• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Marvel's Spider-Man 2' video game director teases potential Venom spinoff: 'We're gonna listen to the fans'

6525854b55f52b01b35b3cf5

• The senior narrative director of the new "Marvel's Spider-Man 2" video game spoke to Insider.
  • Jon Paquette teased the possibility of a Venom spinoff.
  • Paquette also recalled how "Candyman" star Tony Todd was cast as the voice of Venom.
At the end of 2018's "Marvel's Spider-Man," Insomniac Games delivered the tantalizing tease that Peter Parker's absent best friend Harry Osborn was being treated for an incurable disease using a familiar black goo — the Venom symbiote.

Now, Venom himself is set to be unleashed in New York City in the highly anticipated "Marvel's Spider-Man 2," which is released on PlayStation 5 on Friday.

"I want this to be one of the best Venom stories you've ever experienced. We'll see what the reviewers have to say," the game's senior narrative director Jon Paquette told Insider in a recent interview.

Horror fans might recognize the gravelly voice behind Venom because "Candyman" star Tony Todd provided Venom's monstrous tones.

Paquette told Insider that "Spider-Man 2" creative director Bryan Intihar was the one who came up with the idea to cast Todd.

"He probably saw a new 'Candyman' trailer or something. He heard the voice and was like, 'Hey, what about Tony Todd?' He texted everybody and was like, 'What do you guys think?' And we're like, 'Oh, my God. That would be amazing,'" said Paquette.

"So, we brought Tony in and he submitted a few lines for kind of an audition. And it was like, 'Oh, my gosh, this is the exact vibe that we're going for,'" recalled the narrative director. "He fits it perfectly. Once Brian had the idea we were all like, 'How do we make this happen?'"

'Marvel's Spider-Man 2': Will there be a Venom spinoff?​

When asked about the possibility of a Venom spinoff game in the same vein as 2020's "Spider-Man: Miles Morales," Paquette said they're waiting to see the reaction from fans.

"So, here's what we're doing. We're focused on 'Spider-Man 2,' and what we're gonna do is we're gonna wait to see how the fans react," he said. "We're gonna listen to the fans and we're gonna ask ourselves, 'Okay, what do the fans really want?'"

"We'll kind of talk about stuff after we've all had time to sleep and take vacations," he added.

Paquette said the team behind "Spider-Man 2" drew inspiration from Venom's storied comic book history — which could also serve as inspiration for a Venom-centric story.

"Man, I remember as a kid being in my friend's bedroom reading 'Secret Wars' and seeing the origin of the black suit," Paquette said. "We went from there all the way to the crazy Knull, Klyntar kind of stuff."

"There's such a rich universe there, and there's a lot that the comics have done. We tried to take all that in, and then forget about it, and think about what would be best for our characters and our franchise," added Paquette.

Roni

Gold Member
Made a thread about it earlier. Would be surprised if Venom is not already playable in 2...

Mowcno

How is this not a asset flip at this point? The same exact environment and systems for 4 straight games?
Because unlike an asset flip they are incredibly well made, universally praised and full of attention to detail, polish and the skilful work of masterful developers putting in the care the game deserves.

Asset flips do not get 91 Metacritic and Asset flips do not get 131 review with every single one giving 8/10 or higher.

How is this not an asset flip at this point? The same exact environment and systems for 4 straight games?
The (first) game does a good job of making the most out of New York by changing the enemy encounters and events. Miles Morales happens during Christmas, so there’s Snow and decorations everywhere. I know this won’t sound as much for someone that doesn’t care about there game, but visually it adds flair. They have also expanded with the interiors. SM2 also seems more green and the first encounter with Sandman has the streets covered in sand.

That said, the first game was already a pretty decent recreation of New York. A new game could take place in a different country or state, but I can’t imagine people expecting to go from a somewhat accurate New York to a less accurate New York.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Enough fucking Venom. He sucked in the 80's and still sucks. There is 60 years of great other villains to choose from. Move on......

It's like how DC continues to use the Joker in Batman games

Last edited:

geary

Spider Man 1 - Main Game includes MM
Spiderman: MM - Side Game with MM
Spiderman 2 - Main Game Includes MM and Venom
Spiderman: Venom - Side game with Venom
Spiderman 3 - Main Game includes MM, Venom & ???

Seems legit...

ProtoByte

I prefer them not do another spinoff. Just make Spider-Man 3 and let Peter still have the symbiote. No, that's not a spoiler, I don't know how SM2 ends.

Labolas

DO NOT PUT Harry in the suit. For the love of God. Let his cripple ass stay bedridden forever. If you want to give fans what they want put Brock as Venom. And look, I don't think Brock is the most compelling as Venom, that is Flash Thompson, but if you want to make money, put Eddie back in the suit.

And preferably, I would rather have a straight forward action game than some open world game again.

Last edited:

MAtgS

DO NOT PUT Harry in the suit. For the love of God. Let his cripple ass stay bedridden forever. If you want to give fans what they want put Brock as Venom. And look, I don't think Brock is the most compelling as Venom, that is Flash Thompson, but if you want to make money, put Eddie back in the suit.

And preferably, I would rather have a straight forward action game than some open world game again.
Eh, I'm fine with not having Eric from That 70s Show in an Insomniac game.

Besides,
The Venom symbiote died anyway. Venom's done.

Last edited:

Labolas

Eh, I'm fine with not having Eric from That 70s Show in an Insomniac game.

Besides,
The Venom symbiote died anyway. Venom's done.
'Yeah which is weird that they would say they're willing to a Venom spin-off game.

Nah give me this Eddie Brock.

venom_movie_easter_eggs_references_eddie.jpg

rmqj54deqxda1.jpg

Because unlike an asset flip they are incredibly well made, universally praised and full of attention to detail, polish and the skilful work of masterful developers putting in the care the game deserves.

Asset flips do not get 91 Metacritic and Asset flips do not get 131 review with every single one giving 8/10 or higher.
There's a thread on Gaf "buggiest Sony AAA ever".

Camreezie

I hope not. Theres enough of Venom in SM2. Id rather they focus on Wolverine or SM3 and alternate between marvel and non marvel projects

There's a thread on Gaf "buggiest Sony AAA ever".
Its still massively less buggy than pretty much every other non-Sony game.

Then listen to the fans and make a new ip.
Nah, I want Spider-Man 3, Venom, Wolverine and the X-Men, and so on. Insomniac is the only one making good superhero games anymore, I don't want them to stop.

Kerotan

It will be like the miles morales game in terms of length. And their next main game will be wolverine 2. Spiderman 3 probably won't arrive until PS6 and there might even be another ratchet before it.

NewYork214

I love all the spidey games. I don't really want this unless they go with M rating. I'd rather a standalone game focusing on the villain set up through wraiths little arc. Not saying make her the main character. Doubt they can flesh her out enough to be fun to play as.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Seems like the dlc or spin off would be miles and silk, correct ?

Actually the dlc is likely Kravens kids who are on their way to New York.

Dr_Ifto

Enough fucking Venom. He sucked in the 80's and still sucks. There is 60 years of great other villains to choose from. Move on......

It's like how DC continues to use the Joker in Batman games
Venom works as another form of Spiderman, that people like. Id prefer a Spider-Gwen version, as my daughter loves her and these games, but they havent introduced her yet.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Insomniac are gifted developers those people have studied arts, computers but I’m not falling for a venom centric standalone game because we know there’s no excuse why there isn’t a JUSTICE LEAGUE game.

Dcr1d3r

Listen guys... "All good things must come to an end" ... "And nothing lasts forever", but Sony is on a fucking roll right now. If they release a Venom game, that's gonna sell by the truckload as well.... Props!

Top Bottom