• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5’s Faster SSD Will Help Exclusives, but Multiplatform Games Will Likely Use Xbox Series X as Baseline – Beneath Dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

"With a raw bandwidth of 5.5GB/s and SSDs, loading and unloading assets will be faster, resulting in quicker asynchronous level loading and assets," says Camel 101's Ricardo Cesteiro.​

Two and a half years into the current console generation, we’re finally beginning to get to a point where developers are moving past cross-gen games, which, of course, means it hopefully won’t be too long before we see games that properly take advantage of the more powerful hardware that the new consoles afford them. Of course, one of the biggest selling points for both the PS5 and the Xbox Series X has been their SSDs- though with the former boasting a raw bandwidth of 5.5 GB/s and the latter standing at 2.4 GB/s, how will the two fare against each other?
According to Ricardo Cesteiro – co-owner and producer of Camel 101, the studio behind upcoming first person horror game Beneath – though the difference between the speeds of the two consoles might not count for much when it comes to multiplatform games, for games that will be exclusive to the PS5, it will be a much bigger boost, allowing for “quicker asynchronous level loading and assets” and, by extension, higher quality textures.
“With a raw bandwidth of 5.5 GB/s and SSDs, loading and unloading assets will be faster, resulting in quicker asynchronous level loading and assets,” Casetiro said in a recent interview with GamingBolt. “Background loading of parts of levels will go unnoticed by players, and keeping VRAM usage low will enable faster games. I don’t believe there will be a significant difference as most devs will likely use the baseline of 2.4 GB/s when developing for multiple platforms. However, the situation may be different for exclusive titles where the platform’s specs can be pushed to the limit. For instance, higher quality textures may be used because the streaming time will be a lot lower.”
Quicker load times and more efficient world streaming are, of course, some of several things that Sony has been touting for the PS5 since the console was revealed back in 2020, and with multiple exclusives now lined up that are being built exclusively for the console’s hardware, it should be interesting to see how that comes to fruition.

Camel 101’s Beneath is due out for PS5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC sometime in 2024. Our full interview with Casetiro will be live soon, so stay runed for that.

https://gamingbolt.com/ps5s-faster-...ely-use-xbox-series-x-as-baseline-beneath-dev

Imtjnotu

polar bear swimming GIF

Mr Moose

Quicker load times and more efficient world streaming are, of course, some of several things that Sony has been touting for the PS5 since the console was revealed back in 2020, and with multiple exclusives now lined up that are being built exclusively for the console’s hardware, it should be interesting to see how that comes to fruition.
Cross-gen coming to an end, about damn time.

jaysius

Banned

Yup, they make PURE SHIT that nobody cares about.

Nobody devs talking about console power, mostly on the side of PS5 is the new trend. I guess they're trying to get attention from Sony?

This is for a new game their making called BENEATH it's fucking hilarious:

Nobody is giving a fuck about their games, so this is a new cry for attention.

I'd trust anything they said about the same as I'd trust that a guy in a hockey mask won't kill me if I'm in the wood on Friday 13th.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
this is so 2020

The moment you know what site wrote an article just from the title. 😂

GaminBolt's MO:

1: Grab a small indie dev
2: Ask them console war questions instead of questions about their game
3: Spin-off clickbait article on console hardware with zero real value just to rile up the console warriors
4: Wait for someone to post it on forums to rile up the console warriors some more
5: Rinse, repeat

When a kind of article is banned on N4G of all places, you know it's real trash. 😂

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

GaminBolt's MO:

3: Write clickbait article with zero real value just to rile up the console warriors
4: Wait for someone to post it on forums to rile up the console warriors some more

When a kind of article is banned on N4G of all places, you know it's real trash. 😂
On a side note, i took a look at their game. Just the trailer and it already looks like utter trash.

Like, wtf is this frame rate? And its obviously running at some upscaled low res, all for a game that wouldn't look out of place on the ps3. If they can't even put out a trailer looking right, i can only imagine how the end product will perform.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

If you read what he is saying is that you won't see a difference with devs like him because it's multiplatform but PS5 exclusives can use higher assets like better textures.
It does raise questions about their technical knowledge.

platina

We’ve known this. It’ll be curious if ps5 exclusives will still take advantage of the 5.5gb/s if they have a pc version later down the line? Hopefully they’re not developed in tandem as they still have to take minimum pc requirements into account. Higher quality textures is always nice to hear

Anchovie123

I dont think people really understand what these I/O architectures are really capable of. Most games only use a couple hundred MB/sec of background streaming at most. I think Spiderman on PC can peak at like 500MB/sec when traveling through the world if you catch it on task manager and that game can be very CPU heavy on PC. Remember PS5 can transfer and decompress 9GB/sec with 0 cost to CPU/GPU. thats 18x whats being done with Spiderman on PC.

Ratchet and Clank is probably using the most of any game but i dont think its anywhere near maxing out PS5.

I can think of 3 possible use cases that could max out I/O.

Seamless area teleportation. (Ratchet and Clank)
Traveling through highly detailed open worlds at insane speeds. Most open world games cap how fast you can travel because of streaming issues.
Loading & unloading data in/out of vram based on camera position instead of being area based. (Will allow for more detailed textures and assets)

Btw Xbox will be able to do all this as well, just not as fast as PS5. PC will have trouble because it doesnt have dedicated hardware for decompression. Yes there is direct storage but that still uses GPU resources in order to decompress and isnt free.

onQ123

GaminBolt's MO:

3: Spin-off clickbait article on console hardware with zero real value just to rile up the console warriors

To be fair the big studios are more likely to dance around these questions 😂
You likely should ask yourself why you thought this was relevant before getting defensive about people seeing it as irrelevant. 😏

That conversation had nothing to do with if this relevant or not

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
To be fair the big studios are more likely to dance around these questions 😂

While smaller studios' point of view on the hardware is so narrow that they're basically spitballing, even more so because normally their games really don't push the hardware.

onQ123

I dont think people really understand what these I/O architectures are really capable of. Most games only use a couple hundred MB/sec of background streaming at most. I think Spiderman on PC can peak at like 500MB/sec when traveling through the world if you catch it on task manager and that game can be very CPU heavy on PC. Remember PS5 can transfer and decompress 9GB/sec with 0 cost to CPU/GPU. thats 18x whats being done with Spiderman on PC.

Ratchet and Clank is probably using the most of any game but i dont think its anywhere near maxing out PS5.

I can think of 3 possible use cases that could max out I/O.

Seamless area teleportation. (Ratchet and Clank)
Traveling through highly detailed open worlds at insane speeds. Most open world games cap how fast you can travel because of streaming issues.
Loading & unloading data in/out of vram based on camera position instead of being area based. (Will allow for more detailed textures and assets)

Btw Xbox will be able to do all this as well, just not as fast as PS5. PC will have trouble because it doesnt have dedicated hardware for decompression. Yes there is direct storage but that still uses GPU resources in order to decompress and isnt free.
This is the discussion that should be going on instead of all the downplaying.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This is the discussion that should be going on instead of all the downplaying.

It has gone on since 2020. This "article" says nothing new (besides focusing on some dude's narrow opinion about what the industry will do).

Last edited:

onQ123

While smaller studios' point of view on the hardware is so narrow that they're basically spitballing, even more so because normally their games really don't push the hardware.
What he said was sensible. He said you're not going to see much difference in multiplatform games but PS5 exclusives can take advantage of it .

onQ123

So the PS5 is 3 sec faster, cool i guess
“With a raw bandwidth of 5.5 GB/s and SSDs, loading and unloading assets will be faster, resulting in quicker asynchronous level loading and assets,” Casetiro said in a recent interview with GamingBolt. “Background loading of parts of levels will go unnoticed by players, and keeping VRAM usage low will enable faster games. I don’t believe there will be a significant difference as most devs will likely use the baseline of 2.4 GB/s when developing for multiple platforms. However, the situation may be different for exclusive titles where the platform’s specs can be pushed to the limit. For instance, higher quality textures may be used because the streaming time will be a lot lower.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom