• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Ubisoft Montreal is currently in Turmoil

StereoVsn

I just can't deal with the "but they promised us" bullshit. It sounds like dealing with third graders instead of working adults. Much like with your salary, all your benefits should be in writing on your contract. If it doesn't say anything about working from home in there, then ask for it to be included in writing. Otherwise don't take anything for granted because somebody said it.
Ubisoft published a statement to the employees saying they are going 100% remote. People made changes in their life because of that. Maybe some moved to other cities, or moved further out, perhaps have additional kids, etc...

That's why folks are upset.

I'm sure they wouldn't call them back to the office just for the hell of it - there surely are metrics that indicate it would be a good decision or they wouldn't bother with it and just maintain current status quo. On the other hand, Ubisoft is foolish for ever indicating that 100% work from home forever would be a reality regardless of how they transmitted that message. Understandable if people moved/relocated based on information they received and maybe they should be accommodated if such motions were made with corporate blessing, but people nearby should be reasonably expected to return to the office. Corona gravy train wasn't going to last forever, I'm surprised this is only coming up now.. Corona was effectively over in Florida in a month or so.

StereoVsn

That's really not true. I manage teams of employees and have an RTO mandate, and the employees are less productive for on-site days. They are more likely to socialize about bullshit all day than get their jobs done.

But this is in general, there is variability obviously
I find for my team the most productive method is couple of days on prem for architectural discussions and then followed by working at home rest of the time on actual tasks.

That said my team is quite senior so people know what they are doing. I think with junior employees I could see on premise to be more helpful from learning and mentorship perspective.

Not sure what this gif is for. Most would rather be part of a successful company than one that's heading towards bankruptcy and do the required work.

That would require people to look to the future, which they don't. Hence why most people have fuck all in savings.

What they'll do is cruise along and ignore the consequences until they can't.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
You aren't as productive in the house, no matter what some like to say.
stfu GIF

recursive

First couple of posts and none bother even reading the first few sentences?

Ubisoft lied to their employees. I'm sure you people would be up in arms if they downgraded your games' graphics but lying to employees is just fine and people are whiners.
At the end of the day it's a benefit that was offered to employees. Employers can change offered benefits and employees can whine about it.

Madflavor

As somebody who started WFM a couple years ago, I have no desire to ever return full time to the office or at the very least would go for a Hybrid position. Your personal and financial benefits from being able to WFM or Hybrid are incredible for modern times where everything is so expensive now.

WFM
  • You get extra sleep because you don't have to worry about showering, getting dressed, making breakfast, and commuting to work.
  • You don't have to pretend to be busy when your work load is light. If you get your work done early, you get to enjoy the rest of your afternoon.
  • Less stress.
  • You don't have your boss breathing down your neck.
  • The flexible hours gives you more freedom with childcare if you're a parent.
  • All of this leads to getting hours of your day back.

Work in Office
  • Have to get up much earlier to account for traffic and your morning routine.
  • A portion of your paycheck has to go to gas money for transportation, or public transportation.
  • Have to sit in traffic on your way home.
  • Morning and Afternoon communicate can account for up to 3 hours of your day, depending on the individual.
  • You'll likely have to crunch harder and at least put on the act of a better performance, leading to higher stress level.
  • If you have a baby/toddler you'll have to put them in daycare fulltime, which in Massachusetts can cost an average $1,500 a month (that's on the lower end btw). If you can't afford it, either you or your partner have to quit their job to be a stay at home parent.

Now I completely understand the notion of having your employees work in office 1-2 times a week for things like Team Building, Meetings, Presentations, etc. But considering all the points above, why the fuck would any person who's been WFM for the past 1-3 years, ever have the desire to return to office full time? Like how dare they not want to go back to being miserable like us.

You aren't as productive in the house, no matter what some like to say.

I can confidently say I've been just as productive in the house since I started WFM, and I'm a lot more happier these days.

Last edited:
Now I completely understand the notion of having your employees work in office 1-2 times a week for things like Team Building, Meetings, Presentations, etc. But considering all the points above, why the fuck would any person who's been WFM for the past 1-3 years, ever have the desire to return to office full time? Like how dare they not want to go back to being miserable like us. Fuck them. If I'm stressed, they should be stressed too.

It's really frustrating seeing companies do RTO policies that swing wildly in the opposite direction (i.e., only 1 day off per week at most when everyone was working fully remote during COVID).

Yeah I understand 1-2 days tops in the office for meetings/collaboration/training, but 4-5 days per week in the office is completely overkill and just reeks of upper management not having any clue how the sausage is made. Nobody is "collaborating all the time" in a manner that requires in-person discussions constantly. 90% of the work is task based where you shouldn't need those sorts of discussions. You just need to sit, focus, and work.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Welcome to the real world entitled babies.

Instead of treating 3.5 years of covid WFH as a super long temporary perk where you saved on commute time and spending money on gas, eating out and impressing people with new clothes, it's time to get your ass to the office. Most people still had to slog it to work even during covid wearing masks, using sanitizer stations and all, instead of waking up at 8:55 am to log into your corporate PC by 9 am.

No company would had ever put in writing covid WFH is a permanent thing for life. Even companies giving up the lease forcing workers to be at home, they might change their minds 5 years later and sign up for new office space.

Some people must be super anti-social not wanting to see or chat with coworkers. Let me guess. They all claim to be the most productive workers being lone wolves at home. Saving time on commuting, wasting money, ohhh and ahhhh I'm so much more refreshed and productive.

My company had a 2 year mandatory WFH, but a lot of us were itching to go back. There's only so many awful MS Teams meetings with people who never go on cam and dopey 2 minute icebreaker jokes where everyone on screen is staring in bordeom you can take.

Last edited:
Welcome to the real world entitled babies.

Instead of treating 3.5 years of covid WFH as a super long temporary perk where you saved on commute time and spending money on gas, eating out and impressing people with new clothes, it's time to get your ass to the office. Most people still had to slog it to work even during covid wearing masks, using sanitizer stations and all, instead of waking up at 8:55 am to log into your corporate PC by 9 am.

No company would had ever put in writing covid WFH is a permanent thing for life. Even companies giving up the lease forcing workers to be at home, they might change their minds 5 years later and sign up for new office space.

Some people must be super anti-social not wanting to see or chat with coworkers. Let me guess. They all claim to be the most productive workers being lone wolves at home. Saving time on commuting, wasting money, ohhh and ahhhh I'm so much more refreshed and productive.

My company had a 2 year mandatory WFH, but a lot of us were itching to go back. There's only so many awful MS Teams meetings with people who never go on cam and dopey 2 minute icebreaker jokes where everyone on screen is staring in bordeom you can take.

It's funny how you post articles that cite declining productivity AFTER emloyees are forced to return to office. Makes you go, HMMM....

xBlueStonex

It’s just hilarious that WFHers are suddenly claiming working in an office is unproductive - WHEN the entire history of game development pre-covid was done that way and it was never a problem.

The truth is they received the ultimate perk during a once in a lifetime pandemic - being able to watch Netflix in pajamas while moving a mouse all day - and they suddenly can’t fathom the idea of going back into work to work. As if the rest of the working world who doesn’t have a cushy office job hasn’t already. The delusion there is absolutely insane.

Fake

Is not the end of world backing to the office for Chirst sake.

Spending half of the day on social media really do some damage to folks.

You want to ride a horse to work instead of a car?

wtf is that suppose to mean? What a silly comparison to make dude.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s just hilarious that WFHers are suddenly claiming working in an office is unproductive - WHEN the entire history of game development pre-covid was done that way and it was never a problem.

The truth is they received the ultimate perk during a once in a lifetime pandemic - being able to watch Netflix in pajamas while moving a mouse all day - and they suddenly can’t fathom the idea of going back into work to work. As if the rest of the working world who doesn’t have a cushy office job hasn’t already. The delusion there is absolutely insane.
And the funny thing during the past bunch of years of covid WFH, there's been shit loads of game delays and super unfinished games. Worse than usual.

If WFH is so productive vs. office life the games made the past bunch of years should be more on time and polished. Nope.

You will also get a bunch of perma-WFH supporters who did it to themselves. At my work some people did the same thing.... they took advantage of covid home price drops buying up a new house from desperate sellers (who probably lost their job and had to sell at dumped prices), sold their place in the core at a good price banking profit (prices held up) and moved 2 hours away. As crazy as it seems, youd think moving during covid would be last thing on people's minds due to job security and covid germs. But some people moved. So now bosses want them back they are like "I cant. I moved".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's funny how you post articles that cite declining productivity AFTER emloyees are forced to return to office. Makes you go, HMMM....
"I don't want to work harder, lose more hours of my day, keep less of my paycheck, and have a higher stress level."

- An Entitled Baby
Back to work overpaid babies. I knew all the pay bumps workers everywhere were demanding wouldnt lead to better work.
This resulted from a 3.0% increase in hours worked and just a 0.02% increase in output. Also, unit labor costs increased by 6.3% and compensation upped 3.4%.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is not the end of world backing to the office for Chirst sake.

Spending half of the day on social media really do some damage to folks.
Also, with techie people doing game code and art which surely can be large files, doesn't anyone who does any kind of job (not just game industry people) involving big files being downloaded or uploaded want to be in the office?

I just use finance and MS software from home and even these files can be a slog uploading, downloading and saving on the corporate servers from home VPN style. At the office it is super fast you dont even notice it. its always so much faster, more efficient and the connection is more stable at the office.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
As somebody who started WFM a couple years ago, I have no desire to ever return full time to the office or at the very least would go for a Hybrid position. Your personal and financial benefits from being able to WFM or Hybrid are incredible for modern times where everything is so expensive now.

WFM
  • You get extra sleep because you don't have to worry about showering, getting dressed, making breakfast, and commuting to work.
  • You don't have to pretend to be busy when your work load is light. If you get your work done early, you get to enjoy the rest of your afternoon.
  • Less stress.

Work in Office
  • A portion of your paycheck has to go to gas money for transportation, or public transportation.
  • Morning and Afternoon communicate can account for up to 3 hours of your day, depending on the individual.
  • You'll likely have to crunch harder and at least put on the act of a better performance, leading to higher stress level.
  • If you have a baby/toddler you'll have to put them in daycare fulltime, which in Massachusetts can cost an average $1,500 a month (that's on the lower end btw). If you can't afford it, either you or your partner have to quit their job to be a stay at home parent.

Now I completely understand the notion of having your employees work in office 1-2 times a week for things like Team Building, Meetings, Presentations, etc. But considering all the points above, why the fuck would any person who's been WFM for the past 1-3 years, ever have the desire to return to office full time? Like how dare they not want to go back to being miserable like us.

I can confidently say I've been just as productive in the house since I started WFM, and I'm a lot more happier these days.

Happy If You Say So GIF

Shubh_C63

I am so glad reading gaf comments on this because my initial thought was gaf gonna criticize the corporation not the employees.
I don't like WFH at all, and having an option to have 2 day WFH in a week sounds so good.

No wonder people employ indians because they would work till their bone turn to dust for money.

StereoVsn

Also, with techie people doing game code and art which surely can be large files, doesn't anyone who does any kind of job (not just game industry people) involving big files being downloaded or uploaded want to be in the office?

I just use finance and MS software from home and even these files can be a slog uploading, downloading and saving on the corporate servers from home VPN style. At the office it is super fast you dont even notice it. its always so much faster, more efficient and the connection is more stable at the office.
From performance perspective, it's a giant "it depends". Corporate datacenters can be in a separate place from where people sit so then question is how big is your WAN pipe, local storage, etc...

VPN endponts though are always in a Corp Data center (physically at least, logically it could be quite a different deal). So as an example my fiber connection over VPN to my data repos at work is normally faster then the connection from when I am on premise. It's not cut and dry. Now, I don't usually deal with files larger then a few hundred MB so YMMV, and video editors have local storage in the office.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I am so glad reading gaf comments on this because my initial thought was gaf gonna criticize the corporation not the employees.
I don't like WFH at all, and having an option to have 2 day WFH in a week sounds so good.

No wonder people employ indians because they would work till their bone turn to dust for money.
For me I go to the office 2-3 times a week and it's fine. I'd go more if the CEO asked for it or if other people did too. Not much point going on a Friday when nobody is there except the IT guys doing whatever they do in the server room.

As for Indian crew. My company over the years transitioned a lot of their IT stuff to those Indian IT consultant companies where you meet a bunch of people flown in from India. Our core base of experts are long time employeess of whatever background, but the less critical stuff is all outsourced. No doubt cheap. But hey, they do a fucking good job. Anytime I've submitted my share of IT tickets to fix something as well as our company deploying a new ERP system we hired an Indian company to implement and train us all it's been great. No difference in service than when my IT tickets would be done by US guys at US HQ 10 years ago.

Ok, I admit sometimes its fucking hard to understand what they say (I find their written English is much better than their verbal English), but overall solid jobs. And every one I've spoken to or met in person are super nice people too. I dont even think they grind themselves to the bone to do all the IT shit. They just do the job and fix errors and help develop new tools.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
From performance perspective, it's a giant "it depends". Corporate datacenters can be in a separate place from where people sit so then question is how big is your WAN pipe, local storage, etc...

VPN endponts though are always in a Corp Data center (physically at least, logically it could be quite a different deal). So as an example my fiber connection over VPN to my data repos at work is normally faster then the connection from when I am on premise. It's not cut and dry. Now, I don't usually deal with files larger then a few hundred MB so YMMV, and video editors have local storage in the office.
Good point.

For us, it's probably a slog because all of us log in as Canadian employees but all our main tools and shit are US based. You can tell because even I log into the net and check out websites, the default region will be the region our US HQ is. So even something simple like checking out a retailer website, it'll default me to a US zip code instead of a local Canadian postal code. I dont know how it exactly all works despite what you said, but all I know is VPN from home = downloading reports, and saving/uploading files takes a while. But if I dock into my spot at work, everything is way faster.

Phase

Oh man, more articles made to draw sympathy out of me for devs and their "hard work conditions." I'll say it plainly. I don't give a fuck. Many many jobs are far harder than being a dev. Your job is to make fun interesting games for the consumer. That's it. If it's so hard quit and find something else.

skyfall

You're making a creative collaborative project, you need to be in the same room talking with eachother and giving immediate feedback to eachother.

Sushi_Combo

Yeah, their work culture is absolutely toxic over there. So glad to be working in a first world country with proper safeguards in place to avoid these poor working conditions.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You're making a creative collaborative project, you need to be in the same room talking with eachother and giving immediate feedback to eachother.
I do finance. Getting immediate feedback on tasks (doesnt matter if it's a solo task or a team task) is always easier at the office. My colleagues and I bounce ideas off each other all the time, including calling each other over to show each other stuff. You cant do that easily using online MS Teams or whatever because you need to be able to get everyone together and it's harder to share and dictate to someone changes on screen. I can easily round up a couple into my office and show them something. Doing that online requires them to actually be there or feel like answering. The online guy might be there but if he doesn't want to answer you till tomorrow, there's nothing you can do about it except wait. Or he cant answer you because the guy is grocery shopping at 2 pm, or has adjusted his WFH hours to be when he feels like working. One day it's 9-5, another it's 10-6, another day it's 9-12 and then does the rest after dinner 8-midnight. With WFH people you never know when they are and arent available.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
And the funny thing during the past bunch of years of covid WFH, there's been shit loads of game delays and super unfinished games. Worse than usual.
Most companies weren't prepared to deal with work from home and had to restructure everything which cut heavily into productivity. I work in IT enterprise and we had to do things like deploying new MDMs and remote management tools, install new firewalls and servers to handle the heavier and more distant network traffic, pay for higher tier of products for more cloud storage, etc. That's in addition to all the equipment people needed to take him, the subsidized office hardware, adapting to new schedules, etc. This took months for some companies to get right but once they did, the productivity was more or less back to normal.

That's some top tier corporate shilling. Literally accusing the employees wanting to work from home because they want to be lazy and not work. If you commute 30 minutes per day, that's 5 hours in a regular work week. 5 unpaid hours. Imagine bitching that people want these hours back. No need to pay for gas, no need to pay for transportation, much easier work/life balance that leads to happier employees who like their jobs more but that's unreasonable to want that.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of stupid takes and corporate shilling that goes on on Gaf.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Ubisoft CEO "hmm.."

> Be Ubisoft
> Hire indians and create indian studio for better work ethic and quality for cheap
> Put them in charge of beloved franchise remake
> ???
> Profit

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Most companies weren't prepared to deal with work from home and had to restructure everything which cut heavily into productivity. I work in IT enterprise and we had to do things like deploying new MDMs and remote management tools, install new firewalls and servers to handle the heavier and more distant network traffic, pay for higher tier of products for more cloud storage, etc. That's in addition to all the equipment people needed to take him, the subsidized office hardware, adapting to new schedules, etc. This took months for some companies to get right but once they did, the productivity was more or less back to normal.

That's some top tier corporate shilling. Literally accusing the employees wanting to work from home because they want to be lazy and not work. If you commute 30 minutes per day, that's 5 hours in a regular work week. 5 unpaid hours. Imagine bitching that people want these hours back. No need to pay for gas, no need to pay for transportation, much easier work/life balance that leads to happier employees who like their jobs more but that's unreasonable to want that.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of stupid takes and corporate shilling that goes on on Gaf.
The vast majority of people wanting WFH perks have never been promoted in self-interest ways so blatantly (save money and get more hours back to personal life). Those are obvious perks anyone would see regardless.

However, the key points trying to prove to management WFH is better is because it makes people so much more refreshed and they can focus on their job being better at it. So it's a scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. Save me commute time and I'll do a better job. Since you did IT implementations and have seen it all the way through, are you saying comparing the before and after that WFH lead to better quality?

I never saw it at my company. I'd say some things are worse because a lot of tasks or memos are done either by email or MS teams conference calls. The data is there. You just got to read or listen online. But a lot of people seem clueless because they arent paying attention. But when it's in person and a board room meeting you got to sit through slides, people seem to get it more IMO because they cant help it but sit there and listen.

You can tell a lot of people dont pay attention to online calls. The best one (which a lot pf people laughed at afterwards), was some lamebrain asking what the dates were this and that. The host had a slide on screen showing the dates. But he just didnt get around to talking about it yet since he was answering other questions. But you could tell the online person was probably doing emails or something else and purely listening, and not watching the slides presented.

Last edited:
I do finance. Getting immediate feedback on tasks (doesnt matter if it's a solo task or a team task) is always easier at the office. My colleagues and I bounce ideas off each other all the time, including calling each other over to show each other stuff. You cant do that easily using online MS Teams or whatever because you need to be able to get everyone together and it's harder to share and dictate to someone changes on screen. I can easily round up a couple into my office and show them something. Doing that online requires them to actually be there or feel like answering. The online guy might be there but if he doesn't want to answer you till tomorrow, there's nothing you can do about it except wait. Or he cant answer you because the guy is grocery shopping at 2 pm, or has adjusted his WFH hours to be when he feels like working. One day it's 9-5, another it's 10-6, another day it's 9-12 and then does the rest after dinner 8-midnight. With WFH people you never know when they are and arent available.

Corporate finance is the exact opposite of a role that would need high collaboration in most scenarios. It's not a creative role and it's pretty rote.

You can also have the concept of "core hours" for remote jobs.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Good point.

For us, it's probably a slog because all of us log in as Canadian employees but all our main tools and shit are US based. You can tell because even I log into the net and check out websites, the default region will be the region our US HQ is. So even something simple like checking out a retailer website, it'll default me to a US zip code instead of a local Canadian postal code. I dont know how it exactly all works despite what you said, but all I know is VPN from home = downloading reports, and saving/uploading files takes a while. But if I dock into my spot at work, everything is way faster.
Oh yeah, you are f-d due to latency most likely. Can do a quick traceroute to see it or network capture.

Really if you have a lot of Canadian employees, your company should o a co-loc rental in a daacenter in say Toronto and then channel that traffic over backend network. But anyways, that's a complex topic and can get a bit $$$.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Corporate finance is the exact opposite of a role that would need high collaboration in most scenarios. It's not a creative role and it's pretty rote.

You can also have the concept of "core hours" for remote jobs.
It's not creative in terms of drawing things or making sure monster art fits the story, but there's still a team concept because it's important things are done right and anything involving any of us rolling up to account or divisional levels into a Canada regional level needs an agreed upon methodology so we can combine our results easily in one analysis. if we do shit our own way it'll be a disaster.

As for creative stuff like gaming, its sound like a collaborative kind of product involving what stuff should look like, how things should work, some director giving the orders and looking things over etc.... And thats why gaming should be more office based. So having everyone together makes sense.

Last edited:

Codeblew

I got a new job a couple months back. I am supposed to go to the office 1-2 times per week. I haven't been back since my first day and I don't plan on ever going in unless there is a specific reason I need to be there. Nobody on my team cares and most only go in if they have to test something on some specific hardware.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Most people working from home I would argue aren’t performing at same level as their in office self.

Sucks for those who can genuinely do it and do it well, but that’s how it is for 99% of the work force in the world. They aren’t special.

Filben

Abuse allegations is one thing you should be concerned about.

But... two office days per week, "noisy calls" whatever the fuck that means, and game cancellation? That's what's bugging you? How do these people cope with life in general?

I get it, I don't like big crowds and noise as well; I'm already pissed getting of the central station in a metropolis because I don't like masses of people. Hence I don't get a job where I work back to back with 100 people.

timothet

WFM
  • Less stress.

Work in Office

I was about to write similar post to yours, so thanks for saving me some time. You summed it up pretty well. I've been working remotely for almost 10 years now and there is almost zero chance I would want to return to on site work. Maybe if it came with substancial raise to offset transit cost and time, but even then I would rather find another remote work. I see in this thread that a lot of people never worked remotely, so they have no idea how of a lifechanger remote work can be.

As for productivity, I'm speaking from personal experience that I'm much more productive when I'm working from home. I know that the faster I'm done with my task the faster I can return to doing personal stuff rather than pretending to work.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Yikes reading some of the comments in here.
Yes, working from home is a big deal and I don't blame them for not wanting to go back to the office. You save time and money by working from home. I'm glad I still get to WFH 100% of the time and I hope they're able to work this out.

Top Bottom