• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft internal emails show Xbox executives reacting to the strengths and weaknesses of the PS5 tech specs

onQ123

Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF
The statement was actually true but it just wasn't cost effective & after you lose the quality from streaming you're better off just doing it all locally.

But I think the cloud is going to show it's advantages soon because of the small storage space & RAM of local consoles for the next 5 years.

Question is who is willing to make games that are 1TB

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The statement was actually true but it just wasn't cost effective & after you lose the quality from streaming you're better off just doing it all locally.

But I think the cloud is going to show it's advantages soon because of the small storage space & RAM of local consoles for the next 5 years.

Question is who is willing to make games that are 1TB
It was true in theory, but wasn't true in practice. At all.

Nubulax

Isn't the whole point of the PS5 SSD - I/O architecture to load everything in real-time, reducing the need for RAM?
You still NEED the ram its just that you dont have to load data for the next like 10-30 seconds into the RAM, you can shuffle the data in and out in a sec or near instanenous.

Crayon

This is very interesting.. I think they block it 100% even if they did have a proper web browser

idk why but "we should have engineers working on this" made me laugh. We know they didn't go this route because a wall of outrage over sony's anti-consumer lack of a web browser never appeared.

twilo99

idk why but "we should have engineers working on this" made me laugh. We know they didn't go this route because a wall of outrage over sony's anti-consumer lack of a web browser never appeared.

Not sure what extra they would have to do anyway... I guess in case Sony's web browser is something proprietary?

Regardless, its pointless, Sony would never allow it, and even if they did have a browser they will be risking people hacking it and allowing cloud gaming anyway..

Does all of this mean that the PlayStation will never have a web browser?

Last edited:

Crayon

Not sure what extra they would have to do anyway... I guess in case Sony's web browser is something proprietary?

Regardless, its pointless, Sony would never allow it, and even if they did have a browser they will be risking people hacking it and allowing cloud gaming anyway..

Does all of this mean that the PlayStation will never have a web browser?

They had a fairly complete one on PS3, but that was back when they had all sorts of standards on it. Right down to the other os option. They have walked all that way back since then. I could see them having some kind of locked-down web browser these days.

DanielG165

Nothing here that’s really surprising nor worth getting panties twisted, imo. MS engineers know that their console and Sony’s are essentially on par with one another, with both having advantages and disadvantages over the other. We’ve seen this in most games so far, outside of a handful here and there, and any advantages that one console may have over the other is usually down to a few extra fps or pixels worth of difference.

Both systems are pretty performant, but they go about it in slightly different ways.

EDIT: I mean hell, the PS5 is able to run Spider-Man 2 with RT on in both of its performance modes, and the SX can do the same for the new Motorsport, just as an example. That’s pretty damn good, especially for two machines that aren’t THAT great at ray tracing. For $500, we’ve got some pretty good consoles now, especially compared to last gen.

Last edited:
Nothing here that’s really surprising nor worth getting panties twisted, imo. MS engineers know that their console and Sony’s are essentially on par with one another, with both having advantages and disadvantages over the other. We’ve seen this in most games so far, outside of a handful here and there, and any advantages that one console may have over the other is usually down to a few extra fps or pixels worth of difference.

Both systems are pretty performant, but they go about it in slightly different ways.

EDIT: I mean hell, the PS5 is able to run Spider-Man 2 with RT on in both of its performance modes, and the SX can do the same for the new Motorsport, just as an example. That’s pretty damn good, especially for two machines that aren’t THAT great at ray tracing. For $500, we’ve got some pretty good consoles now, especially compared to last gen.
Yep, pretty much.
I don't care what they say, both Sony and MS knew more about each other's specs well before the reveals.
This however, isn't something you would write in an email, it's something to take to a SCIF. No way you leave a paper trail that on that.

The biggest issue Sony faced at that time was needing to keep the 36CU GPU for BC.
That was what their console was built around.

sachos

No issues it's just not worth the hype Cerny et al. were trying to create.
I actually think the PS5 is the only console that has shown "true" next gen loading times, i mean 2 seconds or less (refering to the "almost instant" they talked about during specs reveal period) mostly on first party games like you can see in stuff like Ratchet or Spider Man, Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut. For third party games i remember RE Village had no load screen on PS5 but it did on XSX. Correct me if im wrong.

Last edited:

GustavoLT

Ms desperately trying to buy Actvision and get Call of Duty to their exclusive portifolio is their desperate awnser to PS5 success over xbox!

Fishels

So, even MS themselves talked about Tflops not being a good metric (with DF as well), despite xbox fanboys using it as the end-all argument at the time.

Funny that.
I guess that means they knew 100% xbox one x was never going to have “no compromises” and be the end all be all of power

Killjoy-NL

I guess that means they knew 100% xbox one x was never going to have “no compromises” and be the end all be all of power
Either that, or they're incompetent.

No wonder they started spreading FUD using a secret Discord.

With that in mind, makes sense they discussed Cerny's talk with DF, as Alex was part of said Discord.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
“[Cerny] emphasized that GPU teraflops and CU is not a good measurement of performance. We made this same point with Digital Foundry, but we do have a clear performance advantage (12 v 10),” wrote Hamren.
This is so corporate… she wants to agree with Cerny but also not go off internal message where TFLOPS is the measure of performance that matters most… 😂.

Crayon

This is so corporate… she wants to agree with Cerny but also not go off internal message where TFLOPS is the measure of performance that matters most… 😂.

There had to be a meeting in there about the excessive bom of the sx. And the words "teraflop" was said many many times by people who don't know or care what it means.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So using TF and the word "performance" interchangeably in a statement is wholly incorrect and actually embarrassing for someone like MS chief hardware engineer to be doing.

It's a gaffe... plain and simple.
It is corporate, you do not say out loud what your bosses do not want to hear… she got in trouble probably from even agreeing with Cerny at all 😂.

Kakax11

Banned
The problem is DX12, if XSX took on VULKAN they beat the crap outta PS5 hardware

and Gotham Knights (idk what i'm talking about) :D

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There had to be a meeting in there about the excessive bom of the sx. And the words "teraflop" was said many many times by people who don't know or care what it means.
Did not Spencer go on record when he set XOX or XSX TFLOPS target? Again, corporate MS having brainstormed what their perceived PR strengths are and pushing them as OKR’s for their minions ;).

JackMcGunns

What are you trying to do here? make perfectly logical sense when all we want is chaos?? :messenger_winking_tongue:

Top Bottom