• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that time has settled, what are your thoughts on the PS5 design?

VitoNotVito

I loved it since the reveal, it's big but you get used to it
WOA3cOs.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Proper minger.

I bought the purple faceplate to go with my purple controller on one of my ps5s in the hope it would transform into Prince and resurrect the musical genius..đź’ś

But unfortunately he must have thought it looks so hideous that there's no chance....

So I kinda wish I'd bought the black faceplates. My second one is hidden behind the TV, so it's fine

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
It's fucking ridiculous, it doesnt fit in my unit like the series X so I had to put the stupid sized bastid behined the TV, where it gets dusty in 2.5 seconds and one of my cats can get to

And it looks shit. Certainly one of the worst looking consoles i've owned.

Cyborg

I love it, I also bought black plates so its perfect now.

I just positioned it so its for the half behind my LG and it looks sick

Super ugly but not as bad when placed vertically. But considering how quiet and relatively cool it runs compared to the PS4 Pro, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Ozzie666

Colour scheme and branding is good, the controller is good, design of the console doesn't bother me. But the stand definitely does and how easy the console comes off. The PS2 mini is still god tier, and I've really grown to like the PS3 launch model. mind you once the console is under the TV, I don't care.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don’t think that designing consoles that require a flimsy piece of plastic that doesn’t even lock to the console in the horizontal position is a good idea.

The size was necessary, at least for the first iteration. The current one has some almost slim potential already.

The design looks meh. Never liked fancy stuff. My PC housing is a black box. My Mini PC is a black box, only with some nice hex style surface finish on the front. My Mini Server is a black box. So Xbox X would fit perfectly...

From functionality is is better than the BS slanted angles of the PS4, where I hated how it's impossible to plug anything.

The Controller is meh too. Don't trust the longetivity of the triggers, and also don't really like them how they are used. I'd rather have just stiffer springs than those drives and needing to forcefully push the triggers down even on the lowest setting with a crack. In quasi PS4 mode they are mushy as ever, my ancient 360 controller still has the best LT/RT I use.

ZoukGalaxy

It's great, I loved it from the beginning.
I only wish it was not so big but I'm glad it is at the same time since we got a marvelous dead silent console.

Design has good vibes.
Cat Rainbow GIF

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The general idea of the design is good on paper but the execution is complete ass

Looks like an early prototype for an internet router

I make a decent amount of money and like to buy launch consoles to keep in box
the only reason I don't own one is because of how ugly it is

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It’s stupid if you ever want to travel with it. I used to take my PS4 with me. Not that massive bitch, though.

MadPanda

Banned
The design is acceptable but it's size is not. Although, I prefer to have such a bulky console with good cooling and loudness than ps4 pro size and loudness. But I hope engineers can come up with the best of both worlds.

Sony Ps5 GIF
flirty flirting GIF

Take those plates off, whisper some naughty things to the DualSense mic, then tickle and tease PS5s dust sucking bellybutton...:lollipop_anxious_sweat:

HoodWinked

massive and no sense in its aesthetics. Of the lineup if you combine the practicality of the size and aesthetics it may land at the very bottom or near bottom.

main-qimg-76a788f886d074d849ce7f79ddfefd87

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Operation is great, noise level is fine, controller is great, there is about 20 different designs looks wise that I would have preffered, and it's very big. It needs a revamp.

It's so ugly and I can't believe that it just loosely sits on the cheap plastic stand when horizontal. Any other company would have got completely roasted for that.

I bet the replacement plates have made a shit load of money though and probably why we've seen the weird straightjacket XSX covers.

ps5-xbox-series-x-2492179.jpg

Some are quite exaggerated, I like both designs, one more sober and the other more futuristic, it would be boring if all the machines had similar designs.

Hudo

One of the worst things Sony's industrial design unit has ever put out, imho.

They were on the right track with the PS4 and PS4 Slim designs...

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

Ray Charles Laugh GIF

Best design I’ve ever seen.

Real talk: wtf were they thinking, it looks like one of those bad photoshop „exclusive pictures of the new PlayStation prototype“ mock-ups you’d find on the internet 20 years ago. It’s just bad.

DragonNCM

Initially I thought it looked great in vertical position; it felt fresh, different from anything we had before. After I purchased the console last year, I actually decided to put it horizontally, since a lot of hot air is expelled from the side (or the bottom where the stand goes in vertical), so just for the peace of mind I went for that. I thought it looked warped and deformed in horizontal, but now it has really grow on me. It seems like the console is floating and I kinda dig the crazy design. You can also tell it's a quality piece of hardware, not Apple level of materials but it feels like the typical solid japanese product.

From a purely functional perspective I think it's probably among the best Playstations ever. The console is incredible with heat dissipation; the cooling solution is awesome, and as a result it performs in an ultra quiet manner. I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts long like the PSOne did.

I can't complain about the size when the console runs so well, which, at the end of the day, is what matters. It's a home console anyways, not a portable one.
Here it is standing in my living room & every day in my life I 'm asking same question.....WTF they smoked when they engineered this ugly looking console......

gothmog

Gold Member
I don't buy consoles for their looks so it's fine. That said this generation is big and ugly. At least they're silent for the most part.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
when I was young I imagined game consoles would someday look something like a macmini does today. A small metal box that’s sleek and elegant. Boy was I wrong! Lol we now have these cheap plastic monstrosities.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
It’s fine. I don’t sit and look at it. I play games on it and it works well, I don’t mind the design at all. I like the Series X also, both are totally fine.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not sure why someone should care about the design, while I still find it new and unique in a good way. I barely look at it since 2020 because it's not a a Da Vinci panting.

Top Bottom