• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 6 Is Planned to Be the Most Powerful Console of Its Generation; Sony Is Only Considering AMD

JackMcGunns

Is there someone else to go up against?

Right, so everyone is celebrating how MS may exit the hardware side, but that now means PS6 could just be a rebranded PS5 and still be the most powerful console since the only other to compete against is Nintendo lol. Congrats and enjoy no competition :messenger_winking_tongue:

onQ123

Right, so everyone is celebrating how MS may exit the hardware side, but that now means PS6 could just be a rebranded PS5 and still be the most powerful console since the only other to compete against is Nintendo lol. Congrats and enjoy no competition :messenger_winking_tongue:
You're like the 5th person I seen trying to push this BS today lol is this the new marching orders on discord?

PlayStation did well before & after Xbox entered the chat lol

Stop embarrassing yourself

JackMcGunns

You're like the 5th person I seen trying to push this BS today lol is this the new marching orders on discord?

PlayStation did well before & after Xbox entered the chat lol

Stop embarrassing yourself

Both PS2 and PS3 were disasters compared to the PS4 from an architecture/design perspective. Why do you think? PS3 came in all arrogant and 360 humbled them, it is why we got the PS4 super friendly and ideal design. BTW the original design called for 4GB of GDDR5 and it was Xbox having 8GB of ram that late in the cycle Sony upped it to 8GB of GDDR5 to the surprise of many.

Competition makes those things happen.

Stop embarrassing YOURself.

SABRE220

This is pretty obvious stuff. Every time rumours about a new console starts spreading and the system is 3-4 years away, the "rumours" sounds pretty much in line with current medium rage PC tech. The "leak" here sounds like a 4070 ti/4080 which should be a awesome upgrade for those who are not into PC gaming.
If Sony is really getting serious about ray/path tracing they should consider NVIDIA, but there's certanly lots of reasons for Sony going the AMD route agsin next time as well.
You think the ps6 is going to be around a 4070ti....that's around the performance expected from the ps5 pro(4070)..

Whitecrow

Banned
That's dumb only considering AMD which makes subpar graphics cards that can't compete against the competition (like the RX 6700 the PS5 has in it). CPU wise AMD does from ok to great in recent times but the great CPUs (7800X 3D) isn't close to what a console will have. Just look at the PS5 Pro still sporting a CPU that gets outperformed by 6 year old Intel CPUs.

Sony goes with AMD because AMD is the cheapest option , cheapest isn't the best it's not even close to it.
Too bad parents dont want to buy 1000$ boxes as christmas gifts.

Eiknarf

Banned
I love Ray Tracing, but what's Path Tracing? (Obviously a graphical step up. But I never heard of it until today)

Hohenheim

You think the ps6 is going to be around a 4070ti....that's around the performance expected from the ps5 pro(4070)..
Closer to 4090 maybe. Point is, when talk of a new console starts, the "next gen" upgrades rumoured/mentioned for the new console is always stuff that current hi-end pc gamers have atm.

Bond007

Lol- gotta love the stupid price tags we start seeing prior to every cycle.
Yea- $1000 guys, watch out now. Im sure thats gonna be the price. Competition or no competition. LMAO.

Lets be real and think about what's palatable in the market after all these years.
Also consider what is expensive today- isnt in 4YRS

Last edited:

jonnyp

RGT.....

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

RGT should be a banned source. An absolute clown.

6 years ago, Intel was on the 8700K era. Put that on the PS5, and it would only have 5C10T left for games.
And when it comes to games, the difference between an 3700X and an 8700K is around 4%.
The 3700X the PS5 has is a cutdown version, because it has to make room for the GPU units. But the thing we have to consider is that consoles are meant to run games at 30 to 60 fps.
Consoles don't need ultra high end CPUs that can spit out hundreds of FPS.
And of course the pro consoles will have the same CPU, to maintain direct compatibility, within the same generation. Only with the PS6, should we expect it to use new CPUs.
In the matter of the GPU, AMD is on par with Nvidia when it comes to rasterization. It's with regards to RT that it's lagging.

