• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SScorpio

I have 3440x1440 34 inch monitor it’s fine…high framerate in ultrawide oled is where it’s at for me.
I also have a 1440p 3440x1440 34". It's the same vertical size as my other 1440p 27" monitors so it should be the same pixel density. The ultrawide aspect ratio makes it not directly comparable to a 34" 16:9.

I'm running a Ryzen 5900x with a 4090. Considering upgrading to the Ryzen 9 7950X3D. I'm not happy with the performance with my setup and hoping this might help?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It looks nice but how would you play CoD on that thing?? lol
I wouldn't use it for anything other than maybe some single player games

Even using my 32" 4k monitor feels big for shooters and my main screen is now the LG 45" OLED ultrawide and I feel like my eyes are having to look all over the place on that even though it has black bars when I use a console on it

twilo99

I also have a 1440p 3440x1440 34". It's the same vertical size as my other 1440p 27" monitors so it should be the same pixel density. The ultrawide aspect ratio makes it not directly comparable to a 34" 16:9.

Assuming the 27 is 2560x1440p the 34 would be slightly higher according to this

But definitely not noticeable.

twilo99

I wouldn't use it for anything other than maybe some single player games

Even using my 32" 4k monitor feels big for shooters and my main screen is now the LG 45" OLED ultrawide and I feel like my eyes are having to look all over the place on that even though it has black bars when I use a console on it

Well of course you could use from a far enough distance, but yes if you are sitting on a desk it would be too much I think

IFireflyl

Gold Member
My new motherboard should arrive this Thursday (January 12th). My specs once I assemble it later this week:

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero
CPU: i9-13900k
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z73 AIO
Thermal Paste: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
CPU Accessory: Thermal Grizzly Intel 12th Gen Contact CPU Frame (compatible with 13th Gen)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090
RAM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series DDR5 6000 MHz
NVME: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro (x2)
SSD: 4TB Samsung 860 Pro (I have had this for years, and I use it as a data storage drive.)
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power 12 1500W 80+ Titanium (modular)

Update (in bold):

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero
CPU: i9-13900k
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z73 AIO
Thermal Paste: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
CPU Accessory: Thermal Grizzly Intel 12th Gen Contact CPU Frame (compatible with 13th Gen)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090
RAM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series DDR5 6000 MHz
NVME: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro; 4TB Samsung 990 Pro (x2)
SSD:
4TB Samsung 860 Pro; 8TB Samsung 870 QVO (both of these drives are used as a data storage drive)
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power 12 1500W 80+ Titanium (modular)

I wanted to get a Strix 4090 OC, but I refuse to pay the scalper prices.

Last edited:

MikeM

Decided to use my third nvme slot on my motherboard. 2x 1TB nvme storage wasn’t cutting it, so decided to buy this:

WVGlKlb.jpg

4TB should be plenty now. Eff COD and their 150-200GB installs.

Last edited:
Just got the Samsung OLED G9 super ultrawide monitor!

Trying to dial in the settings for Windows 11 and PC gaming. If anyone knows any good settings guide, throw them my way!

Also, what's the deal with blurry text in Windows with OLED's? Is that Microsoft's fault? I know they have the program cleartext. Is it blurry because clear text wasn't made to work with OLED's? Does MSFT simply need to update their software and the blurry text issue will be fixed? Or is this a problem with this particular monitor itself? I used a 42 inch C2 OLED monitor for a bit last year and don't remember having any text clarity issues...

Last edited:
I was having a real hard time trying to find my new desktop monitor, I had the LG 45" uwide but the resolution was piss, ended up spending half the money and getting an LG C3 42" and it's pretty much perfect for my needs. As a bonus it takes up hardly any desk space either because there's no stand or adjustments.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Welp, just pulled the trigger on a 4090 that I found miraculously in stock.

Between that and all the early Black Friday deals I've been soaking up, I may not be able to afford to eat this winter, but I'll have some killer FPS!

(and will easily stay warm with all the heat blasting out of my case)

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

Between that and all the early Black Friday deals I've been soaking up, I may not be able to afford to eat this winter, but I'll have some killer FPS!

Nice! Which one did you grab?

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to PC builds. I've just been gaming on a basic build that I bought online;

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600G
PSU: 350W
RAM: 16 GB (DDR4)

I mostly have been playing retro games on it, but recently I've started playing more contemporary games and have wanted to be able to kick up the graphics settings.
After doing some YoutTube and Google research, I just ordered the following add-ons/ upgrades:

RX 6700 XT
600W PSU
16 GB more RAM
and a new case to fit it all in: MasterBox Q300L Micro-ATX

I'm obviously not shooting for high-end, but hoping that this will give me a nice boost for recent games. What do you think, PC Gaf? Did I miss anything?

peish

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to PC builds. I've just been gaming on a basic build that I bought online;

I mostly have been playing retro games on it, but recently I've started playing more contemporary games and have wanted to be able to kick up the graphics settings.
After doing some YoutTube and Google research, I just ordered the following add-ons/ upgrades:

RX 6700 XT
600W PSU
16 GB more RAM

I'm obviously not shooting for high-end, but hoping that this will give me a nice boost for recent games. What do you think, PC Gaf? Did I miss anything?

assuming your ram is 2x8GB now, i rather sell it and buy 2x16GB for that 32GB target. using 4 ram sticks are harsher on performance.

If you can grab a 5800X3D down the line, it will also boost your gaming needs, very much above 5600G

No joke, it's really comfortable at my attic mancave without any heating on when playing on pc and the thermals are nothing crazy. Enjoy the 4090!

Just got the Samsung OLED G9 super ultrawide monitor!

Trying to dial in the settings for Windows 11 and PC gaming. If anyone knows any good settings guide, throw them my way!

Also, what's the deal with blurry text in Windows with OLED's? Is that Microsoft's fault? I know they have the program cleartext. Is it blurry because clear text wasn't made to work with OLED's? Does MSFT simply need to update their software and the blurry text issue will be fixed? Or is this a problem with this particular monitor itself? I used a 42 inch C2 OLED monitor for a bit last year and don't remember having any text clarity issues...
I also use a lg 42C2 and don't have any text clarity issues.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Nothing wrong with that. All 4090 coolers are overkill and they all perform within a few percent of eachother anyway.

Whew, I was actually sorta nervous about posting it is a PNY 4090, thinking someone would say they're rubbish or something, but from all the quick research I did before ordering it, sounds like they're mostly all equal when it comes down to just raw performance. Aesthetics being different of course, but to me the PNY doesn't look gaudy or anything.

adamosmaki

RX 6700 XT
600W PSU
16 GB more RAM

Pretty good. I have a 6700xt and everything i play it runs on max settings at 1440p at least 60fps ( no ray tracing that is ) unless is an unoptimized mess
You might consider a 5800x3d if you wanna extend the life of that pc by quite alot. Even a 5600/5600x will be a decent upgrade over 5600g on the cheap especially if you sell that 5600g

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Whew, I was actually sorta nervous about posting it is a PNY 4090, thinking someone would say they're rubbish or something, but from all the quick research I did before ordering it, sounds like they're mostly all equal when it comes down to just raw performance. Aesthetics being different of course, but to me the PNY doesn't look gaudy or anything.

Nah you're golden! You'll have to share your impressions once you have it all set up.

Elysium44

Banned
With a 12900k:

dGLBYAN.png

This doesn't seem very representative of a typical system. DDR4-3600 CL14 is extremely low latency and very expensive, it would more commonly be CL18 or CL16 (I have some of the latter myself). Whereas for the DDR5-6000, CL36 is slow, CL30 is only slightly more expensive. Interesting to see the massive differences in some games to others though.

Sanepar

I have a 12700k. I was thinking to get a 7800x3d or 14700k. But i was checking reviews and the upgrade would get me only 6% in fps @4k? That is it?

Leonidas

I have a 12700k. I was thinking to get a 7800x3d or 14700k. But i was checking reviews and the upgrade would get me only 6% in fps @4k? That is it?
And that's if you have a 4090. If you don't have a 4090 the % difference at 4K will be even less.

Upgrading to the top CPU ain't worth it for those gaming at 4K.

hinch7

Not really worth the expense for so little upgrade. In most games you're going to be GPU bound at 4K with your 4080. Unless you play a lot of e-sports games that are more CPU bound, it might be worth looking into. But even then, the 12700K is plenty powerful for todays games.

May as well wait for Zen 5 at this point which is rumored to have big IPC gains. Or whatever Intel has cooking up, next year. That will let your next graphics card breathe when you next upgrade your GPU.

Last edited:

MikeM

This doesn't seem very representative of a typical system. DDR4-3600 CL14 is extremely low latency and very expensive, it would more commonly be CL18 or CL16 (I have some of the latter myself). Whereas for the DDR5-6000, CL36 is slow, CL30 is only slightly more expensive. Interesting to see the massive differences in some games to others though.
Agreed but thats what I could find quickly.

CGNoire

So I pulled the Trigger and ordered parts for my new PC. Looking to push UE5 to the limit at as close to native as possible @30fps.

Did I go Overkill?

32GB
512gb m.2
4TB m.2
8TB HDD
1000watt Power supply

Cost about $3300 ....I overpayed didnt I?

I can already hear my great grandchildrens bank accounts weeping.

amigastar

So I pulled the Trigger and ordered parts for my new PC. Looking to push UE5 to the limit at as close to native as possible @30fps.

Did I go Overkill?

32GB
512gb m.2
4TB m.2
8TB HDD
1000watt Power supply

30fps? More like 240+fps with this PC :messenger_grinning_squinting:
No, but seriously you can reach easily 90+ frames at 4k with demanding games and games in the future

Last edited:

Mahnmut

Hey guys, what are your thoughts about this build (it's for a friend, the goal was to stay under 2000€) :
  • Intel Core i5 13400F processor
  • MSI PRO B760M-P
  • 32GB G.Skill Trident
  • Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 2 To
  • MSI GeForce RTX 4080 16GB
  • Aorus P750W 80PLUS Gold
Thanks !

Quixz

Hey guys, what are your thoughts about this build (it's for a friend, the goal was to stay under 2000€) :
  • MSI PRO B760M-P
  • 32GB G.Skill Trident
Thanks !

I would switch that 13400F with a RYZEN 7600 or 7600x, both are cheap right now on Amazon.

Codeblew

• MSI PRO B760M-P
  • 32GB G.Skill Trident
Thanks !
I don't know how close you are to 2000 but maybe consider the 7800x3d for ~$150 usd more if you haven't already.

hinch7

• MSI PRO B760M-P
  • 32GB G.Skill Trident
Thanks !
Not bad. I really wouldn't advise to buy a 4080 right now. The Super series is coming early next year and the RT4080 is soon to be discontinued. Will be replaced with the 4080 Super; thats rumored to be cheaper and around 10% faster. From that savings you can notch it up to an AMD5 platform for longevity and a 7800X3D - thats significantly faster for gaming over that i5.

You might even be able to find a good deal for the 4080 after the Super refresh launches.

Last edited:

Bojji

Not bad. I really wouldn't advise to buy a 4080 right now. The Super series is coming early next year and the RT4080 is soon to be discontinued. Will be replaced with the 4080 Super; thats rumored to be cheaper and around 10% faster. From that savings you can notch it up to an AMD5 platform for longevity and a 7800X3D - thats significantly faster for gaming over that i5.

You might even be able to find a good deal for the 4080 after the Super refresh launches.

It won't be 10% faster most likely (less) but it may be cheaper.

hinch7

It won't be 10% faster most likely (less) but it may be cheaper.
Yeah maybe more like 5-6%. Depends on how far Nvidia are willing to push TDP since the coolers can handle it. And they want this GPU to beat out the 7900XTX. Hopefully priced more like its competitors too.

Or another alternative is the 4070Ti Super (stupid name) which is marginly slower than the outgoing 4080, that uses the same AD103, but slightly cut down. And probably around $800, which isn't that bad of a deal.

Last edited:

Bojji

Yeah maybe more like 5-6%. Depends on how far Nvidia are willing to push TDP since the coolers can handle it. And they want this GPU to beat out the 7900XTX. Hopefully priced more like its competitors too.

Or another alternative is the 4070Ti Super (stupid name) which is marginly slower than the outgoing 4080, that uses the same AD103, but slightly cut down. And probably around $800, which isn't that bad of a deal.

4070ti super has 10% more cuda cores than 4070ti so in theory it should be closer to this GPU than 4080 in most scenarios. But in 4k it will most likely be closer to 4080 thanks to wider bus.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Did I go Overkill?

32GB
512gb m.2
4TB m.2
8TB HDD
1000watt Power supply

30fps?? With this setup you're not doing 30fps. I assume you're playing in 4K? 60fps minimum in every game, except perhaps new demanding titles like Alan Wake 2,which requires som DLSS 3 magic to give the stable 60fps with everything enabled and maxed out with this setup.

Hohenheim

Congrats! Recently upgraded from 3090/i9 12900k to 4090/13900k myself. To get most out of my new 4k monitor. Its amazing.
Currently playing Alan Wake 2 with everything maxed out at stable 60fps in 4K. It's a huge upgrade! Enjoy!!

OverHeat

« generous god »
Congrats! Recently upgraded from 3090/i9 12900k to 4090/13900k myself. To get most out of my new 4k monitor. Its amazing.
Currently playing Alan Wake 2 with everything maxed out at stable 60fps in 4K. It's a huge upgrade! Enjoy!!
That useless cpu upgrade 😂 it’s like when I “upgraded” my 7950x to a 7950x3D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom