• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - Expanded Marvel's New York

Larxia

Expanded map looks great. I'm disappointed (although I expected it) that the web swinging still seems very scripted, with this annoying invisible wall above the ground that stops you from touching it, it removes all the thrills from swinging for me.

Musilla

JH7vm9j.gif

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

i just hope that Peter spider legs don't come from nowhere, want to see the detail on his costume from where the legs comes out.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

GymWolf

It is always serviceable, but lacks any weight and challenge unlike games that are more centered around combat.
Unfortunately they lock the hardest difficulty behind bullshit requisites like finishing the game once, hopefully they changed idea for spidey 2.
(The game remain pretty easy but you also die very easily and you have some challenge with a lot of enemies of different types on screen)

I can see the lack of weight in the movement (probably on purpose because the game is highly acrobatic and fast) but the feeling of hitting enemies and make them fly is good and ragdoll is on point.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Just make the side quests amazing and this will be an absolutely top class game for me.

My only complaint with the first two.
Yeah there were some good side quests but too many generic quests and too much collectibles, although traversal was so good in this game that it didn't bothered me unlike most of other games.

midnightAI

Expanded map looks great. I'm disappointed (although I expected it) that the web swinging still seems very scripted, with this annoying invisible wall above the ground that stops you from touching it, it removes all the thrills from swinging for me.
Not sure what you mean? you can touch the floor (which will stop you swinging, he isnt some Spiderman that would face plant as that makes no sense, it isnt his first web swinging experience)

Larxia

Not sure what you mean? you can touch the floor (which will stop you swinging, he isnt some Spiderman that would face plant as that makes no sense, it isnt his first web swinging experience)
That's like saying you shouldn't be able to fall in tony hawk because he's an experienced skater or something... If you can't mess up because you're playing with an experienced character, then all games with powerful characters should be easy af.
This video explains what I'm talking about:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
It's always funny to see reactions inside the hardcore bubble. The trailer is currently sitting at 1.7m views after 11 hours, #27 on trending and has 113k likes with 1k dislikes.

Not every game should reinvent itself and be yet another revolution. Based on shown trailer, SM2 is a gorgeous (the city density and RT windows, my god) sequel that doesn't try to break an already brilliant formula. And it helps that Sony is not touting it as a savior of PS5, it's just a FUN game with no strings attached.

Last edited:

midnightAI

That's like saying you shouldn't be able to fall in tony hawk because he's an experienced skater or something... If you can't mess up because you're playing with an experienced character, then all games with powerful characters should be easy af.
This video explains what I'm talking about:

oh, right, I see, certainly not an issue for me, in fact, stopping swinging and running would be annoying as hell and take me out of the swinging not enhance it (personally)

As for the Tony Hawk comparison, that game is based on pulling off tricks, and Tony Hawk fails pulling off tricks. As for Spider Man its more about fluidity of the traversal.

Of the complaints I do have about Spider Man (story mainly), swinging certainly isnt one of them.

Larxia

oh, right, I see, certainly not an issue for me, in fact, stopping swinging and running would be annoying as hell and take me out of the swinging not enhance it (personally)

As for the Tony Hawk comparison, that game is based on pulling off tricks, and Tony Hawk fails pulling off tricks. As for Spider Man its more about fluidity of the traversal.

Of the complaints I do have about Spider Man (story mainly), swinging certainly isnt one of them.
The thing for me is that when you have all these littles tweaks in the swinging to make it impossible to fail, it also makes the nice looking things not feeling as amazing for me, because I know I didn't do it myself.
If you jump from a tall building and manage to throw a web and swing at the last minute just above the ground, it's a lot more satisfying when you know you can fail and die, instead of knowing it's impossible to fail, you already know the result before seeing it, making it less exciting to me.

Stooky

The thing for me is that when you have all these littles tweaks in the swinging to make it impossible to fail, it also makes the nice looking things not feeling as amazing for me, because I know I didn't do it myself.
If you jump from a tall building and manage to throw a web and swing at the last minute just above the ground, it's a lot more satisfying when you know you can fail and die, instead of knowing it's impossible to fail, you already know the result before seeing it, making it less exciting to me.
Nobody wants to fail at web slinging. It not fun. that's really your main traversal thru the city. Its like playing a character that trips and falls if the player isn't making them run correctly. it would get old really fast. And its not in the character of spiderman to die from web slinging he doesn't do it in the comics or movies.

Last edited:

Larxia

Nobody wants to fail at web slinging. It not fun. that's really your main traversal thru the city. Its like playing a character that trips and falls if the player isn't making them run correctly. it would get old really fast. And its not in the character of spiderman to die from web slinging he doesn't do it in the comics or movies.
Nobody really? Then how come I often see other people bringing up this subject, and why are there multiple videos talking about the flaws of the web swinging in these games? And so many people who preferred the system in the older games.
The people who don't care about assisted web swinging are usually people who don't really plan to do that much free roam, and only use the traversal gameplay just to go from point A to point B. If you're someone who really like experimenting with gameplays and making your own fun, then this system is too restrictive because you can't get creative with it, it's all pre determined.

If we had more control over it, if we could play around with the physics, it would involve more creativity and would allow for more fun on the long term, more depth.

Sure some people don't care about it, but they only just beat the story, did a few side things, and stopped playing the game after 20 hours. I have 90 hours on it and I can tell you the web swinging is really lacking in depth. It does look fantastic visually, I won't deny that, the animations are amazing, it's all beautiful, but it lacks some manual control. If anything, an optional hardcore swinging mode or something would be great.

killatopak

Nobody really? Then how come I often see other people bringing up this subject, and why are there multiple videos talking about the flaws of the web swinging in these games? And so many people who preferred the system in the older games.
The people who don't care about assisted web swinging are usually people who don't really plan to do that much free roam, and only use the traversal gameplay just to go from point A to point B. If you're someone who really like experimenting with gameplays and making your own fun, then this system is too restrictive because you can't get creative with it, it's all pre determined.

If we had more control over it, if we could play around with the physics, it would involve more creativity and would allow for more fun on the long term, more depth.

Sure some people don't care about it, but they only just beat the story, did a few side things, and stopped playing the game after 20 hours. I have 90 hours on it and I can tell you the web swinging is really lacking in depth. It does look fantastic visually, I won't deny that, the animations are amazing, it's all beautiful, but it lacks some manual control. If anything, an optional hardcore swinging mode or something would be great.
One, it looks like shit. Sure controlling momentum and such CAN be fun but Insomniac’s assisted swinging ALWAYS looks cool.

Two, I see it like Survival or Hardcore mode in Fallout NV/4 and Skyrim. Extremely expands the complexity. Makes it harder but rewards people who wants to dive into the systems. Problem is not everyone wants that. Everyone wants to swing like Spiderman. Not everyone wants to actually do the nitty gritty physics instinctively in their head.

Three, it’s much easier to allow Miles and if possible Venom traversal peculiarities. Notice how different Miles and Peter apply their web swinging? Old school Spiderman swingings lacks those. They’re basic as fuck. Swinging in those games is done on the service of the physics system and not the other way around.

GymWolf

Dunno, I've grown to love Miles thanks to animated movieas and Insomniac's MM. He's lame in the comics tho.

I saw him first time in spidey 2018 and didn't cared for him (the horrible stealth sections didn't helped), the morales dlc just reinforced that feeling, also his VA is kinda annoying, a bit too bratty high pitched for my taste.

His yellow thunder powers were the only interesting thing tbh, but they make the game even more of a cakewalk.

Last edited:
Dunno, I've grown to love Miles thanks to animated movieas and Insomniac's MM. He's lame in the comics tho.
Same. I'm not comic fan, I only know about him because of Spiderverse movie lol. Thanks to that I really like to play as him in the game too.
And he's more fun to play as him than Peter because of his abilities. Good that Peter has symbiote suit now.

This looks wonderful, but it's the same day as Mario Wonder.
I will pick up Spidey 2, but it's going to be the end of November.

It's nice that my problem is having a choice. And I hope everyone has a great time with whatever title they pick up!

NickFire

Alright, alright, alright. Still think they are fleecing us with increased online tax. But this trailer at least reminds me of benefits of PS5. This is guaranteed to be my favorite game of the generation to date when it launches after watching the new trailer.

Top Bottom