• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The State of PlayStation Studios With SIE acquiring Bungie and more, let's take another look at the state of Sony's first-party studios (IGN)

Yoboman

Just read through the article

Has about as much insight as a forum post

You'd think journalists would be able to get some new information or industry rumours surrounding these studios

SSfox

My favorite Sony studios are Santa Monica and Polyphony Digital. Sucker Punch is on top now, and Housemarque as well.

I loved Days Gone, but dunno what Bend futute is leading to, time will tell.

Osobo are super talented on what they do, like Nintendo Mario/Kirby type of games, even tho it's not my favorite genre but it's great to have a studio like this.

Insomniacs and Naughty Dog used to be some of my favorites, but ND has lost their magic, and Insomniacs is turning into a Marvel game studio.

What we can notice here is the heavy lack of Japanese studios on Sony, and it doesn't seem Sony is doing anything to improve this...

Last edited:

SSfox

Bungie( The new “Sony Online Entertainment”) isn’t a Playstation Studio.

They fall under Sony Interactive Entertainment. They can possibly release a game that isn’t even on Playstation. And might make deals that are more advantageous to them, than Playstation. In Sony’s eyes they want to grow them to be as big as Playstation. It’s a sister publishing arm.

I doubt Bungie will ever do deals that will advantage others more than playstation, if that ever happened just imagine how bad Sony will look, it's already bad enough for them that Bungie will keep release their games multi since they bought the studio.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
They sound pretty solid and most of them are working on something which is great for ROI. Hoping they bring great, new experiences to the platform(s) they release on.

KojiPro and Bend Metal Gear
KojiPro and Bokeh Silent Hill
From Castlevania
Housemarque Contra and Gradius
Naughty Dog Frogger
San Diego PES and Track & Field
London DDR
Asobi Bomberman
Santta Monica Yie Ar Kung Fu and Crime Fighters
Insomniac Sunset Riders
Guerrilla Adventure Island
Media Molecule Twin Bee and Bishi Bashi
Polyphony GTI Club

But well, I don't see Sony buying Konami or its IPs.

Metal Gear, Castlevania, and Silent Hill would really shine and fly high as Playstation Studios IPs.

My favorite Sony studios are Santa Monica and Polyphony Digital. Sucker Punch is on top now, and Housemarque as well.

I loved Days Gone, but dunno what Bend futute is leading to, time will tell.

Osobo are super talented on what they do, like Nintendo Mario/Kirby type of games, even tho it's not my favorite genre but it's great to have a studio like this.

Insomniacs and Naughty Dog used to be some of my favorites, but ND has lost their magic, and Insomniacs is turning into a Marvel game studio.

What we can notice here is the heavy lack of Japanese studios on Sony, and it doesn't seem Sony is doing anything to improve this...
Last time we thought that we got TLOU. If there is one dev that has earned som patience its them.

yurinka

I doubt Bungie will ever do deals that will advantage others more than playstation, if that ever happened just imagine how bad Sony will look, it's already bad enough for them that Bungie will keep release their games multi since they bought the studio.
Yes. It's a fantasy, won't happen. Jimbo is their boss now and is being too generous with everyone allowing them to continue full multi.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I worry about Jim Ryan and the leadership chasing trends....

By the time you pivot and organization to have a focus on live-service games or subscriptions or cloud, the trend has already likely peaks and will only drop off.
The best thing is to chart your own course and set your own trends.... as they did with cinematic games.

I don't like seeing PlayStation trying to do their best imitation of Epic games or MSFT or..... whover in the mobile space.

They should be looking at their catalog and thinking of titles and genres that they have nothing BUT that they do have the capability and audience for...

Arc System Works to make a Marvel fighting game that can bring some of the Spider-man and Wolverine audiences in.

A successor to PS Home, expanded... houses you can buy or earn, link into trophy level for unlocking more impressive homes and clothes etc and encourage trophy hunting.

From soft.... they need an RPG studio and PlayStation set them on the course they are on by commissioning Demons Souls, bout time to make them part of PS.

Konami IP's...... MGS remakes or MGS Babel style alternate reality. Many possibilities but the talent needs to be there to make it feel like MGS.

PES.... should get the MLB style treatment and have a 'Fifa street' version 5v5.

Bomberman party games, could be managed by Team Asobi.

Silent Hill, ZOE etc (Lower sales potential IP's)

I feel like PC ports are really taking the focus away from the console push, Horizon ZD didn't launch with as many issues as HFW..... and staff were diverted to make patches for the PC port from GG.
100% of resources should be put behind console and console games. Sony only have 1 platform and that is not PC or anything else...... just console.

They killed Vita when it sold probably 20 million..... but 1 million sales of Horizon on PC is somehow a great success???? Someone is defending and doubling down on their bad ideas.
PlayStation didn't need to put exclusives on PC during PS2 when they hit 155 million consoles sold and likewise during PS3 when they were at their lowest, they didn't need to put games on PC....
Nintendo is the same situation.... never needed PC, they always put 100% behind their own hardware. That is how it should be.

Top Bottom