• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that time has settled, what are your thoughts on the PS5 design?

feynoob

Banned
Trash. You need to cover it up, otherwise it stands out.
I missed the old PlayStation designs.
This console is a tower PC. I am not kidding. It's fking huge.

Last edited:
I prefer it to be ugly than a fukin jet engine like the previous sony consoles, especially the PS4.

This thing is extremely quiet, only the disc drive makes some noise, but after that, no problems.

Withnail

It’s not great but I’ve got a Digital version behind my TV stand. I don’t see it and it’s quiet so I don’t hear it either 👍

salva

Too big and ugly. I'm day one for a black slim version with a new (and good) Twisted Metal.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
It's ugly. But I never see it unless I look at it, and I rarely ever have to look at it. So I'm not subjected to it's ugliness.

Vertical digital and horizontal disc looks great. I just wish the colors on the console were customizable. And it helps not living in a shoebox that size would affect anything.

It’s ridiculously oversized. I have mine standing next to my entertainment unit so I can’t really actually see the design, which is a benefit I guess. I agree they do look better with the black plates

AngelMuffin

Sexy Hot Girl GIF by Cappa Video Productions

Crayon

I didn't hate it the first time I saw it but I was kind of in shock. That lasted for a while. I'm used to if now and it looks really nice. My wife always liked the bold look. Ironically a space saver since it's so narrow.

Horizontal though, yeesh. I cannot get over how bad that looks. At best, it looks like it fell over.

faraany3k

Banned
Tbh i though it was too big and cumbersome as i only have horizontal orientation available in my TV console. But compared to my series X. It has personality and unique charm. Xbox is just too plain.

Reactions: K2D

K2D

Banned
Not ugly - gut reaction is that I like more than the PS2, PS3 and PS4.. which is unfair on PS5s part because there is nostalgia to draw from yet.

Biggest take away is that it's bolsterous, without having many mind blowing games to it's name..

BlackTron

Hate it, thoughts were settled on reveal. In fact I bought PS4 Pro and decided to wait for PS5 Pro/redesign after the design was revealed (before launch).

I had much, much higher expectations after PS4, base model is one of the better console designs ever. But they must be doing something right -the system sells like hotcakes, mass market seems to adore it, and it very successfully differentiates itself from the last generation making it seem "new" and "different". Even if it's just color and a plastic shell, I guess these are real marketing considerations that matter more than hardcore gamer coolness.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's fuckin' HUGE.

Looks almost twice as big standing next to the SX on my table.

Last edited:

Pejo

I like the aesthetic and the white faceplate on black console body but it's way too fat.

Also I can't play it because it sends both TVs I've tested it on into a never-ending TV reboot loop after being on and in a game for between 20 seconds to 5 minutes. Tried everything (cheap) to fix it including new HDMI cables, air-dusting the ports and vents etc, but it seems to just need a repair. I didn't play much on PS5 even when it was working though, certainly not enough to waste the money right now in getting it fixed.

WoodyStare

The black plates with a matte sticker over the glossy part of the digital console sitting vertically looks great. Not a fan of the way the disc version looks either way.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I don't hate it but it's really awkward and doesn't really fit in.

Not an issue though as I spend more time looking at the game I'm playing 😃

oji-san

Banned
I liked it from the get go and still am, I have the DE sitting horizontally and my setup is already white/gray/black so it fits up nicely and i had lot of space so no issue for this big boy.

Muffdraul

I think it's great, it saddens me that my current entertainment center setup forces me to have it horizontal in a cubby hole instead of standing tall and vertical.

Even though I like the curved look of the system, I'd like a ps5 with a flat top, so stuff could be set on it, like a controller while it's charging.
Also, the stand is absolute garbage. I take my ps5 to my gf's alot, and it's very easy for the ps5 to slide off the stand when you're putting it back on the tv stand.

Pantz

I don't care how big it is, the flaps look terrible. Just big hunks of curved plastic on either side. It can't be good for the environment when these things get retired, especially the extra flaps they sell separately.

Holammer

I don't own the current gen consoles, but I think it's butt fugly. The brutalist design of the Series X was the better choice.

I personally love the design and keep it horizontal. The interchangeable faceplates are a nice feature, which I hope get more colours and themes over time. After long gaming sessions it's nice not to hear any noticeable fan noise, unlike the PS4 Pro hovercraft.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

its shit, but it doesn't affect my life. I put black faceplates on it and stuck it in my entertainment unit and I don't really notice its there so who cares.

Last edited:
Top Bottom