• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twilo99

Ya'll, I've just swapped out my 7900 XTX for an RTX 4090... 4090 arrives tomorrow, just in time for Alan Wake II

Im Not Proud Golden Girls GIF by TV Land

Did you get it at a normal price? It seems like there is a bit of a shortage because they all went to China, or at least that’s what I read

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Ok, so after a lot of research I'm finally about to pull the trigger on a new build, my first one in 9 fucking years! (due to life circumstances, I've been having to limp along with a 4770k cpu and a 1080ti)

Let me know what you all think, I'm sure there are things I haven't thought of, or a tweak I could do.

Project Overkill (I'll be gaming at 3440x1440p @ 120mhz)

• AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • ASRock X670E Taichi mb
  • Lian Li Galahad II LCD AIO
  • G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 64 GB (2x32GB) DDR5-6000 CL30
  • WD Black SN850X 2 TB m.2
  • WD Black SN850X 4 TB m.2
  • PowerColor Red Devil RX 7900 XTX
  • Hyte Y70 Touch case
  • SeaSonic VERTEX PX-1000 watt 80+ Platinum
  • a crap ton of Lian Li Uni SL-Infinity fans
  • Windows 11 and all that...

Total is around $3500-ish US.

twilo99

Ok, so after a lot of research I'm finally about to pull the trigger on a new build, my first one in 9 fucking years! (due to life circumstances, I've been having to limp along with a 4770k cpu and a 1080ti)

Let me know what you all think, I'm sure there are things I haven't thought of, or a tweak I could do.

• AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • ASRock X670E Taichi mb
  • Hyte Y70 Touch case

That's a crazy looking case!

Any particular reason you want the PowerColor XTX? I think the xfx board is cheaper and they are generally good quality

Ozriel

M$FT

• AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • ASRock X670E Taichi mb
  • Hyte Y70 Touch case

Just curious. For GPU, Why go AMD over the 4090?
Also, no point pulling this trigger now this close to Black Friday deals on components.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
That's a crazy looking case!

Any particular reason you want the PowerColor XTX? I think the xfx board is cheaper and they are generally good quality

I thought the PowerColor looked cool hah. Going for a mainly red color scheme. I'll look at the other XTX's more closely, though, to see if any fit the bill.

O Ozriel - I don't like the fact that 4090's cost over $2000 mostly, unless you can find one for MSRP, which is still silly, $500+ more than the XTX. I figure I will be happy with the XTX for a good while, getting something more powerful down the road.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

Well.. maybe should wait for the 4080 super and see how that is
Considering how much 4090s are going for now, you're better off waiting for the 4080 Super. I got really fucking lucky when I got my PNY 4090 last month at MSRP. Seeing how it's jumped a LOT now?? Fucking hell!

Last edited:

hinch7

• AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • ASRock X670E Taichi mb
  • Hyte Y70 Touch case

Personally I would spend less on cooling and expensive fans bump that 7900XTX to a RTX 4090. The 7800X3D only really needs a decent air cooler being a 120 TDP part. Something like the Thermalright Phantom Spirit.

But I guess you're going for aesthetics with that Aio. Also the Super series coming soon so you could wait it out a couple months for the 4080 Super. Rumors are early next year.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

• AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • ASRock X670E Taichi mb
  • Hyte Y70 Touch case

Funneth times you shall haveth!

Leonidas

• AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • ASRock X670E Taichi mb
  • Hyte Y70 Touch case

7800 X3D is overkill for a 120 Hz monitor.
RX 7900 XTX price will likely drop when Nvidia announces the 40-Super Series in 2 months. 7900 XTX will also be a mid-range GPU next-gen, it won't have the legs that your 1080 Ti had.
1000w PSU also seems overkill for this build.

So you're prepared to spend $3500 but don't really care about path tracing performance eh?

Quixz

• AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • ASRock X670E Taichi mb
  • Hyte Y70 Touch case

That's a lot of money to spend on a motherboard, those are going for around 480 - 599 in the UK, how much is it over the pond?
I would recommend saving some money on the board and push for a 4090 since you're already at the point of no return spending $3500 on a PC :messenger_tears_of_joy:

TVexperto

7800X3D + 2x24GB 6400 ram + Asus X670E Gene

This for future proofing.
Gene is mATX
Gene supports 3 NVME of which 2 are gen 5 and 1 is gen 4, all 3 have independent bandwdith
Gene supports easier memory overclocking, you can run your 48GB ram at 7600 - 8000 rather easy with some grease work.
thanks again but is there any way there is an alternative intel processor to the one you offered? why is amd better?

Bojji

thanks again but is there any way there is an alternative intel processor to the one you offered? why is amd better?

It's the best gaming processor right now.

AM5 platform will also offer you upgrade options for years.

Currently AMD is just better.

But if you really want Intel I think 13600K/14600K (it's the same thing) is the best deal for Intel CPUs.

Hohenheim

4K is dangerous!
I recently upgraded to a 4K monitor, and quickly realized that my 3090 rig no longer was up for the task of running the newest games in high frames..
The difference in picture quality felt like a huge upgrade, but the lower framerates made me do a impulse purchase and upgraded to a 4090 and a i9 13900K. Which also made me in need of a better power supply.

So to everyone who's upgrading: be aware of the "danger" with 4K if you're considering it as part of a upgrade.
A very satisfying danger, though.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
7800 X3D is overkill for a 120 Hz monitor.
RX 7900 XTX price will likely drop when Nvidia announces the 40-Super Series in 2 months. 7900 XTX will also be a mid-range GPU next-gen, it won't have the legs that your 1080 Ti had.
1000w PSU also seems overkill for this build.

So you're prepared to spend $3500 but don't really care about path tracing performance eh?

I know all this to be true, but finding a 4090 that's anywhere near MSRP is silly right now. My thought was to overbuild (like, I'll eventually get a new monitor) on some things, skimp on the video card until later next year or whenever I can pick up a 4090 for something less than ludicrous/robbery.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Definitely have things to think about.

EDIT: Is there anything wrong with Zotac 4090s? (DAMN YOU ALL, :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_tears_of_joy:) You all are probably right, just go ahead and spend the extra money now so that I don't have to worry about it for a while.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
I know all this to be true, but finding a 4090 that's anywhere near MSRP is silly right now. My thought was to overbuild (like, I'll eventually get a new monitor) on some things, skimp on the video card until later next year or whenever I can pick up a 4090 for something less than ludicrous/robbery.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Definitely have things to think about.

EDIT: Is there anything wrong with Zotac 4090s? (DAMN YOU ALL, :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_tears_of_joy:) You all are probably right, just go ahead and spend the extra money now so that I don't have to worry about it for a while.
I have a zotac trinity OC and it boost to 3000 easy have it since launch

peish

honestly never had a amd cpu is it better than intel?

It is fine, you get similar gaming performance with 7800x3d. There are games that works better on X3D and there are games that works better on Intel higher clockspeeds.

If you dont like tuning bios and dealing with higher heat, X3D is better for build and look away, and provides a much better future upgrade path for cpu and gpu.

peish

• AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • ASRock X670E Taichi mb
  • Hyte Y70 Touch case

B650E Taichi lite seems to be almost same, all the important bits are in. It is much cheaper i believe

Dont get 2x32GB if you want to overclock it, 2x24GB is much easier to run DDR-8000 lol

Needlecrash

B650E Taichi lite seems to be almost same, all the important bits are in. It is much cheaper i believe

Dont get 2x32GB if you want to overclock it, 2x24GB is much easier to run DDR-8000 lol
That's what I use now. The B650E Taichi Lite. It was either that or the X670E Steel Legend.

peish

That's what I use now. The B650E Taichi Lite. It was either that or the X670E Steel Legend.

B650E Taichi is much better than Steel Legend.

A problem with Asrock AMD Taichi lineup, you can only have one PCIE5 SSD.
Asus Crosshair lineup mean while, allows two PCIE5 SSD.
Asus :lollipop_blowing_kiss:

Last edited:

TVexperto

It is fine, you get similar gaming performance with 7800x3d. There are games that works better on X3D and there are games that works better on Intel higher clockspeeds.

If you dont like tuning bios and dealing with higher heat, X3D is better for build and look away, and provides a much better future upgrade path for cpu and gpu.
Oh i forgot to mention i still have ddr4 ramm (32gb) and that the 7800x3d does not support ddr4... :(

twilo99

4K is dangerous!
I recently upgraded to a 4K monitor, and quickly realized that my 3090 rig no longer was up for the task of running the newest games in high frames..
The difference in picture quality felt like a huge upgrade, but the lower framerates made me do a impulse purchase and upgraded to a 4090 and a i9 13900K. Which also made me in need of a better power supply.

So to everyone who's upgrading: be aware of the "danger" with 4K if you're considering it as part of a upgrade.
A very satisfying danger, though.

Is the difference from 1440p on a 27-32 inch monitor worth it? I need to take a look at some in person

winjer

Gold Member
Is the difference from 1440p on a 27-32 inch monitor worth it? I need to take a look at some in person

Depends on how close you sit to the monitor. But for the most part, yes, there is a difference.
At 1440p, and at 32", you will notice every pixel and the pixel pitch. At that size , it's best top start considering 4K resolution.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
B650E Taichi is much better than Steel Legend.

A problem with Asrock AMD Taichi lineup, you can only have one PCIE5 SSD.
Asus Crosshair lineup mean while, allows two PCIE5 SSD.
Asus :lollipop_blowing_kiss:

Hmm, for some reason, I had it stuck in my head that Asus had an issue with AM5 boards, but maybe that was early on and it was ironed out.

I've always used them in the past (except for one build I went Gigabyte, and they were fine as well). I'll have to take a look at Asus' lineup for AM5...

peish

Hmm, for some reason, I had it stuck in my head that Asus had an issue with AM5 boards, but maybe that was early on and it was ironed out.

I've always used them in the past (except for one build I went Gigabyte, and they were fine as well). I'll have to take a look at Asus' lineup for AM5...

Nothing wrong with Asus AM5 boards, just youtubers jumping the gun for click baits.

I will say Asus has the best AM5 lineup and options, follow by Asrock.

Bojji

Nothing wrong with Asus AM5 boards, just youtubers jumping the gun for click baits.

I will say Asus has the best AM5 lineup and options, follow by Asrock.

You have posters here talking about dead 3D processors on Asus boards...

My suggestion is to avoid Asus MB, they have proven to be shitty company:

peish

You have posters here talking about dead 3D processors on Asus boards...

My suggestion is to avoid Asus MB, they have proven to be shitty company:

Nope, that long hair guy is among those click baity youtubers i was talking about

Last edited:

draliko

i have a 1440p 32" VA monitor and i must say it's not bad, but i'm moving back to 27" for the next monitor, i still think 27" is the perfect match for 1440p gameplay, from 32" onward especially on a monitor i would move to 4k (but only if you have money to burn).

Guwop

Neo Member
Depends on how close you sit to the monitor. But for the most part, yes, there is a difference.
At 1440p, and at 32", you will notice every pixel and the pixel pitch. At that size , it's best top start considering 4K resolution.
I game on a 32 inch Monitor at 1440p and personally I don't notice any of that.

SScorpio

• AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • ASRock X670E Taichi mb
  • Hyte Y70 Touch case

I hope you didn't order anything yet. I really recommend checking out the PC Builder YouTube Channel. He gives lots of great advice. https://www.youtube.com/@PCBuilderChannel

He created a 7800X3D and 7900XTX build for $2,400. Don't waste your money.
https://www.newegg.com/tools/custom-pc-builder/share/rvPSrVDgP8dTds5q/96Zm7b5T7kDNWoF

If you have access to Microcenter, you can save the on CPU/MB/RAM https://www.microcenter.com/product...ies-32gb-ddr5-6000-kit,-computer-build-bundle

Be sure to watch the video, he discusses adding in all those fans, and how it ends up being a bunch of money for no additional performance.

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I hope you didn't order anything yet. I really recommend checking out the PC Builder YouTube Channel. He gives lots of great advice. https://www.youtube.com/@PCBuilderChannel

He created a 7800X3D and 7900XTX build for $2,400. Don't waste your money.
https://www.newegg.com/tools/custom-pc-builder/share/rvPSrVDgP8dTds5q/96Zm7b5T7kDNWoF

If you have access to Microcenter, you can save the on CPU/MB/RAM https://www.microcenter.com/product...ies-32gb-ddr5-6000-kit,-computer-build-bundle

Be sure to watch the video, he discusses adding in all those fans, and how it ends up being a bunch of money for no additional performance.

Haven't bought anything yet! I've watched that dude recently, but I don't think that particular video, will check it out, thanks. I'm not trying to wring any extra performance out of what I'm building, just completely wasting money on aesthetics, and future expansion/upgrades/etc. I do appreciate everyone's thoughts, and I guarantee I'll fuck something up or waste a lot of money, despite everyone's best efforts.

EDIT: Ok that PC Builder guy has given me more to think about. Especially looking at a B650 AM5 instead of a X670. It's crazy how much PC enthusiast building has changed since I built my ol' workhorse.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

At 27 - 32“ 1440p looks really good with higher settings and way less taxing than 4k

Now when you compare 1440 and 4k side by side 4k does look nicer and sharper but honestly not worth it
I had a 32" 1440p monitor and upgraded to 32" 4K. Definitly worth it for me. Huge difference in details and clarity. But the huge drop in fps is also somethig to consider. I would not go 4K with any less then a 4090 because of that.

Hohenheim

Definitly worth it in my opinion. Huge difference at a 32" when you sit close. The difference in Dead Space Remake,which was the first game I played on my 4K monitor after playing much of the game in 1440p prior was incredible!

Needlecrash

I have to say, I'm very happy with my PNY 4090. It runs VERY quiet, even under load. Combined with the Phantom Spirit cooler, it's been an awesome experience.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I had a 32" 1440p monitor and upgraded to 32" 4K. Definitly worth it for me. Huge difference in details and clarity. But the huge drop in fps is also somethig to consider. I would not go 4K with any less then a 4090 because of that.
Yeah I have the 4k Neo Odyssey G7 32" and when I first fire it up the detail is very nice

TVexperto

Those are good choices.

If you're going for value though, 12th Gen can't be beat when it comes to DDR4 CPUs. 12600K is $140/$153 right now on Amazon, 12700KF is $199/$211.
12700KF is same price as 12700K here in germany so i will get that - just need a good mtx motherboard now that has 3xnvme slots + gpu slot. that way i can continue to use my ddr4 ram and im set for a few years at least!

Last edited:

SScorpio

Haven't bought anything yet! I've watched that dude recently, but I don't think that particular video, will check it out, thanks. I'm not trying to wring any extra performance out of what I'm building, just completely wasting money on aesthetics, and future expansion/upgrades/etc. I do appreciate everyone's thoughts, and I guarantee I'll fuck something up or waste a lot of money, despite everyone's best efforts.

EDIT: Ok that PC Builder guy has given me more to think about. Especially looking at a B650 AM5 instead of a X670. It's crazy how much PC enthusiast building has changed since I built my ol' workhorse.
Ya, he's definitely changed my view on how to do builds. My current system is a Lian Li O11 filled with fans :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I did a mid range builds this fall to use for Virtual Pinball and gaming on a TV. It's using a $60 mATX case that came with fans. On modern systems, you have your CPU, MB, RAM, GPU, and an NVME drive. Then figure out the case and PSU and possibly CPU cooler and you are done. There isn't much reason to with full ATX builds anymore. At that time I built a PC for a friend, he went with a Microcenter bundle that had an ATX board, so he ended up with a full ATX case for $80 that came with four fans and included a fan controller. It just doesn't make sense to drop $150-200 on a case then several hundred more on a bunch of fans.

twilo99

i have a 1440p 32" VA monitor and i must say it's not bad, but i'm moving back to 27" for the next monitor, i still think 27" is the perfect match for 1440p gameplay, from 32" onward especially on a monitor i would move to 4k (but only if you have money to burn).

Yes, I just checked and the pixel density gets pretty low at 1440p at 32"

So verdict is 1440p up to 27" and 4k for anything above if you have a GPU able to push 4k of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom