of because you aren't a graphics programmer. Just drop it dude. We are NOT talking about the normal maps. We aren't talking about the textures. We aren't talking about any of that. We are discussing SSS - and how a proper implementation is better than the MM ear mask technique found in pretty much all consoles games.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo - wtf are you doing dude? You are changing the narrative like no tomorrow. And you are doing it because you can't talk about the details of the algorithm that I"m speaking of because you aren't a graphics programmer. Just drop it dude. We are NOT talking about the normal maps. We aren't talking about the textures. We aren't talking about any of that. We are discussing SSS - and how a proper implementation is better than the MM ear mask technique found in pretty much all consoles games.

Ok Jump here, let's level you down to PS4:

Come again? This is ND's SSS on a 1.8 TFLOP GPU. Even her retina is scattering light in addition to her ears.

VFXVeteran

Banned

ALL of console games running the correct SSS implementation is ALWAYS in a cinematic. That's where they can push the resources to implement the best SSS algorithm.

YOU WILL NOT FIND IT IN GAMEPLAY.

I showed actual gameplay footage of the same complexity shown here in this cinematic.

Your post has a lot of conjecture regarding the Northlight engine.
We have no evidence Northlight could or couldnt manage a whole city if it needed to.

That's correct. We do know however that retooling an engine and re-crafting a rendering pipeline for on demand asset streaming of big open worlds is not easy - for anyone (including Sony's first party - and they usually sit at an advantageous position). It takes, literally, years. Which is why, in many respects, Halo: Infinite is in the state that is in, why Cyberpunk is hit with delay after delay and why it takes over 1k plus devs to pump the GTA's/Valhallas/Red Dead's of this world. Sony's first party have the luxury of developing for a single platform, and sharing knowledge across the board before anyone else even gets it (specific to the hardware). Which is why they perform way above their weight with a shorter numbers of developers.

I would be more inclined to believe otherwise considering Remedy's history, and even Control's history of its bug fest nature, and poor performance, not just on consoles, but even on PC. You can do a simple google search of the complaints. And that's for a "corridor" game, very compact even for "corridor" standards these days. If you have issues with a "corridor" game....

In other words, if you add several orders of magnitude of more moving parts I'm very inclined to believe the results wouldn't be up to par. Not even close, definitely not on their first outing - least.

No matter how it's framed Spider-man Miles Morales is a more graphically impressive game (than the examples provided) taking into consideration everything that's at play and rendered.

All we are doing right now is comparing Raytracing use/quality......and regardless of artstyle Controls Raytracing is beyond Miles Morales.....MM is only doing lower LOD Reflections and its not infinite distance ray firing which we wouldnt be able to compare anyway because MM has generally longer draw distances.

Moot point as you conclude yourself.

The amount of carnage in a scene in Control could easy rival MM and remember everything in Control is not only reflected, shadowed and has I.Diffuse lighting applied, most of the environments are heavily destructible and that generated debris isnt ignored by RT.

Don't agree here. You can have a side-activity in Miles Morales on a busy street where you engage with several enemy NPCs (varied, including vehicles) while the dynamic world around you is still moving, and even reacting to the "carnage". The number of variables is not comparable at all. In control everything is measured and limited to a boxed canvas. Here you fall into the dynamism trap and try to claim otherwise. It's not. But I guess you had to try... nothing lost with trying.

So objectively Controls Raytracing implementation is more impressive than Miles Morales.....subjectively the artstyle/art direction is up to whoever is judging.

No. For the reason stated above. There is no encounter in Control that will be more dynamic than encounters in Spider-man on the streets. Add swinging speed to the mix (in other words, draw calls for additional assets/geometry) and the strain on that rendering pipeline is not close either.

This will be my last post on the subject really because we are derailing the thread away from the point.

lol I'm pretty sure your intent was very clear, as in the other thread. As in any thread. I didn't call you out on that because who cares... but at least do not insult our intelligence here. We know who's who on Gaf - and what's troll bait and what's not. Just keep it real.

The Community Manager at Insomniac believes their RT solution is an Industry Leader on console....and I fully agree with him at this time..
An Industry Leader outright.......absolutely not.
If you want to test him tweet him and ask him....or anyone in the industry actually if they think Miles Morales is the Industry Leader outright....no developer/graphic artist/graphic programmer will say yes.
But as I said.
Dont want to derail the thread more than it already has been derailed.

Miles Morales is the Industry Leader of Raytracing on Console.

I agree too. They can't beat Minecraft when it comes to Ray-tracing implementation from the lens of pure technique terminology. I don't think anyone cares either that they don't. What people care about is the overall package - as presented. It's very probable that it takes more strain on the hardware to render a single frame in Spider-man's dynamic world than in Minecraft "ideal" implementation of Ray-tracing. Not to mention that the engine used to render both is not comparable.

What Insomniac has is the most impressive looking next-gen open-world game out there when everything is considered. And it will sit at the throne until another game comes out and dethrones it.

For the time being.... the earliest you could see a contender have a title shot is in December with Cyberpunk. And that debate will definitely be lively and interesting....for the 2 games, while similar, have different strengths - specially when it comes to on demand asset streaming at considerable speed. Draw distances will come to play, speed, and dynamism of the enviroment will come to play etc etc... no bike or car covers as much ground as a couple of Spider-man swings - specially with the added boost for Miles. And the hardware that will be compared is not even close to the same, which adds insult to injury. Gotta love it.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Insomniacs tech this current gen has been excellent. Ratchet and Clank looked outstanding on base PS4 and only looked better on the Pro. Insomniac absolutely knows what they’re doing.

Lol blueisviolet is a well known FUDster that’s been wrong so many times and so consistently that I’m not sure how they have a following at all. People really want to believe the opposing box is a lot weaker than theirs than it is, enough to believe blatant lies I guess.

Seems like it's the same thing with Dealer, Penello, TimDog, Kirby and Greenberg.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
His jacket in this picture is more detailed than my real-life jacket. Absurd.

Yes, come to think of it, it's unfair to compare it to third party. I think Insomniac is using 1 asset/model only, very high polygon like 8K, and using Atom View polygon/atom streaming per frame, which leads to zero pop ins and insane amount of clarity and sharpness. Epic Games have borrowed that from their collaboration with Sony and UE5 games should look as sharp with zero pop-ins as well but that's very dependent on how fast data can be streamed from the SSD. The promise from Xbox, AMD Radeon, and especially RTX 30 series of DirectStorage of up to 14GB/s is pretty promising though, at least 4K assets. This should massively reduce game sizes, just like how ridiculously small Spiderman MM game size is and yet have extremely high poly everywhere (50GB).

Romulus

Basically the only next gen game I've seen. I've been talking about how theres no leap really this gen, but this actually has one to my surprise.

Can we please not start supporting DF Sony shill conspiracies that mirror all the BS Sony fans constantly cry about DF Xbox shill conspiracies?

Those comments are from over 5 years ago and I feel John and ALL of the people at DF are professional and put aside any personal bias to present valuable and factual information.

Playing the long game eh.... :messenger_winking:

Richard won't hold forever :messenger_kissing_smiling:

Yes, come to think of it, it's unfair to compare it to third party. I think Insomniac is using 1 asset/model only, very high polygon like 8K, and using Atom View polygon/atom streaming per frame, which leads to zero pop ins and insane amount of clarity and sharpness. Epic Games have borrowed that from their collaboration with Sony and UE5 games should look as sharp with zero pop-ins as well but that's very dependent on how fast data can be streamed from the SSD. The promise from Xbox, AMD Radeon, and especially RTX 30 series of DirectStorage of up to 14GB/s is pretty promising though, at least 4K assets. This should massively reduce game sizes, just like how ridiculously small Spiderman MM game size is and yet have extremely high poly everywhere (50GB).
My hope is that this tech will eventually fix the pop-in problem. For me personally, it's the biggest immersion breaking thing (graphically speaking) about video games at the moment.

Md Ray

ALL of console games running the correct SSS implementation is ALWAYS in a cinematic. That's where they can push the resources to implement the best SSS algorithm.

I showed actual gameplay footage of the same complexity shown here in this cinematic.
That's SSS during gameplay, not cinematic. Look at her left knuckles.
491kzoj4p3951.jpg

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
His hand seems to be bigger than his head! :messenger_fearful:
That's because his hand is closer to the camera. Take your hand and bring it up to your face, bottom palm to your chin, finger tips to your forehead, it's only slightly smaller than your head. Take it from me, "The Fartist".

Self

We don't need to wait for Cyberpunk to judge RT implementations. That's what the thread is about.

What I mean is that I haven't seen a graphically more impressive RT game than MM. It has basically sold me on RT, whereas other games haven't. Maybe Cyberpunk will be able to match it.

This is more important than the higher quality character models I'm seeing in these next gen games. I don't know about other people but that would be my top priority when designing a game so I appreciate Remedy's approach.

I agree, at least partly (some games just don't need it). Physics engines have stagnated very much lately. I'm really thankful for remedys effort. I also think that control is a great game overall. It just can't match MM overall graphical fidelity. It doesn't take away anything from it's qualities though.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What I mean is that I haven't seen a graphically more impressive RT game than MM. It has basically sold me on RT, whereas other games haven't. Maybe Cyberpunk will be able to match it.

I agree, at least partly (some games just don't need it). Physics engines have stagnated very much lately. I'm really thankful for remedys effort. I also think that control is a great game overall. It just can't match MM overall graphical fidelity. It doesn't take away anything from it's qualities though.
You were sold on just reflections at 30fps but not on everything Metro and Control did, reflections included? Ok I guess

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thats the title screen demo thing though isnt it?.

Main menu, yes. But it's the same even in-game. Problem is, some here don't see it on 4K screens bit enough to appreciate the eye-melting details. Just look at this and zoom in, it looks like CGI or photography, you can't see pixelation which adds to my conclusion of usage of frame budget with single high polygon models/assets:

image_marvel_s_spider_man_miles_morales-42816-4526_0025.jpg

My hope is that this tech will eventually fix the pop-in problem. For me personally, it's the biggest immersion breaking thing (graphically speaking) about video games at the moment.

