• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvels spider-man 2 graphics disappointed

Msamy

What similarities exists between the two trailers where you think we can conduct a meaningful comparison? Different time of day, different ray tracing surface reflections (puddles vs windows and large body of water; both look much better than MM). Different suit for Peter.

The only reasonable comparison I see is Miles' suit, which looks comparable in both trailers.
1- Lighting even it's different time , the lighting in first trailer are very superior to that's of the last showcas.
2- textures quality.
3- characters model's quality, and I really don't even know how you see miles suit are comparable??

CGNoire

I still rate Horizon above Spider-Man 2 in terms of visuals and fidelity. But I'm also not an idiot to expect the same visual fidelity between the two when Horizon does not have the dense city, hundreds of NPCs, and faster traversal that Spider-Man 2 has to deal with.
When does Spiderman have hundreds of NPCs on screen?

You dont actually think they calculate the lives of the npc on the street when your not around ....do you?

1- Lighting even it's different time , the lighting in first trailer are very superior to that's of the last showcas.
2- textures quality.
3- characters model's quality, and I really don't even know how you see miles suit are comparable??

The character models are exactly the same. texture quality, same. lighting is different. the only difference i really notice is more aggressive DOF and motion blur

b1QlK33.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Supposedly a "next gen leap" at 20 fps vs 60 fps
Miles Spiderman 2 GIF - Miles Spiderman 2 Super slingshot - Discover &  Share GIFs
Artist Turns That Awesome Matrix Unreal 5 Showcase Into 'Superman' Flight  Demo

I'm sure it'll have the inevitable 60fps mode but that demo was in 30FPS (same as matrix) presumably in fidelity mode to show the best visuals possible and thats what they summoned.

Its an insult to the 80 man matrix team to even compare the visual fidelity of the two pieces of software.

Yes yes give a bullshit comparison , you either don't played the matrix or you don't know nothing about the graphics that you compare game look that like this
hrz21d5.jpg
RqVdmvd.jpg
UyMfMMN.jpg
wrh2kSK.jpg

To game that looks like this
QgMkwcI.jpg
AukZAbv.jpg
1ckFlEZ.jpg
xizGHfI.jpg
3vgeOCv.jpg

Dude, those Matrix screens show exactly what I'm talking about

Look how friggin' blurry it is! And nice job cherry picking some SM2 shots with hardly any geometric detail in them to somehow prove a point

Last edited:

CGNoire

What happened to all the people here who where claiming the whole time that Nanite like tech would be developed by Insomniac for SM2 "just you wait"?

Wheres all the "Sonys AAA studios will certainly have there own Nanite tech soon and SM2 will look just like the Matrix Demo" people now?

Ill repeat what Ive said countless times before....Nanite caught the industry with there pants down and it will be at least till 2028 for them to even begin to catch up.

Yes your facts that the matrix are looks bull shit and that spiderman 2 showcase looks freaking good

No I’m not saying that

I think matrix demo has better lighting and more realistic detail

But Spider-Man is not a game that sets out to be 900p at sub 30fps

It’s going for something more responsive with higher clarity and a stylized look. SM2 has to be a highly optimized playable game and not a fancy tech demo

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Miles Spiderman 2 GIF - Miles Spiderman 2 Super slingshot - Discover &  Share GIFs
Artist Turns That Awesome Matrix Unreal 5 Showcase Into 'Superman' Flight  Demo'Superman' Flight  Demo

I'm sure it'll have the inevitable 60fps mode but that demo was in 30FPS (same as matrix) presumably in fidelity mode to show the best visuals possible and thats what they summoned.

Its an insult to the 80 man matrix team to even compare the visual fidelity of the two pieces of software.

Ok so you want a superman game with a smaller fov and excessive camera shake to give off the illusion of speed. Gotcha.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
For those who come here tries to defend this shit showcase , if you come here to concvie me and other people's like me that this shit is next gen only game then please don't waste our time , this just shit for us

Interpretation: Leave us to our circlejerking and mindless critique of SM2. Lol, that's fine but allow some room for a little honesty and objectivity as opposed to picking the worst screen captures (anyone can do that with any game). Here, I can help. These are not bullshots, they are screens taken from a different playthrough. Notice how none of these gameplay frames are in the actual trailer, suggesting these are from a newer build (multi-tendril attack now happens in the street which is now textured in 2nd pic, more volumetric and detailed explosion in 4th pic).

bxbrzLf.jpg

fxnlCa7.jpg
eywqHwD.jpg

Oex7IsQ.jpg

Last edited:
Interpretation: Leave us to our circlejerking and mindless critique of SM2. Lol, that's fine but allow some room for a little honesty and objectivity as opposed to picking the worst screen captures (anyone can do that with any game). Here, I can help. These are not bullshots, they are screens taken from a different playthrough. Notice how none of these gameplay frames are in the actual trailer, suggesting these are from a newer build (multi-tendril attack now happens in the street which is now textured in 2nd pic, more volumetric and detailed explosion in 4th pic).

bxbrzLf.jpg

fxnlCa7.jpg
eywqHwD.jpg

Oex7IsQ.jpg

I've got to hand it to you..saying blatant bullshots are "from a different playthrough from a newer build" is a new one I haven't heard before! LOL

Guys just move on..the game looks like Miles Morales.
Hopefully we'll get some cool Venom gameplay that looks and feels different than the same stuff we've been doing for the past 2 offerings.

Last edited:
I've got to hand it to you..saying blatant bullshots are "from a different playthrough from a newer build" is a new one I haven't heard before! LOL

Guys just move on..the game looks like Miles Morales.
Hopefully we'll get some cool Venom gameplay that looks and feels different than the same stuff we've been doing for the past 2 offerings.

What makes you think they’re bullshots? Other than super sampling, everything is representative of game assets

Last edited:
Wait, are you disagreeing that they are from a different playthrough? Those frames simply don't exist in the gameplay trailer release. I don't even know how I to argue about something so easily verifiable.

If they're not from the trailer, what makes you think they're from a playthrough of a new build either? You could be wron and it could be bullshots. It could absolutely be either. The fact that they showed this after the conference, when they had however many minutes dedicated to putting together a trailer (where they'd want the game to be seem in the best light), makes me think these are more likely bullshots.

They had their chance and blew it for many of us. Now, perhaps this is an attempt at damage control. If these shots look better WHY DIDNT THEY USE THIS "OTHER PLAYTHROUGH" AT THE CONFERENCE?

why would you go off a hopeful guess and not what was shown? This boundless optimism you guys have always turns out to be WRONG. Last of Us 1 Remake says hello.

ProtoByte

I have to repeat that I don't know why we're using the term bullshots.

If anything, I'd say the screenshots look somewhat worse than the game in motion. Just due to the oversaturation and weirdly overprocessed look. There's really no change in texture quality, particle effects or anything like that.

I agree that the visuals aren't where the should be, but propose even further that the gameplay is a disappointment. This thread doesn't have to go in the direction I'd like, but I'd rather people talk about the gameplay as opposed to hyperfocusing on screenshots.

hyperbertha

I think you're just wrong on this. Especially wrt Tlou2 and Ratchet. But probably other games as well.
Im pretty sure I'm right. Go look at the npc facial animations in tlou demo, the lighting and visuals in ghost demo. There are comparison videos in this very thread about ratchet. And you seriously don't remember the debacle around watch dogs? Atleast do some research before commenting mate.

Wait, are you disagreeing that they are from a different playthrough? Those frames simply don't exist in the gameplay trailer release. I don't even know how I to argue about something so easily verifiable.

1.) I didn't find humor in you thinking it was just from a different playthrough. I found humor in you thinking it was from (in your words) a different playthrough from a different build. You literally have no idea what build it is to assume it was new.

2.) No shit "those frames don't exist in the gameplay trailer."
Even if it was the exact playthrough we saw, they can freeze-frame a particular action, detached the camera, snap a pic from a more favorable angle, then doctor the shit out of it after the fact.
Voila, a brand new image!

Insomniac showed the game in the best shape it can be showed in...and the actual game clearly looks just like Miles Morales.
Anyway, this thread is rough..I'm outta here.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
If they're not from the trailer, what makes you think they're from a playthrough of a new build either?

Because what is being shown doesn't happen in the trailer (but of course they are showing the same series of events). Peter never attacks a truck with his tendrils. The four goons are never lifted up in the street. There is never a moment when peter is gliding beside helicopter with simultaneous explosion in the distance. Again I don't see how this is an argument. It's not the same playthrough. And I've never heard of bullshots adding textures and changing where certain animations take place.

They had their chance and blew it for many of us. Now, perhaps this is an attempt at damage control. If these shots look better WHY DIDNT THEY USE THIS "OTHER PLAYTHROUGH" AT THE CONFERENCE?

Lol what chance did they blow? Insomniac doesn't give a shit what any of us think. There is no damage control going on. They know you all will quickly forget about your conjured up conspiracy theories and buy the game upon final release.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
1.) I didn't find humor in you thinking it was just from a different playthrough. I found humor in you thinking it was from (in your words) a different playthrough from a different build. You literally have no idea what build it is to assume it was new.

