• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love my PS5, but this has to be the worst design ever produced

DaGwaphics

I'm hoping there is a slim model that is just more normal, I don't need my console to stand out this much. Last time the slim launched right around the time I was looking to pick one up, so, fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I had to buy a whole new cabinet for mines...it not that bad once you get a cabinet that doesnt make it look massive. But if it were roughly the same height as the XSX it would be a beautiful console.

263992937_332471724988714_5195335175620143869_n.jpg

D-Brand should design panels that make it look better when lying horizontally, ie: don't make it thin on the top (right side horizontally) and fat on the bottom (left). Give it a fat right side and a thin left sde.

reektann

Pro tip is put it behind the TV vertical if you can. The LG OLED have a really nice little nook that works perfectly.

Last edited:

MikeM

Love that my PS5 stands out relative to the rest of my rectangular boxes. The stand is kind of shit tho but whatever.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I had to buy a whole new cabinet for mines...it not that bad once you get a cabinet that doesnt make it look massive. But if it were roughly the same height as the XSX it would be a beautiful console.

263992937_332471724988714_5195335175620143869_n.jpg
They look good together imo. I dont think the xsx is particularly great looking either. The 360 was the best-designed ms console by far.

kyliethicc

The digital PS5 looks pretty sexy (cause its vertically symmetrical unlike the disc model.)

Now here's the hot take - Its designed to be stood up vertically. Don't use it horizontally. Not Sony's fault you picked the wrong orientation and move your console a lot. Its not a portable. They could have easily just designed it for only a vertical orientation. At least there is a horizontal orientation available. Its should be obvious to anyone by just looking at it that the vertical orientation is the way Sony intended it to be used, and thus choosing horizontal orientation is always gonna be a compromise. Its not like its hard to tell how its best setup. The stand screws into the PS5 in vertical orientation. Its footprint is reduced significantly. The lines flow better. The digital PS5 is symmetrical vertically. The PS logo in vertically oriented. And so on.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The xsx and s are compact AND quiet
That’s true, but different companies have different design teams.

Not even a negative but Sony don’t seem to be able to make something compact and quiet, so if I had to choose between big and quiet or compact and loud I’d definitely choose big and quiet.

Vognerful

I will say that the aesthetic of the machine was an afterthought.

In teardown videos, you can see that the machine layout of panels does not look different from any classic console. If I remember correctly DF called it PS3-like and I actually share the same thought that it's arrangement is no different than classic PS3.

But after the whole thing was built around it's boards, SSD, blue ray player, fans and internal case, it felt like they stood there and started thinking "ok, how can we make it look different and unique?"

Tl;Dr: PS5 aesthetic or design follow function over form excluding the white plates.

Also, no matter what color you choose , it it still ugly.

Yep it's an enormous white router with a tumor and placing it horizontal is shit. I will sell it asap for a good slim revision lol.

Zero7

I like the flush look if the Digital version much more, but I value physical media above all else.

I'll be trading in my disc console the day a slim model comes out.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Did you hear that OP? You aren’t allowed to critique the design of PS5 until they are widely available, and everyone who wants one can get one. Please be more sensitive.

I declare this thread null and void. Your criticism has been stricken from the record.

Good, I'm glad you understand. The world needs more people like you.

BigLee74

There is no denying it looks awful, and is one of the main reasons I won’t consider buying one until there is a redesign. Well that, and the fact that you can’t get one for love nor money regardless.

I was thinking of doing the same with mine behind the 65C7, but don't you find that the air is hotter back there versus putting in the front (off the side) of the TV instead?

a little bit, but my TV is caddy cornered, so there’s a big chunk of space back there, probably helps, if it was horizontal with a wall I wouldn’t recommend it.

Sony did not play it safe at all. As much as I like the PS4’s design. It was a super safe “monolith”.

I like this Sony. The PS5 design shouldnt work. Many will say it doesnt. I think it does, but I have the digital edition.

I asume the revision is just going to be the the elimination of the digital edition, and the disc edition will take the shape of the former. With the disc slot right in the middle.

Erdrick

Aside from the PS1, PS4 and *maybe* the launch PS3, I've not been a fan of the designs overall of the Playstation hardware. PS5 mostly because it just lacks... balance? (Literally, I guess as well as visually, given it needs a stand to be steady.)

However as long as the thing has stuff worth playing on it, I can tolerate ugly aesthetics.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I actually give credit on Sonys design of the PS5, it fits in, it plays into the unique stand out game, it deserves good looking. Listen, the Switch design isn’t good, it confuses gamers. I thought the PS5 could go a lot of ways I didn’t think it would require a stand I really like the white panels. I don’t know if it will be appreciated like the PS2.

Thats the only reason why I think they went with the design, its a kind of a "any news is good" where they knew a lot of people would hate it but that was kinda of the point, the more controversial the design the more people are going to talk about it and it would get higher overall social media metrics.
The seriesX I think also did this but they did not sacrifice asthetics , the seriesX is still very different and a talking point, but it also doesn't look silly, unlike the PS5.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
There's no saving it. It's beyond hilarious even a year after launch. Sometimes your eyes can learn to appreciate something ugly over time, but this is on a whole other level!

Mr Hyde

I have mine vertical. I think it looks great that way. But I agree with the design when put horizontal, it's bulky and ugly. And it doesn't fit anywhere.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yea, the PS5 is ugly as sin, straight up.

XBSX looks kind of silly but it's also pretty cool. It would also fit in nicely on an entertainment stand space wise, the PS5 is fucking massive beyond belief.

It is what it is, I plan on getting one at some point but yea, the console is ugly as shit IMO.

Calverz

Yep, PS4 Pro is awful. The wedge design at the back hides all the connectors so you have to tip it forward to see what's what but then any usb cable in the front gets bent up. The power and eject buttons are so hidden away you can't tell if you're pressing a button or just pressing the trim and you have to put the main light on to see which is which.

Also the start button on the pad is really vague.

Terrible design.
100% this

Top Bottom