Sony and MS don't go with AMD just because it is cheaper. It's also because AMD has an X86 license, making it much easier to port games to and from the PC. And because there are so many tools, middleware and engines with support for it.
The other big reason is that AMD is much easier to work with. Nvidia is notable for being a very bad company to collaborate with to make consoles.
This is a common mistake by people not familiar with HW, the PS5 CPU is nowhere remotely close to a 3700X, ignorant people make this mistake because they see Zen 2 and 8 cores and automatically assume that's all a CPU is. The PS5 CPU loses to a lower end 3600, hell it loses to its own CPU on PCs. The truth is in gaming performance the PS5 CPU is close to bottom of the barrel for gaming Zen 2 CPUs, digital foundry did a video on it awhile back. As for the 8700k its just more Skylake. It was not a new architecture evolution like Zen 2 was over Zen + or like Skylake was over Broadwell. Skylake launched in 2015, Zen 2 launched in 2019 and it was still getting beat at gaming by the ancient Skylake and btw Skylake had up to 28 core CPUs, contrary to your statement Intel was not limited to 5 cores with the Skylake architecture. let's go back to AMD, AMD didn't win at gaming till Zen 3. So why was Zen 2 performing so badly vs old Intel tech? Because AMD was behind, they've been behind since Intel core in 2006. AMD was on the verge of bankruptcy when Sony and MS came in for a console deal.

Sony chose a dirt cheap processor that was used in cheap Chinese tablet equivalents (netbooks) not even full blown office laptops and put that in the PS4, Jaguar was so slow it lost to Intel CPUs that were 5 years old in 2012. Meanwhile in 2011 2 years before the PS4 launched Intel released Sandy Bridge a CPU Arch so powerful it ran circles around Jaguars powerful big brother (bulldozer) let alone the anemic jaguar. Why didn't Sony and MS go with Intel? Because Intel was powerful and expensive and AMD was cheap and weak. Why didn't they go with Nvidia the king of GPUs? Because Nvidia was powerful and expensive and AMD was cheap and weak. No amount of feel good console warring changes these facts.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
This is a common mistake by people not familiar with HW, the PS5 CPU is nowhere remotely close to a 3700X, ignorant people make this mistake because they see Zen 2 and 8 cores and automatically assume that's all a CPU is. The PS5 CPU loses to a lower end 3600, hell it loses to its own CPU on PCs. The truth is in gaming performance the PS5 CPU is close to bottom of the barrel for gaming Zen 2 CPUs, digital foundry did a video on it awhile back. As for the 8700k its just more Skylake. It was not a new architecture evolution like Zen 2 was over Zen + or like Skylake was over Broadwell. Skylake launched in 2015, Zen 2 launched in 2019 and it was still getting beat at gaming by the ancient Skylake and btw Skylake had up to 28 core CPUs, contrary to your statement Intel was not limited to 5 cores with the Skylake architecture. let's go back to AMD, AMD didn't win at gaming till Zen 3. So why was Zen 2 performing so badly vs old Intel tech? Because AMD was behind, they've been behind since Intel core in 2006. AMD was on the verge of bankruptcy when Sony and MS came in for a console deal.

Sony chose a dirt cheap processor that was used in cheap Chinese tablet equivalents (netbooks) not even full blown office laptops and put that in the PS4, Jaguar was so slow it lost to Intel CPUs that were 5 years old in 2012. Meanwhile in 2011 2 years before the PS4 launched Intel released Sandy Bridge a CPU Arch so powerful it ran circles around Jaguars powerful big brother (bulldozer) let alone the anemic jaguar. Why didn't Sony and MS go with Intel? Because Intel was powerful and expensive and AMD was cheap and weak. Why didn't they go with Nvidia the king of GPUs? Because Nvidia was powerful and expensive and AMD was cheap and weak. No amount of feel good console warring changes these facts.

We all know that the Zen 2 part has lower clocks and cache than the equivalent on PC. Though on a console like the PS5, it has less overhead from things like a heavy OS and apps on Windows. It doesn't have to deal with I/O tasks, because it has a dedicated decompression system and a file system that is decades ahead of what we have in Windows.
Also, since the PS5 uses RDNA2, it has a more advanced hardware scheduler, while on Nvidia GPUs, a lot of this work is done in software, causing greater driver overhead.
Another thing to consider is that a console like the PS5 has lower level APIs than DX12 on PC. Even the Series S/X has a DirectX12 variant that is lower level.
Of course this doesn't quite make up for the clock and cache difference, but the real world performance in games is not as big as you claim.

Those CPUs from Intel are workstation class. Clearly not meant for a cheap console.
The CPU in the consumer class, in the age of Intel's Coffee lake series, is the 8700K with only 6C12T. But remember that the PS5 uses 1C2T for the OS and background tasks.
That is why I said it would only leave 5C/10T for games.

Regarding the PS5, you might remember that Jaguar cores are not a desktop part. So that comparison with high-end Intel desktop CPUs is inconsequential.
The reality is that Jaguar was chosen because it was cheap and used little power. Not everything is about max performance. Especially on a console, that have limited budgets for power and for cost.
You are making the mistake of trying to compare PCs that cost thousands of dollars, with consoles that cost 400$.

Crayon

The best ms was able to do this gen was equal performance with $200 higher manufacturing cost. All else equal, if they don't get another blank check next gen for the sake of 100m gp subs they would fall well behind in performance.

Hopefully if they are getting into the swing of multiplat releases by then we won't have to endure an epic wave of fud next time around.

This is pretty obvious stuff. Every time rumours about a new console starts spreading and the system is 3-4 years away, the "rumours" sounds pretty much in line with current medium rage PC tech. The "leak" here sounds like a 4070 ti/4080 which should be a awesome upgrade for those who are not into PC gaming.
If Sony is really getting serious about ray/path tracing they should consider NVIDIA, but there's certanly lots of reasons for Sony going the AMD route agsin next time as well.
4080 performance would be terrible for a next generation 2028+ console even 4090 performance neither card is even 3x the raster power of the base ps5. Remember the 7090 will be out when this releases I expect the ps6 to be anywhere between the 6070 and 6090

1.300 dólares??? No. I price 700 dollars.
Yeah, hopefully AMD is gettin there. Good, healthy competition is good. NVIDIA user here as well (4090), and probably a bit fried for all I know:)
Very happy with them though, and being used to ray/path tracing in 4K, makes it hard to be excited about the hardware in a console. Especially when I know I have probably upgraded to a 50 or 60-series by the time another console gets out. But i'll be there day one, if only for the unboxing. New tech/hardware is too much fun! And i'm sure there'll be a killer game at launch (Bloodborne remake, please)

I'm way more interested in a new Sony handheld (a proper one, not the streaming shit). Hope the rumours that both Sony and MS working on dedicated handhelds are true, although I doubt it.
This is 2028 if not 2029 the 7090 will be out then I hope your at least on the 6090 when this releases. And every card today will be a joke today (including the 4090) compared to even mid range then.

6 years ago, Intel was on the 8700K era. Put that on the PS5, and it would only have 5C10T left for games.
And when it comes to games, the difference between an 3700X and an 8700K is around 4%.
The 3700X the PS5 has is a cutdown version, because it has to make room for the GPU units. But the thing we have to consider is that consoles are meant to run games at 30 to 60 fps.
Consoles don't need ultra high end CPUs that can spit out hundreds of FPS.
And of course the pro consoles will have the same CPU, to maintain direct compatibility, within the same generation. Only with the PS6, should we expect it to use new CPUs.
In the matter of the GPU, AMD is on par with Nvidia when it comes to rasterization. It's with regards to RT that it's lagging.

Sony and MS don't go with AMD just because it is cheaper. It's also because AMD has an X86 license, making it much easier to port games to and from the PC. And because there are so many tools, middleware and engines with support for it.
The other big reason is that AMD is much easier to work with. Nvidia is notable for being a very bad company to collaborate with to make consoles.
They need high end cpus now for all the advanced ai and especially ray tracing (or when it comes pathracing) they want to push since it has a large cpu cost

Ok so we think Sony will pull a costly built console when the competition is throwing the game ?

Or they doubling down on they having the best cinematic experience gaming out of all 3, given MS studios can't compete, not with xbox-hh in mind for development.
These parts will be nowhere near as costly in 2028-2029 we need to stop think in 2024

Yeah these people must think there will be no new graphics cards after 2024. Considering the 7090 will be out by then the ps6 should be anywhere from a 6070-6090 (I expect roughly 6080 performance similar to how the ps5 is roughly 2080)

Closer to 4090 maybe. Point is, when talk of a new console starts, the "next gen" upgrades rumoured/mentioned for the new console is always stuff that current hi-end pc gamers have atm.
4090 performance would be terrible would be like the ps5 being worse than a 980 the 7090 is gonna be out by the time this comes out. maybe you meant near a 6090

Yeah the cpu is really bad in the console especially for what they aim for can’t believe pre launch everyone said it would be awesome but we’re attacking the guy (the actual good part of the console) it’s really holding it back wish they went zen 3. Honestly the pro could shove a 5090 in it but if it’s still using zen 2 I’m unlikely to buy it

winjer

Gold Member
But not enough to double framerate in cpu limited scenarios. We need 3d cache if they are really sticking to zen 2

No CPU will double fps with just cache.

They need high end cpus now for all the advanced ai and especially ray tracing (or when it comes pathracing) they want to push since it has a large cpu cost

AI is done in NPUs. Like the one in the 8700G.
A PS5 Pro can have an NPU to offload AI work. No need to burden the CPU with it.

For RT, the CPU only comes into play for reflections, as it is needed to render more geometry.
So it won't matter if it's RT of PT, for the CPU, the workload will be the same.

No CPU will double fps with just cache.

AI is done in NPUs. Like the one in the 8700G.
A PS5 Pro can have an NPU to offload AI work. No need to burden the CPU with it.

