• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love my PS5, but this has to be the worst design ever produced

Flutta

Banned
I mean i have mine behind the TV 😂
The design team did a really bad job imo. Worst design detail for me would
The blu-ray drive. People are used to for generation to put the disk with the sticker on top not upside down ffs. I mean wtf were they thinking here 🤦🏻‍♂️

assurdum

Banned
I ordered Darkplates 2.0 for my digital edition. Big improvement.

UNEWJLi.jpg
Seriously. Had to be like this from the beginning, end of the story. I'd like to punch in the face the person who thought to the shapes of the plates.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

The symmetry of the digital edition is nicer on the eyes than the standard disc version, by far.

I think if Sony would have made the console and controller matte black from the beginning, it wouldn’t have looked so awkward. White electronics in general appear “larger” to the eyes as opposed to black.

It's an abomination and the ugliest console ever made. By far. But who cares? Stands behind the tv and that's it. Nobody buys a console for the looks.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
It definitely was a big middle finger to the Japanese market. A console of its size is not going to be appealing in a place where space is at such a premium, but I can see with Sony's other moves that the JPN market is pretty much an afterthought these days anyway.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Visually, it's the Guggenheim of consoles. Stupidly unpractical, with a headscratching design.

I've hidden mine behind my TV at this point.

usp84

I don't give a damn how it looks but the stand that can fall apart so easy and just the fact that you have to use it to correctly place the PS5 is unacceptable.Just terrible design that you would expect to find in a 20 dollar kids toy not a 500 dollar machine.

BTW is there a way to use anything else in place of the stand?

assurdum

Banned
Its an absolute monstrosity. If I ever buy one it'll go into a corner behind a large pot plant or something.
Visually, it's the Guggenheim of consoles. Stupidly unpractical, with a headscratching design.

I've hidden mine behind my TV at this point.
I'm the last person who like the look of the ps5 but why to be so overdramatic.

Last edited:
Looks like absolute garbage. We said it here even when they announced it and the render made it look as good as possible. Now in the real world it looks even worse.

Lupin25

A lot of people just over-exaggerate 😂 … the DE is a little more visually appealing tho.

Without the stand, it reminds me of the size of an original PS3.

It’s quiet and once you start playing, you forget where it’s even at (like all consoles), so I tend not to care anyways.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Here I am over here thinking it's the best looking, coolest console ever.

Sony always thinks outside the box. The last box console they had was PS2. Everything since has been different and I like that.

S0ULZB0URNE

This thread is only about the physical aesthetic. Over a year after my original purchase and I'm still astounded Sony went with this design, form over function.
8wNUtVZ.jpg

My main gripe is the need for the stand and how clumsily it attaches in the horizonal configuration. If you put any pressure on the sides, say when you are ejecting a disc and you rest your hand on it, it tips, rotates, and slides around on the base. I move my PS5 regularly between my office and the living room and the stand comes off so easily, it's really annoying. The funny thing is all the accessories that match the visual design are so much better (controller, camera, charging station, headset). I guess it would also be helpful to mention that we've seen multiple instances of people not knowing which direction is up in horizonal configuration or even it being set down without the stand so it rests askew.
CmWsPjL.jpg

The other issue is the size. It's so ridiculously large. And you can't help but feel the wild design compounds the issue. Instead of trying to cut down on the footprint they just said F it and went even bigger.
wSUXR4E.jpg

By contrast, both Xbox Series designs are really nice and honestly it's because the have a flat side where it can rest and be stable. You would have thought that everyone start with that requirement. My XSS has such a nice footprint and it's weight tells me they put as much as they could into that reasonably sized console.

I would say the launch PS3 is a distant second for Sony's worse design. Such an odd shape, heavy and large. At least it sat flat and remained stable.
XCu0OgY.jpg

(Not my setup, just an image of someone NOT using the stand so it sits slanted)

I honestly don't have any qualms about the rest of the decisions they've made with the PS5. I've really enjoyed it and my only wish is that more games would have gotten PS5 update patches since actual next gen games are barely trickling out.

Does anyone have insight on the decision process like this? Has there ever been a worse console design?
When you have to make more breathing room for your boost clocks this is what they came up with.
Seems like they scrambled and rushed it a bit...but what do I know?

evanft

I bought aftermarket stands that sit on the outer edges when it's horizontal. Made the system more stable while also reducing the vibrations that transferred into my home theater's shelving. This cut down some of the noise that came through from the disc drive.

Brofist

It's by far the ugliest console. The only things in the same realm were 90s consoles that had add-ons that stacked up and made them look like toilet bowls.

Last edited:

Banned
I have learned to like it kinda, but a design like this is prone to age like milk. it is way to out there.
systems with simple and straight forward designs usually age way better over time visually.

sega_dreamcast_console_pal_sdc-2_x280.png

274px-PAL-SNES.png

240px-Japanese_Mega_Drive_2.png

ps2_slim_black-2_x280.png

the PS2 Slim especially is still so fucking sexy to this day... the matte finish with that piano black line in the middle and the small form factor!

but the Dreamcast ages super well too, and not only the design of the system!
look at the packaging, that could literally be released with the exact same design today and would fit in perfectly and look sleek as fuck
R.92a40ca2df744262efe99cdcef5db1e9

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

OIP.fHv4JnpjrpWof11M_klcIAHaIf

s-l640.jpg

Last edited:
it is huge. cumbersome. shaped oddly. just begging for dust to be inhaled into it. Lights up a dark room. Has to be assembled. And even the disc doesn't go in the way you think it should

it is not just the worst designed console. Its the worst designed piece of electronics i've ever owned

boomcrab

Personally I just absolutely love it, the size, the design, everything. But I'm a weirdo. The goofier it is the stronger the bond I make with it. I wish I had the thicc ps3 but only have the slim. I can accept that I have poor taste with some things, it's no problem.
It's funny to me that everyone is so desperate to get a ps5 that when many of us do eventually BOOM a slick new redesign releases. Say what you will of Sony's launch consoles but every slim is reliably sexy

Notabueno

Banned
This is one of the reason why I won't buy it until redesign: this is by far the worst Playstation at the exception of the OG PS3.

And it's not just the aesthetic design, it's also how fucking stupid, greedy and badly engineered the industrial design is too: they wanted to squeeze performance out of a smaller chip than recommended by AMD, thinking liquid metal would be enough to cool it, instead it emits so much heat that they had to put it on a huge motherboard to space the memory packages out, and cram the biggest heatsink as well as vent I've ever seen in a consumer product.

They probably lost 50% of the size to their bad, greedy design (which ended-up being less powerful than the Xbox X despite being bigger, or the exact opposite of the Xbox One vs PS4...), but bless them for having a strong bonding and probably the stupidest generation of fanboys (which is actually always a bad prospective sign).

Last edited:
Top Bottom