• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - Digital Foundry Tech Review - The Next Big Leap For PS5?

Sirolf

This game is astounding..Played 3 hours today...

HTs4xtH.png

This game is astounding..Played 3 hours today...

HTs4xtH.png
The reflections on the very distant buildings are something. The biggest building reflects so well the sky that it's almost invisible!
Please tell me there's a toggle to disable chromatic aberration in the options?
Yes. Along with all the usual annoying filters than can also be removed.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Please tell me there's a toggle to disable chromatic aberration in the options?
Just checked the settings and you can turn that off, plus's turn off motion blur and depth of field and you can adjust the amount of film grain

You can also turn off full screen effects (vignettes, flashing low health effects etc), you can turn on/off centre dot and a load of high contrast settings.

Anything else just ask

Edit: one final thing, you can turn the HUD completely off plus loads of other HUD options like notification settings, turn off just the mini map etc

Last edited:
i think since the game has fixed time of day they can pretty much bake the light as they want and achieve a close result to RTGI, RTGI is more for games that day and night cycle like TW3, but i can be wrong.
No I think you're right for the most part. That's why Naughty Dog's lighting is always spectacular.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The reflections on the very distant buildings are something. The biggest building reflects so well the sky that it's almost invisible!

Yes. Along with all the usual annoying filters than can also be removed.
Another PS5 technical showcase from Insomniac incoming.

I cannot wait to play this tomorrow.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I keep saying that he is easily worse than ElAnalistaDeBits, posting him simply shouldn't be allowed on this site in order to not spread pure misunformation.

Video went private too. Oh well.
I love seeing ppl quick to get the FUD flowing only to get smacked down by facts.

I didnt even look at the video and I assumed he was using a TV. And all TV's might not even report it correctly.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You had to compare the two. SM2 is on a different level and Starfield had way more bugs.

All open world games have their share of jank, none are immune.

Is this Nick930 allowed?

Difference's seem pretty big. I still wish someone would do a comparison to the BASE PS4 version. The only fair true fair generational comparison.

Oh well a man can dream.

It's a notable upgrade, especially with respect to RT reflections over SSR and lighting, but weird that some incidental things things are worse, instead of being the same as PS4.

p9SSLBh.png

Last edited:
Just ran into a weird bug where a character was rendered in a low-poly model for the entirety of a cutscene. She genuinely looked like Angel of Darkness Lara Croft lol. I tried reloading my save and even rebooting the game but the bug was persistent.

I would post pictures but it's somewhat spoilery since it's the 'ending' to a sidequest chain.

When you do upgrade your PC, either next year or in 3 years, be sure to make it an LG OLED. They have better input lag than LCDs no matter what the reviewers will say and they have all the features you'd want from a high end TV. just beware that 30 fps on OLEDs will not feel as smooth in all games because of the instant pixel refresh rate. Some games feel better like FF16 but some games like horizon just felt off and required tinkering with settings. Still, the good outweigh the bad and with 40 fps becoming standard in most sony exclusives, its the best way to play games on an LG OLED.

Horizon feels a lot smoother than FF16, esp after Guerilla removed sharpening filters, primarily because FF16 has an auto center camera (so dumb for games to have this in 2023). With auto centering you get judder when you turn the camera but also when the damn game centers the camera. Also, isn't the motion blur of FF16 inferior as well?

I've played 90% of Forbidden West at 30 fps. It's a "good 30" as far as many games go.

Last edited:

It's a notable upgrade, especially with respect to RT reflections over SSR and lighting, but weird that some incidental things things are worse, instead of being the same as PS4.

p9SSLBh.png

Well there worse than the remastered PS5 version not the PS4 version 😁.

Those crazy can details weren't on the PS4.

p9SSLBh.png

Isn't Spider-Man 2 considered pretty polished though?

Darsxx82

This is a streaming bug fixed in a pre-day 1 patch. It’s on Linneman’s Twitter.

It is stupid to review such trifles in and increíble work from Inmsoniac, but in honor of the truth and in favor of adamsapple, that specifically would not be part Of The bug according to John himself who confirms that there are details that could have been the focus of optimizations to benefit the improvement in other sections.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Adding someone to an ignore list is a grade A bitch move

Bet you $10 all the people who've put me on ignore will have no issue quoting my posts the next time I write something they don't like :messenger_grinning_sweat:

But anyway, folks talking about John's twitter 'already confirming it was fixed' was for very specific long distant LoDs, some closer details and some incidental details (like fountains at a certain LoD) still appear lower quality in SM2 over SM Remastered.

I've added John's responses above, as did D Darsxx82

Last edited:
Top Bottom