• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that time has settled, what are your thoughts on the PS5 design?

Lone Wolf

It’s ugly, but I bought black D Brand plates and a black Dualsense and it’s much better. Also it’s vertical as horizontal is hideous.

PuffyCan

One of the ugliest console I own, and the stand is one the worst design I ever saw. Performance is good otherwise.

Crayon

Gotta say I thought the ps4 looked bad. A black box is not neccesarily tasteful and minimalist. Sometimes it's just a black box.

It’s so ugly I put it behind the TV so I never have to look at it. Everytime I see one in real life I’m like “Goddamn not only is that bitch fat but it’s ugly too. Pick a damn struggle”

Gamerguy84

I like the design but wish it came in black when I bought both mine. I don't wanna spend 50 for plates and don't want to paint mine.

Could've seen the color scheme coming though with the release of OG PSVR. I just like my electronics black. I just like black. My truck is black with black wheels and tint.

It's cool. Where's the poll?

I don’t like needing a stand. I also wish there were 2 USB-C ports in the front since the psvr2 takes the only one you got. I have to use a C to A adapter cable to use my earbuds with psvr2

lachesis

Too big. Design is okay at best, but hate the flimsy stand. A console should be able to put horizontal fashion in stable manner.

At the very least the design is unique, stands out, and recognizable.

A casual would know that it’s a ps5 when they see it. I don’t think many know that it’s a series x when they first see it…

As long as its quiet, I don't care how it looks or how big/small it is.

Not sounding like a jet engine during normal operation is a big + for me.

angrod14

At the very least the design is unique, stands out, and recognizable.

A casual would know that it’s a ps5 when they see it. I don’t think many know that it’s a series x when they first see it…
From a marketing perspective it's genius. It stands out and draws the attention of the customer. The brand is so huge that they can get away with pretty much any design they want.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

dd848e4e-deb2-4ceb-9016-019e2d81c3a9_text.gif

wipeout364

One of the ugliest systems ever released. I didn’t like it when it was revealed and like it even less sitting under my TV. Would love a redesign that looks more like PS4.

Arguably my least favorite console design ever...it does what I hate and "lets make a console look like a toy that stands out in your media center" but also is to big to fit in a media center. An engineering miracle of what not to do.

Crayon

I don’t like needing a stand. I also wish there were 2 USB-C ports in the front since the psvr2 takes the only one you got. I have to use a C to A adapter cable to use my earbuds with psvr2

I tossed mine soon as I pulled it out of the box. I'm using it vertical so whatever. It's bottom heavy and the plates sit flush. There is still a small amount of room underneath. No problems since launch.

G-Bus

Banned
Honestly don't care for the design and it's way too big.

Have it sitting horizontal on my table below the TV and it really stands out in not a great way. Prefer it vertical but I'm still worried my 1.7 year old is going to knock it over.

Have considered mounting it to my wall behind the TV.... Yes. This is the answer. Hide the monstrosity

I always thought it was pretty neat looking. It's definitely unique. That being said, I did buy some x-brand darkplates that got rid of the collar thing around the top and it looks even better now, like it should have looked like that from the start.

Pimpbaa

Way too big, white warped plates look ugly requiring that ridiculous stand in horizontal mode, and if we are including controllers than they are too bulky, the d-pad is near unusable (compared to the DS4) for fighting and retro games, and the battery life is unacceptable. But being able to use whatever SSD you want is a huge huge win for the PS5, plus the resistive triggers and haptic feedback of the controllers is neat.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Going based off looks and not anything else like size or fan noise, it doesn't look good especially in white.

But when you see pics of custom plates in black it looks much much better.

Fahdis

Here's my $800 Nuci7 - RTX 3070 PC in Comparison. The PS5 is a behemoth compared to this in comparison.

pCFuiQH.jpg

Bungie

Controller is nice but I never liked the position of the sticks personally. The console makes my Series X look even better due to the size of the PS5. If it was smaller and had different plate colors out of the box I'd like it alot more. Just bought the Starfield wrap for the X, so it's going to be hard to match that.

Killjoy-NL

I'm indifferent.

It is what it is. Not especially good-looking, not bad-looking either.

Got the Digital version with Camo covers, which make it less eye-catchy.

Last edited:

Gandih42

Initially I thought it was bold and ugly. Since getting one and having it horizontally under my TV, I actually think it is quite nice.

I like the Series X design more (sleek and simple), but the PS5 is more fun and risqué.

Last edited:
I like the looks of it.

I like that when I move it from one room to the next it feels solid.

I like the nose levels being almost silent.

Neff

Weird and crap and a nightmare to clean but I've gotten used to it. It's distinctive at least. Still the ugliest Japanese console ever designed.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What are people smoking. In what world this is ugly?! Thank god it’s not a boring box.

acm2000

I now have an X and PS5 in the house

X, sleek and subtle monolith that blends in easy and silent as a gnats farts.

PS5, hideous giant slab of gamer aesthetic white plastic, sticks out like sore thumb.

LRKD

I dare say the worst looking console I have ever seen. PS had some of the best consoles I had ever seen though. I loved the phat PS2 and PS3

It's huge and ugly, I hide it best I can. I like to show all my electronics and consoles but this one? No way. Easily one of the worst looking consoles of all time for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom