• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart on PC match - and exceed - the PS5 experience?

Guilty_AI

People are forgetting that Sony installed SSDs into 100-percent of PS5s ever sold.
Developers of PS5 exclusives don't have to even consider the possibility the game will ever be run from an HDD.
What modern developer has to take that into account? The only ones i can think of are mobile and switch devs, though they use slower microSDs rather than HDDs.

Fredrik

If that's true he should probably be using a cpu and gpu that's in production or at the least can still be bought new.
The 2070 and 2080ti talk comes from early gen when PS5 and XSX was said to be as powerful as those. I don’t know his angle on sticking with those specs, maybe it’s for the crowd that’s interested in what the consoles compares to if they would’ve jumped into PC gaming at that point.
🤷‍♂️

I’ve upgraded my PC twice during this console gen so I know these videos isn’t meant for me. I already know I’ll likely max out the screen refresh on my PC but I’m still not buying the game until I see that visuals bugs like static shadows are still there. Already played through the game, I see this version as a way to replay it as a remaster of sorts.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I don’t kniw his angle on sticking with those specs, maybe it’s for the crowd that’s interested in what the consoles compares to if they would’ve jumped into PC gaming at that point.
He's trying to use raw number specs that compare with the raw number specs of a ps5, which is a horrible methodology i might add - and largely pointless - as PCs and PS5s have drastic architechtural differences that make it impossible for a 1:1 comparison in the first place.

For example, you can't use the framerate a rtx 2070 gets to say its x% faster/slower than this other GPU, WHEN THE FRAMERATE IS BEING BOTTLENECKED BY THE OLD-ASS CPU.

Last edited:

yamaci17

rofif rofif same problem as with spiderman. haptics and adaptives work in weak or medium mode. on PS5, I can feel trigger snapping back and fighting with every shot, but on PC its just a tickle

here's the problem visualized

this is just one example. it affects all the potential haptics and adaptives. sadly I wouldn't even call this "supported". its too inferior

usamarslan

Neo Member

this is just one example. it affects all the potential haptics and adaptives. sadly I wouldn't even call this "supported". its too inferior
Damn this sucks. PC players deserves better than this. Imagine having a 4090 and still having an inferior experience than a 400$ box because Sony doesn't want to bother implementing one of their best features.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Review scores don’t matter, but Just remember that these bastards gave the game 2/10 when the PS5 launched:

Tom Chick is the GOAT. The polar opposite of the other professional reviewers that just follow what everyone else is doing.
Instead of looking at the number, read what he wrote. He’s not going to slap a high score on a game that’s more of the same thing, and I love him for that.

Mr Moose

Tom Chick is the GOAT. The polar opposite of the other professional reviewers that just follow what everyone else is doing.
Instead of looking at the number, read what he wrote. He’s not going to slap a high score on a game that’s more of the same thing, and I love him for that.
Gave Assassin's Creed Valhalla 3 stars.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

yeah that's true.
On ps5, with best dualsense games, you can mute your tv and controller speaker... and just listen to rumble in fascination.
The motors are so precise, it's almost like if there was still a speaker turned on. It's so good.

yamaci17

yeah that's true.
On ps5, with best dualsense games, you can mute your tv and controller speaker... and just listen to rumble in fascination.
The motors are so precise, it's almost like if there was still a speaker turned on. It's so good.
this is not about rumble, this is about adaptive trigger. on ps5, once you beat the tension and gun goes into rapid shooting mode, triggers constantly go up and down creating a ripple effect on the trigger
on PC, the tension is there, but once you beat it, it becomes shallow and no follow up adaptive behaviour happens. it is very hard to convey through videos but at least the adaptives are so loud that you can at least see it doesn't happening on PC at all

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oh wow that sucks, I don’t think I even want this now. The haptics did so much for this game, especially the Glitch segments were amazing when you felt the fast trigger rattle perfectly synced up with the sound.

