• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that time has settled, what are your thoughts on the PS5 design?

angrod14

Initially I thought it looked great in vertical position; it felt fresh, different from anything we had before. After I purchased the console last year, I actually decided to put it horizontally, since a lot of hot air is expelled from the side (or the bottom where the stand goes in vertical), so just for the peace of mind I went for that. I thought it looked warped and deformed in horizontal, but now it has really grow on me. It seems like the console is floating and I kinda dig the crazy design. You can also tell it's a quality piece of hardware, not Apple level of materials but it feels like the typical solid japanese product.

From a purely functional perspective I think it's probably among the best Playstations ever. The console is incredible with heat dissipation; the cooling solution is awesome, and as a result it performs in an ultra quiet manner. I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts long like the PSOne did.

I can't complain about the size when the console runs so well, which, at the end of the day, is what matters. It's a home console anyways, not a portable one.

Last edited:

Moses85

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

Puscifer

It's unique for sure but I can't help but wish that stand and popped coller situation were rectified and mainly because the stand comes off as fixing a problem they created.

I also dislike the buttons for the disc model, I still get confused now which is bizarre. I mean honestly the entire disc model feels like an afterthought, like they felt comfortable enough to go all digital then they realized there's likely a hardcore portion of people like me that just prefer to have physical media that would go ape shit if it wasn't included so they jerryrigged the disc drive into the design later on.

If the slim model fixes these I'd be okay with it honestly

RoboFu

One of the green rats
My consoles are behind the tv and out of sight. Game console design went to crap after the 32bit era.

Solidus_T

The design has grown on me a bit. It's like a nice sculpture among all the other rectangular prism shaped electronics next to my screens, but it's just a little big in my opinion.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I love how sleek it looks, but i hate the damn plastic holder. it keeps coming off every time i pull it out to plug in vr stuff or change hdmi cables. it doesnt happen often but every few months i have to move it to a different room and the damn thing comes off every time i slide the ps5 back in.

simpatico

I think the size is a good idea just for cooling reasons. I don't care for the design aesthetics, but I'll take the tradeoff for cooling reasons. Both consoles have shown to be once again, under powered. I really think we're ready for $999 consoles next time around.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I love how sleek it looks, but i hate the damn plastic holder. it keeps coming off every time i pull it out to plug in vr stuff or change hdmi cables. it doesnt happen often but every few months i have to move it to a different room and the damn thing comes off every time i slide the ps5 back in.
Had the same issue and eventually cut about a 1/2 inch of double sided rug tape - DIY doctor Premium grip tape - to put on the holder ,which worked great until I needed to take the holder off a few months back, and it took a few minutes to get the tape's residue off the panel it had been stuck to. But still cut a new piece when I refitted the holder.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I love how it looks. I love that it’s silent and I love the ui. I don’t mind the size. It’s still way smaller than a pc… No. itx cases are not this quiet.
The glossy middle part is too easy to scratch. Way too easy.
Very good engineering. I love that it’s white and not just another box

Last edited:
Reactions: K2D

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Other than it's size I don't get the gate for it, Would be better if it looked like the digital but with a Disc Drive and about PS2 size

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
it’s awful. The thing is comically huge and has lots of wasted space with the vagina lips sticking out to the side + curved bottom that requires a stand just to sit horizontally. Ugliest and most impractical console I’ve owned

That said, I have a cell big enough for it in the entertainment system so it’s mostly hidden away. I feel sorry for those who have to stand it upright next to the TV like an ugly postmodernist statue

PaintTinJr

Initially I thought it looked great in vertical position; it felt fresh, different from anything we had before. After I purchased the console last year, I actually decided to put it horizontally, since a lot of hot air is expelled from the side (or the bottom where the stand goes in vertical), so just for the peace of mind I went for that. I thought it looked warped and deformed in horizontal, but now it has really grow on me. It seems like the console is floating and I kinda dig the crazy design. You can also tell it's a quality piece of hardware, not Apple level of materials but it feels like the typical solid japanese product.

From a purely functional perspective I think it's probably among the best Playstations ever. The console is incredible with heat dissipation; the cooling solution is awesome, and as a result it performs in an ultra quiet manner. I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts long like the PSOne did.

I can't complain about the size when the console runs so well, which, at the end of the day, is what matters. It's a home console anyways, not a portable one.
I think the design is great for what it houses in spite of the size, and good against the constraint of needing to be distinctly different to the best selling PS4 console, that they want all customers to replace with Ps5 by understanding a different new console is in the market.

Top Bottom