• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - Expanded Marvel's New York

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Alright, alright, alright. Still think they are fleecing us with increased online tax. But this trailer at least reminds me of benefits of PS5. This is guaranteed to be my favorite game of the generation to date when it launches after watching the new trailer.
hey ya GIF

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
This is what they actually had shown in the first Spider-man reveal and it worked back then. People want to feel being Spider-man, nobody cares about those cringy cinematics they shown in the previous Spidey reveal.
I highly doubt it's that serious.

As for the "SSD is average" stuff, what is the speed and what is the average NVMe speed on PC?

Last edited:

Tqaulity

That is insane! Insomniac at it again!
Yep it is and people haven't really talked about the Ray traced reflections in that trailer. The city buildings all feature accurate reflections and there it looks like there is some RTAO in there as well (not sure on that one but we'll find out soon enough). The impressive part though is that framerate. Didn't see any dips and the framerate looks higher than 30fps (maybe 40fps mode for fidelity).

So much larger city with more geometric density, richer effects, much better lighting with full shadow casting lights, instant transitions, super smooth animations, city wide ray traced reflections all at 4K and 30+fps...Insomniac are magicians :messenger_beaming:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
No. It's the power of the custom I/O hardware (and APIs) done by Cerny and his team. SSD itself is actually average.

Yeah, I have a faster NVMe as the expanded storage in my PS5. I think sometimes ppl get caught up in the SSD talk and kinda overlook the custom I/O design. Or they just simplify it by just saying 'SSD'.
Yep it is and people haven't really talked about the Ray traced reflections in that trailer. The city buildings all feature accurate reflections and there it looks like there is some RTAO in there as well (not sure on that one but we'll find out soon enough). The impressive part though is that framerate. Didn't see any dips and the framerate looks higher than 30fps (maybe 40fps mode for fidelity).

So much larger city with more geometric density, richer effects, much better lighting with full shadow casting lights, instant transitions, super smooth animations, city wide ray traced reflections all at 4K and 30+fps...Insomniac are magicians :messenger_beaming:
Yeah, there is alot to talk about with this trailer but the reflections do look good. I get why they are being overlooked, lol.

I'm waiting for the pop in, LOD analysis. Everything is moving so fast....need some slow downs, lol.

MiguelItUp

Looking better and better, I can feel a bit of hype which is exciting. But honestly, I may just wait for the PC version. :pie_thinking:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No. It's the power of the custom I/O hardware (and APIs) done by Cerny and his team. SSD itself is actually average.

I mean, it's "average" now (still very fast though), at release it wasn't. And the I/O complex with the decompression hardware etc means it can punch above its weight without wasting any CPU or GPU resources (which you need to do to achieve the same data transfer speeds on PC).

Last edited:

Stooky

Nobody really? Then how come I often see other people bringing up this subject, and why are there multiple videos talking about the flaws of the web swinging in these games? And so many people who preferred the system in the older games.
The people who don't care about assisted web swinging are usually people who don't really plan to do that much free roam, and only use the traversal gameplay just to go from point A to point B. If you're someone who really like experimenting with gameplays and making your own fun, then this system is too restrictive because you can't get creative with it, it's all pre determined.

If we had more control over it, if we could play around with the physics, it would involve more creativity and would allow for more fun on the long term, more depth.

Sure some people don't care about it, but they only just beat the story, did a few side things, and stopped playing the game after 20 hours. I have 90 hours on it and I can tell you the web swinging is really lacking in depth. It does look fantastic visually, I won't deny that, the animations are amazing, it's all beautiful, but it lacks some manual control. If anything, an optional hardcore swinging mode or something would be great.
Just because people bring it up doesn't make it a good idea. Its a vocal minority. If that feature was added gamers would just fast travel everywhere like they do with GTA and RDR. You don't what that getting in the way of aerial battles etc. Spidey is really good at webslinging where is the fun in making him fail at it? Everything does not need to be gamified. Its not webslinging the game. You do a lot of traversal across the city, now you are sayings lets make that challenge too? You put 90hrs, they did enough to keep you in that world. In this instance don't over design what works, keep it simple. I don't think people want Death Stranding in Spiderman.

Last edited:

Larxia

Just because people bring it up doesn't make it a good idea. Its a vocal minority. If that feature was added gamers would just fast travel everywhere like they do with GTA and RDR. You don't what that getting in the way of aerial battles etc. Spidey is really good at webslinging where is the fun in making him fail at it? Everything does not need to be gamified. Its not webslinging the game. You do a lot of traversal across the city, now you are sayings lets make that challenge too? You put 90hrs, they did enough to keep you in that world. In this instance don't over design what works, keep it simple. I don't think people want Death Stranding in Spiderman.
I'm not asking for it to be turned into some kind of over complicated simulation, just a mode where you can have more fun with the physics and the swinging.

For example, you can't hold on your web as long as you want to, and this is annoying to me. Spider-Man will automatically let go of the web after some height, which limits the kind of stuff you can do, doing a full turn / flip around a crane for example isn't possible.
In the PS2 games you could hold on to your web as long as you wanted, you had a full control on how and when you wanted to let go, you could experiment with your webs and try different, unscripted things, this was fun for me. You could even throw webs from both hands inbetween two buildings and use that as a swing, things like this. You can really notice in the modern games how weird the physics is when you try to hold on a single web and rotate around object, spider-man will just kind of float weirdly.

Comparing that to death stranding is really exagerated and unfair. It worked totally fine in the ps2 games and it was nowhere near as complex as you make it sound. The insomniac version has its benefit, like really good animations, swinging variety etc, but I would like for it to be more engaging, less automated, more fun.

And about the fact that I spent 90 hours in it meaning it's "enough"... I've always loved spider-man games since the ps2, I really like them and I know what they can / could do, the swinging concept is something I really love, which is why I'm so invested in this and want more depth into it. I also played the game two times, and a good chunk of hours was put into making this video lol :

Last edited:
Yeah this is dope, graphics are amazing but it just looks fun to play. I really wanna swing around at these crazy speeds. SSD justified.

The only thing I wish they would implement is a level of danger while swinging, whether its health loss or death if you dive headfirst off a tall building into concrete.
I wish they would ad a manual toggle for wall running and stuff so if you didn't react fast enough you'd smash head on into the side of a building and die or get hurt haha.

Robbinhood

Banned
Yeah this is dope, graphics are amazing but it just looks fun to play. I really wanna swing around at these crazy speeds. SSD justified.

The only thing I wish they would implement is a level of danger while swinging, whether its health loss or death if you dive headfirst off a tall building into concrete.
Holy shit they did this!

Fall damage is togglable Boyz! Lets fuking go!

Last edited:

John Wick

I remember once upon a time some ppl were doubting Insomniac...

Imagine doubting Insomniac..
You would think by now people on this forum would have learnt that the spit and polish happens right at the end of development. Yet we get the same nonsense everytime.

midnightAI

For example, you can't hold on your web as long as you want to, and this is annoying to me. Spider-Man will automatically let go of the web after some height, which limits the kind of stuff you can do, doing a full turn / flip around a crane for example isn't possible.
You can do full 360's (loop de loop) in Spider Man 2, already confirmed as is fall damage if you want

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Tim gettys said there's still loading when entering a building for a mission...

bet its like one second.

The hype from these twitter posts.

The best super hero game of all time? Holt poop. Could deffo win goty then

Zok310

Banned
That's like saying you shouldn't be able to fall in tony hawk because he's an experienced skater or something... If you can't mess up because you're playing with an experienced character, then all games with powerful characters should be easy af.
This video explains what I'm talking about:

People want to swing non stop not worry about gravity. We playing a video game with a character that got SUPER POWERS after being bit by a spider, why we complaining about physics😂😂😂😂

Larxia

People want to swing non stop not worry about gravity. We playing a video game with a character that got SUPER POWERS after being bit by a spider, why we complaining about physics😂😂😂😂
Because it's fun? It makes you more involved. I never talked about some super complicated simulation or whatever, I don't know why some people in this thread get this idea.
I'm just saying that when you jump from a building, you get much more adrenaline when there is a risk, when you don't know the outcome of what you're going to do, when you have to be more careful, compared to when everything is safe and automated.

Take a game where you can do some free falling or wingsuit gliding, you never had moments like this where you try to glide near a slope, mountain or something, as close as possible but without touching it? If you knew touching it wouldn't do anything, just slightly push you back, it wouldn't have the same feeling at all. Adrenaline comes from risk.

This is obviously just an example, I'm not asking for spider-man to be crushed if you swing too fast into a building, but being able to have more controls on your web, hold onto them as long as you want to swing back and forth, being able to use actual momentum instead of a scripted one, these are all things that would make web swinging a lot more engaging and fun.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
One of the few real next gen features of this gen so far. When PS5 / XBX released I thought things like this would be common place in every game. Oh how wrong I was.
The crew motorfest also does this. It’s actually both ways. When you open the map, it zooms out to show the actual map in 3d then zooms back in after you fast travel. It’s pretty cool.

CGNoire

Because it's fun? It makes you more involved. I never talked about some super complicated simulation or whatever, I don't know why some people in this thread get this idea.
I'm just saying that when you jump from a building, you get much more adrenaline when there is a risk, when you don't know the outcome of what you're going to do, when you have to be more careful, compared to when everything is safe and automated.

Take a game where you can do some free falling or wingsuit gliding, you never had moments like this where you try to glide near a slope, mountain or something, as close as possible but without touching it? If you knew touching it wouldn't do anything, just slightly push you back, it wouldn't have the same feeling at all. Adrenaline comes from risk.

This is obviously just an example, I'm not asking for spider-man to be crushed if you swing too fast into a building, but being able to have more controls on your web, hold onto them as long as you want to swing back and forth, being able to use actual momentum instead of a scripted one, these are all things that would make web swinging a lot more engaging and fun.
Keep fighting the good fight.

These jokers keep trying to retroactively pretend like everyone didnt praise and love Spiderman 2 2004's freeform swinging and all the creative expression and risk and reward it brought us. Fucking sad.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Keep fighting the good fight.

These jokers keep trying to retroactively pretend like everyone didnt praise and love Spiderman 2 2004's freeform swinging and all the creative expression and risk and reward it brought us. Fucking sad.
What is sadder is that people are not doing that and people got the actual designer of Spider-Man 2’s web swinging mechanics playing Marvel Spider-Man 1 and he liked it… so chill :p.

Top Bottom