• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boundary ditches ray tracing and DLSS after striking deal with AMD

Buggy Loop

Demo had these features for nearly 2 years.

Its a UE4 game, literally, DLSS is a checkbox for them, there's no maintenance. It's arguably more work to implement XeSS than DLSS. Seems AMD is removing the better solution and including XeSS 1.0 as it arguably looks worse and perform worse than FSR.

“Unfortunately, we need to remove Ray Tracing and DLSS from the EA version. The main reason is that our development resources cannot support multiple technical features, especially pure technical features, which means that this feature will not bring substantial improvements to gameplay. Therefore, we lowered the priority of this feature over the past year. After struggling for a long time, we finally decided to drop it from the launch version. This decision was not easy, as we are a team of technology-driven game developers, especially since we spent a lot of time doing ray tracing benchmarks for Boundary.”

“Both technologies (Intel XeSS and AMD FSR 2.0) will be supported in the game. And specific thanks to AMD, who very much provided us with great technical and resource support to make sure FSR 2 performs extremely well in Boundary. AMD has been a wonderful partner these last few months.”

i.e. moneybags

I can sort of understand to put ray tracing on the side for early access, even though it was implemented, i could respect that. But removing DLSS... LOL

AMD are snowflakes

Even Nvidia sponsored games include FSR if devs want it.

Buggy Loop

It's because FRS is open source, lol.

DLSS is not, so maybe nVidia should be more open platform to the open platform they sell their hardware to.

Why would you even need open source? Devs have nothing to do except click on a checkbox in UE4. They have no plugin to develop, it's done by Epic. Even the DLSS SDK which is now available for engines outside of UE will implement the solution in a matter of hours.

Devs just pissed on ~40% of the Steam userbase with RTX cards, removing a feature that was already implemented.

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

And reminder :

Last edited:

Bojji

Now i have full AMD PC (again) with 6800 and 5600x but i have always seen this type of behavior from them, they bribe developers to NOT USE Nvidia features even if using them was super easy and "logical" (like in this case in UE plugin).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why would you even need open source? Devs have nothing to do except click on a checkbox in UE4. They have no plugin to develop, it's done by Epic. Even the DLSS SDK which is now available for engines outside of UE will implement the solution in a matter of hours.

Devs just pissed on ~40% of the Steam userbase with RTX cards, removing a feature that was already implemented.

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

And reminder :
Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Buggy Loop

Enjoy shit AMD sponsored games with cut back features then you clown.

We'll see RT pop back with "shadows" only and VRAM usage will of course double from previous demos.

GG AMD, thank you Lisa Su. Open source goodness, saving the industry.

Count the number of AMD sponsored games lately that have had shit performances, memory leaks and so on. They're shit.
Callisto Protocal - Memory leak
Forspoken - Memory leak
Halo Infinite - Memory leak
Resident evil 4 - RT memory leak
The Last of Us - Memory leak
Uncharted 4 - Memory leak

Good job on that support AMD

Confused Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Enjoy shit AMD sponsored games with cut back features then you clown.

We'll see RT pop back with "shadows" only and VRAM usage will of course double from previous demos.

GG AMD, thank you Lisa Su. Open source goodness, saving the industry.

Count the number of AMD sponsored games lately that have had shit performances, memory leaks and so on. They're shit.
Callisto Protocal - Memory leak
Forspoken - Memory leak
Halo Infinite - Memory leak
Resident evil 4 - RT memory leak
The Last of Us - Memory leak
Uncharted 4 - Memory leak

Good job on that support AMD

Confused Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN
You're the clown creating a baited thread. Keep going though.

One is open source, the other locks their shit to only their hardware on an open source platform.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

RagnarokIV

I want to switch to AMD but I still hold that old "AMD drivers are bad" myth. Also, based on videos, FSR still seems crap compared to DLSS.

Get FSR up to scratch and I'll switch. Do they have a GeForce Experience equivalent now with auto drivers, shadowplay, screenshot and video etc?

Last AMD card was a 4850 for reference.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I mean they know no ones going to play their game lmao. We already had two or three attempts at the exact same thing they are doing and they all died so ofc they took a quick buck and and just gonna move on. Typical indie dev trash same as those that take Epic cash.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
It’s free

SDK is available for anyone and otherwise implemented directly in all major 3rd party engines

In UE4 it’s a checkbox.

Like The Cockatrice The Cockatrice said, they made a quick buck.
It's not completely free though, even if it is "a checkbox" in UE4 it requires resource to test every extra permutation of configuration it then creates.

HoodWinked

even if they implemented ray tracing isn't there alot of additional work involved in optimizing it. the performance hit with ray tracing is highly variable depending on how its used in a scene or map or could change the lighting in an environment from what is expected.

Ribi

Money but as for the game. It's actually pretty good. Grapple hooking around space with an AK is fun and it's quick but not too quick. I enjoy it

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I want to switch to AMD but I still hold that old "AMD drivers are bad" myth. Also, based on videos, FSR still seems crap compared to DLSS.

Get FSR up to scratch and I'll switch.

Last AMD card was a 4850 for reference.

Their drivers are just as good as Nvidia’s these days, and their control panel is superior.

FSR isn’t as good as DLSS, but it’s very close.

More importantly their mid range cards are aging better, as Nvidia’s require dropping settings due to low VRAM.

Spyxos

It's not good for us but it's just part of the business. Nvidia also advertised their own stuff that only ran on Nvidia cards like: Physx, Nvidia HairWorks, NVIDIA Turf Effects I can't remember the others, but there were a couple.

CamHostage

So, the situation sucks for people who want options and appreciate this tech, however...

Best to go back to the source text and wider info rather than the sum-up, as it's more complicated than headlines read. For one thing, it's still in Early Access, and the EA version is where the raytracing has been removed; they're not saying yet that RT is out forever. RT was always was a challenge/problem despite being a cool feature, and most players never saw 60FPS with it. (You can still get the Boundary Benchmark and try it yourself; somebody said their RTX 4070ti hit an average FPS of 96fps, that's better than the sub-30 that recommended specs came out to.) "After struggling for a long time, we finally decided to drop it from the launch version," that's their story, and it makes some unfortunate sense. (It's funny that DSOG hits "Boundary will no longer feature Ray Tracing" hard as a headline when the same writer's own play of the Boundary benchmarking tool called it out as a subpar experience in 2020.)

https://wccftech.com/boundary-ea-la...al-of-dlss-and-rtx-in-favor-of-fsr2-and-xess/

The game has also gone through a ton of changes over its prolonged development period (it was originally a PS4/PC game; now they're not even ready to commit to a PS5 version until the PC game comes out.) They've supposedly made big changes to the game and its technology in prioritizing a single platform of high-end PC, and have some "explosive technical features under intense development" in the period leading up to 1.0 launch after the Early Access (which won't be out until April 13.) They might have solutions in place to approximate their desired results with RT without the brutal performance hit, or might have other tech features in there which would make you forget what could have been had RT not been left behind. (Maybe.)

...I mean sure, I'm not liking myself being on the apologist's side of this. (Awitching to FSR2/XeSS and avoiding DLSS is a tacky move, plus it's odd that they've been backed in promotion by both NVIDIA and Sony yet neither company is now included the initial product plan.) However, I'm rooting for this project as I like its ideas and 0G play concept, and when I read WCCFTech's actual interview, it came off differently than DOSG's pullout headline suggested. Don't like the cuts, don't appreciate the corporate alignment, but also I don't see this as a tragic "Abandon All Ships" moment for Boundary. Black eye, not knockout.

Last edited:
Top Bottom