• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart peaks at less than 9k concurrent players on Steam, third worst PC launch for PlayStation game

Senua

It would be meanless. Elden Ring is already there, not to mention Bloodborne sales aren't spetacular or anything. Plus most PC players are touchy about the aspects of Fromsoftware games and would rather focus on other stuff rather than gameplay. They will be either be complaining its a bad port, graphic is not good, fps is not good, etc. Its a complete waste of resources, regardless of how much decades worth of Bloodborne port begging people make.
Bloodborne and Elden Ring are very different games lol. And how is potentially millions of potential buyers pointless? Sony want money and PC gamers want Bloodborne. Simple

Guilty_AI

It would be meanless. Elden Ring is already there, not to mention Bloodborne sales aren't spetacular or anything. Plus most PC players are touchy about the aspects of Fromsoftware games and would rather focus on other stuff rather than gameplay. They will be either be complaining its a bad port, graphic is not good, fps is not good, etc. Its a complete waste of resources, regardless of how much decades worth of Bloodborne port begging people make.
...have you tried taking a look at the most popular PC games? Bad port, poor performing, graphic not good enough Elden ring was literally the second most played single player game of all time on release on the platform. Other titles like Monster Hunter Rise also did incredibly well. Oh, and lets not talk about Battlebit Remastered.

Last edited:

Fake

I feel like we're on the same page, but you lost me at Morbius. Unless the point is that Sony often makes confusing business decisions!

Sony listening people over social media about 'how this movie is good, please re-release again on the cinema.' Same as when Returnal got release announcement on PC and people over the internet celebrate saying 'will sell like no other game' because is a PS5 game, just for in the end flopped.

Lets not pretend that trolls are all over the place no matter what forum/site we are.

My point is Sony need to be extra careful about those terrible decisions now after Microsoft got CoD rights.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Bloodborne and Elden Ring are very different games lol. And how is potentially millions of potential buyers pointless? Sony want money and PC gamers want Bloodborne. Simple

Didn't sell that well on PS4 dude, theres no reason to believe it would do well on pc just because in your mind theres "millions" potential players. This sounds like one those port begging wetdream reasons.

...have you tried taking a look at the most PC games? Bad port, poor performing, graphic not good enough Elden ring was literally the second most single player game played on release.

Like I said, Elden Ring is already there. They have no reason to port Bloodborne there and compete when ER is a superior game.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Sony’s PC output doesn’t really offer a compelling reason to double dip. The games are a bit rough (at best) Day 1 and come months or years after the console releases, which tend to be solid. I don’t really see a reason to get TLOU on PC after playing it on PS5 with unlocked frame rates.

That’s contrasted with GamePass, which releases games simultaneously and in a much better state on PC.

I end up not seeing a need for an Xbox because I play all my GPU games on PC and keep a PS5 for the Sony shit earlier and in a non-broken state.

Senua

Like I said, Elden Ring is already there. They have no reason to port Bloodborne there and compete when ER is a superior game.
The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

Bloodborne is GOAT I say, GOAT!

Senua

Why do you care? Their opinion means nothing.

What you should be concerned with is the PC audience not supporting these games. Because, that's what could result in these games staying exclusive to console in the future.
Sony's problem tbh, they chose to release years old games full price, often with performance issues. You reap what ya sow

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Didn't sell that well on PS4 dude, theres no reason to believe it would do well on pc just because in your mind theres "millions" potential players. This sounds like one those port begging wetdream reasons.

What a ridiculous post. For one, Elden Ring most definitely isn't superior to Bloodborne. For two, Bloodborne was released all the way back in 2015 and From did not have the reputation that they do now.

Their fame and acclaim increased with each game, culminating with Dark Souls III that sold over 10M and the hype surrounding Elden Ring catapulted them to the forefront. A bloodborne released in 2023 would sell a lot more than in 2015 based on From's reputation alone. Anyone suggesting Bloodborne wouldn't do well on PC is a complete and utter moron.

Why do you think Armored Core VI is getting so much hype when the series predates Dark Souls yet no one gave a damn about it prior to this one? How much are you willing to bet Fires of Rubicon will outsell the other titles to an hilarious degree?

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

What a ridiculous post. For one, Elden Ring most definitely isn't superior to Bloodborne. For two, Bloodborne was released all the way back in 2015 and From did not have the reputation that they do now.