Yes, this might sound funny, but with sharp 4K gameplay it gets extremely bad compared to 1080p that has some blurriness that hides it slightly. At 4K it just slaps you on your face! But don't worry, I think by 2023-2024, all games using UE5 will have the massive edge, along with Sony WWS, in terms of polygons density and zero pop ins while enjoying small game sizes. That's unless Sony licenses the tech to 3rd party engines that don't use UE5 as it must be patented by Atom View (patents usually can remain exclusive for 12 years before you can use them under some percentage to the owner of the original tech, as I remember).

His hand seems to be bigger than his head! :messenger_fearful:

That's camera effect, the closer you get to the camera, the bigger it looks like. His hand is closer to the camera.

THEAP99

Banned
Main menu, yes. But it's the same even in-game. Problem is, some here don't see it on 4K screens bit enough to appreciate the eye-melting details. Just look at this and zoom in, it looks like CGI or photography, you can't see pixelation which adds to my conclusion of usage of frame budget with single high polygon models/assets:

Yes, this might sound funny, but with sharp 4K gameplay it gets extremely bad compared to 1080p that has some blurriness that hides it slightly. At 4K it just slaps you on your face! But don't worry, I think by 2023-2024, all games using UE5 will have the massive edge, along with Sony WWS, in terms of polygons density and zero pop ins while enjoying small game sizes. That's unless Sony licenses the tech to 3rd party engines that don't use UE5 as it must be patented by Atom View (patents usually can remain exclusive for 12 years before you can use them under some percentage to the owner of the original tech, as I remember).

That's camera effect, the closer you get to the camera, the bigger it looks like. His hand is closer to the camera.
that screengrab looks fucking unreal!

Self

You were sold on just reflections at 30fps but not on everything Metro and Control did? Ok I guess

No, control RT just doesn't vibe with me. I think controls simple geometry and lack of overall detail turned me of. Metro had some cool lightning, but I saw some footage of Battlefield which looked somehow more impressive.

But the insane amount of detail within the world of MM combined with the super real looking reflections seen on the large building of MM (vertigo scene) immediately struck me as impressive. Surely MM has a inherent advantage of a more suitable gameworld to present the RT features.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
No control RT just doesn't vibe with me. I think controls simple geometry and lack of overall detail turned me of. Metro had some cool lightning, but I saw some footage of Battlefield which looked somehow more impressive.

But the insane amount of detail within the world of MM combined with the super real looking reflections seen on the large building of MM (vertigo scene) immediately struck me as impressive. Surely MM has a inherent advantage of a more suitable gameworld to present the RT features.
Battlefield has only Reflections too. You are not impressed by RT than. You are impressed by the overall art direction.

Self

Battlefield has only Reflections too. You are not impressed by RT than. You are impressed by the overall art direction.

No, Control's art direction in superb and represents it's world quite perfectly.

I would say by the way RT is used and implemented within the existing game engine. But yes, art direction can play a huge part.

Control's RT is technically more advanced, I can see that, but it just doesn't impress when a simple and barren world gets ray-traced. Regarding Metro I can say that it looked quite good without RT, whereas MM doesn't vibe for me without RT. It really hits my buttons.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Those ground textures look insane. :lollipop_fearful: Definitely looks like CGI.

PaintTinJr

But at 18:18 are we really seeing it in gameplay? From what I can see the entire implementation is fenced in, with a nice lense fx to blend between very localised SSS, and then more of a Rage type graphics from the rest of the engine.

And because the fx is confined, and the entire section on rails, the local SSS could just as easily be a pre-calculated interactive video layer using Criware pre-depth/zbuffer tech(IIRC) - the stuff they use in Virtua Fighter 5 in engine rendering cinematics.

The scene looks good, but it is easy to see the edges of the layers of the tech. Might be easy to decompose on MM also, but I haven't seen it as an issue on my small laptop screen, but might on my 65" TV when I try it after PS5 UK release.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
That's pretty nice for them. Unfortunately, I found Spider-Man to be just another open-world game, though. But it looks pretty. Hey, if you have fun with it, by all means please enjoy. It's just that I found nothing "industry leading" in their game design so far.
And going by Metacritic, Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of the best games ever, apparently. And I found its game design very disjointed and there are clear signs where design decisions were in conflict with each other.

See the thing is that it’s not you who determines who or what is industry leading.

RGB'D

I'm not saying MM has better ray tracing, i'm saying MM is a better looking game, with or without ray tracing.
And my rig is fine thankyou. Its not a RTX card but its good enough for 1080p/60 max settings in games, and thats all i'm after until i get my 3080 in a few months.
Your rtx3080 might have you changing your mind. Art direction is subjective. MM looks great but I also wouldn't want Control to change their direction either. Both games look great but I wouldnt personally put MM ahead of Control. They are vastly different aesthetics. RT isn't even a conversation over which is more impressive though as Control blows it away. When you get your RTX card, load it up with DLSS and enjoy.

Top Bottom