• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 is looking like one of the most eventful years for Playstation in a while

Topher

Gold Member
Here is the great white knight back to defend people who were banned for the same reason.

I’m in this thread for Sony games. Not the above user spending over 10 comments about Xbox and you offering nothing to the discussion but still talking about me a week later. Go play a game.

banned ban GIF

Alt account? Wonder who he was.

Lethal01

So
God of War Ragnarok
Horizon Forbidden West
At least 1 Naughty Dog project
Forspoken
Granblue Fantasy Relink
SIFU
Stray
Little Devil Inside

PSVR 2 launch titles

Possibly
Final Fantasy XVI
Lost Soul Aside

PlayStation's 2022 is crazy

What about Final Fantasy XVI has indicated it's gonna be a VR title.

24 hours after VR2 is basically confirmed for this year...where's everyone that doubted about the remake and Factions for this year?

At this point only the Director's Cut or PS5 version of TLOU2 is missing from everything mentioned in my OP 👀

Edit:
Well, well, well

Last edited:

Tomeru

In what way stuff like this lags behind the PS5 exclusive Ratchet & Clank?

I swear all you guys were really excited with that original Horizon Forbidden West trailer or Miles Morales and screaming "THIS IS NEXT GEN" until the PS4 versions were announced, lmao.

Yo this looks so next gen. GG are beasts I tell you, best in their class.

"Also for ps4"

I knew it. Something looked wrong.

yurinka

Anyway where's the guys that posted here that VR2 wasn't coming this year? January 5th and we're already close
They still have to show:
-Price
-Release date
-Pictures or footage of how the headset looks
-To announce the list of launch games
-To announce some launch window games that won't be available at non-launch
-To show some gameplay footage (the short clip seems to be part of a cutscene where you can move your head)
-Mention already announced PS5 games that will support it (GT7 maybe?)

This makes me think they will want to spread all this info into different events separated by months between them. So I think a H2 2022 release is still possible, but considering on top of that covid delaying games and reducing chip and console supply makes me think that a H1 2023 release is more likely.

GoW was already a 2021 game that got delayed from 2022, something that I think was hard for Sony specially combined with the Horizon 2 and GT7 delays. So I think there are 0% chances of delaying Horizon, GT7 or GoW to 2023.

Last edited:
They still have to show:
-Price
-Release date
-Pictures or footage of how the headset looks
-To announce the list of launch games
-To announce some launch window games that won't be available at non-launch
-To show some gameplay footage (the short clip seems to be part of a cutscene where you can move your head)
-Mention already announced PS5 games that will support it (GT7 maybe?)

This makes me think they will want to spread all this info into different events separated by months between them. So I think a H2 2022 release is still possible, but considering on top of that covid delaying games and reducing chip and console supply makes me think that a H1 2023 release is more likely
PS5 was announced and shown in June and released in November.
Sony doesn't hype their products more than a year in advance anymore.
Not saying VR2 is coming out for sure this year...things are too unstable to say that, but clearly that's the plan or they wouldn't make all that noise a few days ago.

They didn't even do that with the PS5 last year at the same event.

About God of War...for a 2021 game to be delayed until 2023 would be extremely odd, but who knows. Horizon and GT7 will for sure come out this year since they have release dates for February and March.

Novacain

I was just thinking how basically everything will be happening for Playstation next year.

This topic isn't just about game releases. It's about all things Playstation that we can expect for in 2021...and it's quite a lot when you think about it. A lot more than 2021.

Videogames:

So far this is what we got confirmed:

January - Uncharted Collection
February - Horizon, Sifu
March - Gran Turismo 7
May - Forspoken

Games already announced for 2022 but with no release dates (incl. timed exclusives):
God of War Ragnarok
Stray
Ghostwire: Tokyo

Games not yet announced but that will for sure happen:
TLOU2 Director's Cut *
TLOU Remake *
Factions
(PS4 and PS5) *

It's possible games like FFXVI are releasing even though i believe this one will be delayed to 2023. If it does release in 2022 then sweet jesus. Imagine getting a new Gran Turismo, a new main Final Fantasy game and sequels for titles such as God of War and Horizon all within 12 months.

But 2022 will honestly be a lot more than just games.

