• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Firesprite shedding talent over toxic work conditions, alarming number of people left after Sony retention bonus

Ozriel

M$FT
I don’t want to be that guy but where will they go? Everyone is doing layoffs

And others are (selectively) hiring at the same time.

It's funny how we turned against devs now lol

We used to be empathetic to crunch, now we think they're lazy. Likely because they take too long to make games and they're of , supposed, lower quality/creativity

'We'? I'm still empathetic to crunch.
This studio put out Horizon Call of the Mountain in a relatively short time, and it was well received.

Tough for me to read these kinds of articles and take them very seriously these days. I hope that's true for people in the industry as well. From the outside, it certainly looks like the pubs are moving back to a more traditional work culture. That does not bode well for people who think they are victims of overtime, or victims by being forced to drive to work, etc., etc.

The article details studio mismanagement, not stuff as trivial as RTO mandates or limited overtime.

Sony should probably Brexit the UK

Every single UK studio is a dumpster fire including third parties

They were certainly good enough to make COTM that you liked so much.

tmlDan

Or because the said article is full of one-sided crying without some context or even an attempt to give the mic (maybe not oficially) to the other side of the story. Critical thinking is not that hard.

We've seen articles like this before and a lot of said stuff is usually overblown.
i'm not sure if you're attacking me or not, i didn't say it wasn't justified lol

i get it, it's just interesting to observe

Mr.ODST

I heard about this awhile ago. Usual Sony UK problem of worthless middle-management blaming everyone but themselves for problems.
Why I left working for them, I would see people being laid off left right and center right in the middle of the day randomly, was awful

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I love a ton of LGBT people. I hate the community initiatives as they have been an absolute cancer for gaming.

What initiatives are you thinking about? The Body #1 and Body #2 thing?

Why I left working for them, I would see people being laid off left right and center right in the middle of the day randomly, was awful

Hold on......you used to work for who?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sony should probably Brexit the UK

Every single UK studio is a dumpster fire including third parties
I was going to post similar the other day, but I looked on Wikipedia and there’s quite a few that I would class as successful at what they do.

Rare
4J
Creative Assembly
Rockstar North, London, Leeds, Lincoln & Dundee
Media Molecule
Splash Damage
Playground Games
Playtonic

To name but a few. And when you see it listed and consider that we are a tiny island, it’s actually fairly impressive.

That being said, the reason I initially was going to post something similar is because I thought ‘what does creative culture even look like in the UK right now?’.

Or it was just a bad work environment.

Bad work environment is a given, but that's also a subjective term. What matters is the reasons for that bad environment.

When all the complaints in different studios of different companies share the same taglines, I start to non-believe. We have some objective data, though:

- Management has been abysmal. Both Firesprite's and Playstation's. Hermen should not survive this.

- There hasn't been any supervision or accountability for years.

- The productivity of Firesprite (same as Haven and MM) has been non-existent. In most companies, we would be fired if we don't deliver a product in X years.

- These guys spend a good deal of time posting bullshit on Twitter. (seems anecdotal. It's not)

So, from the above, we may jump to some conclusions. Sony is to blame, Firesprite is to blame and definitely, devs are to blame. The same as in Rocksteady, Eidos, Naughty Dog, and wherever they fail to meet their targets.

Media Molecule and Haven will get the axe soon. Long overdue, if you ask me.

Mr.Phoenix

Anyone else think it’s strange when Microsoft does things like this people raise their pitchforks and say how terrible they are and when Sony does it people blame the employees at the studio?
Maybe because MS is a MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger company and the one thing they seem to do a lot of is flaunt a lot of money around.

How do you spend almost $70B buying a publisher then less than 6 months after the ink is dried, layoff 1900 with most of them coming from the publisher you just bought?

If you cant see the difference... then I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe because MS is a MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger company and the one thing they seem to do a lot of is flaunt a lot of money around.

How do you spend almost $70B buying a publisher then less than 6 months after the ink is dried, layoff 1900 with most of them coming from the publisher you just bought?

There is no difference. All these game companies hired too many people during the COVID epidemic (2020-2022) and Activision was no different. MS purchased Activision, analyzed and determined the amount of hires they needed for the projects they had in the pipeline, and let go of the excess. Acting like one company is a saint and one is the devil for doing the exact same thing is just stupid.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
The article is a narrative with almost 0 detail. If your expose has 0 specifics then it's trash.

But people want to believe certain things so they don't require quality evidence...It's more fun believing BS.
It's a prime piece of emotional manipulation with zero hard facts. Typical these days.

I'm, not arguing about some problems within Sony UK studios, but this whole piece is baseless cry me a river from upset workers and I have zero solid info to make my own conclusions because no facts were present, only emotions.

I was going to post similar the other day, but I looked on Wikipedia and there’s quite a few that I would class as successful at what they do.

Rare
4J
Creative Assembly
Rockstar North, London, Leeds, Lincoln & Dundee
Media Molecule
Splash Damage
Playground Games
Playtonic

To name but a few. And when you see it listed and consider that we are a tiny island, it’s actually fairly impressive.

That being said, the reason I initially was going to post something similar is because I thought ‘what does creative culture even look like in the UK right now?’.

Output of those studios is not good, imho.

Rare had been crap for a very long time

Anyone else think it's strange how it's always MS fans who whine all the fucking time about shit being unfair?
Downton Abbey Yes GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

Kdad

ChatGPT, write me a generic story about toxic culture at a game studio that will win me points with the purple hairs.
In the heart of Firesprite Studios, a troubling narrative unfolds beneath the surface glamour of game development. Amidst the dazzling lights and sleek design, a toxic culture festers, fueled by the relentless demands of management and a disregard for the well-being of its employees. Crunch culture permeates the air, as passionate developers are pushed beyond their limits, sacrificing personal lives for the sake of meeting unattainable deadlines set by disconnected higher-ups.

Within this pressure-cooker environment, diversity and inclusion are mere afterthoughts, overshadowed by a pervasive boys' club mentality that alienates anyone who doesn't fit the mold. Women and minorities find themselves marginalized, their voices drowned out by the deafening roar of unchecked privilege. HR complaints fall on deaf ears, leaving employees feeling powerless in a system that prioritizes profits over people.

As the studio churns out hit after hit, the toll on its workforce becomes increasingly apparent. Burnout is rampant, mental health concerns are ignored, and turnover rates soar as disillusioned developers seek refuge elsewhere. Yet, amidst the darkness, whispers of resistance begin to emerge. Employees gather in solidarity, realizing that change is desperately needed. Calls for unionization grow louder, as workers unite against the oppressive forces that seek to exploit them. The stage is set for a revolution within the walls of Firesprite Studios, where the battle for dignity and respect wages on, and the true cost of toxic culture is laid bare for all to see.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Day like any other.
I don't want to be hearing these news. I don't think we should hear this or care about this

Rockman33

You realize how many people probably had over lapped positions when you buy a publisher, A LOT. Not to mention the % of staff laid off between both Microsoft and Sony are about the same. 9-10%.

Your response just goes to show how blind and biased some people are.

Ozriel

M$FT

There's no difference, really. It still landed at the same percentage of staff cuts, and it doesn't make sense for you to hold a major acquisition over the head of one, while ignoring record revenues for the other.
But this is veering too close to warz for my liking.
It's clear to everyone that there's an industry wide correction that's leading to widespread staff cuts.

It was a cool little VR launch title, but that has nothing to do with the current state of UK developers

You certainly didn't describe it as a 'cool little VR launch title' last year

Output of those studios is not good, imho.

Rare had been crap for a very long time

Sea of Thieves is very well regarded, and sales and user reviews back this up.
There's a certain level of craziness to disparage the quality of the Forza Horizon series or claim that Playground Games has poor output.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Anyone else think it’s strange when Microsoft does things like this people raise their pitchforks and say how terrible they are and when Sony does it people blame the employees at the studio?
Not everyone. You’re just focusing too much on some posts. Sony definitely takes less shit around these parts, but that makes sense since there are more Sony supporters here than Xbox ones.

Sea of Thieves is very well regarded, and sales and user reviews back this up.
There's a certain level of craziness to disparage the quality of the Forza Horizon series or claim that Playground Games has poor output.

I’m personally not a fan of any of those games. Sea of thieves is a complete bore fest

Playground could change my mind with Fable

Ozriel

M$FT
What did I describe it as?

A very good, 8-9 hour visual showcase with some of the best production values of VR gaming. One you were keen to get Day 1 along with the hardware.

Not a verbatim descriptor, of course.

I’m personally not a fan of any of those games. Sea of thieves is a complete bore fest

Playground could change my mind with Fable

I have never played a single Souls game in my life. No real interest in the genre. Not a fan of 'serious' racers like GT7.

But I'd be absolutely insane to call them 'garbage' or insist they were poor games because I'm not interested in the genre.

