• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 is looking like one of the most eventful years for Playstation in a while

I was just thinking how basically everything will be happening for Playstation next year.

This topic isn't just about game releases. It's about all things Playstation that we can expect for in 2021...and it's quite a lot when you think about it. A lot more than 2021.

Videogames:

So far this is what we got confirmed:

January - Uncharted Collection
February - Horizon, Sifu
March - Gran Turismo 7
May - Forspoken

Games already announced for 2022 but with no release dates (incl. timed exclusives):
God of War Ragnarok
Stray
Ghostwire: Tokyo

Games not yet announced but that will for sure happen:
TLOU2 Director's Cut *
TLOU Remake *
Factions
(PS4 and PS5) *

It's possible games like FFXVI are releasing even though i believe this one will be delayed to 2023. If it does release in 2022 then sweet jesus. Imagine getting a new Gran Turismo, a new main Final Fantasy game and sequels for titles such as God of War and Horizon all within 12 months.

But 2022 will honestly be a lot more than just games.

Movies and TV Shows:

2022 will be the most important year for Sony's Playstation Productions so far. They are releasing one big blockbuster movie and one TV show. Both are based on IPs from the same studio: Naughty Dog:

February - Uncharted Movie
Later - The Last Us Us TV Show (HBO)

* I truly believe the reason we haven't seen TLOU2 Director's Cut yet is because of everything that's being worked on for this franchise. They won't waste the TV show's hype to give us everything TLOU related: the multiplayer game, the remake that's been in the works for a while and the Director's Cut of the 2nd game like we got for Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding.

If games, tv shows and movies isn't enough, we're also getting another thing...

Playstation VR 2:

That's right: Playstation VR2 is releasing in 2022 for PS5. And with it, i'm sure some games are also releasing, which means some reveals are happening during 2022 as well.

The Biggest PSPlus and PS Now rebranding so far, code-named Spartacus:

Earlier this month, Bloomberg released an article revealing Sony's plans to rebrand PS Now and PS Plus into a single service. Supposedly it's releasing this next spring.

This is what Jason reported:

When it launches, expected in the spring, the service will merge Sony’s two existing subscription plans, PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now. Currently, PlayStation Plus is required for most online multiplayer games and offers free monthly titles, while PlayStation Now allows users to stream or download older games. Documents reviewed by Bloomberg suggest that Sony plans to retain the PlayStation Plus branding but phase out PlayStation Now.

Details on Spartacus may still not be finalized, but documentation reviewed by Bloomberg outlines a service with three tiers. The first would include existing PlayStation Plus benefits. The second would offer a large catalog of PlayStation 4 and, eventually, PlayStation 5 games. The third tier would add extended demos, game streaming and a library of classic PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP games.

Eurogamer (i think?) also teased that services like Crunchyroll could be a part of the 3rd tier of this service. And not only are we getting so many new games we may potentially be getting PS3, PS2 and PSOne games on a current console again. If well done it's a no-brainer for me (depending on the price of course).

Playstation + Discord:

Sony made such a big deal with this that i believe it's more than just a simple discord integration...but not long until we find out more.

The way this collaboration was announced seems like it'll happen sooner rather than later in 2022:

Together, our teams are already hard at work connecting Discord with your social and gaming experience on PlayStation Network. Our goal is to bring the Discord and PlayStation experiences closer together on console and mobile starting early next year, allowing friends, groups, and communities to hang out, have fun, and communicate more easily while playing games together.

More Studio Acquisitions + Continuing growth for their remaining studios and partnerships:

2021 saw Sony acquiring 4 studios, 1 studio mainly for ports and one last studio that will be used as a support studio for their developers. All of this in 7 months. Their acquisitions so far have been very strategic and many of them quite obvious like Housemarque and Bluepoint. That said, the Firesprite acquisition was a bit of a surprise and it's now one of their biggest studios out of nowhere, and it's now developing at least 2 or 3 games. Exciting days ahead.

About future acquisitions, we know they won't stop here. Recently they had job-listings looking for someone with experience in acquisitions, right after all the studios had been acquired. Plus it has been teased by Herman himself.

About partnerships, specially in Asia, Sony hired someone rather curious that seems to be going to help with that:

Sony Interactive Entertainment announced it has hired the the former CEO of Capcom USA and Europe Kiichiro Urata as the the senior vice president and head of the Japan Asia Partner Development & Relations Division.

Urata was the CEO of Capcom USA and Europe from September 2011 until August 2021.
Sounds like a huge get for a market that clearly needs it.

About their already established studios, at the moment a lot of their studios are working in multiple projects at the same time which they weren't 5 years ago. Sony doesn't want their studios "stuck" with a single project for more than half a decade now. Naughty Dog is working in god knows how many: TLOU remake, Factions, the PS5 version of the Uncharted Collection and sometime ago they were working supposedly on a new IP. Insomniac is working in at least 2 projects: Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine. Guerrila is also working in 2 projects: Horizon and a multiplayer project. Sony Santa Monica is doing God of War Ragnarok and Cory's new project is also underway. I only mentioned 4 studios...but at least 10 games from them are coming. And their hiring spree isn't really ending any time soon.

PC releases + Mobile games:

It's not a secret that Sony wants more people to play their games. In a time budgets could potentially hit $150M per title, it makes no sense to rely only on a single piece of hardware to play those nowadays, specially with the chip-shortage we have at the moment. The movies and tv shows are only one piece of the puzzle. The PC releases of Horizon, Days Gone, Death Stranding and the future release of Uncharted is the first step. Nixees was hired for this. What projects do you expect to find their way to PCs next year?

About mobile games...i'm not into that market honestly, but obviously Sony wants a piece of that pie.

Just recently they they hired someone for the job...and sounds like a huge get:

PlayStation has apparently hired former Apple Arcade content boss Nicola Sebastiani as part of an effort to bring its vast library of blockbuster first-party titles to mobile phones. Although the PlayStation brand is going strong with the success of the PS5, PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan has recently expressed a desire to branch out into other platforms, citing frustration at the age-old roadblock of console exclusivity preventing more players from enjoying PlayStation games.

According to Nicola Sebastiani’s LinkedIn profile, PlayStation hired the former Apple Arcade head of content in July for the mobile games-related job position that was being offered up a few months prior. Previous reports stated that this "head of mobile” would be stationed at the company’s California offices in San Mateo or Los Angeles, and will be responsible for developing a product roadmap for the next three to five years. So far, Sony has yet to officially confirm hiring Sebastiani, but the update to his page seems authentic.

Overall:

2022 sounds like they are giving us everything: Games, new hardware, movies, tv shows, the rebrand of Playstation's online subscriptions, acquisitions, etc...

I'm sure i'm missing stuff, but when you put it like this...2022 will be one hell of a year for Playstation. Just the games alone would be enough, but it sounds like a lot of their strategies will be finally put in place this next year.

What are you most excited about for the next 12 months Playstation related?

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
2022 is looking amazing. Sony is doing big things for sure. I can hardly wait
puff daddy greatness GIF by Diddy

Yeah a lot of great stuff on top of unannounced stuff like what will be released the second half of the year, future acquisitions or building new studios, 2023 games, firmware updates/features…etc

Will be a far more exciting year than 2021

That sucks. I don't see how it competes with oculus in that case.

It doesn’t really have to compete with the oculus just like the playstation doesn’t ahve to compete with the switch. They serve two different markets. People aren’t gonna be buying PSVR2 just to play beat saber. They want high quality AAA gaming experiences, not an upscaled resident evil 4 port.

If anything PSVR2 is more inline with PCVR

Last edited:
Definitely be interesting to see what type of acquisitions they'll make next year

Don't think anyone expected them to acquire so many in such a short span. Figured they'd just cruise along

In what way stuff like this lags behind the PS5 exclusive Ratchet & Clank?

I swear all you guys were really excited with that original Horizon Forbidden West trailer or Miles Morales and screaming "THIS IS NEXT GEN" until the PS4 versions were announced, lmao.

The irony is Forbidden West and Ragnarok are guaranteed to look better than almost all the announced next gen only games next year

In what way stuff like this lags behind the PS5 exclusive Ratchet & Clank?

I swear all you guys were really excited with that original Horizon Forbidden West trailer or Miles Morales and screaming "THIS IS NEXT GEN" until the PS4 versions were announced, lmao.

He doesn't actually care. Just thread shitting like usual. Mods will take care of him soon enough with that level of subtly

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Nice work OP. You forgot to mention they are supposedly launching their answer to Gamepass too this year. We’ve no idea what this will consist of mind, but I really hope rumours aren’t true regarding a tiered subscription model.

T0minator

I feel like 2020 was a great year for PlayStation.

PS5 reveal /launch

Releasing:
Ghost of Tsushima
The Last of Us 2
Spiderman Miles Morales
Dreams
Demon's Souls
Astros Playroom (for free)

2022 is looking like it could be as good if both Horizon Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok do better than GoT and TLOU2. I'm sure they will review wise and sales wise they'll do great. I'm hoping Sony isn't as quiet as they were in 2021...it was almost annoying how quiet they were

Last edited:
I feel like 2020 was a great year for PlayStation.

PS5 reveal /launch

Releasing:
Ghost of Tsushima
The Last of Us 2
Spiderman Miles Morales
Demon's Souls
Astros Playroom (for free)

2022 is looking like it could be as good if both Horizon Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok do better than GoT and TLOU2. I'm sure they will review wise and sales wise they'll do great. I'm hoping Sony isn't as quiet as they were in 2021...it was almost annoying how quiet they were
And Dreams, people always leave it out but its sitting at an 89 on metacritic. One of the best reviewed games of the year

BlackM1st

Banned

Jim Carrey What GIF

I was never excited about neither lmao

And I'm sure as F didn't bought PS5 day 1 to be excited about discord or xgen Spidey DLC.

I played both Spidey 1 and HZD on my PS4 Pro. Both completed on max difficulty. Bought HZD dlc, never started it.

reksveks

It doesn’t really have to compete with the oculus just like the playstation doesn’t ahve to compete with the switch. They serve two different markets. People aren’t gonna be buying PSVR2 just to play beat saber. They want high quality AAA gaming experiences, not an upscaled resident evil 4 port.

I suspect one market is alot bigger than the other. Also there is an overlap given the 36% of the vr headsets used by steam users is the quest 2.

Hobbygaming

1st party? And tbh game looks kinda empty. Maybe it's just too early.
I was posting a moving goalpost gif but you did say 1st party. They should drop crossgen but their games will still impress in 2022

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

What? It's 1st party? And it's not empty looking? What exactly I said is factually wrong? Read my post which you quoted lmao

So I'm not the only one who knows what 1st party means. Neat.
Yeah yeah, I want PS5-only games more than anyone but at least they already have some with more on the way 1st party or 3rd

The crossgen stuff still looks good for being crossgen

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
God i cant wait for TLOU 2 Directors cut and the HBO show.

Hope directors cut is a native PS5 version but I doubt it (they have had a lot of time though)

Hobbygaming

2022 is looking better than a lot of years already

God of War Ragnarok
Horizon Forbidden West
Final Fantasy 16 (if it makes it)
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Forspoken
SIFU
Stray
Little Devil Inside

Then stuff that could make 2022

Lost Soul Aside
TLOU remake or TLOU Factions

Elios83

It's crazy seeing people not being excited for GoW Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West just because they're cross gen. Smfh

Only people not excited are the usual Xbox fans you can see in every thread doing console war and trying to damage control and downplay what they know is gonna be a huge year for Sony.
In the real world those games are going to sell 10m units and will be praised everywhere.

See the enjoy Discord guy :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :
So... no 1st party PS5 only games? OK. Enjoy your very eventful year full of discord integrations lmao

Last edited:

ManaByte

Oculus IS PCVR. You can use your Quest 2 wirelessly and play any PCVR game on it.

BlackM1st

Banned
Only people not excited are the usual Xbox fans you can see in every thread doing console war and trying to damage control and downplay what they know is gonna be a huge year for Sony.
In the real world those games are going to sell 10m units and will be praised everywhere.

See the enjoy Discord guy :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :
"See the PS5 day 1 buyer guy who never in his life had an XBOX because he plays on PC" you mean?

Damn pesky PS5 owners refusing to be excited about the sales numbers of xgen ports and wanting exclusive 1st party games for their console of choice!

rockos modern life nicksplat GIF

Current gaming industry is so sad and not fun. Even fanboys are not fun anymore. There is just not enough ammo for the proper console wars.

I kinda miss the good ol days of basic "list wars" where fanboys would post a ridiculously long lists of exclusives (various in quality ofc) trying to one up each other.

It always allowed me to pick the best for my PS consoles and enjoy some of MS offerings on my PC.

Now new big releases are few and rare and it's all about "sales numbers", "eco system ", "S series is good because more people can enjoy it", "xgen makes more money", "exciting discord integrations".

There's just not enough big exclusive games for the list wars. And it's the only thing I care. Not this marketing fluff some people seems to enjoy now days.

2022 another exciting xgen year.

Bored Christopher Walken GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
god-of-war-ragnarok-whzkml.jpg

And this is a simple screen. The amount of high quality textures in here is insane. How can anyone look at this and say "ew it's cross play"? 99% of the games out there can only dream to look this good, lmao.

Ok, y'all are probably gonna accuse me of being a green rate ..

but that screen can very easily pass for God of War 2018 on the Pro in its high resolution mode :p

Of course seeing it in motion will be a different matter altogether.

recursive

"See the PS5 day 1 buyer guy who never in his life had an XBOX because he plays on PC" you mean?

Damn pesky PS5 owners refusing to be excited about the sales numbers of xgen ports and wanting exclusive 1st party games for their console of choice!

rockos modern life nicksplat GIF

Current gaming industry is so sad and not fun. Even fanboys are not fun anymore. There is just not enough ammo for the proper console wars.

I kinda miss the good ol days of basic "list wars" where fanboys would post a ridiculously long lists of exclusives (various in quality ofc) trying to one up each other.

It always allowed me to pick the best for my PS consoles and enjoy some of MS offerings on my PC.

Now new big releases are few and rare and it's all about "sales numbers", "eco system ", "S series is good because more people can enjoy it", "xgen makes more money", "exciting discord integrations".

There's just not enough big exclusive games for the list wars. And it's the only thing I care. Not this marketing fluff some people seems to enjoy now days.

2022 another exciting xgen year.

Bored Christopher Walken GIF
If you play on pc then you must be used to xgen. No such thing has next gen on pc since you can max everything out all the time.

Do you only use your ps5 for 1st party exclusives?

Top Bottom