Movies and TV Shows:

2022 will be the most important year for Sony's Playstation Productions so far. They are releasing one big blockbuster movie and one TV show. Both are based on IPs from the same studio: Naughty Dog:

February - Uncharted Movie
Later - The Last Us Us TV Show (HBO)

* I truly believe the reason we haven't seen TLOU2 Director's Cut yet is because of everything that's being worked on for this franchise. They won't waste the TV show's hype to give us everything TLOU related: the multiplayer game, the remake that's been in the works for a while and the Director's Cut of the 2nd game like we got for Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding.

If games, tv shows and movies isn't enough, we're also getting another thing...

Playstation VR 2:

That's right: Playstation VR2 is releasing in 2022 for PS5. And with it, i'm sure some games are also releasing, which means some reveals are happening during 2022 as well.

The Biggest PSPlus and PS Now rebranding so far, code-named Spartacus:

Earlier this month, Bloomberg released an article revealing Sony's plans to rebrand PS Now and PS Plus into a single service. Supposedly it's releasing this next spring.

This is what Jason reported:

Eurogamer (i think?) also teased that services like Crunchyroll could be a part of the 3rd tier of this service. And not only are we getting so many new games we may potentially be getting PS3, PS2 and PSOne games on a current console again. If well done it's a no-brainer for me (depending on the price of course).

Playstation + Discord:

Sony made such a big deal with this that i believe it's more than just a simple discord integration...but not long until we find out more.

The way this collaboration was announced seems like it'll happen sooner rather than later in 2022:

More Studio Acquisitions + Continuing growth for their remaining studios and partnerships:

2021 saw Sony acquiring 4 studios, 1 studio mainly for ports and one last studio that will be used as a support studio for their developers. All of this in 7 months. Their acquisitions so far have been very strategic and many of them quite obvious like Housemarque and Bluepoint. That said, the Firesprite acquisition was a bit of a surprise and it's now one of their biggest studios out of nowhere, and it's now developing at least 2 or 3 games. Exciting days ahead.

About future acquisitions, we know they won't stop here. Recently they had job-listings looking for someone with experience in acquisitions, right after all the studios had been acquired. Plus it has been teased by Herman himself.

About partnerships, specially in Asia, Sony hired someone rather curious that seems to be going to help with that:

Sounds like a huge get for a market that clearly needs it.

About their already established studios, at the moment a lot of their studios are working in multiple projects at the same time which they weren't 5 years ago. Sony doesn't want their studios "stuck" with a single project for more than half a decade now. Naughty Dog is working in god knows how many: TLOU remake, Factions, the PS5 version of the Uncharted Collection and sometime ago they were working supposedly on a new IP. Insomniac is working in at least 2 projects: Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine. Guerrila is also working in 2 projects: Horizon and a multiplayer project. Sony Santa Monica is doing God of War Ragnarok and Cory's new project is also underway. I only mentioned 4 studios...but at least 10 games from them are coming. And their hiring spree isn't really ending any time soon.

PC releases + Mobile games:

It's not a secret that Sony wants more people to play their games. In a time budgets could potentially hit $150M per title, it makes no sense to rely only on a single piece of hardware to play those nowadays, specially with the chip-shortage we have at the moment. The movies and tv shows are only one piece of the puzzle. The PC releases of Horizon, Days Gone, Death Stranding and the future release of Uncharted is the first step. Nixees was hired for this. What projects do you expect to find their way to PCs next year?

About mobile games...i'm not into that market honestly, but obviously Sony wants a piece of that pie.

Just recently they they hired someone for the job...and sounds like a huge get:

Overall:

2022 sounds like they are giving us everything: Games, new hardware, movies, tv shows, the rebrand of Playstation's online subscriptions, acquisitions, etc...

I'm sure i'm missing stuff, but when you put it like this...2022 will be one hell of a year for Playstation. Just the games alone would be enough, but it sounds like a lot of their strategies will be finally put in place this next year.

What are you most excited about for the next 12 months Playstation related?

Nothing really tbh, I'm getting all of that elsewhere at the moment; I sold my ps5 and am sticking to series x and PC for the ports of Sony exclusives.

I'm pretty disappointed in how Sony is choosing to structure the pricing schemes of their titles to essentially charge for patches and basic scalability support in comparison to smart delivery and PC.

Last gen I was all PS4 and PC (skipped Xbox entirely) so this is a pretty big change in feeling for me.

yurinka

PS5 was announced and shown in June and released in November.
Sony doesn't hype their products more than a year in advance anymore.
Not saying VR2 is coming out for sure this year...things are too unstable to say that, but clearly that's the plan or they wouldn't make all that noise a few days ago.

They didn't even do that with the PS5 last year at the same event.

About God of War...for a 2021 game to be delayed until 2023 would be extremely odd, but who knows. Horizon and GT7 will for sure come out this year since they have release dates for February and March.
They already announced PSVR2 while ago and shown its controllers. This week they only provided tech specs, revealed the name and the first game. What makes me think it can go 2023, in addition to covid affecting game development and electronic hardware shipments, is that they didn't even mention a '2022' or 'it's coming this year'.

An specific date could wait, or I understand they could save it for later like other game announcents or the price for a specific event or the E3. But I think that if they were sure that it's going to be released this year they would have mentioned it.

Maybe they aren't sure of the date and are considering Q4 2022 or H1 2023 but before deciding are waiting to see how the chip shortages and console sales evolve during these months and how game development for the launch window games goes to see if they may need some extra time to release them properly polished.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
24 hours after VR2 is basically confirmed for this year...where's everyone that doubted about the remake and Factions for this year?

At this point only the Director's Cut or PS5 version of TLOU2 is missing from everything mentioned in my OP 👀

Edit:
Well, well, well

Lets just hope its next gen only. As much as I liked TLOU2, getting the same graphics for the remake is going to be super lame.

yurinka

So far this is what we got confirmed:

January - Uncharted Collection
February - Horizon, Sifu
March - Gran Turismo 7
May - Forspoken

Games already announced for 2022 but with no release dates (incl. timed exclusives):
God of War Ragnarok
Stray
Ghostwire: Tokyo

Games not yet announced but that will for sure happen:
TLOU2 Director's Cut *
TLOU Remake *
Factions
(PS4 and PS5) *

It's possible games like FFXVI are releasing even though i believe this one will be delayed to 2023. If it does release in 2022 then sweet jesus. Imagine getting a new Gran Turismo, a new main Final Fantasy game and sequels for titles such as God of War and Horizon all within 12 months.

Added some more:
Spring: Deathverse: Let it Die
Summer: DNF Duel (ARC System Works making the fighting game of a top 2/3 top grossing worldwide PC game of the last decade)
August: Babylon's Fall
2022: Little Devil Inside
2022: Granblue Fantasy Relink
2022: Goodbye Volcano High (your GOTY now that Knack 3 isn't coming)

More Studio Acquisitions + Continuing growth for their remaining studios and partnerships:

2021 saw Sony acquiring 4 studios, 1 studio mainly for ports and one last studio that will be used as a support studio for their developers. All of this in 7 months.
Half a dozen studios in barely half a year, it's impressive and even knowing they also bought EVO and that there are more coming:
-Housemarque
-Firesprite
-Fabrik (integrated into Firesprite)
-Bluepoint (remakes + new games)
-Nixxes (PC ports + engine/tools support)
-Valkyrie (support)

In addition to this, I think it's equally important to mention that all their PlayStation Studios are growing, many of them showing a big amount of job offer positions open. From their bigger teams to their smaller ones, and even including support teams or XDEV.

Which means that in addition to have more studios, the already existing ones will be able to release more games because they will have more internal teams and on top of that they will be able to delegate more stuff like porting stuff to support teams.

About mobile games...i'm not into that market honestly, but obviously Sony wants a piece of that pie.
Here you have some recent data: mobile gaming generates more revenue than console and PC combined. And most of it comes from GaaS, so this is why Sony will invest in both mobile and GaaS.

Newzoo_Global_Games_Market_by_Segment-1536x864.png

Sony already has a team making mobile games under Aniplex (under Sony Music, not under their gaming division), which generates them as I remember like a Billion per year or so, but not sure.

Last edited:
Nothing really tbh, I'm getting all of that elsewhere at the moment; I sold my ps5 and am sticking to series x and PC for the ports of Sony exclusives.

I'm pretty disappointed in how Sony is choosing to structure the pricing schemes of their titles to essentially charge for patches and basic scalability support in comparison to smart delivery and PC.

Last gen I was all PS4 and PC (skipped Xbox entirely) so this is a pretty big change in feeling for me.
What can I say...if you look at that OP and find nothing good, selling it was the best decision for sure.
Added some more:
Spring: Deathverse: Let it Die
Summer: DNF Duel (ARC System Works making the fighting game of a top 2/3 top grossing worldwide PC game of the last decade)
August: Babylon's Fall
2022: Little Devil Inside
2022: Granblue Fantasy Relink
2022: Goodbye Volcano High (your GOTY now that Knack 3 isn't coming)

Half a dozen studios in barely half a year, it's impressive and even knowing they also bought EVO and that there are more coming:
-Housemarque
-Firesprite
-Fabrik (integrated into Firesprite)
-Bluepoint (remakes + new games)
-Nixxes (PC ports + engine/tools support)
-Valkyrie (support)

In addition to this, I think it's equally important to mention that all their PlayStation Studios are growing, many of them showing a big amount of job offer positions open. From their bigger teams to their smaller ones, and even including support teams or XDEV.

Which means that in addition to have more studios, the already existing ones will be able to release more games because they will have more internal teams and on top of that they will be able to delegate more stuff like porting stuff to support teams.

Here you have some recent data: mobile gaming generates more revenue than console and PC combined. And most of it comes from GaaS, so this is why Sony will invest in both mobile and GaaS.

Newzoo_Global_Games_Market_by_Segment-1536x864.png

Sony already has a team making mobile games under Aniplex (under Sony Music, not under their gaming division), which generates them as I remember like a Billion per year or so, but not sure.
Thank you for the added info. Some of your post is new to me as well.

yurinka

What can I say...if you look at that OP and find nothing good, selling it was the best decision for sure.

Thank you for the added info. Some of your post is new to me as well.
Ok thanks. I forgot to mention a few ones:
March: Relayer (by Kadokawa, for the nerdest mech otakus)
2022: Earth Defense Force 6 (same)
2022: Abandoned
2022: Salt and Sacrifice

There are many more not announced as 2022 but seem super likely, but as they have oficially TBA as their date I wouldn't include them.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. I forgot to mention a few ones:
March: Relayer (by Kadokawa, for the nerdest mech otakus)
2022: Earth Defense Force 6 (same)
2022: Abandoned
2022: Salt and Sacrifice

There are many more not announced as 2022 but seem super likely, but as they have oficially TBA as their date I wouldn't include them.

Helldivers 2 is all but confirmed also

WildBoy

Ok, y'all are probably gonna accuse me of being a green rate ..

but that screen can very easily pass for God of War 2018 on the Pro in its high resolution mode :p

Of course seeing it in motion will be a different matter altogether.

I whole heartedly agree... PS4 pro games dressed as PS5 games. They look good but nothing like PS5 level of graphics.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Where are their beautiful games that are not funded, co-developed, and published by Sony?

The Star Wars Eclipse CG trailer looked nice sure, but that wasn't realtime.

Overall PlayStation Studios are the best right now in terms of visual fidelity.

Doesn't mean they have a monopoly. More like, a controlling interest.

They used to, not anymore. Now they are just competitive.

Umbasaborne

Banned
god-of-war-ragnarok-whzkml.jpg

And this is a simple screen. The amount of high quality textures in here is insane. How can anyone look at this and say "ew it's cross play"? 99% of the games out there can only dream to look this good, lmao.
No ones doubting that it looks great, but how big is that space and how many loading hallways will we crawl through to get there? Thats the issue with cross gen, and before anyone comes at me, ive levvied many complaints at microsoft for cross gen as well, particularly the visuals in halo’s campaign

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
No, they are the best. Prove otherwise.

Don’t use games published and made by Sony’s development houses.

Prove otherwise?

Thats easy.

What technologies or group of technologies are sony using that makes them superior?

I will tell you now.

Zero.

Sure returnal may have an advanced particle systems.
But flight sim has advanced clouds or metro has RT Gi

Only a fool would say that one game is flat out superior at the moment.

Last edited:
The best thing about sony is they give their devs a lot of time and creative freedom to make their games, and on top of that they will delay a game for as long as it needs to come out polished

Sony as a publisher have a high bar for quality control. Thats what separates them from Ubisoft, activision,etc. These are companies so large and so dependent on constant releases that they dont really have the luxury to delay big annual games for months. They also have that ‘design by committee’ feel cause the studios are so big and the formula makes money. They don’t have a lot of wiggle room to experiment and even implement new tech

Last edited:
Prediction:

January - Uncharted Collection, God of war (PC)
February - Horizon FB, Sifu
March - Gran Turismo 7
April- God of War Ragnarok
May - Forspoken
June- Ghostwire: Tokyo
July- TLOU Remake + TLOU2 Director's Cut + Factions
Aug-
Sep- Stray
Oct- Little Devil Inside
Nov- PS VR2 Launch
Dec-

Last edited: