• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here is Why Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is a True Next-gen Game

FritzJ92

The lighting is not that impressive imo, but the rest is ok.
I agree, and I thought only Clank reflections were raytraced. Overall it is a nice looking game, and there is definitely a downgrade from the E3 presentation and some lighting adjustments... the world-hopping is really the "next gen" feature for me. However, if they are cinematics then I'll be greatly saddened.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I actually can't see that in the images, looks like a cubemap.

The fur looks great but I am also not sure it casts any shadow. Does it? Maybe I am wrong but it seems like the images can show different fur normals lighting differently with no shadows.

Yeah. Awesome particles and so many!

This could be A LOT of fun (also super expensive to produce)

Yay! Even more particles. No deformaton though, destruction for sure :)

looks very cool, definitely no infinite draw distance but models, objects and everything does seem to have a lot of detail in the distance.
I am sure they can fix some lod popping bugs like some parts of the train.

Yeah really good models everywhere!

Ah, I could not check that yet :)

4d2ivo.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thanks for saying this.
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem hyperbole does a disservice to the amazing graphics of R&C

I find quite amusing the talk about audio because in this video it's just the same thing as done in so many other games. It's like saying 4K details are amazing when watching a video on a 1080p smartphone screen.

Not sure what you're trying to say, but here this is a helpful post with cropped photos:

I still wish we had realtime 3D water simulation instead of sprite based water splashes :-/

PXuV6Ty.png

sXNGz8I.png

LKwH8fv.png

What it was on the PS4 PRO

LYYHrW2.png

It still looks great!

And I'm sorry if you can't hear it, blame the tools you have, and your smartphone while at it. Those screenshots are meant to bring what you can't see in a 1080p screen, as you can zoom in. But hey, people say 4K is overrated, but hate to break it to you, 8K is much better than 4K as well.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's incredible looking. I'm glad Insomniac showed people what these consoles could really do when not held back by current gen hardware.

Did Crysis shrine really say he was too tired to break it down? LMFAO He's a salty fuck haha!

I created that meme on the other place by the way because I said to him he always had to have an issue with console exclusives to which he responded with "are you calling me a PC fanboy" and I replied "dude you have a Crysis shrine in your room". I can't find the post as I asked for my account to be deleted over there lol.

He said that when people questioned him going on a surface level on Halo while doing 800% on PS5 games. So he said I'm too tired to make deep analysis. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: He seems very energetic with it's possible to downplay PS5.🤷‍♂️

GymWolf

The only thing i know is that i posted 3 screens of the ps4 version in the trailer topic making it look like it was the ps5 version and nobody called me out...i even received 4-5 likes :lollipop_grinning_sweat: (pag 7), it make you think a little...

Not saying that the game doens't have anything nextgen because it's not true, all the warp dimensional stuff is cool to look at it but both ratchet and spidey on ps4 looks already so absurdly good that the jump for me is not that big, and it's not a matter of diminishing returns, we have a shitload of examples of far better graphics both in movies and gaming tech demos.

Horizon 2 is what showed the biggest (but still perfectly realistic) generation jump for now, if we don't count stuff like HB2 and some other in engine tech demo here and there.

Screenshots look good, but I don't think I've every been completely impressed by screenshots. I think most games look best when they are seen as they are meant to be played, in motion. In motion this game looks fantastic. I know people love breaking down screenshots, but I've never seen the point. I don't play a game in stills. In motion I can't tell you if that reflection on Clanks head is RT or Cube Map, like I don't even know how you can tell the difference. I mean would you even be able to see that difference in motion while you're playing it or watching the video? I guess I don't know enough to be disappointed 🤷‍♂️ My eye's tell me it looks good. I might just be SIMP!

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The only thing i know is that i posted 3 screens of the ps4 version in the trailer topic making it look like it was the ps5 version and nobody called me out...i even received 4-5 likes :lollipop_grinning_sweat: (pag 7), it make you think a little...

Not saying that the game doens't have anything nextgen because it's not true, all the warp dimensional stuff is cool to look at it but both ratchet and spidey on ps4 looks already so absurdly good that the jump for me is not that big, and it's not a matter of diminishing returns, we have a shitload of examples of far better graphics both in movies and gaming tech demos.

Horizon 2 is what showed the biggest (but still perfectly realistic) generation jump for now, if we don't count stuff like HB2 and some other in engine tech demo here and there.

Not that people viewing the forum on 4K TV's and monitors, most of them are usually using cellphones and 1080p-1440p monitors, you can spot them on even 1080p monitors but people tend to not police every post as it might be screenshots from a cellphone. The difference is staggering.

GymWolf

Not that people viewing the forum on 4K TV's and monitors, most of them are usually using cellphones and 1080p-1440p monitors, you can spot them on even 1080p monitors but people tend to not police every post as it might be screenshots from a cellphone. The difference is staggering.
dude...if i post a screen of infamous 2 and infamous 3 you can see the staggering difference even on a monochrome casio calculator...

you have a point, but let's be honest here...

the game looks great but it's not like mindblowing.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have to say, This is the most impressive screenshot for now, i didn't looked that good in the trailer.

This is direct feed from PS5 console. When sent to your TV, it depends on how your TV will process it. It's always slightly lesser than the actual image sent from the system, the better the TV, the better the final image you get. It's actually pretty close to the trailer. To give you perspective, the clip is 820MB for like 7 minutes. It should be at least 5-9GB without compression. I upload 4K videos being like 2.5GB (compressed already), they end up being compressed further to 500-600MB.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
dude...if i post a screen of infamous 2 and infamous 3 you can see the staggering difference even on a monochrome casio calculator...

you have a point, but let's be honest here...

the game looks great but it's not like mindblowing.

Of course, the jump from previous gens is much bigger, but you need a 4K screen to appreciate the jump.

GymWolf

Of course, the jump from previous gens is much bigger, but you need a 4K screen to appreciate the jump.
i watch everything on my panasonic 4k oled.
and it's not a matter of diminishing returns...pixar modern movies or even stuff like love-death-robot on netflix are a couple of gen away from a ps5, it's still early for diminishing returns talk and when people are gonna look at tlou3 or gow 2 this narrative is gonna be even more silly than it is now.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Honestly I surprised how many Adults are creaming there pants over a kids game but then I remember there are bronies and other man child groups all over the internet....

People were praising that cup game (cuphead?) on Xbox, and it's cartoony. You don't study engineering while playing games, you blow the steam and enjoy your time to ease up the stress from your hard work day ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

onesvenus

Not sure what you're trying to say, but here this is a helpful post with cropped photos
What I'm trying to say is that those reflections could still be done via cubemaps the same way racing games have been doing other cars reflections. What you should be looking for are self-reflections but I can't see any of those

jaysius

Banned
If this is all Next Gen has to offer then we should cancel/delay it until it's really ready to give us overt wow effect without having to over analyze minute and somewhat insignificant details.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What I'm trying to say is that those reflections could still be done via cubemaps the same way racing games have been doing other cars reflections. What you should be looking for are self-reflections but I can't see any of those

You mean something like this:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-23h03m39s894.png

If this is all Next Gen has to offer then we should cancel/delay it until it's really ready to give us overt wow effect without having to over analyze minute and somewhat insignificant details.

Did we say this is all what next gen will offer? No, this is the first batch of next gen games, they'll do better going forward, as always. Either that or stick to current gen/crossgen, it's your call.

S0ULZB0URNE

Let's jump straight to the 4K screenshots I've made from the video! Put in mind that the video itself is heavily compressed, but I made PNG screenshots to preserve as much details as possible:

Raytraced reflections:

Looking into this screenshot, you can clearly see Ratchet's raytraced reflection on Clank. The red bulb on Clank's head is also reflective on his own body on other frames.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h25m18s267.png

And here is another shot showing the fine reflections on Clank's body/head:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h37m33s664.png

Mirror reflection on that portal and reflections of all things on the shiny floor.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-23h03m39s894.png

High-quality, raytraced shadows:

You can spot that every hair has its own high-quality shadow:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h38m13s823.png

Even during gameplay, look at the tail fur:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h42m05s699.png

High-quality particles:

Just look at the liquid splash and other particles that can be extremely crowded in some parts of the demo without noticeable penalty in performance.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h27m26s545.png

Extremely fast and dynamic transitions: