• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP "software timebomb" disables 3rd party ink cartirdges

Status
Not open for further replies.
For people who still need to print in color buy ink-jet printer with original ink tank from factory.
You can refill ink with first party ink which has similar price as 3rd party ink.

pdRktp2mvIAIvEOWiKzPQA57WEolGE3yonWRWd3h0FPBTAhRhKurfyc-SCvsoc1NB9KwJc_mdO8598Z1fGgBdCYVsRojrPsoHgoL8REuTXIX-Ite4mfcuS4jquymgb-fAJoCLQIy_pnzPCPh8JTMIgJcr2akwXzt-yWrwuNTpkfk1B5tnjpc13TPuK94k1_GvT9R5rP6z9bCPN4WZ-YBJsnJ0vWniTHfkKPzy3h4rzo1dgijoFPLgTLqj12pbEAhqDfiwzjXTJKF6ZO7QkDHxpMsA_QBscJrMuHWAIj0TiQmJuPRuLZCMTQIFOV3xCCXni2vrvKLIYf4qe9GVWSeyWSaoCgqtKp3acfo5MB9MOpSjww3dpW97bH1_uzTMKl5wsHhWTNjmE6jOwrcXL0iXRPT7_ulzccFEc0bxFYFwtZ1iq079zm1jsm9nCXnKWKRRcLEukhLXcFGSDLWK7yJbWHpmXDwbzJ6eH6J18OfWW6qZsMtW_nBdkyLUyVRFowapX1N2rHkMgyDgF4ST1h31sqk0iw8pDRTVfZWB6TuwpsSYZUsdXG0WnnLgd0QQ2QxXaEc=w797-h666-no

Thanks, I'll have to look into this. There's a lot of stuff I want to print in color, but I hate paying for the cartridge.

big_z

Likely just a chip in there that says it's printed this amount of ink and it's now done. You could try to refill it but unless that chip resets somehow you're still boned. It's not like it's detecting you putting a hole in the side or something.

dunno the hp we have does the bullshit out of ink routine and I just pull the power when the cart is mid print, pull the cart out and pop it back in then restart the printer and it thinks is new again.

dunno the hp we have does the bullshit out of ink routine and I just pull the power when the cart is mid print, pull the cart out and pop it back in then restart the printer and it thinks is new again.
Hah, that's awesome, I'd laugh my ass off if this is a viable workaround (reminds me of the marker on CDs DRM bypass back in the day). Like maybe the unexpected power cycling doesn't give the chip in the cartridge the opportunity to save its state, so it just resets or something. :D

Patrick S.

Banned
Likely just a chip in there that says it's printed this amount of ink and it's now done. You could try to refill it but unless that chip resets somehow you're still boned. It's not like it's detecting you putting a hole in the side or something.

Oh, that makes sense. Someone mentioned a refill place offering to change a chip of some sort higher up in the thread. Wow, you have to hack your own printer now. My printer is an inkjet HP, I guess I have printed maybe 150 or 200 pages with it over the years I've had it, but I have already spent like €200 on ink because it always dries up or leaks. The printer makes noises when the head moves from side to side because the grease in it must have dried. I put in no-name ink and it doesn't work. Never HP again.

Mupod

as someone who deals with Xerox printers on a daily basis, on the one hand printers are insanely complex machines and they have to make money somewhere. On the other hand toner/ink cartridges and replacement parts are the most slimy shit. A perfectly functional part or half-full cartridge will cease working as soon as it reaches an arbitrary number of prints based on the chip in it.

When I first started here the company was buying toner cartridges from a guy who was selling us 'genuine' high capacity Xerox cartridges and he was swapping out the chips for normal capacity cartridges. I guess he didn't realize that I was monitoring the page counts and immediately cut that company off once I found out.

noface

The business world and the consumer world are two very different things. I dont know any company, even small businesses, who doesnt rent their printers anymore. Even the large company I work at now has a service contract with canon and actually pays to have canon staffers run our print shop. All of our printers are on contract. No one thinks about ink at all, as its all built in to the per page cost of printing. When I worked at a small agency, we still had a service contract on the printers, something like .03 black and white, .05 color per color page (not sure on the exact detail)

Point is I could never imagine a business client complaining about not being able to use unofficial ink, everyone is too busy to be worrying about what ink is going into the machines.

That is exactly why I think someone said "let's get more money from the private customers" and they willingly took the risk to alienate a lot of people because most of the profit comes from the business side.

Downhome

I worked with ink and toner for almost seven years, ending in 2014. This sort of thing actually lead to the small local business I worked for ending up closing down for good.

This is nothing. If you think this is bad then look into the Lexmark printers from a few years back. They had it set to where if you EVER used a refilled cart or a compatible it flat out permanently disabled the entire printer from working period. I do believe they were sued over that one, and lost.

I just use HP Instant Ink. I pay $5 a month to print 100 pages and what I don't use rolls over into the next month (up to 100 total). They also offer $3 a month for 50 pages and $10 a month for 300. The printer auto-orders more ink when I run low and all I have to do is send the old cartridges back in a prepaid envelope after the new ones come in. A page is a page and it doesn't matter what I print.
Wow, that is an offensively terrible value.

Downhome

Wow, that is an offensively terrible value.

Yeah really. That entire program is one of the biggest scams that any of the printer companies have ever come up with, and it's wrapped up all nice and pretty with a big fat bow to make people think they are getting a great deal.

If more people knew how all of this worked, the actual costs involved, the public would be outraged.

Vlaphor

How is it a terrible program? $60 a year for 1200 pages, plus ink is sent to you automatically before you run out with no additional costs.

Patrick S.

Banned
How is it a terrible program? $60 a year for 1200 pages, plus ink is sent to you automatically before you run out with no additional costs.

1200 pages is less than two and a half packs of paper.

With the Brother laser we have at work, we use up a 500 sheet pack every two to four days or so, and the last toner we bought lasted almost a whole year.

Airan

To those switching/switched to Brother, have you ended up with Brother Laser printers? Did you ever consider a HP laser printer?

I'm curious if it's just inkjets that are the problem. What benefits do they provide that a color laser printer doesn't?

Obi

Neo Member
For people who still need to print in color buy ink-jet printer with original ink tank from factory.
You can refill ink with first party ink which has similar price as 3rd party ink.

pdRktp2mvIAIvEOWiKzPQA57WEolGE3yonWRWd3h0FPBTAhRhKurfyc-SCvsoc1NB9KwJc_mdO8598Z1fGgBdCYVsRojrPsoHgoL8REuTXIX-Ite4mfcuS4jquymgb-fAJoCLQIy_pnzPCPh8JTMIgJcr2akwXzt-yWrwuNTpkfk1B5tnjpc13TPuK94k1_GvT9R5rP6z9bCPN4WZ-YBJsnJ0vWniTHfkKPzy3h4rzo1dgijoFPLgTLqj12pbEAhqDfiwzjXTJKF6ZO7QkDHxpMsA_QBscJrMuHWAIj0TiQmJuPRuLZCMTQIFOV3xCCXni2vrvKLIYf4qe9GVWSeyWSaoCgqtKp3acfo5MB9MOpSjww3dpW97bH1_uzTMKl5wsHhWTNjmE6jOwrcXL0iXRPT7_ulzccFEc0bxFYFwtZ1iq079zm1jsm9nCXnKWKRRcLEukhLXcFGSDLWK7yJbWHpmXDwbzJ6eH6J18OfWW6qZsMtW_nBdkyLUyVRFowapX1N2rHkMgyDgF4ST1h31sqk0iw8pDRTVfZWB6TuwpsSYZUsdXG0WnnLgd0QQ2QxXaEc=w797-h666-no

Can you even get this in the US? The only places I can find that sell it are like in India and Russia.

John Blade

Is that the DCP 7065DN? High Five! I have the same one!

*Bro fist* A very good printer and got it for 2+ years and still working fine. The last time I check, I have already print 3000+ pages of stuff and on my 4th toners and still working without any major issue. I notice they have the similar printer like mine but with color touch screen but don't really see a good reason with it.

To those switching/switched to Brother, have you ended up with Brother Laser printers? Did you ever consider a HP laser printer?

I'm curious if it's just inkjets that are the problem. What benefits do they provide that a color laser printer doesn't?

I switch to the Brother Laser printers after using the Lexmark printer for a very long time (almost 10 years). The one I got is so old and it's those inkjet which dry out if you never use it. My dad eventually change it for the Samsung and seeing how it work, I just fuck it and bought myself a brother laser printer as the Samsung one will be destroy from the amount of stuff I have to print. Like I say before, it come down to if you either print B/W document or photo. If majority of stuff you print is doc which is B/W, I will go to Laser printer. I can't say about the HP one but hearing horror story in the inkjet and also my bad experience with HP customer service, I decide to stick with Brother mostly because I have using them from my work for 2 years at the time I want to get a new printer.

TheChamp

I guess im lucky because I still have the HP installed from my disc 18 months ago and have refused all updates since then for a some weird reason

cyress8

Banned
Man, you guys are really about to make me buy a Brother printer. I have 2 different printers right now. A Ricoh which works pretty well and an Epson, that gives me fits everytime I just look at it. Tried using aftermarket catridges in the Epson and the thing just acts wonky randomly if I don't reboot the thing weekly. The thing also won't update it's firmware with the aftermarket cartridges.

