• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP "software timebomb" disables 3rd party ink cartirdges

Status
Not open for further replies.

U2NUMB

Just like keurig I would LOVE to have footage and audio of the meetings that led up to these types of choices. In 2016 how the hell do you think this sort of thing is going to play? And in the printing world it's not like people do not have another choice!!

How long before an update "Fixes" the glitch.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Jesus, did the Brother marketing department just open GAF accounts?

Hate to be one of those guys, but the Brothers I use now are night and day over the HP printers I've used.

I bought one color HP printer that would only print B&W.
I bought one that lasted a week before it broke. Then I have to RMA it and that one broke in a week as well. HP just sent me a completely different printer after that, which also broke.

In fact, no HP product I've ever bought worked out of the box properly.

zelas

Cant help that Brother printers have been better products at home and on the job. For years we always use to have laser printer issues at my job. We swapped out 3 units for Brother printers and things have working great. We even still have an old 90s xerox copier running that has always been more reliable than all of our HP Laserjets.

John Blade

It's not that. It's just that Brother don't fuck around with their laser printer for the business line based on what the consumer want which is a very good printer which get the work done and also have some add on which is useful when we need it. Also, the ink cost isn't going to break the bank if you find them in bulk like mine. I guess if you do color print, then I don't know if Brother is good for you but for everyone who do B/W print, it's the best you can choose without something stupid which make you piss when you try to print stuff.

ElyrionX

I hated printers and printer companies before, but this is on another level of annoying.

How is using someone elses (usually cheaper) printer cartridges in your printer protecting your IP? All you're doing is screwing over customers even more than you've tried to.

It doesn't help as well that half the time it's cheaper to buy an entirely new printer than it is to refill the ink if it's a desktop one.

Ummm you said it yourself. The business model relies on selling expensive refills to be profitable which is why they sell the printers so cheap. There isn't much IP in ink but there definitely is IP in the printer and you are getting that IP cheaper than you otherwise would have.

StoneFox

One of my jobs at work is to refill ink cartridges, and we have to refuse 3rd party cartridges for this exact reason because corporate hates a high refund rate for when customers complain they don't work after a refill. We've even had to stop filling HP 940s because of their high fail rate.

People get pissed sometimes, but in my experience printer firmware is rubbish even if you use first party hardware. Meh.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm so out of the printer loop. We have a brother at work and it's great, but I really hadn't heard of them before we got ours. Now, after all this HP mess, anytime I need a new printer i'm going Brother.

In the past, I've owned HP printers. But that's not happening again after this, even if they do fix it. Gotta have strong principles on issues like this.

Zatoth

Recently sold my HP ink printer and switched to a Brother laser. Glad I read so much positive feedback for Brother here.

Breads

Banned
Okay so CFW or new printer it is. I used to spend $70 every few months (years ago) on new cartridges and now I pay roughly 10% that price on the refill service I currently use.

Huh, had my HP printer for a decade now but I guess I'll get a Hulk Hogan certified printer once this one dies. $70 for some ink is a rip-off and it seems that the copper/sleeve/whatever dies out faster than the ink runs out.

Tommy DJ

Old HP, before Carly Fiorina's hard-on for shit cheap consumer electronics and the spinning off of Agilent, produced some amazingly good work products. At work, we're still using their HP 35s and their old plotters for much of our black and white work because they refuse to die.

Just like keurig I would LOVE to have footage and audio of the meetings that led up to these types of choices. In 2016 how the hell do you think this sort of thing is going to play? And in the printing world it's not like people do not have another choice!!

How long before an update "Fixes" the glitch.

Its modern day HP. Literally every piece of consumer grade product they manufacture is designed to either break after the warranty period (buttons on the majority of their calculators, every consumer HP Pavilion laptop that exists, printers) or bleed you of money (printers). This has been HP's consumer electronics strategy for over a decade. They have such a huge presence in retail, business, and other sectors like education that they can get away with most of this shit.

They're pretty fortunate to have a huge mindshare/market share and pretty decent business products that most companies, like ours, just say "fuck it" and get everything from the single supplier. We've been with HP for so long that there's no chance for me switch to a calculator that isn't a HP 50g because I would need to find/re-write all of my programs (despite the buttons having only a lifespan of a year).

AxeMan

Yep. Brother right here

Excellent printer. The touch screen is a little janky though

Brother-MFC-9330CDW.jpg

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Brother Laser for life!

Can a Mod please just create a poll.

What is the only printer option?
  • Brother
  • Brother
  • Brother

knkng

Look into the HL-L23xxx line. You can probably find them for $80 including a small toner drum.

Multifunction ones (scanner/copier/duplex printing) are obviously larger and more costly, although the DCP-L2520DW seems more or less compact.

I just bought that exact model a couple weeks ago. It's fantastic, I would highly recommend it.

Previously I had an old Canon inkjet (MP210), and man what an annoying piece of shit. I would always use refill cartridges to save money, and the printer would constantly give me errors saying that there was no cartridge detected. After screwing around a bit you could force the print through somehow, but it was always like a game to get it started, lol.

MaxDOL

For people who still need to print in color buy ink-jet printer with original ink tank from factory.
You can refill ink with first party ink which has similar price as 3rd party ink.

pdRktp2mvIAIvEOWiKzPQA57WEolGE3yonWRWd3h0FPBTAhRhKurfyc-SCvsoc1NB9KwJc_mdO8598Z1fGgBdCYVsRojrPsoHgoL8REuTXIX-Ite4mfcuS4jquymgb-fAJoCLQIy_pnzPCPh8JTMIgJcr2akwXzt-yWrwuNTpkfk1B5tnjpc13TPuK94k1_GvT9R5rP6z9bCPN4WZ-YBJsnJ0vWniTHfkKPzy3h4rzo1dgijoFPLgTLqj12pbEAhqDfiwzjXTJKF6ZO7QkDHxpMsA_QBscJrMuHWAIj0TiQmJuPRuLZCMTQIFOV3xCCXni2vrvKLIYf4qe9GVWSeyWSaoCgqtKp3acfo5MB9MOpSjww3dpW97bH1_uzTMKl5wsHhWTNjmE6jOwrcXL0iXRPT7_ulzccFEc0bxFYFwtZ1iq079zm1jsm9nCXnKWKRRcLEukhLXcFGSDLWK7yJbWHpmXDwbzJ6eH6J18OfWW6qZsMtW_nBdkyLUyVRFowapX1N2rHkMgyDgF4ST1h31sqk0iw8pDRTVfZWB6TuwpsSYZUsdXG0WnnLgd0QQ2QxXaEc=w797-h666-no

WaterAstro

Ink Cartridge DRM? holy crap

Can you at least refill them via Costco ink refill service or something? Ink is just a ripoff.

Vagabundo

We use shit loads of HP laserjets here in work and they are pretty reliable. Just to offer a counterpoint. When they last they last for ages.

This driver thing is complete bollox though. I use Linux it probably wont effect me.

I had to take the battery out of our A3 deskjet to disable the clock. Really really well hidden in there. Trying to avoid HP products in the future because of it. The printer wasn't great anyway.

Bedlam

Mental note: "stay away from HP products, especially printers."

I will have a look into these Brother printers you guys keep mentioning.

Have use Canon, Lexmark, Samsung, and eventually Brother and would say, if you just doing normal black and white document, just stick with Brother. They don't fuck with the consumer and the printer are good for what it's design for. For me, I got myself the printer below.

Work like a charm and get the job done when I need to print stuff either from computer or on my phone (yay wireless printing). Ink isn't cheap but based on the one I got, it last for me on average 3 to 4 months as I print tons of document at home for work (for average joe, this can be easy 6 to 8 months or a year).

Is that the DCP 7065DN? High Five! I have the same one!

Zaph

I have to print colour quite regularly, and print shops around here are overpriced, but I was convinced to go back to HP by people praising their PageWide printers. They're fantastic.

Inkjet photo quality, but at laser speeds. Replacing all the cartridges is expensive (about £200 for all 4), but like a laser, they last for thousands of pages.

MrChom

Printer-as-a-service business model coming up

Already exists in the business environment.

Absolutely. I used to worik for Wolverhampton City Council and they'd moved from buying printers to having massive Konica-Minolta "Multi-Function-Devices" installed. Every so often they phoned home for more toner and it just....turned up.

I believe this has been a business model for ... about... 40 years and it's basically failed. Kinkos, Staples, etc., and then all of the smaller, local printing houses.

That's not quite what printer-as-a-service would be. Certainly in the modern context. You'd be talking more about having an on-site printer that's not owned by you, and is maintained by someone else but that you have full use of. Think like Office 365 where you pay an annual fee to use it....

What do they do the the cartridges that makes detection of a refill possible?
Likely just a chip in there that says it's printed this amount of ink and it's now done. You could try to refill it but unless that chip resets somehow you're still boned. It's not like it's detecting you putting a hole in the side or something.

noface

I am working as a service admin for printer and notebook engineers and think the bulk of the sales for HP comes from business customers and big companies. Most of the time those will buy a service contract from HP/Lexmark/whomever and don't waste another thought where the cartridges may come from. Maybe some higher up took a long hard look at the numbers and thought about trying something to milk some more dollars out of the smaller private business part. I don't know why it has been done but I think it is telling, that I first hear on neogaf about it although I am talking to HP customers on a daily basis.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I am working as a service admin for printer and notebook engineers and think the bulk of the sales for HP comes from business customers and big companies. Most of the time those will buy a service contract from HP/Lexmark/whomever and don't waste another thought where the cartridges may come from. Maybe some higher up took a long hard look at the numbers and thought about trying something to milk some more dollars out of the smaller private business part. I don't know why it has been done but I think it is telling, that I first hear on neogaf about it although I am talking to HP customers on a daily basis.

The business world and the consumer world are two very different things. I dont know any company, even small businesses, who doesnt rent their printers anymore. Even the large company I work at now has a service contract with canon and actually pays to have canon staffers run our print shop. All of our printers are on contract. No one thinks about ink at all, as its all built in to the per page cost of printing. When I worked at a small agency, we still had a service contract on the printers, something like .03 black and white, .05 color per color page (not sure on the exact detail)

Point is I could never imagine a business client complaining about not being able to use unofficial ink, everyone is too busy to be worrying about what ink is going into the machines.

Vlaphor

I just use HP Instant Ink. I pay $5 a month to print 100 pages and what I don't use rolls over into the next month (up to 100 total). They also offer $3 a month for 50 pages and $10 a month for 300. The printer auto-orders more ink when I run low and all I have to do is send the old cartridges back in a prepaid envelope after the new ones come in. A page is a page and it doesn't matter what I print.

robochimp

You guys really need to move to laser printers.

Even Brother won't save you from the terror of inkjet printer problems. I had a Brother inkjet for two years replaced the ink cartridges and it promptly emptied them cleaning and aligning itself.

Never again, bought a laser printer.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Well timed thread. I had been thinking of getting a laser printer. In my case, I print so rarely that I often have to do print head cleaning once or twice when I need to print something. Print, see issues, head clean, print... bah

I have to print colour quite regularly, and print shops around here are overpriced, but I was convinced to go back to HP by people praising their PageWide printers. They're fantastic.

Inkjet photo quality, but at laser speeds. Replacing all the cartridges is expensive (about £200 for all 4), but like a laser, they last for thousands of pages.

Went to the page, read half a sentence and then a "How can we help you today?" chat thing took over the page on mobile. Not doing that would have been great, thanks, lol

Aiii

So not worth it
Haven't owned a printer since 2004, at first I did my printing at school, now I do it at work (all 3 or 4 things I print for personal use a year). It's a dying business on the consumer end, I would imagine, so I can think of a few reasons why HP did this. I don't think it will ultimately save their business in the consumer market, though.

Tablets, e-tickets, digital contracts, it all spells the end for printing.

FyreWulff

Even Brother won't save you from the terror of inkjet printer problems. I had a Brother inkjet for two years replaced the ink cartridges and it promptly emptied them cleaning and aligning itself.

Never again, bought a laser printer.

inkjets will always have issues since they have so many mechanical moving parts. At least Brother lets you just buy refill jugs, though.

Amusingly, Brother is pretty much a sewing machine company that happens to also make printers. In terms of revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom