• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 – Venom Actor Says Only 10% of His Recorded Dialogue Was Used in the Game

Draugoth

Gold Member
marvels-spider-man-2-image-1536x864.jpg

Via GamingBolt
Venom being Marvel’s Spider-Man 2’s main antagonist was among the bigger reasons the game generated as much excitement in the lead-up to its launch as it did, and with the game now more than a month old, it’s fair to say that the iconic villain lived up expectations. Interestingly, however, it seems only a fraction of the voice recording that voice actor Tony Todd did for Venom made it into the final game.

The same was confirmed by Todd recently at Fan Expo San Francisco (via @Okami13_ on Twitter), where he revealed that only about 10% of all the dialogue he recorded for Venom was used in Marvel’s Spider-Man 2. Meanwhile, as reported by Culture Crave, Todd also revealed that a scene that he recorded voice lines for would have seen the Symbiote passing on to Miles Morales, though the idea was scrapped and removed from the game.

Developer Insomniac Games has previously suggested that it might develop a spinoff focused on Venom should there be enough demand for one amongst fans. With so much of Todd’s work as Venom apparently not having been used in Marvel’s Spider-Man 2, could it perhaps be being saved for a standalone game?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Miles having the Venom was obvious considering he has like 4 fucking unique and nice looking venom skins and Peter has..... like 1 besides the original lmao but they prolly realized gamers wouldnt agree with Parker just being sidelined and having nothing... seems like a writing mess between pandering to the extreme or not.

zapper

venom lived up to expectations
giphy.gif

Aside from Kraven who is a lame antagonist, if there's one thing they've missed it's Venom, giving him a third of the screen time of mj lol

zapper

Miles having the Venom was obvious considering he has like 4 fucking unique and nice looking venom skins and Peter has..... like 1 besides the original lmao but they prolly realized gamers wouldnt agree with Parker just being sidelined and having nothing... seems like a writing mess between pandering to the extreme or not.
I'm not that knowledgeable about the comic but it's very clear that it's a mess of writing, in fact, the statements from the voice actor of Venom confirm it 200%.
I don't know how badly forspoken is written because I haven't played it but the award for worst writing of the year should be between that and spiderman2

Kinda of dirty that the likely DLC voice acting was done with the initial games voice acting.
A lot of games will do this when they don't have the content ready but they have the speaking lines and conceptual scenes ready. If you're curious, the Overwatch 1 behind the scenes videos gave an interesting explanation as to how this works. For example they would have VOs record lines for a character who was internally confirmed but literally didn't exist yet in model form for months to come.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Funny people automatically assume it means Venom DLC.
the reality is they cut it to fit other "more important" stuff in
As for future Expansions, don't tell me you don't know it'll be Miles DLC

RickSanchez

Gold Member
makes sense because i felt like Venom was on screen for less than an hour total throughout the game. Whenever he was on screen it was fucking awesome but we got so little of him.

In general, so many things were mishandled in this game's story. Killing major villains off-screen. Very low screen time to both Kraven and Venom (who were supposed to be the main antagonists). Rushing through Peter's own symbiote arc. Lizard got barely more than a cameo, just wasted. Black Cat got barely more than a cameo.

The Venom parts of the game were vastly superior to the rest of it for me. Felt like the didn't take off until then.

And I mean.. Venom >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kraven

stn

Give me Maximum Carnage DLC! Complete with a remade OST (the original OST still bangs).

Top Bottom