• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 is looking like one of the most eventful years for Playstation in a while

On Demand

Banned
Prove otherwise?

Thats easy.

What technologies or group of technologies are sony using that makes them superior?

I will tell you now.

Zero.

Sure returnal may have an advanced particle systems.
But flight sim has advanced clouds or metro has RT Gi

Only a fool would say that one game is flat out superior at the moment.

Sony developers have access to Sony’s development tools and departments like VASG, and many others, that gives them an advantage over other developers. Along with having in house talent of course.

Somebody from insomniac awhile back on resetera said that PlayStation has the best development pipeline in the business. From beginning to end. That’s why PlayStation games look and feel so damn polished.

The workflow is very important. Sony is the best at what they do.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Sony developers have access to Sony’s development tools and departments like VASG, and many others, that gives them an advantage over other developers. Along with having in house talent of course.

Somebody from insomniac awhile back on resetera said that PlayStation has the best development pipeline in the business. From beginning to end. That’s why PlayStation games look and feel so damn polished.

The workflow is very important. Sony is the best at what they do.

Thats a different topic. The convo your quoting is talking about technical sophistication of visuals in games.

No game on the same gen and budget is suprior to other games, they will do some things better and some things worse so its silly to make definitive statements that game A has better visuals from a technical standpoint then game B.
It really comes down to preference.

On Demand

Banned
Thats a different topic. The convo your quoting is talking about technical sophistication of visuals in games.

No game on the same gen and budget is suprior to other games, they will do some things better and some things worse so its silly to make definitive statements that game A has better visuals from a technical standpoint then game B.
It really comes down to preference.

No it’s not different. That all attributes to the way a game looks. You can’t be selective about how graphic techniques are made and ignore the myriad of other things that goes on in game development that makes those visuals look they way they do.

Sony’s development workflow and access to development tools is the best there is. Many developers have already said this.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
No it’s not different. That all attributes to the way a game looks. You can’t be selective about how graphic techniques are made and ignore the myriad of other things that goes on in game development that makes those visuals look they way they do.

Sony’s development workflow and access to development tools is the best there is. Many developers have already said this.

How is this relevant when I was not disputing the quality of sonys tools and workflow in the first place, nor was I denying that tools and workflow effect how a game look.

Last edited:

Von Hugh

Over It Dead Ass GIF

PlayStation will still do very well. I remember the early PS4 years with complaints about focusing too much on indies and some early hits and misses like Knack , ShadowFall to Infamous Second Son snd Ratchet Remaster.

Then when the first Horizon hit momentum really started to kick off and the rest speaks for itself.

They also have Naughty Dog and Insomniac and as much as it irks me that the likes of Spider-Man and Wolverine are not on Xbox , the chances are that Insomniac will deliver with those.

Last edited:

kevm3

Sony better get Shu or whoever was running things during PS4 back in charge. Sony got deceived from early profitability, but they are going to get spanked if things don't change up soon. They've also diminished their 'nintendo effect' by putting most of their big exclusives on PC.

On Demand

Banned
What changes in the immediate future? Besides fanboy exaggeratory doom post. Whatever MS is doing changes nothing this thread is about.

PS5 has games right now and the coming months.

I notice MS and Xbox fans are always talking about and waiting for something to happen in some unproven future. You’ve been doing this since MS started buying studios in 2017. All this hype and comeback attitude always dwindles to nothing because it doesn’t mean anything for the reality today. Which Sony is more engaged in.

yurinka

What changes in the immediate future? Besides fanboy exaggeratory doom post. Whatever MS is doing changes nothing this thread is about.

PS5 has games right now and the coming months.

I notice MS and Xbox fans are always talking about and waiting for something to happen in some unproven future. You’ve been doing this since MS started buying studios in 2017. All this hype and comeback attitude always dwindles to nothing because it doesn’t mean anything for the reality today. Which Sony is more engaged in.
PS is getting what Tiago Rodrigues Tiago Rodrigues mentioned in the OP plus a big PS5 Tournament feature (for some reason highlighted at CES), EVO and many exclusive games announced and to be announced. Plus if they are lucky and start to solve the chip shortage issues and are able to increase production, we'll see monster gaming industry historical record sales.

The only change we saw so far in the stuff released after the Zenimax and ABK acquisitions is that Aaron Greenberg now has a Crash Bandicoot Twitter profile image.

Yeah this thread has taken on a whole new meaning now
Yes, now it has more trolls even if nothing of what is mentioned in the OP changed.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah... people trying to invalidate this topic and bumping this just for a "gotcha" moment are embarrassing. MS could buy all 3rd party publishers and the OP would still be entirely valid lmao

Imagine the generic Activision that has been shat on tirelessly by both sides on GAF and every platform, laughed at with every COD installment, is now being treated as if it's well-known for top quality games and THE Sony killer. Wonder why I feel this has happened recently.

200.gif

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
It’s like everyone thinks the next couple years don’t matter? It’s like 18 month clear, will automatically make blizzard/activision projects magically fixed?

It’s a long road where they can’t change anything until deal is final.

So all the restructuring for developing isn’t happy till after this clears. On top of hiring new teams for the new regime and structure.

The potential is there, and going forward the future of A/B looks brighter. But it does not invalidate Sonys first party. Which right now fir 2022-2024 is hitting on all cylinders. I don’t think people understand how well workflows we’re improved from PS4-PS5. Now games can be made faster and more effective because toolsets are so streamlined now.

We technically could have had HORIZON and GT7 in 2021. Meaning games being made in less than 4 years. Which is insane.

It took original horizon 6 years.

Top Bottom