I don't do refills because I have yet to encounter an HP printer that didn't have significant problems after a year. Cheaper to just buy a new $50 printer every christmas and move on. Have to buy an ink cartridge every now and then but they just really are of questionable build quality. :/

I rarely print anything anymore. I don't even own a printer, just do all my printing at work if I have to. It's news like this that makes me feel like I shouldn't hurry up and get s printer anytime soon.

Dai101

Banned
We use shit loads of HP laserjets here in work and they are pretty reliable. Just to offer a counterpoint. When they last they last for ages.

This driver thing is complete bollox though. I use Linux it probably wont effect me.

Business grade Laserjet is top notch. They're severely falling behind in the consumer level tho'

That's pesos, right? $60 USD for 1200 is a damn joke.

Ink cartridge DRM... What a time to be alive!

You must be new on this, since this has been an issue since day one on the printing world.

Vlaphor

1200 pages is less than two and a half packs of paper.

With the Brother laser we have at work, we use up a 500 sheet pack every two to four days or so, and the last toner we bought lasted almost a whole year.

Here's the thing though. I'm a home user. I print out exercise instructions for the day as well as a few other sheets here and there. I got the printer on sale for $100 and it does everything I want incredibly well, and I've yet to have a time where I've been unable to print what I've wanted.

Now yes, a color laser printer AIO would be more efficient in cost per page...but you still have to consider the large initial startup cost, which would be around $200-$300 for the printer and another $300-$400 for a full set of toner cartridges.

I always thought this was the case but now I see it's true. Fuck HP and their horrible inkjet printers. Laser >>>>>>>>>>>>> ink any day of the week.

I love my Brother MFC-7840. Workhorse all-in-one machine that is extremely reliable. Only had to buy 2 toners (between $30-$35 every few years) since owning it and it's all set. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

Yo, HP's are swarmy as hell. I worked with a lot of client's and troubleshoot so many printers and a lot of them are HPs. I once found out the brand new printer a client wanted you had to use the "sample carts" for some reason otherwise it won't detect and charge the ink proper, you couldn't just use new separate ink carts for some reason. So many ink carts would dry up or coincidentally just print blank pages for no reason even after you change the ink.

I would too like to pile dive on the Brother laserjet suggestion. I finally got one this year in the summer, relatively inexpensive model doesn't have a scanner for about $90 and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. The amount of money I've spent replacing ink carts on my old inkjet (I've had it for over 5 years, not even wireless) just because it worked is the trap. It works, why get another printer? $40-50 ink carts every time.

I'm printed a ton of stuff already, and I'm still on the toner cartridge the Brother came with, I would have replaced my old ink cards twice already at this point. Printer already paid for itself. Now I just used my inkjet in the rare cases I actually need color prints or just a big scanner.

Javaman

How do the brother color lasers stack up on price per page? I absolutely need to have color for the kids school projects.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Pretty good deal on this Brother all-in-one monochrome laser in Canada:
http://www.brother.ca/en-CA/MFC/5/ProductDetail/MFCL2720DW
$180 with free shipping ($150 off)

Part of a back-to-school sale they have going until Sep 30.
Here are the rest. Lots of cheaper ones too if you don't want the document feeder.
http://promo.brother.ca/en/back-to-school-2016/home/

I went with this one - $50 more but the double-sided scan+copy might come in handy sometime:
http://www.brother.ca/en-CA/MFC/5/ProductDetail/MFCL2740DW
It was only 10 bucks to upgrade to express shipping too.

I have the higher-number version of this (with ADF) and with the price (and volume) of ink in the tank it's indeed economical for printing although I was extremely disappointed with the color print quality. All Brother inkjets I've ever tried suffer from pale, anemic colors when printing on "normal". It only improves when you print in "Best" quality and that takes forever to come out. Aside from that there's something janky going in with the scanner as I keep getting an unwanted line. Scanner (and other printing) software is lacking and is frustrating me as I cannot use the entire area of the scanner panel (documents can only be scanned in a standard paper size that you have to choose in advance). The ADF isn't also as useful as I hoped as half the time the printer is too dumb to realize I put a doc in there.

But then, it is cheap and does deliver on its purpose of volume inkjet-printing, especially for B&W. But when you look closely at the printer as a whole, it's filled with jank.

I'm biased because I actually worked at an Epson factory, but Epson blows Brother out of the water in terms of actual printing quality. I never had to use the "best" setting because Normal was already incredibly good. And in general the printers were pretty well-made. With Epson I never had scanner issues, documentation was complete and straightforward, and the software that came with the printer worked pretty well.

shira

Pretty good deal on this Brother all-in-one monochrome laser in Canada:
http://www.brother.ca/en-CA/MFC/5/ProductDetail/MFCL2720DW
$180 with free shipping ($150 off)

Part of a back-to-school sale they have going until Sep 30.
Here are the rest. Lots of cheaper ones too if you don't want the document feeder.
http://promo.brother.ca/en/back-to-school-2016/home/

I went with this one - $50 more but the double-sided scan+copy might come in handy sometime:
http://www.brother.ca/en-CA/MFC/5/ProductDetail/MFCL2740DW
It was only 10 bucks to upgrade to express shipping too.

Is laser cheaper in the longrun now? Parents want to know what is the better value now that they can't refill inkjet

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Is laser cheaper in the longrun now? Parents want to know what is the better value now that they can't refill inkjet

Massively cheaper. The 1000 page "starter" toner included with the one I got would have been enough to cover everything I printed in university. I'd check out the one they have for $80 there.

CTLance

I recently had a new office printer install at a client, which crapped out with a random error not even a week afterwards. Said error didn't show up on the website as anything special (led to the generic printer head cleaning FAQ page that seems to constitute like 99% of that site) - until I happened upon the product page by accident, where they offered a no-questions-asked replacement in a small rather hidden CSS popup, which in turn led me to a web form that wouldn't work in anything but friggen IE, which also didn't notify the provided email address about shipping or the general proceedings or fucking anything dammit, which resulted in the new printer being delivered on a weekend and dropped off at a neighbouring office because their cleaning lady signed for it. The free shipping back was only free within five days after delivery of the replacement part, which combined with the wrong delivery and my busy schedule resulted in me having to bend over backwards to wedge that in. Then I had one hell of a time battling the service gal at the shipping hotline just to get pickup of the old machine sorted. No timetable for that was given, and although my client had staff on site the entire day the driver never showed up, resulting in an entire afternoon of back and forth with the two hotlines in a conference call until I finally got HP and the shipping company to commit to a new date and even a rough time frame (9 am to 3 pm). The driver showed up somewhen in the afternoon if my client is to be believed. But hey they got a free stack of photo paper. Yay.

Oh yeah, and the replacement wouldn't turn on with the old retail ink carts, requiring the installation of the pack-in "five drops of ink" carts. It also randomly decided it didn't want to talk to one of the network PCs without a complete driver reinstall on that machine. It also takes ages to get ready to print, so I'm half expecting to re-do the electric boogaloo soon.

Also, the thing is controlled by using a seriously tiny touchscreen. Whoever thought of that one needs to be burned at the stake. The office staff at that client can't handle UIs that involve scrolling, "deep" menus and onscreen buttons that can easily be misclicked. FML. Just put a copy, fax and scan button plus a numpad on that thing dammit. Wish I would have been asked for input before the purchase.

Another one was awesome. It filled up with ink on the inside, admittedly over the course of several years. When it finally crapped out with a random print head related error (surprise!) that couldn't be resolved by a thorough cleaning and buying a 65€ replacement print head from HP it was decided it'd be kicked out in favour of a Laser printer. When I removed it from its throne atop an expensive office storage cabinet for the initial cleaning I found out the sludge had seeped out and dripped down the back, covering the wall and the backside of the cabinet. The staff had noticed the printer had been rather thirsty, and yes, there was the occasional botched printout, but hey, expenses like ink are paid by HQ, HQ is in another country, and lol tech is hard, so who cares.

Seriously, fuck HP. Brother all day e'rry day for me. They put out the occasional lemon as well, but when they work they goddamn work.

So I just bought some Target brand HP ink refills since my ink just ran out. Should I even bother opening it or just return it? Dunno if they'd accept it if I've already opened it and tried it.

Dai101

Banned
So I just bought some Target brand HP ink refills since my ink just ran out. Should I even bother opening it or just return it? Dunno if they'd accept it if I've already opened it and tried it.

AFAIK original ink kits don't. Generic ones usually yes. At least where i'm from (MX) usually goes this way.

Izayoi

Banned
Well, that fucking sucks. It explains why when I went to print my resume the other day that suddenly my ink cartridges were in need of replacement.

That's the last HP product I'll ever buy. Anyone know a good place to offload old electronics?

NH Apache

Banned
Well, that fucking sucks. It explains why when I went to print my resume the other day that suddenly my ink cartridges were in need of replacement.

That's the last HP product I'll ever buy. Anyone know a good place to offload old electronics?

Best Buy will give you 3 and a half pennies for your electronic products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom