• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel: Spider Man 2 is 30 hours long

MrA

Banned
Does the gameplay level design justify the length is the only question that matters or is a shorter game heavily replayable
Personally I think the 10 hourish arkham asylum was the best of the super hero games, but 17 hour main story sounds fine by me as long the gameplay, design and story support it, better than a 100 hour grindfest

DryvBy

Good. I don't want something too short or too long. BG3 is killing my game time right now with some other games.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
epic “80-100 hour game.”
Bw0Zo3C.gif

Knowing Insomniac, 80-100 hour game they've made for sure would've been anything but "epic" and even more of a borefest than 25-30 hours in the first Spider-Man game. 25-30 hours is still too much for what they think open world game should be, 20 hours even already crossing the line tbh.

Last edited:

acm2000

"fans looking for a lengthy Spiderman experience may be disappointed"

Fucking get over yourselves, it's a single player game so 15-30 hours is spot on, it's not a huge open world adventure like Starfield, GTA, etc etc and never has been.

Kerotan

Perfect length for me. "It's not all about adding extra inches it's how you use them." - Vincent Teoh probably..

Good to hear that the story is around the 20 hour mark. It doesn’t need to be any longer. 50+ hour games rarely have the necessary staying power to not be dropped by me.

Markio128

‘For instance - there are 10 levels of Swing Assistance on that slider. The game starts at the default (from the previous games!) is Level 10. So it’s a feature we let players turn down to get /less/ assistance if they want.‘​

Nice! Should please some of those unhappy with the swinging in the first game.

I’m going to have to try level 1 just for a laugh.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Perfect length honestly.

Would rather get SM2 in 2-3 years (vs. Ratcher or Miles, depending on perspective) than having to wait 5 years for a bloated Horizon/God of War that could have used an editor or narrower scope. Neither of those two titles needed to take 5 years and probably would have been better for it without so much bloat.
I prefer it when the camera zooms into an NPCs face and they robotically stand there blabbing on for 50 minutes about how they once worked in a shop with incoherent poorly written dialog, that is there purely to pad out the games runtime from 30 hours to a super bloated 120 hours.

I am is being modernz gamer,

/s

Last edited:

mdkirby

Why does it take me 50% longer than everyone else to beat games?!?!

quantum-leap.gif
Haha I’m the same. I’ve grown worse over the years too. I take my time, I don’t rush, I explore nooks and crannies, and faff around a lot, exhaust every dialogue option…but now it’s 2023, so I’m also hopelessly addicted to a glowing black rectangle permanently attached to my hand which I need to compulsively fiddle with every few minutes…which stretches games out even longer.

Crayon

Haha I’m the same. I’ve grown worse over the years too. I take my time, I don’t rush, I explore nooks and crannies, and faff around a lot, exhaust every dialogue option…but now it’s 2023, so I’m also hopelessly addicted to a glowing black rectangle permanently attached to my hand which I need to compulsively fiddle with every few minutes…which stretches games out even longer.

I've always been like this. The phone doesn't distract me while I'm playing so it's always been down to a.dificulty b.dillyallying and c.... navigation. God get so turned around. I've gotten a little better: when I finally made a mental note to look for a ladder. I never see the fucking ladder. I also dillydally a lot. Inventory screens with too many stats get me, too. I stare at that shit so long.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Perfect length for a game, anything more usually starts to feel like a job and a race to get it completed before the next good game comes out. In a busy season such as this one with so many good games to come out it's good to know I'll have the time to play them all to the fullest without having to rush anything.

mdkirby

I've always been like this. The phone doesn't distract me while I'm playing so it's always been down to a.dificulty b.dillyallying and c.... navigation. God get so turned around. I've gotten a little better: when I finally made a mental note to look for a ladder. I never see the fucking ladder. I also dillydally a lot. Inventory screens with too many stats get me, too. I stare at that shit so long.
Yeah, my adhd tendencies cause me issues, and inventory screens stress me the fuck out. I particularly despise carry weights, as I feel compelled to pick everything up and horde everything. Then it forces me to painfully make decisions about what to destroy/keep for no apparent reason. Literally the only thing that makes sense to have a carry weight for is ammo/health packs.

Ultra Donny

Perfect length for a game in my opinion. Ps5 owners enjoy. How are the side quests in previous games, do they feel meaningful and varied?

Certinty

More than happy with that, far too many games these days drag out far too much for their own good.

A little surprised the story is around the same length as the first game though, especially given this has two different playable characters each with their own stories.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Thank god. It didn't need 25 hours of "swing through the rings!" bloat.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm actually more interested in the game now. The length (bloat) of some games is completely absurd these days. I strongly believe in all killer, no filler.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Hmm i liked the shorter version of Miles Morales better. Let's see if they can fill the map with more exciting things this time.

Last edited:

R3TRODYCE

That sounds awful, I was hoping 10-12 max. I still haven’t beat GoW:R because of the length and the fact it bored me to sleep.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Perfect length honestly.

Would rather get SM2 in 2-3 years (vs. Ratcher or Miles, depending on perspective) than having to wait 5 years for a bloated Horizon/God of War that could have used an editor or narrower scope. Neither of those two titles needed to take 5 years and probably would have been better for it without so much bloat.
I think games should return to the basic 15-20 hours runtime, diminish costs and shorten the release spaces between them

And for god sake not everything has to be fucking openworld

SCB3

I think games should return to the basic 15-20 hours runtime, diminish costs and shorten the release spaces between them

And for god sake not everything has to be fucking openworld
Yea tight contained games can be fantastic, it’s why I’ll always put Dark Souls over Elden Ring, open world games can get too bloaty

Spiderman however is a ideal example of a good open world, it’s fun to swing around New York, I’m fine with this length, the first 2 games were around the same and were amazing

saintjules

I'm guessing more than 19 inches?

Hah. I just find these 'the game is this long' comments/articles silly. Not everyone plays the same way. Nor at the same speed. Nor at completionist's pace. One person will play for 40 hours and another half that if they're bypassing side content.

I'll probably get an average idea once data is compiled by players below. I'll definitely be savoring my playthrough as I don't usually do multiple playthroughs.

Last edited:

nowhat

Hah. I just find these 'the game is this long' comments/articles silly. Not everyone plays the same way. Nor at the same speed. Nor at completionist's pace. One person will play for 40 hours and another half that if they're bypassing side content.
I get you (but it was just such an obvious joke to make that I couldn't resist myself). The first game is among a handful that I've platinumed, not because of my e-peen (I really don't care for trophies that much), but just because it was so fun to be Spider-Manning across Manhattan. And it took way above the average completion time. We'll see if that's the case this time around.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The older I get, the shorter I wish AAA games were. The magic number for me is 8 hours these days. Let’s me beat a game in 3 or 4 sessions.

Still, if this is 17-30 hours, I’ll probably be able to blitz through it in around 15, if I don’t worry about side quests.

I wish I still had a ton of time to game, but adult life be adulting.

Pelta88

I was going to post receipts but instead, Perspective.

SSE0oub.jpg

Since a few here are being disingenuous with their complaints.

steve-harvey-im-just-saying.gif

Last edited:

Xtib81

30hrs if you do everything in the game, so more like 20hrs for most gamers, just like the first game. Tbh, given the side content in spider man, 30hrs is already too much though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom