• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP CEO claims consumers will get a virus if they use third-party ink cartridges

winjer

Gold Member

Even with a case filed against the company for blocking third-party inks using its Dynamic Security updates a few days ago, HP is adamant about doing what it can to maintain a monopoly in its refillable ink cartridges for its printers. While this isn't a new practice from HP, it continues to push forward with consumer-unfriendly tactics, from bricking printers to the latest: claiming that third-party ink cartridges can be used to infect users' PCs with viruses.

In an interview with CNBC, HP Inc. CEO Enrique Lores said, "We have seen that you can embed viruses in the cartridges. Through the cartridge, the virus can go to the printer, and then from the printer, go to the network."

The level of BS from this guy is stunning.

The Wire Bullshit GIF by Giphy QA

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The only way this could at all be true is precisely because HP adds a bunch of chips to their cartridges that communicate with something to block you using third party ink.

So either he is talking complete bullshit - most likely
Or
He is admitting that they have introduced systems that have the sole purpose of restricting your choice of ink suppliers and in doing so have introduced a critical flaw that only exists because of this self serving system

T4keD0wN

Good thing i have McAfee Antivirus. Check Mate mr. HP.

Reminds me of this guy:
Clown Conancon2019 GIF by Team Coco

Last edited:

The Stig

The only way this could at all be true is precisely because HP adds a bunch of chips to their cartridges that communicate with something to block you using third party ink.

So either he is talking complete bullshit - most likely
Or
He is admitting that they have introduced systems that have the sole purpose of restricting your choice of ink suppliers and in doing so have introduced a critical flaw that only exists because of this self serving system
100%

Slimy shit either way.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Had an epson printer long time ago. It used up so much ink so fast I got rid of it. CSR even helped me when I called by sending me a brand new printer which I returned for half the store credit. The store manager gave me a break like a year after and took back this brand new sealed box for 50%.

HP printer was way better.

Then I got a Brother all in one print/fax/scan and been humming fine for 10 years. I hardly ever use it, but I just buy from Amazon clone ink cartridges. A 10 pack of various colours costs $20. They are shit and dry up, but at $20 who cares. The first batch lasted like 7 or 8 years.

Last edited:

Maestr0

Is anyone have like the epson ecotank or the canon pixma, is it finally one way to not feel scammed anymore, or is there a catch ?

Mistake

I must admit, sometimes I think about breaking into networks to find printers, so people think they have an offensive ghost

Last edited:
Is anyone have like the epson ecotank or the canon pixma, is it finally one way to not feel scammed anymore, or is there a catch ?
Yeah I have installed some at work. They work well and ink is cheap. Mainly used the companies own ink but have used third party at times.

Only downside so far is they are a little slow printing, especially with colour.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

If you buy ecotank, be sure its one of the newest ones with user replaceable inkpad. Some of the older gen required you to send it to a certified hp technician to replace the part. Just read the manual, the procedure and part number should be there.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Truth be told, we have two HP laser printers in the office (not by choice) and when they work, they shit on Brother from a high place.
Printing is good quality and lightning fast. By the time my own Brother has warmed up and started printing the first page, the HPs have churned out several. The base models are relatively cheap in a market where printer prices have skyrocketed, too.

BUT:
- gotta use proprietary toners. We tried chip swapping, no luck there.
- the most readily available models require an HP account to even work.

I miss Samsung printers.

thefool

Truth be told, we have two HP laser printers in the office (not by choice) and when they work, they shit on Brother from a high place.
Printing is good quality and lightning fast. By the time my own Brother has warmed up and started printing the first page, the HPs have churned out several. The base models are relatively cheap in a market where printer prices have skyrocketed, too.

BUT:
- gotta use proprietary toners. We tried chip swapping, no luck there.
- the most readily available models require an HP account to even work.

I miss Samsung printers.

High end enterprise-grade HP printers are pretty decent too.
They do have some weird mechanical issues but they tend to be easily fixable. Costs i'm not entirely sure.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
And if you masturbate, your dick falls off

I can believe it.

Chuck Negron, lead singer of Three Dog Night, banged so many women in such a short period of time that his dick split. Literally split down the middle.

True story.

Sounds like he's half-bullshitting.

Its not uncommon for weakened security in printer devices, such as spoolers, to be exploited and lead to cyber attacks. It happened with the National bank of Bangladesh.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I have a simple USB only non-network brother laser printer. It works like a gem. You can shove your HP printer up your ass.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Lasers are workhorses. Long ago (I’m talking 2 decades ago it was like my first job) i got a job working from home and as part of the job I had to generate a lot of reports, assorted documents, letters, contracts and mail it to people. They sent me a crappy ink printer to do the job. I said fuck it and with the first paycheck I bought a laser, which back then were somewhat expensive. That fucker was the god of printing I’m talking thousands of pages without a single beep, with perfect defect free typeface every single page. I printed normal sized paper, I made my own corporate envelopes, etc. I’m talking multiple libraries worth of paper.

Once I moved to greener pastures I kept it as my personal printer until it gave up 10 years later. What a boss.

xrnzaaas

People who buy HP, Epson or Canon printers usually only get scammed once and learn a valuable lesson. The rest will just google the recommendations and buy a Brother printer.

Pejo

I remember reading that if you are on the HP ink subscription plan and cancel, they will deactivate the current ink wells in your printer so you can't finish them off. I can't verify but that sounds just crazy enough to be true from HP.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As for you guys recoing Brother I agree.

Brother > HP >>> Epson

Never tried a Canon, and my Epson experience was long time. I dont know how good all that Shaq giant ink bottle printers are. All I know googling the prices on Best Buy, these ecotanks arent cheap for an inkjet printer. So looks like they are trying to make good margin on the hardware itself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom