• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 has sold more than 2.5 million copies in the first 24 hours

MtSN6lC.png

It sold bucket loads, holy fuck. I'm always in awe to remember how big Spidey is as a brand.

Press release is up. I requested a thread title change from the mods.

SAN MATEO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, Sony Interactive Entertainment announced that Marvel’s Spider-Man 2, developed by Insomniac Games in collaboration with PlayStation Studios and Marvel Games, has sold more than 2.5 million copies to become the fastest-selling PlayStation Studios game in PlayStation history in the first 24 hours.

“Insomniac Games holds itself to incredibly high standards when it comes to delivering engaging and innovative gameplay experiences,” said Eric Lempel, SVP, Global Marketing, Sales, and Business Operations, Sony Interactive Entertainment. “Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 is Insomniac Games’ third installment in the franchise for PlayStation. Built from the ground up to take advantage of the unique features of PlayStation 5, the goal was to massively build off the action, storylines, and features from the first two games. With an epic storyline, two playable Super Heroes, a visually-stunning Marvel’s New York, and so much more, this is a game you can get lost in for hours. On behalf of Sony Interactive Entertainment, I want to say thank you to the fans - we truly hope you are enjoying your time playing as Peter and Miles in this amazing adventure.”

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I know it doesnt make sense financially or whatever, but yeah, that's what Id like at this point. Let me dream.

Rocksteady had no experience with superhero type games and they created their own sub genre, combat system etc. Miracles can happen.

Believe me I get it that no major publisher takes risks anymore with well known IP. And it sucks.
I mean, making a AAA game that likely costs >$200 million and is M-rated is a huge risk already.

No offense, but what you're suggesting doesn't necessarily equate to taking risks. It'd be borderline stupidity for a publisher to fund such a huge game to one of those studios.

Daedlic Entertainment "took risk" with Gollum, and see how that played out. In hindsight, everyone could see that it wasn't really a risky move. It was sheer stupidity.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
Sorry, I was just saying probably one of the biggest IPs in all of pop culture being made into a 90+ MC game by the biggest gaming company in the world with a 41 million console base should do a little better than a quarter of what Tears of the Kingdom did, but hey still pretty great.

Sorry, I was just saying probably one of the biggest IPs in all of pop culture being made into a 90+ MC game by the biggest gaming company in the world with a 41 million console base should do a little better than a quarter of what Tears of the Kingdom did, but hey still pretty great.

I still believe its successful.

Mowcno

Good job It did then. ToTK 10 mil in 72 hours, not 24. Spiderman will probably be over 4.5m with Saturday+Sunday added. TLOU Part II did 4m in it's opening weekend and this sold more in it's first day than that and Ragnarok.

Last edited:
Good job It did then. ToTK 10 mil in 72 hours, not 24. Spiderman will probably be over 4.5m with Saturday+Sunday added. TLOU Part II did 4m in it's opening weekend and this sold more in it's first day than that and Ragnarok.

It still is extremely successful like you said. It doesn't matter how many games Nitendo sells Spiderman-2 numbers are still very good. Now compare them to Sonys direct competitor.

Mowcno

It still is extremely successful like you said. It doesn't matter how many games Nitendo sells Spiderman-2 numbers are still very good. Now compare them to Sonys direct competitor.
The comparisons to ToTK is the dumbest downplay attempt I've seen. I guess we should now compare all future Nintendo games to ToTK.

Or every future game "Well it's ok but it's not GTA V sales is it." in every sales thread lmao.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Why the fuck does every irrelevent "promotional" twitter post require its own thread?

Like who gives a shit if a billion dollar company is doing well or if a billion dollar IP is selling well? Why should the average gamer give a fuck? Im not a goddamm shareholder?
Why respond to it? lol. Dumbass

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Goes to show how the vast majority of sales are from casuals. Word of mouth must be huge. Maybe they simply didn't know it came out and it will continue to sell really well as more and more people find out it's out. 2.5 seems low for such a huge userbase. I know it isn't before I get quoted, it just seems low when there are so many PS5s out there and no big exclusive in a while.

You guys don't realize how dumb this is when you consider some of the biggest games ever don't even sell this much on the PlayStation platform alone.

Dr. Suchong

Why the fuck does every irrelevent "promotional" twitter post require its own thread?

Like who gives a shit if a billion dollar company is doing well or if a billion dollar IP is selling well? Why should the average gamer give a fuck? Im not a goddamm shareholder?
rw7byy0.gif

MacReady13

I think what is more important to Sony's bottom line is- how many HOURS have been played so far? How many steps have us fans walked as Spiderman and Miles? How many webs have we swung? These are all the stats Sony should want- FUCK SALES... Put it on PS+ so we can play it for FREE!!!!!!!

In all seriousness though, great result for Sony and for single player games. Shame the game is a broken woke fest.

Klayzer

They'd love nothing more but for PlayStation and Nintendo to join the ridiculous cash burn race.

That's all this is and has ever been about, wanting their competitors to "compete" on their terms in order to put them in compromising positions.
Absolute truth. Thankfully, Sony and Nintendo are not as gullible as a certain faction of the industry.

Last edited:

Caio

These are great numbers, congrats Insomniac. The first week sales should also be very interesting; PS5 global user base around 45M, right now, always number one in the Global weekly selling charts, so I suppose the Sad, frustrating, potentially super disrespectful news dropping tomorrow about Playstation are the ones mentioned above, isn't it ?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Just to humor the TotK and userbase argument...

Zelda did 10 million in 72 hours, right? So, for giggles, that's 8% of the Switch userbase (125m in May) in three days. Spider-Man 2 sold 6.1% in just one (41m).

If Spidey hits 5 million in 72 hours (which is not only likely, but guaranteed), wouldn't that mean (correct me if I'm wrong) it is selling to a higher percentage of its userbase (TotK = 8% vs Spidey =12%) in the same timeframe?

Last edited:
Top Bottom