• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that time has settled, what are your thoughts on the PS5 design?

Best part is the cooling efficiency. It's big but at least silent and that's the most important. The main problems of past PS3, PS4 and Pro (2 models) was the incredible and annoying jet engine noise aggravated with time while My PS5 has being as silent as the first day.

Godot25

Banned
Oversized
I think that Sony wanted to avoid PS4 blunders in terms of how loud console is so they overcompensated in terms of heatsink which directly led to size of console.
We know that since Sony meanwhile reduced size of heatsinks in future revisions.
Ugly
This is entirely subjective of course. PS5 in horizontal position is ugliest console I had in my household. Vertical is way better. But use of glossy plastic on console should be forbidden. Because no matter how careful you are with glossy finish, it will always end up being scratched.
Practical
I like that you can use vacuum to clear console pretty easily thanks to covers. Also fact that you can customise console covers is pretty great.

I think the PS5 design is certainly eye-catching but I feel the console could have been smaller with a more conventional design free of all the curves and those huge panels. The panels in particular make the PS5 look a lot larger than it is.

Not the worse console design I've seen but at least the console runs cooler and quieter than the PS4 and PS4 Pro ever did!

Jim Carrey Vomit GIF

Too big, black piano part etc... But she's silent (with BR inside) mainly due to its design which is the most important.

Spyxos

Gold Member
It looked ugly on day 1. Nothing has changed there either. The design looks like a prototype and not a finished product. My Ps5 is behind the TV so I can't see it. And the guy who invented the plastic stand under the Ps5 should be fired. Mine has already fallen off the stand several times while cleaning.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's absolutely fine, at least vertical. Not being able to place it horizontally without a stand (that it doesn't even attach to properly) is a very dumb design decision.

Roitorb

So the stand doesn’t click in? I thought it was me being think. I bought the son one for Christmas and the stand drives me mad.

I love how unique it looks and I was very pleased that they went back towards the direction of the PS3 fat boy design.

I just kind of wish it was flush sitting horizontally and you didn't need a stand for it.

I prefer consoles to be as discreet as possible and the PS5 is the antithesis of that. It's giant, uses glossy plastic, and the curvature along with the contrasting plates are trying too hard to be cool. It stands out in all the wrong ways.

I'm not ashamed to have friends and family know I play some games as an adult, but I also don't like to draw attention to it. I keep my Switch docked in a cabinet below my TV and thankfully it doesn't seem to cause much interference with controllers and heating is a non-issue.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I bought the thing at launch and I still can't decide if I like or loathe the design.

Last edited:
I tossed mine soon as I pulled it out of the box. I'm using it vertical so whatever. It's bottom heavy and the plates sit flush. There is still a small amount of room underneath. No problems since launch.
Yea, it's too tall for any section of my entertainment center. It only fits horizontal. I got a ton hooked up to my ps5 and have to reach behind it to even see if I'm on the stand or not.
I'm stll not even 100% positive I'm on the stand, it might just be resting on the usb hdd I have under the right side of the console.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I hated it when it was first unveiled, it's just really ugly, especially the disc version, and it's ridiculously enormous. Anyway three years on, I don't like it, especially horizontally. It's also a fundamentally flawed - Hermann Hulst had his upside down. But vertically it does have a cool, striking, spire look. I really think it was first and foremost designed as a disc-less, vertically oriented system.

StereoVsn

Design is meh, but what's even more meh is Blu-Ray drive that spins up for disk check every 20 min and sounds like it's a jet taking off.

Sethbacca

I've never had a problem with it, but I did buy some of the translucent orange darkplates from dbrand recently and it looks like 100% better. In retrospect I'd probably have gotten rid of the popped collar look.

Crayon

I soon realized it ironically takes less space than the tiny switch because with the switch you need room to lift it out of the dock!

Got to say though our tv stand seems to have a perfect place for everything. A mid-tower pc slots right into one part, and to the right of the tv is a lowered level where the ps5 can stand, but closer to the ground (~14") which has the effect of making it more understated.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I like my devices looking slick and "boring" so I hate it. It's also smaller than it seems in photos btw, I'll be getting one one day anyway

Still ugly but it's selling very well. It's an elaborate design that is impactful at least, maybe appeals to a younger crowd

LostDonkey

The looks of it is nice, I like the shape and the white fins with the black centre and lights but the size is inexcusable for such a respected tech company.

It stays hidden behind my screen while the Series X takes pride of place on the desk.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I've got mine in the kitchen, vertically on the floor. My walls are White and kitchen modern but classic . It looks quite nice in the corner. In the Living room with fireplace and log burner (cosy room) it looks horrendous.

TexMex

The ugliest piece of tech I’ve ever bought. I will say though, the change from white to black plates made it look much, much better.

the_master

Good games, way too ugly console.
Games ftw, but still… how could they make it so ugly? PS4s where very nice actually.

Brigandier

I don't understand why they thought this thing needed them cheap horrible plates, there's already a case around the insides just design that part a bit better and have the same finish as a PS3/4 slim and it's fine???

Top Bottom