• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Persona 6 coming Late 2024 - PS5 Timed Exclusive

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Atlus please just give us something tangible so we can stop relying on these 1/4 wit 'insiders'.

I can't think of a fanbase more willing to listen to such baseless speculation as Atlus fans. How is that PS4 version of SMT V coming along? Any day now, right?

Gorgon

As much as I like the Persona games and I welcome the P3 remake, I'd be far more excited for a remake of Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon or even a new entry in thats series.

Probably never gonna happen, though.

If it's not coming out for a year and a half, just wait to announce til next spring or summer. We don't need 18 months of drip feed, and the constant threat of a delay

Times exclusives is so shit. Either make it a proper console exclusive and optimize the hell out of the game and give it big amounts of love and polish for that specific hardware, or just release it as a multiplat.

You realize timed exclusives can do exactly what you're saying "proper" console exclusives do, right? Because while the game is timed to a single platform, usually that also means development and optimization is tailored to the platform it's prioritizing first.

So that's not a good reason to be against timed exclusives.

Still not played persona 5 properly and I own royal sealed on PS4 and its on (was?) gamepass. I do want to though.

I could see sony securing this, would probs cost a lot now though.

Probably not as much as some think. Persona's become more popular for sure, but it's still not on the level of Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest in terms of popularity (not that it has to be, FWIW). And direct sales on Xbox are pretty low; while Sega/Atlus are seemingly fond of doing Game Pass deals for Persona re-releases and remasters of older games, they likely aren't game for doing Day 1 deals for brand new installments. Heck, while P3R might show up at the Xbox Showcase there's no guarantee it'll be in Game Pass Day 1.

That's information Sony would leverage, that they and Sega/Atlus are aware of, which would in itself moderate the asking price for P6 timed exclusivity so that it stays in a realistic range. Both parties know the vast majority of the IP's buying power is among PlayStation owners.

Last edited:
Hold off for a half a decade see if a 2nd version is coming or not
It's like those who say they aren't buying a PS5 because there may be a PS5 Pro some day. Of course, by then, they may as well wait for PS6. Or they would, but there could be a PS6 Pro some day, so better hold off.

L*][*N*K

Banned
It's like those who say they aren't buying a PS5 because there may be a PS5 Pro some day. Of course, by then, they may as well wait for PS6. Or they would, but there could be a PS6 Pro some day, so better hold off.
I am waiting for the PS7 Pro, or death which ever comes first

Bakkus

That's a rather unrealistic expectation.
Not every gamer can afford a ps5 or will purchase one. The ps5 sales in Japan for example are quite bad, only 3 million ps5s have been sold until now...
The ps5 install base is around 30 million currently, even if we go with optimistic forecasts of 25 million for the fiscal year that would be 55 million. You really think ignoring an install base more than 2x the ps5s for a console that has no presence in the region where one third of personas total sales originate is a smart idea for the firm?
Didn't think about Japan. Yeah, that's true. Sucks if the vision of the game has to be toned down because of it.

Bakkus

Persona 3 FES came out for the PS2 in 2007-2008. By then we already had the PS3 for 1-2 years (depending on market). The original Persona 3 came out for PS2 in mid 2006 only a few months before the PS3 launched and the original Persona 4 came in July 2008 for PS2. Persona 5 came out for PS3 in 2016-2017. Yeah most people got it on PS4 but the game was designed with PS3 in mind.

I would not be surprised at all if Persona 6 is released on PS4.
That's really not the same thing, though. The difference in power of the PS2 and PS3 and thus the budget costs were way bigger than the PS4 and PS5's difference. Furthermore, Atlus already had their engine in place from their previous games on the PS2 in the SMT series. They released like 7 SMT games on the PS2 from 03-08. Both DDS games, both Persona 3 & 4, both Raidou games and of course Nocturne.

That's a rather unrealistic expectation.
Not every gamer can afford a ps5 or will purchase one. The ps5 sales in Japan for example are quite bad, only 3 million ps5s have been sold until now...
The ps5 install base is around 30 million currently, even if we go with optimistic forecasts of 25 million for the fiscal year that would be 55 million. You really think ignoring an install base more than 2x the ps5s for a console that has no presence in the region where one third of personas total sales originate is a smart idea for the firm?

GTFOH with this narrative. PS5 is outpacing PS4 and PS3 sales in Japan; those aren't Switch numbers but Switch has the advantage of being (basically) a portable, I would say in Japan the vast majority use it as a handheld rather than a home console. PS5 sales could be better but they aren't "quite bad"; that would fit Xbox sales much better and that is being generous.

Also the late note from the previous investor call was ~ 36 million, not 30 million. 30 million comes from the start of the year. What's funny (well, kind of) is that by your example, SMT5 should have sold much better than it did, given the Switch's install base in Japan at the time, but it just goes to show you that install base is not a direct correlator to actual software sales. A game isn't going to increase its sales by 2x on Platform B over Platform A just because Platform B has 2x an install base over Platform A. There's a lot more involved, technically speaking.

You even end up contradicting yourself anyway: if the other Persona games have been on a platform that's doing (or in case of PS4, done) "quite bad", yet 1/3 of all Persona sales are coming from the region where the games have mostly been exclusive to that badly performing platform (for at least many years timed), then that kind of squashes the idea said platform is doing "quite badly" in that region, no? Again, yeah the sales could improve, it'd be nice to see PS5 start tracking near PS2 levels in Japan but realistically that's probably not going to happen unless they also make a handheld and count the two as part of the same device family. We'll see what that rumored Q-Lite turns out to be in that regard.

And software sales could maybe be better too, though Famitsu nor Media Create track digital, and on the Switch 3P software is generally doing mediocre at best even in Japan (but no one wants to talk about that). But PS5 hardware itself? It's doing better than PS4 was, I wouldn't call that 'quite bad'.

Last edited:

EDMIX

8 years since Persona 5. Damn thats a long time but I guess sounds correct

Truth.

I hope more support is given to the IP and we get better turnaround times.

With 2 remasters, a remake and 6 on the way, they are off to an amazing start of marketing the brand more!

SABRE220

Didn't think about Japan. Yeah, that's true. Sucks if the vision of the game has to be toned down because of it.
Well doubt their vision of the game will be compromised really. The persona engine is far from demanding and hardly pushes tech. The persona 5 tech was firmly based on the ps3 even though it launched by the ps4 launch and even by ps3 standards wasnt exactly cutting edge the art style though is magnificent. Assuming they really overhauled thier engine I would be very impressed if they managed to push their engine on par with the best tech of last gen like rdr2, decima etc. Considering the state of their tech from persona 5 I think its a safe bet that hardware is not a constraint for their vision but ofcourse could be wrong. Honestly though the persona devs are the one dev team that would never make me worry about the looks of the game persona5 was arguably visually more impactful than a lot of current games even.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I truly love Atlus RPGs and I still do but I really hope they learn from Monolith Soft in how to do DLCs because do far their DLC practice has been atrocious.

schaft0620

I don't think its timed for one year, I think its long term. They just wouldn't do that, it would be day and date or it would be like FF7/FF16.

Top Bottom