For RT, the CPU only comes into play for reflections, as it is needed to render more geometry.
So it won't matter if it's RT of PT, for the CPU, the workload will be the same.
Actually thank you for clarifying that still they shouldn’t cheap out on it we see what’s happening with this gen and especially last gen cause of it. I’d honestly prefer them to go a touch lighter on the gpu but max out the cpu

Lol- gotta love the stupid price tags we start seeing prior to every cycle.
Yea- $1000 guys, watch out now. Im sure thats gonna be the price. Competition or no competition. LMAO.

Lets be real and think about what's palatable in the market after all these years.
Also consider what is expensive today- isnt in 4YRS
Actually no tech today would be good enough for the ps6 including the 4090

winjer

Gold Member
Actually thank you for clarifying that still they shouldn’t cheap out on it we see what’s happening with this gen and especially last gen cause of it. I’d honestly prefer them to go a touch lighter on the gpu but max out the cpu

The vast majority of games now on consoles are GPU bound. By a huge margin.
I suspect that we are only getting a Zen2 with a clock bump, similar to what happened with the PS4 Pro and One X.
A pro console is meant to be just an upgrade inside the same generation. Not a full generational leap.

tusharngf

Most powerful console that plays 30fps after 2 yrs into launch and somehow they are nowhere near nvidia's mid range gpu lineup. I got fooled by ps pro last time.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Dont worry when they release PS6 "the most powerful console its generation" people will still ask for the "Pro" version.

Graphic whoring never stops.

salva

It'd actually be interesting to see an AMD FSR3-based PS6 up against lower spec'd DLSS3-based Super Nintendo Switch.

Shodai

Too bad parents dont want to buy 1000$ boxes as christmas gifts.
Parents, or you? Everywhere I go I see kids with phones far more expensive than than a PS5...by a good amount at that. This take is really outdated, IMO.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

4090 performance would be terrible would be like the ps5 being worse than a 980 the 7090 is gonna be out by the time this comes out. maybe you meant near a 6090
Yeah, I just meant that the initial decriptions of a new console always seems to fit the current top GPU. But..6090?? The 5090 will be out in 2025, which means the 6090 should be out around sometime in 2027. That's probably when the next Playstation is coming out, right? Or maybe it will be later? Whenever it is, it will definitly not be on par with the current high end GPU on the marked at that time.
The PS5 launched with similar specs to mid range GPU generation prior to the one being released at the time of PS5's release, right?

I think the only safe bet is that whenever the next "generation" console releases, it will be on par with the GPU generation prior to whatever we have at that moment.
And for whatever price of that console, it will probably be quite good value, like most consoles are, considering what you get for a fraction of what a then current mid/high range GPU costs.
For players who are not used to the latest PC tech, the leap will probably feel very nice.

Yeah, I just meant that the initial decriptions of a new console always seems to fit the current top GPU. But..6090?? The 5090 will be out in 2025, which means the 6090 should be out around sometime in 2027. That's probably when the next Playstation is coming out, right? Or maybe it will be later? Whenever it is, it will definitly not be on par with the current high end GPU on the marked at that time.
The PS5 launched with similar specs to mid range GPU generation prior to the one being released at the time of PS5's release, right?

I think the only safe bet is that whenever the next "generation" console releases, it will be on par with the GPU generation prior to whatever we have at that moment.
And for whatever price of that console, it will probably be quite good value, like most consoles are, considering what you get for a fraction of what a then current mid/high range GPU costs.
For players who are not used to the latest PC tech, the leap will probably feel very nice.
The 5090 is coming end of this year, 6090 2026, 7090 2028 when the ps6 releases. So you agree with what I’m saying it will be similar to the previous gen but it’s not the mid range of the previous gen it’s based on the high end (but below top end) of previous gen you know ps5 being like a 2080 (occasionally super) in raster. This translates to the ps6 being like a 6080 in raster

Last edited:

Majukun

what a non-news.
of course they plan to be the most powerful, will they be? we don't een know if they'll have competition...

Gamerguy84

How many times did he say "take this with a huge grain of salt"

I'm not watching that dude. PS always comes up with great hardware. I'm happy with the PS5 for now. Whether or not thr PS6 is the most powerful is irrelevant in my book. Its the games.

ok sure, but make it a reasonable size and not ugly this time, k?

but if it slaps the tits off high-end PCs due to exotic hardware, then make it as big and ugly as you want.
make it some big ass 5ft free-standing art statue that also doubles as an air purifier. im in.

vMfN5Ea.png

Last edited:

RCU005

Why bother when they won't get rid of cross gen games? Probably, for the first time, cross-two gens (PS4 & PS5)
Great, so now games will look like how PS5 games should have been since 2022.

Last edited:
Top Bottom