Zathalus

Yeah + it's only wired to get haptics at all right?
ps5 is still god for dualsense and 3d audio it seems.
Well PC fully supports 3D audio at least, Nixxes didn't bother to enable Dolby Atmos but they at least have Wwise.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Yeah + it's only wired to get haptics at all right?
ps5 is still god for dualsense and 3d audio it seems.

yes u can get wireless adaptives (albeit borked compared to ps5). but haptics do not seem to work with wireless. just regular vibrations

yamaci17

Oh wow that sucks, I don’t think I even want this now. The haptics did so much for this game, especially the Glitch segments were amazing when you felt the fast trigger rattle perfectly synced up with the sound.
i need someone else to compare and come up with the same results. I hope it is a problem on my end so i can troubleshoot but I tried everything but to no avail

some people on online forums say it works for them but they don't even understand what I actually mean. there's haptic feedback as you shoot the gun in rapid mode and I can feel those thuds, but the trigger is not responsive like it is on PS5 to ACCOMPANY the haptic effect

so it works, but also works half borked on my end. I don't know if it is a problem on my end or a general problem of the game. I hope someone else can try and see if their trigger rattles like on PS5 on their end with their PC

Fredrik

i need someone else to compare and come up with the same results. I hope it is a problem on my end so i can troubleshoot but I tried everything but to no avail

some people on online forums say it works for them but they don't even understand what I actually mean. there's haptic feedback as you shoot the gun in rapid mode and I can feel those thuds, but the trigger is not responsive like it is on PS5 to ACCOMPANY the haptic effect

so it works, but also works half borked on my end. I don't know if it is a problem on my end or a general problem of the game. I hope someone else can try and see if their trigger rattles like on PS5 on their end with their PC
Sounds like it’s just regular rumble. Could it be driver related? Have the people who say it works for them played it on PS5?

Make a thread about it. You can’t be the only person here with a PS5 and PC who want to replay this game.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
this is not about rumble, this is about adaptive trigger. on ps5, once you beat the tension and gun goes into rapid shooting mode, triggers constantly go up and down creating a ripple effect on the trigger
on PC, the tension is there, but once you beat it, it becomes shallow and no follow up adaptive behaviour happens. it is very hard to convey through videos but at least the adaptives are so loud that you can at least see it doesn't happening on PC at all

Is Returnal the same way? Or is it just Ratchet?

I need a new controller, and while I’m likely to go for something with Hall Effect switches, I’d consider a Dualsense if it truly lived up to the hype with the haptic feedback.

First of all people who are comparing PS5 with RTX 2070 should know that recent games are mostly Vram bottleneck and CPU Bound first.

You should compare with PS5 with RTX 3060 12GB most the time.

Ray Tracing on 4k with DLSS 30+ FPS 90% of the time.

Other things matter as well not just Raw performance. PS5 API is very low level and it provide a better access to memory and CPU, which most of the recent games that are launching on PC are CPU and Vram Bottleneck not GPU bound.

theclaw135

Banned
What modern developer has to take that into account? The only ones i can think of are mobile and switch devs, though they use slower microSDs rather than HDDs.

Antiquated hardware is holding gaming back.
Any developer who anticipates any chance their game will be ported to PC in the future, has to keep HDDs on their mind throughout the creation process.

Guilty_AI

Antiquated hardware is holding gaming back.
Any developer who anticipates any chance their game will be ported to PC in the future, has to keep HDDs on their mind throughout the creation process.
72o0ifqiq0m31.jpg

You do realize we already have plenty of releases requiring SSDs as minimum specs right? That includes popular PC-centric titles, normal games not meant to be any type of technical benchmark.

Time to unscrew that 2015 mentality.

theclaw135

Banned
72o0ifqiq0m31.jpg

You do realize we already have plenty of releases requiring SSDs as minimum specs right? That includes popular PC-centric titles, normal games not meant to be any type of technical benchmark.

Time to unscrew that 2015 mentality.

Good. More games need to take a stand against lower end rigs.

Topher

Gold Member

To each his own, but he is the last guy I'd depend on if I need advice on buying a game or not. He is all over the place. I'm sure his reviews and scores make sense to him, but I don't think the average gamer would find his reviews helpful at all.

bender

What time is it?
To each his own, but he is the last guy I'd depend on if I need advice on buying a game or not. He is all over the place. I'm sure his reviews and scores make sense to him, but I don't think the average gamer would find his reviews helpful at all.

I wonder what Tom Chick thought of The Last Guy.

Barakov

Gold Member
Review scores don’t matter, but Just remember that these bastards gave the game 2/10 when the PS5 launched:

Tom Chick does make some valid points but he always came off as someone who was snarky for the sake of it. He definitely has that Yahtzee energy. Not every game needs reinevent the wheel every time.

CuNi

Lower end rigs are also sporting SSDs these days. The only laptops and PCs that don't have one are the bottom of the barrel stuff or the borderline scam builds.
Wtf u guys talking about.
I have a 3080 in my rig and run a mix of SSD and HDD.
Games I play often are on the 4TB SSD and games that a play rarely are on the 4TB HDD. Hell, exoprimal is on my HDD as is Apex and a few others like guild wars 2, FF14, WoW.

Those games all run perfectly fine from a HDD. The difference is a few seconds loading an only really matters in open world games from my experience. Linear games barely, if ever, struggle to run on a HDD.

I don't know where the notion comes from that gaming on a HDD is awful besides longer loading times.

bender

What time is it?
Well he did give Agents of Mayhem a perfect score when it came out so….

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

At least Agents of Mayhem (5/5 from esteemed gaming publication QuarterToThree, btw) didn't feel like a... *checks notes* ...soulless corporate property.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Console gamers thinking that SSD is the newest cutting edge technology is the funniest shit ever. In reality it’s been the standard for so long that it became dirt cheap to include it at entry level gaming devices like PS5 or Series.

Barakov

Gold Member
Well he did give Agents of Mayhem a perfect score when it came out so….

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Uk5wEIB.png

The old guard of games journalism's attempt at relevancy is impressive to say the least. Rift Apart is a 10/10 compared to that. I'm convinced now that guy just throws reviews at the wall and see what sticks.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It does much more than that but... as before mentioned.
Clueless PC gamers...

No one cares what it does under the hood. The benefit for end user is faster loading times. Spider-Man loads 3 seconds faster on PS5 compared to basic ass PC SSD. If I have to wait 3 seconds longer at the start of the game to get far superior experience in every conceivable way, I gladly wait.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

No one cares what it does under the hood. The benefit for end user is faster loading times. Spider-Man loads 3 seconds faster on PS5 compared to basic ass PC SSD. If I have to wait 3 seconds longer at the start of the game to get far superior experience in every conceivable way, I gladly wait.
Spider-Man is a PS4 game.

TrueGrime

By the looks of this thread, the Playstation army seems really emboldened in trying to prop up PS5 specs against a PC port that needs more than a little fine tuning for parity sake.

S0ULZB0URNE

It has a native PS5 port. Ratchet loading times are comparable. Seconds apart. I used Spider Man as an example because that game was patched multiple times and is actually finished on PC.
It was built around the PS4.
It got a rather quick PS5 port not the same thing.

So again Spider-Man is a PS4 game.

Guilty_AI

Wtf u guys talking about.
I have a 3080 in my rig and run a mix of SSD and HDD.
Games I play often are on the 4TB SSD and games that a play rarely are on the 4TB HDD. Hell, exoprimal is on my HDD as is Apex and a few others like guild wars 2, FF14, WoW.

Those games all run perfectly fine from a HDD. The difference is a few seconds loading an only really matters in open world games from my experience. Linear games barely, if ever, struggle to run on a HDD.

I don't know where the notion comes from that gaming on a HDD is awful besides longer loading times.
naturally the outdated notion i mean is having only hdds on your rig. I also have a rig with both as plenty of games run off hdds just fine.

SomeGit

naturally the outdated notion i mean is having only hdds on your rig. I also have a rig with both as plenty of games run off hdds just fine.

I pray for the people that only run HDDs. The last time I did that was in the Windows 8 days, and even then it was a terrible experience.

Guilty_AI

I pray for the people that only run HDDs. The last time I did that was in the Windows 8 days, and even then it was a terrible experience.
I think now its mostly people using really old laptops, since even in old pcs its viable and fairly cheap to get a sata ssd.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I don’t think Tom reviews videogames anymore. I’ve never based a buying decision on his reviews, but I’ve always enjoyed reading them.

Top Bottom