• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 is looking like one of the most eventful years for Playstation in a while

vivftp

They are better off delaying VR2 to 2023 so they can continue to expand the PS5 market before they launch VR2. The extra they can polish the VR games and have a better lineup as well as maybe launch at a better price.

I'd say that's a bit premature considering we don't know what titles they'll have lined up for launch this year and what upgrades will be available for existing games (ie. GT7, RE8...), and what levels of polish they'll have.

The PSVR2 will be sold throughout the gen so why delay it just so they can have a larger potential audience for the launch? Those same potential customers will be able to pick it up once they get their PS5 just the same.

Not to mention studios (first and third party) will have time tables on game launches and the revenue generated by those games. Expecting companies to push that expected revenue to the next year only for the reason of "just because" doesn't seem like good business.

As for better price, Sony's already got a price set and will sell it at that, that's not changing even with a year delay.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
How about you tell other people to stop giving me a hard time because I don't praise their hardware of choice? I stopped posting for the entire year and come back here and give an opinion on people declaring subjective comments to be fact and here we are yet again with multiple pages of fluff trying to make me look bad. Why don't they just give it a rest? I'll be here for awhile so we all might as well get along.
lqRqSw8.jpg

KAL2006

Banned
I'd say that's a bit premature considering we don't know what titles they'll have lined up for launch this year and what upgrades will be available for existing games (ie. GT7, RE8...), and what levels of polish they'll have.

The PSVR2 will be sold throughout the gen so why delay it just so they can have a larger potential audience for the launch? Those same potential customers will be able to pick it up once they get their PS5 just the same.

Not to mention studios (first and third party) will have time tables on game launches and the revenue generated by those games. Expecting companies to push that expected revenue to the next year only for the reason of "just because" doesn't seem like good business.

As for better price, Sony's already got a price set and will sell it at that, that's not changing even with a year delay.

Actually you are right. I completely forgot about current games getting VR modes. I actually expect Gran Turismo 7 to have a big VR focus. One positive of Gran Turismo 7 being cross gen is they can lower graphics to PS4 level and have the entire game be fully VR without a performance hit on PS5. We could get 2 big pushes for Gean Turismo 7 in 1 year, the vanilla launch in March, then the VR update push near the end of the year.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Is a resistance remaster a possibility? Because if so I amend my original statement

There was a rumour, but nothing official yet. Sony and Insomniac know people would love a Resistance trilogy remaster. Whenever they post anything Resistance related on Twitter, they're then bombard with messages of people asking for a trilogy remaster.

I'd say it's a matter of time.

vivftp

Actually you are right. I completely forgot about current games getting VR modes. I actually expect Gran Turismo 7 to have a big VR focus. One positive of Gran Turismo 7 being cross gen is they can lower graphics to PS4 level and have the entire game be fully VR without a performance hit on PS5.

The PSVR has eye tracking and foveated rendering based on all the info we have. There's a decent chance that the game will look just as good on the PSVR2 as it does on a TV screen with all the PS5 bells and whistles.

KAL2006

Banned
It would be cool if the surprise addition for Last of Us Remake is that it has a first person VR mode and launches with PSVR.

vivftp

It would be cool if the surprise addition for Last of Us Remake is that it has a first person VR mode and launches with PSVR.

Yup, that's on my wish list. It'd be a huge addition to the PSVR2 platform and give additional value for those picking up the Remake.

KAL2006

Banned

Definitely a big year for Naughty Dog. Uncharted Collection in January then Uncharted movie in February. The I'm guessing Last of Us Remake + 2 Remastered in October and Last of Us HBO TV series in November. I personally think Factions will release early 2023 to avoid the onslaught of multiplayer games like COD that usually release in the fall, I also think they don't want the main games to take focus away from Factions and it needs it own release. Finally I think if the TV show is popular they would want that extra audience to jump on multiplayer so maybe better to release after the show while the campaign releases before the show.

Rudius

I would be much more interested in God of War and Horizon if they were next gen exclusives. I'm sure they will still be good, but the hype is not the same.

What I'm really hyped for is PSVR2. I haven't bought a Quest or PC headset, so the jump for me will be huge. My most anticipated game for it is Gran Turismo 7.

Rudius

Ok, y'all are probably gonna accuse me of being a green rate ..

but that screen can very easily pass for God of War 2018 on the Pro in its high resolution mode :p

Of course seeing it in motion will be a different matter altogether.
If you play God of War on the Pro you will see it's not worth it for the amount of noise produced. Even if the game were the exact same, on PS5 it would still be better.

kyliethicc

Nah, Sony has plenty of competition.

6qszGFR.gif

tvNANVs.gif

Ux7gs1e.gif

(HiFiGIF.cc)_anthem-every-javelin-ability-and-ultimate-full.gif

FEsm6WBX0AIjZKx

DNUo9reXUAADA2I

Then there are third party devs who managed to create some incredibly amazing looking games on the PS4.
tumblr_pr9eh4DLuO1ucz4cso3_500.gifv

CmP_LDUWEAE7EGu

Dl--AFqU8AAE1po

1b0754d0e0ea07d623f7d14897a5f6472005e373.gifv

This list doesnt even include the new Unreal Engine demos from Epic Games which look a generation if not two generations ahead of anything sony studios have produced in the last few years.
3 of the 4 games you cite as "3rd party" are Sony 1st party games - Detroit, The Order, and Death Stranding.

Also... 2015 batman and of all possibilities... ass creed? cmon lol

Ozriel

M$FT
They are better off delaying VR2 to 2023 so they can continue to expand the PS5 market before they launch VR2. The extra they can polish the VR games and have a better lineup as well as maybe launch at a better price.

Boo this man!

PC. The intent was to rile people up about the PC ports. There's always an ulterior motive.

Ah. In that case, you may proceed with cooking him :)

kyliethicc

Also, your example is misleading:

Death stranding and Detroit have different publishers on PC, While FF7R is published on Sony consoles and PC but Square
1. Final Fantasy VII Remake is published by Square Enix on PS4. Its a 3rd party PS4 game.

2. SIE funded and published both Death Stranding and Detroit Become Human on PS4. 1st party.

3. There is no real 1st party on PC. Its not a closed platform.

Tarkus98

6qszGFR.gif

tvNANVs.gif

Ux7gs1e.gif

FEsm6WBX0AIjZKx

DNUo9reXUAADA2I

Then there are third party devs who managed to create some incredibly amazing looking games on the PS4.

CmP_LDUWEAE7EGu

Dl--AFqU8AAE1po

This list doesnt even include the new Unreal Engine demos from Epic Games which look a generation if not two generations ahead of anything sony studios have produced in the last few years.
This is a good point and some great examples. While true that Sony does make some incredible looking games, there is most definitely a healthy dose of competition out there.

Vognerful

1. Final Fantasy VII Remake is published by Square Enix on PS4. Its a 3rd party PS4 game.

2. SIE funded and published both Death Stranding and Detroit Become Human on PS4. 1st party.

3. There is no real 1st party on PC. Its not a closed platform.
For point 2, that would make it 2nd party games.

And going back to the original argument by SlimySnake SlimySnake , these studios can now release new games independent from Sony ( or could not if they have new agreement with them). That means they could bring competition to the table as third party now.

kyliethicc

For point 2, that would make it 2nd party games.

And going back to the original argument by SlimySnake SlimySnake , these studios can now release new games independent from Sony ( or could not if they have new agreement with them). That means they could bring competition to the table as third party now.

Here is some more info explaining this deeply, deeply complicated concept.

I look forward to your response explaining how you know more than the game developer. Never accept reality!

KpTutsv.jpg
u1KBs9N.jpg

Gamerguy84

If you play God of War on the Pro you will see it's not worth it for the amount of noise produced. Even if the game were the exact same, on PS5 it would still be better.
Mainly in the uncapped menus. That's when mine got the loudest. In game it didn't spin up too hard.

Of course it probably depends on how clean it is.

Tarkus98

Definitely a big year for Naughty Dog. Uncharted Collection in January then Uncharted movie in February. The I'm guessing Last of Us Remake + 2 Remastered in October and Last of Us HBO TV series in November. I personally think Factions will release early 2023 to avoid the onslaught of multiplayer games like COD that usually release in the fall, I also think they don't want the main games to take focus away from Factions and it needs it own release. Finally I think if the TV show is popular they would want that extra audience to jump on multiplayer so maybe better to release after the show while the campaign releases before the show.
I know I’m in the minority here, but Uncharted and all the LoU stuff just isn’t doing it for me. Yes I really enjoyed those games but I want something new from ND. They usually put out a new IP each gen and I’m much more interested in that possibility instead of being saturated with the other two titles right now.

Vognerful

So
Here is some more info explaining this deeply, deeply complicated concept.

I look forward to your response explaining how you know more than the game developer. Never accept reality!

KpTutsv.jpg
u1KBs9N.jpg
I was wrong in arguing what consists as a 1st party game. I shouldn't have dwelt much on it.

You were wrong in saying FF7R was a 1st party.

My second point about slimysnake intent is still in place though; these studios could also make their own games as 3rd party developers.

Rivet Rivet is good to have you back after the ban 👍

6qszGFR.gif

tvNANVs.gif

Ux7gs1e.gif

FEsm6WBX0AIjZKx

DNUo9reXUAADA2I

CmP_LDUWEAE7EGu

Dl--AFqU8AAE1po

I agree with RDR2 but...did you just include Death Stranding? The game uses a Sony engine...and Detroit was created with Sony money and control quality. Since they left their Sony collaboration they have been having trouble ever since.

Cyberpunk in there...I won't even mention. Let's stop pretending that game is some sort of benchmark. Sony would never release a game in that state. Game looks good when it works... sometimes.

A tech demo is not a final game. By the time something like that Matrix demo is released in 2023 / 2024 Sony will have stuff looking like that as well.

Final Fantasy VIIRemake had great character models but the game itself suffered a lot and was awfully optimized for a corridor game. And those jpeg backgrounds were honestly comedy. Plus the amount of assets that never fully loaded. Sony would never release a game in that state.

The other games are either at the same level or can't reach stuff like TLOU2. The only game that's either at that level or better is RDR2.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

If Sony funded the game, like they did with Death Stranding, its a first party release. But that doesn't make the studio a second party. KojiPro is independent, they can also work with Nintendo or MS. So second party never fits in. You're either being owned by a company like Sony, or you're not. Sony could have stakes in your studio, like they used to have with SE, but that didn't make SE second party either.

KAL2006

Banned
I know I’m in the minority here, but Uncharted and all the LoU stuff just isn’t doing it for me. Yes I really enjoyed those games but I want something new from ND. They usually put out a new IP each gen and I’m much more interested in that possibility instead of being saturated with the other two titles right now.

Uncharted is just a port so not too much resources went on that. Last of Us 2 Remastered would be another quick port. As for Last of Us Remake they took over development for that game from another studio and remakes usually don't take as long to make as new games. Finally Factions was in development for a while and it's usually the multiplayer team that deals with that. So basically after 2022 I'd expect as new Naughty Dog IP, even as early as 2023.

Markio128

Uncharted is just a port so not too much resources went on that. Last of Us 2 Remastered would be another quick port. As for Last of Us Remake they took over development for that game from another studio and remakes usually don't take as long to make as new games. Finally Factions was in development for a while and it's usually the multiplayer team that deals with that. So basically after 2022 I'd expect as new Naughty Dog IP, even as early as 2023.
ND may announce a new IP this year just to gain the hype, but like you said, there won’t be a new IP released by ND until 2023/2024 at the earliest. I suppose it depends on the scope of the game; their first games in the Uncharted and TLOU series were much smaller in scope than any sequel. Personally, I’d be interested in a fun sci-fi game, in the vein of Savage Starlight - the comic that appeared in TLOU2. This is the basic plot:

Set in the year 2186, the plot of Savage Starlight centers around Dr. Daniela Star's adventures in space. She discovers a method of traveling faster than light via a jump drive,[1] and soon finds that a group of hostile extraterrestrial known as the Travelers are threatening mankind

KAL2006

Banned
ND may announce a new IP this year just to gain the hype, but like you said, there won’t be a new IP released by ND until 2023/2024 at the earliest. I suppose it depends on the scope of the game; their first games in the Uncharted and TLOU series were much smaller in scope than any sequel. Personally, I’d be interested in a fun sci-fi game, in the vein of Savage Starlight - the comic that appeared in TLOU2. This is the basic plot:

Set in the year 2186, the plot of Savage Starlight centers around Dr. Daniela Star's adventures in space. She discovers a method of traveling faster than light via a jump drive,[1] and soon finds that a group of hostile extraterrestrial known as the Travelers are threatening mankind

Look at the positive of a 2023 game. If it was a 2022 game it would be cross gen. Horizon, God of War and Gran Turismo fans need to wait until 2026 at the earliest for a true next gen only sequel so Naughty Dog having minor ports, multiplayer game and remake in the early cycle is a good thing if we get a next gen only Naughty Dog game in 2023.

kyliethicc

Look at the positive of a 2023 game. If it was a 2022 game it would be cross gen. Horizon, God of War and Gran Turismo fans need to wait until 2026 at the earliest for a true next gen only sequel so Naughty Dog having minor ports, multiplayer game and remake in the early cycle is a good thing if we get a next gen only Naughty Dog game in 2023.
Don't expect a new big singelplayer PS5 game from Naughty Dog to release before 2025.

They'll have started in 2021. It'll take them around 4-5 years.

In 2022-23 they'll release the Uncharted & TLOU PS5 ports and then the TLOU multiplayer game.

Last edited:
Definitely getting positive business vibes from Sony in 2022.

I don’t remember a year in recent memory where it was so stacked (including 3rd party too).

I saw quite a few posts about animation quality, I don’t chock this up to superior animation artists, I think this comes down to QC and the finish we have all come to expect out of big budget titles from PlayStation studios.

To date, I think FF7R had some of the best character models/animations during in game cinematic. Excellent work, of course UE4 doing all the heavy lifting. Can’t wait to see what can be accomplished by the team in UE5. TLOU2 sets the bar for character animation and facial expressions. Sort of a contradiction of my last statement about FF7R but I stand by it all lol.

PSVR2 at CES? Maybe? I hope? Would be cool.

KAL2006

Banned
Don't expect a new big singelplayer PS5 game from Naughty Dog to release before 2025.

They'll have started in 2021. It'll take them around 4-5 years.

In 2022-23 they'll release the Uncharted & TLOU PS5 ports and then the TLOU multiplayer game.

2024 is easily viable. Last of Us is just a remake. Factions is a multiplayer game made by the separate multiplayer team and already has been in development for a while. 2024 would be 4 years after Last of Us 2. Remember Naughty Dog has expanded since then as well. The gap between Unchartd 4 and Last of Us 2 was also 4 years and they had Lost Legacy expansion between then.

Top Bottom