• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift Apart PC Requirements Revealed

darrylgorn

984900e70c0a0a7a2425bbc7ca53e774.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Series X is smaller, consume less energy, run games at better resolutions, and cost the same.
Cost the same to make… sure buddy sure…

The speed of the SSD was one of many things the I/O story (for consoles that are still young all in all) he talked about but you can go back lording those 2 TFLOPS extra that make all the difference…

crickets GIF

Celcius

°Temp. member
I wish they'd release a benchmark for those of us who want to see how it runs on our system but aren't really into rachet and clank

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Gears 5.
Forza Horizon (Pretty much all of them).
Ori (both of them).
Metal Gears Solid 5.
Death Stranding.
Doom '16 and Eternal.
Control.

I could keep going honestly but is it really worth it?
Either this new phase of bad ports has hurt you enough to forget that PC launches for big titles were generally good and bad ports were the outliers, or you just really felt like praising Sony for something but couldnt come up with anything so decided to ignore that in actual fact, most of their ports dont launch in brilliant shape.
Those are old games. Games released alongside you've provided was also higher quality than current gen PC ports.
We have such shitty problem (this scale) not so long ago on PC.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Those are old games.
Games released alongside you've provided was also higher quality than current gen PC ports.
We have such shitty problem (this scale) not so long ago on PC.

6iXSuB5.gif

Days Gone
Zero Dawn
Spiderman
Returnal

Are also "old games".....i dont understand your point.

You mean games that are next gen only.......like A Plagues Tale Requiem?

You asked me for a....singular PC game thats has released in a decent to good state, I listed multiple, now youve moved the goalposts and are saying what exactly.....they cant be from ~2020+ because thats too old??
These games arent even that old.
Define old so I make sure to to list a good PC game thats come out after that exact date.

Im guessing it doesnt actually matter what good PC ports I list, youll just move the goalposts and say, well theres no zombies in that game or that the game doesnt feature Sackboy so its not a fair comparison.

0*E1eNateTiDThGcYI.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I mean look at the minimum requirements. That's to play the game at 720p/30fps. Sure you can play it. Gonna look and run like dogshit.
At that res/frames it wont look good.

But, it’s still playable on a PC with 8 gb system ram, a GTX 960 and an HDD.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

That is hilarious. I am really curious how it will run in minimum settings w/ HDD. The DF video is gonna be interesting.
Probably like Star Citizen if Direct Storage with a HDD isn't sufficient enough.

Last edited:

Jboemios

Banned
Cost the same to make… sure buddy sure…

The speed of the SSD was one of many things the I/O story (for consoles that are still young all in all) he talked about but you can go back lording those 2 TFLOPS extra that make all the difference…

crickets GIF
I dont care how much it cost to MS or Sony to produce a console. I only care about the money I have to pay. And yes, those extra 2 TF makes the difference and you can see it in the DF comparisons. Also Funny how you choose to ignore my other points.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Don't be an idiot. It's gonna run like ass on the minimum settings w/ HDD.
It's not like storage gives some kind of processing power, it will become a bottleneck for some settings loading heavy assets so maybe in some instances it will need some loading screen time but depending on who you ask, it might be far from unplayable

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
If you're actually gaming with an RTX 4090 using an HDD instead of an SSD, then you're clinically retarded. If you were just being funny about the HDD bit, then good on you.

I have hundreds of older games stored on HDD. It makes little to no difference in these games. You have to be clinically retarded not to know this.

Edit: and yes, we’re just making fun out of people who claimed that Ratchet would be impossible without PS5 SSD.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Were we talking about older games? No, we were not. You said you were going to be playing this game on your HDD. Pay attention to your own posts.

Pay attention to the context of the entire conversation in the thread.

Yes, I’ll play this specific game on a HDD just for giggles. Because it will be perfectly playable that way despite past claims from Insomniac and forum experts.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

Yes, I’ll play this specific game on a HDD just for giggles. Because it will be perfectly playable that way despite past claims from Insomniac and forum experts.

I understood the context. You were the person who wasn't paying attention to the context, which is why you randomly brought up older games when neither of us had discussed older games at all.

And intentionally bottlenecking your game for giggles is stupid, but do you.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
HDD is perfectly fine for data storage and older games. I have a mix of SSD, NVMe and HDD in my PC.

I understood the context. You were the person who wasn't paying attention to the context, which is why you randomly brought up older games when neither of us had discussed older games at all.

Pay attention, boy.

And intentionally bottlenecking your game for giggles is stupid, but do you.

No, it's not. What's stupid is claiming that your game would be IMPOSSIBLE without SSD and then releasing it on another platform where it works on HDD.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Pay attention, boy.

So your move is to be a condescending fuckwad? You're the person who acted like a douche. Don't get pissy for being called out.

The post you're using for "context" wasn't a post in our conversation. That was a post you made to someone else, on a different page of the thread, on a different day, that you and I never discussed. In the context of our conversation, you brought up older games out of nowhere. Read our conversation history. I don't give a shit what you said to someone else at some other point in this thread. That's not context.

No, it's not. What's stupid is claiming that your game would be IMPOSSIBLE without SSD and then releasing it on another platform where it works on HDD.

Yes, intentionally bottlenecking your game is stupid. But again, do you.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So your move is to be a condescending fuckwad? You're the person who acted like a douche. Don't get pissy for being called out.

The post you're using for "context" wasn't a post in our conversation. That was a post you made to someone else, on a different page of the thread, on a different day, that you and I never discussed. In the context of our conversation, you brought up older games out of nowhere. Read our conversation history. I don't give a shit what you said to someone else at some other point in this thread. That's not context.

Yes, intentionally bottlenecking your game is stupid. But again, do you.

Read the thread before you start posting. That's it. Have a blessed day.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

It will be playable in 2023 with the benefit of technology that didn't exist yet in 2020. You're not comparing the same things.

For Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC we added adaptive streaming based on live measurement of the available hardware bandwidth. This allows us to tailor the texture streaming strategy for the best possible texture streaming on any configuration. With DirectStorage, the use of a fast NVMe SSD and GPU decompression, this results in very responsive texture streaming even at the highest settings.

DirectStorage is developed to fully utilize the speed of fast PCIe NVMe SSDs, but the technology is also compatible with SATA SSDs and even traditional hard disk drives. This means Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC can use the same technology for loading data, regardless of the storage device in your system.

Black_Stride

PS5 version looks fantastic. Can't see the reason to buy PC version untill 75% discount will be a thing.
If you already have the game on PS5 version why would you double dip at all?

It will be playable in 2023 with the benefit of technology that didn't exist yet in 2020. You're not comparing the same things.
RAGE in 2011:

If you have a processor with few cores and you have a high end NVIDIA graphics card then you can try turning on the "GPU Transcode" menu option in the video settings menu in RAGE. By enabling this option a large percentage of the texture calculations are moved to the graphics processor (GPU).

P.S It wasnt a very good port, you had to manually create the texture cache folder and increase the texture buffer.
But GPU decompression and adaptive streaming are not new technologies.....

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
RAGE in 2011:

If you have a processor with few cores and you have a high end NVIDIA graphics card then you can try turning on the "GPU Transcode" menu option in the video settings menu in RAGE. By enabling this option a large percentage of the texture calculations are moved to the graphics processor (GPU).

P.S It wasnt a very good port, you had to manually create the texture cache folder and increase the texture buffer.
But GPU decompression and adaptive streaming are not new technologies.....

Was GPU Transcode hardware agnostic?
Was GPU Transcode used in any game since Rage? Why or why not?
Do these technologies work the same or are you comparing apples to oranges?

Do you realize that having a higher end internal SSD on PS5 vs a lower end would be a difference of a couple bucks to Sony right now at this moment?

I bought 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB for less than $160 yesterday (meaning each was less than $80). How much do you think MS is saving from having a 1TB Gen 3 SSD vs Sony having a 825GB Gen 4 SSD? I would bet it’s less than tree-fiddy!

Regardless, you sound like a typical hater who still don’t want to admit that PS5 objectively has a smarter overall design when it comes to value compared to Series X.
Just stop. Look at requirements.

They saying SSD recommended not required.

Stop being a blind shill :)

This doesn't change the fact that we are yet to see anything that would justify such fast SSD in Sony's machine. A more powerful GPU would have already shown its benefits. We are yet to see anything on PS5 that we haven't seen on any other console or from any other publisher/developer. For what these machines are, midrange PCs, a Gen3 3.5GB/s SSD would have been more than enough. I may be proven wrong yet, but we're heading into 4th year of these consoles soon and nothing has justified that SSD that Cerny spent and hour talking about.
Most people failed to understand that when game came out on PS5, Sony said game is only possible on PS5 coz of their special sauce SSD.

People are calling out Sony's lie. We not saying game will run great on HDD. No, hell no, all modern games need some sort SSD to play properly. Its the marketing and lie being called out.

Hey we nit pick everything MS says and label them as liar, we got keep same energy and call Sony out as well when they lie.

KEEP SAME ENERGY - GAF

I stopped using an HDD for games not long after BF4. That loaded so fucking slowly on HDD.

I’m interested to see how dimension hopping will look on an HDD. I assume an SSD will show that transition much faster in that regard.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I dont care how much it cost to MS or Sony to produce a console. I only care about the money I have to pay. And yes, those extra 2 TF makes the difference and you can see it in the DF comparisons. Also Funny how you choose to ignore my other points.

Difference? PS5 outperforms the Series X is most comparisons and when the Series X has the "edge" over the PS5...it's minimal and still not in all areas.

Most people failed to understand that when game came out on PS5, Sony said game is only possible on PS5 coz of their special sauce SSD.

People are calling out Sony's lie. We not saying game will run great on HDD. No, hell no, all modern games need some sort SSD to play properly. Its the marketing and lie being called out.

Hey we nit pick everything MS says and label them as liar, we got keep same energy and call Sony out as well when they lie.

KEEP SAME ENERGY - GAF

Compared to PS4. Did they make any comparison with other devices? They want to sell PS5 consoles, not PS4 consoles when you develop the game for it.

Do you think they will say "The dimensional Rifts will only work with the PS5's SSD, but if we downscale everything to low textures, 720 resolution or lower, then maybe you could run it on an HDD, but heey, we obviously don't want to do that because we want you to buy a PS5 for this game" .

Good luck thinking you get the same experience with these lower settings. The game will look completely different without all the features enables. So no you can't run this game on HDD if you want it to look like the PS5 version. It's VERY clear that they talked about how the game is, isn't possible on PS4. Downscaling everything for it is irrelevant .

Don't be so stupid....

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Was GPU Transcode hardware agnostic?
Was GPU Transcode used in any game since Rage? Why or why not?
Do these technologies work the same or are you comparing apples to oranges?
GPU transcode was CUDA based, so if youre GPU had CUDA it would work, CPU transcode worked on any CPU.
Same as has how DirectStorage also has minimum requirements pretty much as long as your GPU supports Shader Model 6, DirectStorage should work.
The technologies work the same, they are offloading decompression to the GPU.
DirectStorage is just an API to make life easier for developers to implement, just like FSR is an upsampler so devs dont have to make their own, but there is nothing actually stopping them from using other technologies as evidenced by TAA(U) and Temporal Injection techniques existing before FSR, its introduction just made life easier for devs.....not that the technology(concept) didnt exist before
Why not get used more......ask the developers, PCs have had free GPU cycles and Async compute for eons why dont they use them more efficiently??

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
GPU transcode was CUDA based, so if youre GPU had CUDA it would work, CPU transcode worked on any CPU.
Same as has how DirectStorage also has minimum requirements pretty much as long as your GPU supports Shader Model 6, DirectStorage should work.
The technologies work the same, they are offloading decompression to the GPU.
DirectStorage is just an API to make life easier for developers to implement, just like FSR is an upsampler so devs dont have to make their own, but there is nothing actually stopping them from using other technologies as evidenced by TAA(U) and Temporal Injection techniques existing before FSR, its introduction just made life easier for devs.....not that the technology(concept) didnt exist before
Why not get used more......ask the developers, PCs have had free GPU cycles and Async compute for eons why dont they use them more efficiently??

So is that the crux of your point? That the concept merely exists? In one game with a bespoke integration? Is it feasibly deployable? If yes, then maybe more devs should have been using this (but no one else did). If no, then the technology is for all practical purposes, unavailable or nonexistent.

Topher

Gold Member
Difference? PS5 outperforms the Series X is most comparisons and when the Series X has the "edge" over the PS5...it's minimal and still not in all areas.

Compared to PS4. Did they make any comparison with other devices? They want to sell PS5 consoles, not PS4 consoles when you develop the game for it.

Do you think they will say "The dimensional Rifts will only work with the PS5's SSD, but if we downscale everything to low textures, 720 resolution or lower, then maybe you could run it on an HDD, but heey, we obviously don't want to do that because we want you to buy a PS5 for this game" .

Good luck thinking you get the same experience with these lower settings. The game will look completely different without all the features enables. So no you can't run this game on HDD if you want it to look like the PS5 version. It's VERY clear that they talked about how the game is, isn't possible on PS4. Downscaling everything for it is irrelevant .

Don't be so stupid....

Saying it isn't "possible" without PS5 SSD is a pretty definitive statement.

"Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is a game that utilises dimensions and dimensional rifts, and that would not have been possible without the solid state drive of the PlayStation 5," explains Smith. "The SSD is screamingly fast, it allows us to build worlds and project players from one place to another at near-instantaneous speeds."

Don't think they are removing "dimensions and dimensional rifts" from the game on PC so saying those are not "possible without the solid state drive of the PlayStation 5" is not correct. Comes down to marketing bullshit to sell PS5s yes, but nothing wrong with anyone point out that bullshit.

Last edited:
DirectStorage to the rescue.
Direct-Storage-1024x614.png

DirectStorage 1.2 with GPU decompression being enacted.

Quotes from Nixxes:

To ensure a smooth dimension-hopping experience, our team implemented DirectStorage 1.2 in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC, including GPU decompression.

Richard van der Laan, Senior Lead Programmer at Nixxes Software, explains:
\u201cTo enable quick loading and instant transition between dimensions, the game needs to be able to load assets quickly. DirectStorage ensures quick loading times and GPU decompression is used at high graphics settings to stream assets in the background while playing. Traditionally, this decompression is handled by the CPU, but at a certain point there is an advantage to letting the GPU handle this, as this enables a higher bandwidth for streaming assets from storage to the graphics card. We use this to quickly load high-quality textures and environments with a high level of detail.\u201d

Principal Programmer Alex Bartholomeus:
\u201cFor Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC we added adaptive streaming based on live measurement of the available hardware bandwidth. This allows us to tailor the texture streaming strategy for the best possible texture streaming on any configuration. With DirectStorage, the use of a fast NVMe SSD and GPU decompression, this results in very responsive texture streaming even at the highest settings.\u201d

DirectStorage is developed to fully utilize the speed of fast PCIe NVMe SSDs, but the technology is also compatible with SATA SSDs and even traditional hard disk drives. This means Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC can use the same technology for loading data, regardless of the storage device in your system.
A Sony 1st party game being one of the first showcases for Microsoft's tech is kinda hilarious not gonna lie. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Black_Stride

So is that the crux of your point? That the concept merely exists? In one game with a bespoke integration? Is it feasibly deployable? If yes, then maybe more devs should have been using this (but no one else did). If no, then the technology is for all practical purposes, unavailable or nonexistent.
DirectStorage the API didnt exist yes.
GPU Decompression did exist and could be implemented by devs if they had the will to do so, but im going to guess the benefits vs cost of implementation is why devs didnt bother.

Same reason some devs didnt use any sort of temporal upsampling until FSR came along.
But just cause FSR is in game X you cant go and say the reason Naughty Dog didnt upsample The Last of Us Part 2 is because the technology of upsampling didnt exist......that isnt true, a specific algorithm and implementation didnt exist.

So GPU decompression existed and had been implement in games, some games had Async Compute (dont make me have to look up all the games with async compute and how exactly they used it) that could be used to do compute task such as decompression on the GPU, Microsoft has released an API that makes implementation easier and now we have one(1) game that uses this specific API to do GPU decompression.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
DirectStorage the API didnt exist yes.
GPU Decompression did exist and could be implemented by devs if they had the will to do so, but im going to guess the benefits vs cost of implementation is why devs didnt bother.

Same reason some devs didnt use any sort of temporal upsampling until FSR came along.
But just cause FSR is in game X you cant go and say the reason Naughty Dog didnt upsample The Last of Us Part 2 is because the technology of upsampling didnt exist......that isnt true, a specific algorithm and implementation didnt exist.

So GPU decompression existed and had been implement in games, some games had Async Compute (dont make me have to look up all the games with async compute and how exactly they used it) that could be used to do compute task such as decompression on the GPU, Microsoft has released an API that makes implementation easier and now we have one(1) game that uses this specific API to do GPU decompression.

The concept existed in some form or another, but was it feasibly deployable for a studio like Insomniac where they could have made Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart run on a mechanical hard drive at 4K 30fps or 1440p 60fps? That's the point.

Also, one more thing that I didn't bring up - does GPU Transcode in Rage bypass the CPU I/O and decompress the textures directly to VRAM?

Black_Stride

The concept existed in some form or another, but was it feasibly deployable for a studio like Insomniac where they could have made Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart run on a mechanical hard drive at 4K 30fps or 1440p 60fps? That's the point.
We have no way to know one way or another if a CUDA or Async Compute based GPU Decompression algorithm would let Rift Apart run on a mechanical hard drive or not.

We also have no way of knowing the feasibility of developing and deploying it for a studio like Insomniac who not only designed and manage their own engine, but also created their own Temporal Injection technique........so clearly their engineers are badasses......but would they be badass enough to create their own GPU decomp middleware to have R&C run on a mechanical hard drive.....?

who-knows.gif

Also, one more thing that I didn't bring up - does GPU Transcode in Rage bypass the CPU I/O and decompress the textures directly to VRAM?
I was just finishing up my Computer Science degree around then, so alot of information was flowing through my head and while debugging stuff was fun, I dont remember how RAGE got the information to the GPU, I was more interested in the MegaTexture tech, I highly doubt the entire MegaTexture was loaded into System Ram or VRAM, I was more concerned with whether it could be applied to offline rendering(of which I had just discovered GPU rendering).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

KEEP SAME ENERGY - GAF
Most of the 324 enthusiast forum dwellers that want to argue about stupid shit, sure.

I'm looking forward to this from a technical perspective. Not as some gotcha "they lied to us" angle. That matters to immature people.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
We have no way to know one way or another if a CUDA or Async Compute based GPU Decompression algorithm would let Rift Apart run on a mechanical hard drive or not.

We also have no way of knowing the feasibility of developing and deploying it for a studio like Insomniac who not only designed and manage their own engine, but also created their own Temporal Injection technique........so clearly their engineers are badasses......but would they be badass enough to create their own GPU decomp middleware to have R&C run on a mechanical hard drive.....?

who-knows.gif

Right. So doesn't it seem a little pedantic to pull the "OBJECTION" card at the statement "The technology didn't exist yet", if it only existed conceptually (and tangibly in only one game), but not quite in the same way, and for all intents and purposes was not available to them in 2020? They're just working with what they got at the time. Is it really reasonable for them to qualify their statement of "R&C isn't possible without the PS5 SSD and texture decompression pipeline" with " *except maybe if we utilized this one technology that only existed in one game that no one else really was able to get working properly"?

I was just finishing up my Computer Science degree around then, so alot of information was flowing through my head and while debugging stuff was fun, I dont remember how RAGE got the information to the GPU, I was more interested in the MegaTexture tech, I highly doubt the entire MegaTexture was loaded into System Ram or VRAM, I was more concerned with whether it could be applied to offline rendering(of which I had just discovered GPU rendering).

With that in mind, would you still consider Rage's GPU Transcode and Direct Storage 1.2 to be an apples to apples comparison that is useful to make aside from extreme technicalities?

Top Bottom