A very good, 8-9 hour visual showcase with some of the best production values of VR gaming. One you were keen to get Day 1 along with the hardware.

Not a verbatim descriptor, of course.

That falls under the cool little VR title I stated above?

Its not some massive AAA game though despite the high production values.

But I'd be absolutely insane to call them 'garbage' or insist they were poor games because I'm not interested in the genre.

I have played SoT, it’s a nice looking game with nothing fun to do in it. To me it’s not good. I was interested in the concept.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Not everyone. You’re just focusing too much on some posts. Sony definitely takes less shit around these parts, but that makes sense since there are more Sony supporters here than Xbox ones.

Pretty much. MS supporters defend MS when negative news hits and same for Sony and Sony supporters.

Having said that, I think we have a good number of folks will trash either when they feel it is necessary.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

-When MS announced the acquisition agreement, ABK had ~3000 fewer employees than it had (two years later) when the closing of the agreement was announced.
In that period Activision also opened 2 new Studios/offices.

That is, even after the 1900 layoffs, ABK has more employees/devs than when MS offered the 70B.

-Then the problem is believing that independent ABK would not have made any layoffs. Ensuring something like that in these times would be more than surprising.
The % of layoffs is the same as what you are seeing in the rest of editor layoffs.

-TOFB was working as Studio COD support. After losing 30% of their workforce they were now reduced to 80-70 devs and had embraced working from home.

I think that the solution taken has been the best for the user, the Studio and even MS. Because a Studio without its own project, working from home and with a small number of staff, its end was written.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Sometimes the dream job isn't worth what it costs you to do it.
Best job of my entire life was working at Blockbuster. Talked about movies and games with customers, little to no responsibilities, free game/movie rentals and good discounts.

But sadly I had to grow up and go into the field I am in now (for 20 years).

I love games and movies, but there’s no way I’d want to be involved in making either.

Darsxx82

Sony is going to have to work hard to right that situation.

(ERA post recopilation)
Just the current state of Firesprite according to what you can read online. You can hear stuff like:
- Management/leadership since Sony took over is awful. The last shipped project (Horizon VR?) was a nightmare to work with.
- The Sony acquisition has negatively impacted many departments. Since the acquisition they have lost over 100 employees and had Firesprite culture dismantled piece by piece. Sony implemented a hiring pause that put pressure on several teams and caused many staff to have complete burnout.
- Founders jumped ship after they got their golden parachutes (after the Firesprite and Fabrik Games acquisition).
- People are afraid to even give input on their own work and disappear if they challenge the new studio heads.
- Understaffed projects that are often poorly managed.
- Projects in development hell.
- Chaotic production on almost every project. Resulting in wasted time and people running around like headless chickens crunching to get stuff in last minute. Lack of clear direction in many projects. Too many leads/directors (especially after the Sony acquisition). They bite off more than they can chew resulting in cancelled projects. All projects are understaffed resulting on a lot of people getting moved from project to project.
- Management and many employees have limited experience with Unreal Engine and a certain project is suffering as a result. Unlikely to ship.

Remember Pete Ellis? The former Naughty Dog dev who went to Firesprite to work as a game director for their narrative-driven horror game? He left this month.
The same goes for the lead designer who worked on Horizon Call of the Mountain. Gone.

Over 100 developers left since Sony bought them, game development is chaotic and projects are getting canceled. The Sony acquisition has had a negative impact on the culture and leadership. Before the acquisition there were pretty much only positive reviews on Glassdoor.
Doesn't sound good.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Jim Ryan on the way out in 1 month, and all these firings, missed PS5 forecasts, VR2 is basically dead and last gasp in PC support, and now toxic work environments are floodgates open.

Tokomi really cleaning house before taking the reigns April 1. Wants to start as clean slate as possible so when he takes over, everything can only improve.

Also the director of Returnal leaving Housemarque was a huge blow to the one Sony studio I currently give a shit about
I feel like maybe a dozen people gave a shit about this but for me that was like Miyazaki quitting after Dark Souls 1. Extremely shit news and my interest in Housemarque went from 11/10 to that eh Larry David gif.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
As the clouds of toxicity began to dissipate, a newfound sense of hope blossomed within Infinity Forge. With their passion reignited and their voices heard, Alex and their fellow developers set out to reshape the studio into a place where creativity could thrive once more. Together, they embarked on a journey to redefine what it meant to make games, leaving behind the shadows of the past and embracing a brighter, more inclusive future.
In the end, they were all fired so an executive could get his bonus.
FTFY

Top Bottom