• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvels spider-man 2 graphics disappointed

Mr.Phoenix

Is refreshing.

Everywhere else you go on the internet, be it YouTube, Era, Twitter, Reddit, its constant praise of these devs for doing the bare minimum. Fuck that shit.

Its time we complain about things other than $70 games and frame rate.
So that mean we the baddies?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
So that mean we the baddies?
giphy.gif

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Just look at the Rami suite, don't you see the difference in quality vs the real game. And also look at the webshooters and the quality of the motion blur on them which is not even in the games photomode. They enhanced the fuck out of those shots as always and they are not a good indication of how the games gonna look.

Yeah it really looks nothing like that in the game, i also took some shots back in the day on my PS4Pro and it looked like this
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-20181225042305.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-20181229060433.png

Bruh come on look up lol, and they are all from photomode

I'm sorry man but I really don't see the quality difference. I just took these screen captures from youtube no photomode. And compression will/does kill a good amount of detail in comparison to direct captures. I don't see the downgrade.

3FXS0l6.png
K2HidUM.png
vQwI3tJ.png

5CDrptb.png

vlsKzKw.png
AmH5zbl.png

VUlFFXm.png

Three

Still doesn't change the fact that they are bullshots. And i saw the same pose but not the same shot in any other loading screen.
I've seen that exact shot in the loading screen. It depends on the suit you're wearing. (you can move the camera around in that screen btw)

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I've seen that exact shot in the loading screen. It depends on the suit you're wearing.
I know i looked it up, it had the same pose but it was not 1 on 1 and didn't look the same. And even if its in they are all bullshots anyway.

Turk1993

I'm sorry man but I really don't see the quality difference. I just took these screen captures from youtube no photomode. And compression will/does kill a good amount of detail in comparison to direct captures. I don't see the downgrade.

3FXS0l6.png
K2HidUM.png
vQwI3tJ.png

5CDrptb.png

vlsKzKw.png
AmH5zbl.png

VUlFFXm.png
Not even close bro, the one i posted looks like cgi.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I know exactly what it means. Show me in game shots on ps4 pro that look like that rami suite shot i posted. I played the game 3 times with all the dlc and not even 1 frame looked like that shot. Those are all enhanced and edited shots for promo use and don't indicate the real graphics of the game.
Bullshots are photos touched up or enhanced by the marketers or dev team. Like the infamous lens flares added to OG Xbox games marketing that were ripped right from Photoshops stock.

- Photo mode is not a bullshot. It’s photo mode.
- Loading screens are not a bullshot. Especially when they’re interactive like photo mode.
- Any direct capture from the gameplay is not a bullshot.

Those all do what the engine is doing and the console is processing.

Turk1993

Bullshots are photos touched up or enhanced by the marketers or dev team.
So just like those shots, ok thanks for confirming this.
- Photo mode is not a bullshot. It’s photo mode.
Its not photomode, you can't replicate those shots in photomode.
- Loading screens are not a bullshot. Especially when they’re interactive like photo mode.
When they are enhanced photo's that are not possible in game or with photomode than they are bullshots.
- Any direct capture from the gameplay is not a bullshot.
They are not from the gameplay lol not even close
Those all do what the engine is doing and the console is processing.
Nope.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Maybe there is a misunderstanding on both our parts. I thought you were saying photo mode shots were bullshots because they’re not gameplay.

All I did was describe that if it comes from the console or PC version directly, it’s not a bullshot.

Last edited:

Turk1993

Maybe there is a misunderstanding on both our parts. I thought you were saying photo mode shots were bullshots because they’re not gameplay.

All I did was describe that if it comes directly from the console or PC version directly, it’s not a bullshot.
Yeah maybe i wasn't clear enough. I was talking specifically about those marketing shots that i posted.

Msamy

I want to apologise to anyone offended by my comments today but someone's come here and attack me without respect my opinion, also I want to clear this fact about me (for anyone comehere to just attack me and disrespect my rights to tell my opinion ) I will be more than happy if the game ends up looking better than that showcase by the time of its release.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
PS4 Bullshot
Du1qOSmXgAAPVQD

Real PS5.
17.jpg

Insomniac cannot be trusted anymore until the game comes out and I judge for myself. Im not listening to anything they say about "early build".

This is egregious.

I dare anyone to look at these shots and say they can trust this developer.

Talent has left the studio.