I stated it was a different playthrough (this is a fact). I suggested it is from a different build. One trailer has texture applied to the street and one does not. Which one would you assume is closer to final build using deductive reasoning?

Even if it was the exact playthrough we saw, they can freeze-frame a particular action, detached the camera, snap a pic from a more favorable angle, then doctor the shit out of it after the fact.
Voila, a brand new image!

But it's not the same playthrough, and that's my point.

Okaay What GIF by ABC Network

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
OK, I've been thinking about this and I've come to the conclusion that this is exactly what we can expect from the ps5 on this engine.

Let me pee some random thoughts from my butt.

The NVME and IO are clearly at play for us all to see and it's really impressive. Faster swinging through the city, a larger city with zero loading and instant switching between Peter and Miles. Its gonna be dope.

When we look at raw numbers I think the ps5 is actually doing well here and inline with what we expect.

My pee butt numbers are, ps4 pro was 4tf and delivering 30fps at a DRS 1440p right?

So the ps5 is 2.5 times more powerful than the ps4 Pro and it is delivering a dynamic higher than 1800p with raytracing and some slight improvements overall to tech etc. So I think it lines up. I imagine it will havea 60fps dynamic 1440p with raytracing and I think that's pretty much inline with the power difference and we see the huge improvements thanks to the nvme.

Just my thoughts on it.

Cant wait to play it. I'm over the initial disappointment. Insomniac will deliver a great game.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Lol what chance did they blow? Insomniac doesn't give a shit what any of us think. There is no damage control going on. They know you all will quickly forget about your conjured up conspiracy theories and buy the game upon final release.
I think it's pretty obvious that the response to the footage has been muted compared to what it could've been.

This will likely be a good game, but I can easily see it being lukewarm in comparison to the first - even more than Zero Dawn - Forbidden West.

I kinda hope it is. I'd prefer Insomniac to get their shit together and really focus on making Wolverine and a potential Spider-Man 3 competitive against the premier Sony first parties like SSM and ND.

Ok so you want a superman game with a smaller fov and excessive camera shake to give off the illusion of speed. Gotcha.
How on gods green earth is that what you extrapolated from my post?

Also some of that is just factually wrong. The FOV during the boost speed up is wider and calling that camera shake “excessive” is a plastic man level reach.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
why would you go off a hopeful guess and not what was shown?

I am going off of what they showed. Or do those official gameplay screenshots not count because they don't align with a certain narrative?

James and Chief working overtime on this one!

I'm at the tail end of a 6 week long vacation. Between that and getting older with new responsibilities, who knows if/when I'll get to spend countless hours on this thread again. Wish I knew of this place in my 20s. Anyways yeah, I'm going hard in the paint on this one because it's a sure bet with Insomniac. SM2 = best graphics of the year no question.

Msamy

bxbrzLf.jpg

fxnlCa7.jpg
eywqHwD.jpg

Oex7IsQ.jpg
Those are not from actual gameplay that they show , either photos are edited or from newer build , if they from newer build I will be happy , other wise what they shown is shit

Last edited:

Msamy

Insomniac already confirmed that the demo was from an earlier build.

So there is a newer build, which is where the new screenshots most likely came from.

I will be happy if it end like this, see this screenshot
0DHKhT4.jpg

Looks better in many ways (specially lighting) than this showcase shit
p4cyJwD.jpg

Last edited:

Msamy

But it's not the same playthrough, and that's my point.
Here is one
0DHKhT4.jpg
And this one frome gameplay in same location and daytime
p4cyJwD.jpg

And as I said the above above either edited or from different build that's looks way better than this shit that they shown which are taking about here

Here is one
0DHKhT4.jpg
And this one frome gameplay in same location and daytime
p4cyJwD.jpg

And as I said the above above either edited or from different build that's looks way better than this shit that they shown which are taking about here
Only thing different is lighting.:pie_eyeroll:
Models are the same.

I will say what I said to another troll. When the vast majority on here says it's underwhelming at best, and a PS4 game at worst, maybe you need to rethink your shilling.
I'll give you an A for effort. But... The texture and poly look the same from 2018. Buildings still look like soap boxes. Most objects have no ambient occlusion. Stop lying out your ass. This game looks NOWHERE NEAR horizon, demons souls and ratchet.
All true, but is the game finished yet? Nope, it’ll probably look a bit better at release but the question would be: how much. There are some older games that Sony didn’t want to touch with a tent pole, and then felt sorry at release because it looked way better at release. Demons souls e.g.

Markio128

I think it may be best to keep the pitchforks in storage until the game is actually released. Insomniac can achieve in 6 months what other devs can’t in a lifetime.

Top Bottom