• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 is looking like one of the most eventful years for Playstation in a while

I understand Elden Ring since we've seen gameplay, but how can a game where we got one weird screenshot be your most anticipated game?

-Brand new IP
-Unlimited Budget
-in-Game/Engine Trailer looked great
-The fact we don't know much about it also makes it more exciting (at least for me)

P.S. I dislike Elder Scrolls but I enjoyed Fallout 3. Never played Fallout 4, skipped 76.

Everything I've heard about Starfield so far sounds promising, and I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
3 of the 4 games you cite as "3rd party" are Sony 1st party games - Detroit, The Order, and Death Stranding.

Also... 2015 batman and of all possibilities... ass creed? cmon lol
Kojima is not a Sony developer.
RAD is literally owned by Facebook
Quantic dream is not a Sony developer.

The argument was that Sony studios are the best when it comes to graphics. These gifs show that’s not the case.

kyliethicc

2024 is easily viable. Last of Us is just a remake. Factions is a multiplayer game made by the separate multiplayer team and already has been in development for a while. 2024 would be 4 years after Last of Us 2. Remember Naughty Dog has expanded since then as well. The gap between Unchartd 4 and Last of Us 2 was also 4 years and they had Lost Legacy expansion between then.
Yeah except..

1 - Big blockbuster singleplayer PS5 games will take even longer to make.
2 - They began early work on TLOU2 in 2014, and it was a known sequel.
3 - Their next singleplayer game is most likely a new IP, and those usually take longer.
4 - TLOU multiplayer isn't being made by a separate team. Evan Wells said they don't have multiple big teams. 1 game at a time.
5 - Factor in a loss in productivity / efficiency due to working from home for periods of development, unlike past games.

Whatever their next singleplayer game is, it won't go into full production until after they ship their ports and the multiplayer game. Add on about 2.5-3 years after that starts. So that's roughly 2022-2023 start date to 2025-2026 release.

Only caveat here is they could simply be making another Uncharted: The Lost Legacy game. Like an 8-10 hour new Uncharted. That could definitely be made faster. Its possible too, since Lost Legacy's creative director returned to Naughty Dog last year. And we know Sony had Bend Studio doing early design ideas on a new Uncharted. It would certainly be the safe option. Just gotta wait and see.

kyliethicc

Where are their beautiful games that are not funded, co-developed, and published by Sony?

The Star Wars Eclipse CG trailer looked nice sure, but that wasn't realtime.

The argument was that Sony studios are the best when it comes to graphics. These gifs show that’s not the case.
Overall PlayStation Studios are the best right now in terms of visual fidelity.

Doesn't mean they have a monopoly. More like, a controlling interest.

SlimySnake

I agree with RDR2 but...did you just include Death Stranding? The game uses a Sony engine...and Detroit was created with Sony money and control quality. Since they left their Sony collaboration they have been having trouble ever since.

Cyberpunk in there...I won't even mention. Let's stop pretending that game is some sort of benchmark. Sony would never release a game in that state. Game looks good when it works... sometimes.

A tech demo is not a final game. By the time something like that Matrix demo is released in 2023 / 2024 Sony will have stuff looking like that as well.

Final Fantasy VIIRemake had great character models but the game itself suffered a lot and was awfully optimized for a corridor game. And those jpeg backgrounds were honestly comedy. Plus the amount of assets that never fully loaded. Sony would never release a game in that state.

The other games are either at the same level or can't reach stuff like TLOU2. The only game that's either at that level or better is RDR2.
Cyberpunk on PC looks absolutely amazing. I purposefully included a gif comparing it to the reveal and how it actually looks better. People really be to play it on PC before dissing it.

As for ff7, i think all games have issues. Sony has released plenty of games with bugs. Days gone, and Returnal come to mind. Returnal crashes actually cost me 6 hours of progress simply due to how long those runs took. I’m also not going to dismiss linear games. Sony devs made their name on linear games. Ff7 looks insane during the story missions. It does look bad in hub worlds i agree, but even tlou2 looks rough in some spots.

SLB1904

Banned
Where are their beautiful games that are not funded, co-developed, and published by Sony?

The Star Wars Eclipse CG trailer looked nice sure, but that wasn't realtime.

Overall PlayStation Studios are the best right now in terms of visual fidelity.

Doesn't mean they have a monopoly. More like, a controlling interest.
You fell for a low tier bait

RAD wasn't owned by Facebook when they did The Order and the game was made in collaboration with Sony Santa Monica, a Sony studio. It wasn't them alone.

Kojima used an engine created by a Sony studio and Sony funded the game. How can you pretend those 2 things are not hugely impactful when talking about graphics? Death Stranding literally wouldn't exist without Sony.

Both games alongside Detroit were released under Sony's approval and seal of quality, with their engines, budget, timings, etc...

Graphic fidelity like Sony games isn't achieved with talent alone. It's time consuming, it's expensive, and more than decent tools are needed.

ManaByte

From this month until May I'm getting:
Uncharted Collection
Horizon
Elden Ring
GT7
Stranger in Paradise
Forspoken

No Money Confused Travolta GIF

And I bought Endwalker PS5 yesterday.

kyliethicc

You fell for a low tier bait
Nah the sad bit is he genuinely believes what he says lol

RAD wasn't owned by Facebook when they did The Order and the game was made in collaboration with Sony Santa Monica, a Sony studio. It wasn't them alone.

Kojima used an engine created by a Sony studio and Sony funded the game. How can you pretend those 2 things are not hugely impactful when talking about graphics? Death Stranding literally wouldn't exist without Sony.

Both games alongside Detroit were released under Sony's approval and seal of quality, with their engines, budget, timings, etc...
And the best part is he used a clip of Death Stranding's cinematics that are mo-capped and animated by Sony's Visual Arts team (and of course using Guerrilla's engine.) Visual Arts did the cinematics on The Order and Detroit too. Lots of Sony PDSG devs helped on all 3 of those games.

Its not like Sony just cut the check. Their support teams are world class. Especially PDSG Visual Arts. They are the ILM of games.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Graphic fidelity like Sony games isn't achieved with talent alone. It's time consuming, it's expensive, and more than decent tools are needed.
Come on man. I cant handle kojima getting dissed like that. The guy has been producing cutting edge AAA graphics since 1998. He's in a league of his own. To say he's only good because of Sony is an insult to his legacy.

I have no idea what a publisher has to do with a studio being a graphical powerhouse. Should we bow down to Konami because they were the ones funding Kojima's MGS games? Should we put Take2 on a pedestal because Rockstar games are so good looking? Is Bobby Kotick responsible for Infinity Ward's modern warfare looking better than all CODs released since? Should we blame him for newer CoD's looking like shit? I mean he does own all studios. Tencent owns so many studios now, whats next? We are going to thank corrupt chinese conglomerates if the next Bungie or Quantic Dream game ends up looking great?

Nah, it's the studios that make a game look great. RAD was always a talented studio. They made two of the best looking PSP games. Let's not take credit away from devs who pour their sweat and blood by working 80 hour weeks and give it to Jimbo.

From this month until May I'm getting:
Uncharted Collection
Horizon
Elden Ring
GT7
Stranger in Paradise
Forspoken

No Money Confused Travolta GIF

And I bought Endwalker PS5 yesterday.

There are so many games coming out in feb and march that I’ve already started buying them last year.

So far I’ve preordered horizon, Gran Turismo, Sifu…about to order Elden ring, Stranger in Paradise, next week. I’m also getting triangle strategy

tmlDan

There are so many games coming out in feb and march that I’ve already started buying them last year.

So far I’ve preordered horizon, Gran Turismo, Sifu…about to order Elden ring, Stranger in Paradise, next week. I’m also getting triangle strategy
I did the exact same thing, im preordering games on a monthly basis cause i don't want to shell out $300 in a month lol

Ozriel

M$FT

We had this conversation earlier…I try not to second-guess other people’s purchases but while your list is otherwise extremely solid, I’m still not sure why you’re completely sold on Stranger in Paradise to the extent of a preorder.

I haven’t played the demo, but i thought the general impression was that it was kinda average?

No offense intended. Just curious.

We had this conversation earlier…I try not to second-guess other people’s purchases but while your list is otherwise extremely solid, I’m still not sure why you’re completely sold on Stranger in Paradise to the extent of a preorder.

I haven’t played the demo, but i thought the general impression was that it was kinda average?

No offense intended. Just curious.

Answer: i played both demo’s and enjoyed them

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
2nd year of PS consoles is always amazing. 1996 (NA) was a good year, probably too much to list off. 2001 was an amazing year and also talked about quite often. 2015 had some gems to it. 2021 is hopefully just as good. Even though it’s multi platform, my most anticipated game is coming out this year. Even if you consider multiplatform, year 2 is when things start to get good.

Tarkus98

Uncharted is just a port so not too much resources went on that. Last of Us 2 Remastered would be another quick port. As for Last of Us Remake they took over development for that game from another studio and remakes usually don't take as long to make as new games. Finally Factions was in development for a while and it's usually the multiplayer team that deals with that. So basically after 2022 I'd expect as new Naughty Dog IP, even as early as 2023.
Man, fingers crossed.

Tarkus98

-Brand new IP
-Unlimited Budget
-in-Game/Engine Trailer looked great
-The fact we don't know much about it also makes it more exciting (at least for me)

P.S. I dislike Elder Scrolls but I enjoyed Fallout 3. Never played Fallout 4, skipped 76.

Everything I've heard about Starfield so far sounds promising, and I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.
I am kinda hoping that Elden Ring is somewhat of a spiritual successor to Kingsfield. Probably waaay off but fuck a man can dream.

Speaking of 2022 Sony...apparently they are starting the year with some big PS5 shipments for Japan with some long lines to go with it:

The fact these pictures look like a console launch...but it's a console that's been "available" for over a year is depressing as hell. Hopefully Japan is not as forgotten throughout the year. Anyway...some healthy shipments for this month hopefully.

I am kinda hoping that Elden Ring is somewhat of a spiritual successor to Kingsfield. Probably waaay off but fuck a man can dream.
I would argue that Elden Ring is a spiritual succesor to Dark Souls than anything else. Even the combat system I believe From Software said is an evolution of Dark Souls 3. Elden Ring is basically Dark Souls 4 with a new name and universe, it's the way I see it.

Also, isn't Kingsfield first person? I never played.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Fable - Official Announce Trailer

Marvel’s Avengers – beta details, playable Hawkeye, and Fortnite collaboration announced

Digital Foundry - Cyberpunk 2077 PC Version First Impressions

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Review Thread

Digital Foundry - Cyberpunk 2077: PS4 vs PS4 Pro Frame-Rate Tests - Can Consoles Run Cyberpunk?

Star Wars: Fallen Order |OT| I have a gooood feeling about this

Days Gone: DF PC Tech Review + Graphics/Performance Thread

Just a quick search, btw.

Seems like you have a problem with PS guys calling PS exclusives one of the best looking video games out.

Bruv you just pinned him against the wall LMAO!!!

Premier League Lol GIF by Liverpool FC

Last edited:

Tarkus98

I would argue that Elden Ring is a spiritual succesor to Dark Souls than anything else. Even the combat system I believe From Software said is an evolution of Dark Souls 3. Elden Ring is basically Dark Souls 4 with a new name and universe, it's the way I see it.

Also, isn't Kingsfield first person? I never played.
Yeah it’s first person. I was just thinking in the general sense of the open world but you’re right I do remember reading somewhere about the combat system.
Dreams dashed dammit.

Speaking of 2022 Sony...apparently they are starting the year with some big PS5 shipments for Japan with some long lines to go with it:

The fact these pictures look like a console launch...but it's a console that's been "available" for over a year is depressing as hell. Hopefully Japan is not as forgotten throughout the year. Anyway...some healthy shipments for this month hopefully.

Makes sense, a lot of big japanese games coming out soon.

kyliethicc

Fable - Official Announce Trailer

Marvel’s Avengers – beta details, playable Hawkeye, and Fortnite collaboration announced

Digital Foundry - Cyberpunk 2077 PC Version First Impressions

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Review Thread

Digital Foundry - Cyberpunk 2077: PS4 vs PS4 Pro Frame-Rate Tests - Can Consoles Run Cyberpunk?

Star Wars: Fallen Order |OT| I have a gooood feeling about this

Days Gone: DF PC Tech Review + Graphics/Performance Thread

Just a quick search, btw.

Seems like you have a problem with PS guys calling PS exclusives one of the best looking video games out.
2nemfKk.gif

I’m pretty sure Helldivers 2 is releasing this year as it was on the GeForce leak. It also looks to be getting a Returnal style AAA overhaul

The Stockholm-based studio, known for their uncompromising game mechanics and intense cooperative gameplay, are well underway on their next project: a 3rd person shooter featuring next-gen graphics, innovative co-op and agency for the community to alter the course of the game. This AAA game will share the satirical humor that fans of the studio's previous games know and love.

They were teasing it in october of last year, maybe they just didnt have a trailer ready for the showcase

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I’m pretty sure Helldivers 2 is releasing this year as it was on the GeForce leak. It also looks to be getting a Returnal style AAA overhaul

They were teasing it in october of last year, maybe they just didnt have a trailer ready for the showcase

Yeah seems like its real. Hope so at least. I love Helldivers.

The October 26 thing is their yearly Helldivers fan day anniversary or whatever they call it. Could def be a tease of the plot of Helldivers 2.

But the obvious signs to me, besides the Nvidia leak, is that Arrowhead are suddenly making their first ever AAA game and looking to expand. They're making a next gen game but can't say who's publishing. Basically its the same situation as Housemarque was in before they revealed Returnal.

And Arrowhead have spent the last 6 years supporting Helldivers, a Sony game. Hard to explain how Arrowhead's been paying the bills for so long without putting out a new game - unless Sony has been funding them to keep updating Helldivers. Its not like Helldivers has sold that well.

SLB1904

Banned
helldivers was so good. was so fun get in the vehicle and mayhem through the map, although that game was kinda hard late levels lol

Top Bottom