Wait, what are you saying here? They both look good fidelity wise, but I personally prefer the bottom. Maybe you don't like the lighting/positioning of the sun or you don't like the symbiote design but the shot looks really good here. The RT reflections on the water is good, and don't quote me but I'm pretty sure the symbiote suit is casting RT reflections as well. The shadows also make the bottom picture fare more grounded in reality. You also capture the bottom picture when the river is out of focus. When he turns around to see where Lizard went the river snaps back into focus and Peter becomes out of focus. See below. So what's there to be mad at with this screenshot? It looks great even!

kjfcccp.jpg

kudI0T7.jpg

Msamy

To be fair, I’m not saying you should be impressed by the graphics, just that Horizon FW fidelity is a pipe dream for a game taking place in a city.
I respect your opinion but for me that first 1 min trailer and those playstation blog screenshots are enough for me , if the game at the release match them I will be very happy but otherwise that showcase really disappointed me for next gen only game

Last edited:

John Wick

Ok I get it. You got your ass whooped due to your outlandish claim that those games weren't real gameplay, and now resort to trolling to ignore the fact that you just turned into a laughing stock.
Here this everyone, mister John wick thinks the ghost of tsushima and tlou 2 gameplay demos were not real gameplay. Just in engine trailers like the Spiderman teaser. :pie_roffles:
Whooped by who? Post here the proof that those initial reveal trailers were running real-time gameplay for the said systems they were advertised for? You claim it's a fact so should be easy to prove Hyperbertha.
I'll wait and watch you try to now search the internet...........
The only laughing stock is your clearly clueless to game development as you admitted to another post when he asked you about next gen graphics and gameplay.

So what your saying is Ubisoft decided to make the whole game at this level of quality and then downgraded it? Do you think developers are stupid that they are gonna waste 5 years making this or they can just make a small video of playable looking demo to show what they are aiming for genuis?

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
  • Higher draw distance
  • Better Lighting
  • Extra foliage
  • Improved water quality
  • Improved asset quality
  • Reflections in buildings
  • Higher poly and better geometry
In addition, (1) buildings now have better reflections, and (2) there are NPCs within the buildings that move, act, and look at Spider-Man like normal NPCs.

dBM4EWh.jpg

And if you can't see ANY of what I mentioned above, should you should even be "analyzing" or commenting on threads about games visuals and graphics?

There was a time when we called the things you mentioned iterative improvements and not generational leaps. When you have to specifically point out what's been improved because otherwise people wouldn't noticed, it's clear that next gen still hasn't arrived.

On the PS1, PS2 and PS3 we saw bigger jumps in image quality between games from the same development team on the same platform than we're seeing between games from the save developer on PS4 and PS5.

Whooped by who? Post here the proof that those initial reveal trailers were running real-time gameplay for the said systems they were advertised for? You claim it's a fact so should be easy to prove Hyperbertha.
The only laughing stock is your clearly clueless to game development as you admitted to another post when he asked you about next gen graphics and gameplay.

So what your saying is Ubisoft decided to make the whole game at this level of quality and then downgraded it? Do you think developers are stupid that they are gonna waste 5 years making this or they can just make a small video of playable looking demo to show what they are aiming for genuis?

You have no idea what you are talking about. First of all here is the uncompressed demo in 4k rather than that burry mess you posted (if you want to know how this was obtained from Ubisoft, DM me).

Second of all its called marketing. They market the game with unrealistic graphics to lure in fanfare, buzz and preorders then downgrade it. Every single watchdogs media trailer was downgraded from the last, until they settled on the release version. There were 4 trailers, i bet you have no clue what they are. I also bet you were the main ones saying it won't be downgraded at the time and that the only difference were Time Of Day.

Last edited:

Verchod

Jesus! Some people in this thread. You come across like spoiled, entitled children.
Who said every game that comes out has to graphically improve on the previous version? Naturally one would expect overall improvements or refinements, but that's for the developer to decide.
How about expecting a really good entertaining game, as that's the point.

Oublieux

What I'm getting from this thread: Some people care more about graphics than others.

To each their own. I think the game looks great. It's not a mind blowing leap from the first game, but a game is more than just how it looks.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Jesus! Some people in this thread. You come across like spoiled, entitled children.
Who said every game that comes out has to graphically improve on the previous version? Naturally one would expect overall improvements or refinements, but that's for the developer to decide.
How about expecting a really good entertaining game, as that's the point.
This is a next gen game. It absolutely should look better than its previous generation entry

The more I look at Peter in the symbiote suit the less I like it. The texture in areas on arms and legs reminds me of trashbag Nemesis from RE3Make. In the picture perched near the river you guys keep posting and arguing about it literally looks like his legs have garbage bags wrapped around them. I guess I like my symbiote suits smoother.

Excited for this game either way.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Someone has modded the suite for SM1 on pc and tbh it looks better than the one from SM2
3853-1685324265-311657676.png

3853-1685627566-1678136860.png

vs
Marvels-Spider-Man-2_2023_05-24-23_001.jpg
As always, random PC modders do a better job than professional developers. We have seen this with ue4 and ue5 demos. Now we are seeing it in mods.

I wouldn’t be surprised to find out if Insomniac had a big talent drain recently because there are so many things here that are lacking from identical animations to a complete lack of lighting and character model upgrades, and virtually identical assets. Better textures but pretty much the same level of detail as the ps4 version. Demon souls has very better tesselation, lighting and asset quality. I honestly couldn’t believe my eyes when i saw that yacht model. That’s better even ps4 quality. They are definitely lacking artists who would normally go in and create those ancillary assets.

As always, random PC modders do a better job than professional developers. We have seen this with ue4 and ue5 demos. Now we are seeing it in mods.

I wouldn’t be surprised to find out if Insomniac had a big talent drain recently because there are so many things here that are lacking from identical animations to a complete lack of lighting and character model upgrades, and virtually identical assets. Better textures but pretty much the same level of detail as the ps4 version. Demon souls has very better tesselation, lighting and asset quality. I honestly couldn’t believe my eyes when i saw that yacht model. That’s better even ps4 quality. They are definitely lacking artists who would normally go in and create those ancillary assets.
Minor minor minor thing nobody has talked about but did you see how you can notice the animated character model of Spider-Man slide back like when he does the press circle dodge?

Ya know what I mean? Like that little parkour thing he does it’s not properly blended with the ground you can see him slide unnaturally as if removed from the environment. Super amateur stuff.

Last edited:

Three

The more I look at Peter in the symbiote suit the less I like it. The texture in areas on arms and legs reminds me of trashbag Nemesis from RE3Make. In the picture perched near the river you guys keep posting and arguing about it literally looks like his legs have garbage bags wrapped around them. I guess I like my symbiote suits smoother.

Excited for this game either way.
I think those parts are animated. The little vein things move around. Imagine Vecna from Stranger Things.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

You are saying these are just in engine trailers like the fake Spiderman teaser, and not actual gameplay demos like Spiderman 2 demo we are talking about? STOP. EMBARASSING. YOURSELF.

Three

PS4 Bullshot
Du1qOSmXgAAPVQD

Real PS5.
17.jpg

Insomniac cannot be trusted anymore until the game comes out and I judge for myself. Im not listening to anything they say about "early build".

This is egregious.

I dare anyone to look at these shots and say they can trust this developer.

Talent has left the studio.
One is a 4K loading screen. The other is a gameplay screenshot from youtube

PeteBull

There was a time when we called the things you mentioned iterative improvements and not generational leaps. When you have to specifically point out what's been improved because otherwise people wouldn't noticed, it's clear that next gen still hasn't arrived.

On the PS1, PS2 and PS3 we saw bigger jumps in image quality between games from the same development team on the same platform than we're seeing between games from the save developer on PS4 and PS5.
U are 100% right here, and nothing wrong with calling things out, no reason to lie those games look in any way gamebreaking coz they dont, they look decent/good but no wow effect anymore.

The reason its happening like that is combo of 3 things- midgen upgrades durning last gen, relatively low jump in cpu(3x) and in gpu(6x+, definitely below 8x) vs base ps4 even, and studios already being extremly proficient in 3d graphics as is, as long as they are talented and goal focused(not agenda focused, which among western devs isnt so common nowadays ).

Best proof of 3rd reason is when we compare Arkham Knight (2015 ps4 game, so 1,8tf gpu, tablet jaguar cpu but made by rocksteady, back then top tier dev team) vs 2022 Gotham Knights- made on 10,2tf ps5, still only running in 30fps(with dips, yup) but only made by C tier dev team ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WB_Games_Montréal thats how lil games they made).
Even graphics wise 2015 AK doesnt look inferior, especially if u count in how game runs and whats happening on screen in both of those games, Gotham Knights looks empty AF.

In this very example u dont have crossgen as an excuse(it never should be an excuse, since even with crossgen projects current gen version should be lead, and last gen version an aftertought/cut down from current version, kinda like HFW and FH5 did, not halo infinite, not gow ragnarok and not gt7, with those 3 its clear right away last gen versions were leading, and current gen were just imrpovements on top.

burdurger

Neo Member
Not at all. Detail levels are way higher and the RT shadows are actually really impressive and seem to be applied even at far distances.

But obviously the impact has been muted by the fact that the game has been improved and upgraded several times over. Seeing the Remaster (or Miles Morales) maxed on PC can give you a bit of a false memory of how this game actually looked when it came out.
No it was upgraded like once in the Remaster. PC port offers nearly no scaling above PS5 sadly, like most ports these days, with the only exception being textures and max RT which runs like garbage on nearly every CPU.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Yeah, that suit looks crazy on PC. Modders are some talented ass people!

Top Bottom