Their fame and acclaim increased with each game, culminating with Dark Souls III that sold over 10M and the hype surrounding Elden Ring catapulted them to the forefront. A bloodborne released in 2023 would sell a lot more than in 2015 based on From's reputation alone. Anyone suggesting Bloodborne wouldn't do well on PC is a complete and utter moron.

Why do you think Armored Core VI is getting so much hype when the series predates Dark Souls yet no one gave a damn about it prior to this one? How much are you willing to bet Fires of Rubicon will outsell the other titles to an hilarious degree?

PC gamers have been clamouring for Bloodborne for years now. PC is literally a soul’s playground, they were all successful on it.

So years of wanting Bloodborne in almost every discussions of ports to PC. I never saw like a big thirst for say, Sackboy, Ratchet and Clank, etc.

Saber

Gold Member

Of course is superior. It's not superior for people like you because it helps on your portbeg logic.
Bloodborne is a Souls heavly emphatized on the offensiviness/aggressiveness. To the point of encouraging quickly picking health back through attacks and basically almost no deffensive options. Even the only shield in the game has a big "don't use it's crap" as a lore.
Elden Ring is a superior because of the flexibility of builds and wide range of gameplay options to suit to all tastes.

The only real morons are people like you believing otherwise, all for the sake of portbegging. Every port thread is aways the same thing. Isn't the decades worth of Bloodborne rumors not enough for you?

Last edited:

Holammer

A Lovecraftian Souls-like that shriveled away as an early PS4 exclusive, why on earth would anyone want that? It would sell 10 millions tops, clearly not worth porting.
On a serious note, the fact that they never patched it for PS5 makes me suspect there's so bad blood or rights/license issues with the game.

Gaiff

Of course is superior. It's not superior for people like you because it helps on your portbeg logic.
Bloodborne is a Souls heavly emphatized on the offensiviness/aggressiveness. To the point of encouraging picking health back and basically almost no deffensive options. Even the only shield in the game has a big "don't use it's crap" as a lore.
Elden Ring is a superior because of the flexibility of builds and wide range of gameplay options to suit to all tastes.

The only real morons are people like you believing otherwise, all for the sake of portbegging. Every port thread is aways the same thing. Isn't the decades worht of Bloodborne rumors not enough for you?
Not a single fact in that post. Just a lot of bullshit.

Rubim

Wasn't it established that concurrent players aren't a reliable metric? I vaguely recall Sony confirming that Uncharted 4 did well on PC despite low concurrent players.

Also, those Returnal numbers hurt my soul. The game is a fucking blast and one of the best new Sony IPs in years. Is it because the protagonist is a middle-age not-so-attractive white woman?

Also, people who cry about open-world and cinematic-driven games will cry for a long time. Look at the top-sellers. When Sony does try different stuff, you ignore it and keep buying the same shit over and over again. No wonder they keep churning out those games; that's what people want.
Yes.

People see an not attractive woman, monkey brain starts to ramp up and we refund and alt+f4.

:lollipop_poop:

Senua

Bloodborne is a Souls heavly emphatized on the offensiviness/aggressiveness. To the point of encouraging quickly picking health back through attacks and basically almost no deffensive options. Even the only shield in the game has a big "don't use it's crap" as a lore.

The only real morons are people like you believing otherwise, all for the sake of portbegging. Every port thread is aways the same thing. Isn't the decades worht of Bloodborne rumors not enough for you?
Bloodborne has an unmatched atmosphere, the world is just incredible. It's so unsettling traversing it's world especially the first time. Much superior to elden ring in that regard...elden ring felt kind of aimless in comparison but hey that's what happens when they just throw a giant open world at you and say "go anywhere". They have their positives and weaknesses compartively

Also what's with the name calling? Do better my man

Gaiff

He did the exact same(he called me a moron in his original post). He edited before you even noticed lol
No, my line is still there;

Anyone suggesting Bloodborne wouldn't do well on PC is a complete and utter moron.

But since you've established that you're just a lame troll, let's finish this.
Prove me instead of shitposting.
Me shitposting when you're writing gems like this?

Plus most PC players are touchy about the aspects of Fromsoftware games and would rather focus on other stuff rather than gameplay. They will be either be complaining its a bad port, graphic is not good, fps is not good, etc. Its a complete waste of resources, regardless of how much decades worth of Bloodborne port begging people make.

Probably why Elden Ring peaked at almost 1M players on Steam and likely sold the most there out of any individual platform. I've entertained you for long enough and can clearly see that you're a troll.

Last edited:

Tomi

It's a 3d Platformer on PC. Comparing it to other titles in the same genre:

Sonic Frontiers - 19,181
Racthet & Clank Rift Apart - 8,757
A Hat in Time - 7,312
Yooka-Laylee - 6,508
Spyro Reignited - 4,198
Crash Nsane Trilogy - 3,755
Sonic Forces - 2,058
Sonic Generations - 1,686
Crash 4 - 454 (Launched much later, originally battle.net exclusive)
Sonic Lost World - 252
Sonic Colors Ultimate - 90

What were you expecting?

Even ignoring that 3d platformers are an underperforming genre on PC compared to Consoles these numbers are still reasonable in comparison to GoW for example. GoW sold over 20m on PS4, 70k peak on Steam. Ratchet games typically sell 2-4m lifetime on PlayStation consoles, so why would it's peak be anywhere close to titles like GoW, Horizon or Spider-man.
/Clap
And you forgot this game is actualy 2 years old

Why do you care? Their opinion means nothing.

What you should be concerned with is the PC audience not supporting these games. Because, that's what could result in these games staying exclusive to console in the future.
This. People complain that Sony doesn't port their games to PC or port quick enough and then they don't buy them.

bender

What time is it?
Wait Returnal sold like shit?

foxtv GIF by Masterchef

I think Sony did a disservice with how it was priced on PS5 and later on PC. It will be interesting to see what lessons are learned from it and despite it being a deeply flawed rogue-lite/like, it's easily one of the more interesting/risky games that Sony has put their might behind.

Days Gone's 27k CCUs translated to 850k in a year. Just $22 million in revenue. 9k would mean sales of 300k in a year and just $7 million in revenue.

the fact that nixxes worked on this for 8 months after shipping miles in december last year, probably means it will lose sony money. nixxes is not a big studio but seeing as how their big studios cost $50 million a year to run, this studio is probably $15 million.

More than likely, getting Ratchet to run to PC isn't a sunk cost - it will simply go into their work on Spider-Man 2 for PC since SM2 and R&C share the same PS5 exclusive engine

lmimmfn

Loved R&C since my brother bough the original on PS2( I wouldnd have got it as considered it a kids game).

Anyway got it on PC playing it on Steam Deck, got to the end, last battle 25% left on enemies health and crash, now it won't load lol.

I have several game breaking bugs before that.

I was enjoying it but consider it a POS now preventing me from finishing it after investing the time. Lesson learnt, don't buy anything on release on PC.

*EDIT* recovered my save using desktop mode in steamdeck, at least there's that 😀

Last edited:

StueyDuck

That's true but they also risk to lose alot of marketing money. Doing marketing in any real capacity isn't free rho.
Oh yeah you can't put it on busses and all that.

But at least like put a demo during a steam fest and get eyes on it with streams or something... pc gaming is a whole different beast and they need to learn to market their games better than adding a single trailer to the PS YT and farting a steam page up with little effort

Even though none of us are like that. Majority of steam users just launch steam then launch Dota 2 and that's it, they probably don't even know a steam store exists 🤣

Last edited:

Fabieter

Oh yeah you can't put it on busses and all that.

But at least like put a demo during a steam fest and get eyes on it with streams or something... pc gaming is a whole different beast and they need to learn to market their games better than adding a single trailer to the PS YT and farting a steam page up with little effort

Absolutely its just kinda their thing when a gaming release don't have priority for them. They send a whole lot of games out to die on consoles too. Stuff like gravity rush tanked hard but it didn't have a fair chance to succeed.

Kerotan

it's a silly kids game with mediocre rtx. PS5 players minds were blown but on PC it is a junk game. £50 for this? lol no thanks. let me know when it's <£10.
Seriously a bunch of peasants on pc. The kid on the front of the trocaire box would probably buy his games at a higher price then you lot.

Aenima

Not surprizing. Ratchet is a pretty low profile IP outside the playstation circle. Whats surprizing to me is how bad Returnal sold on PC since PC gamers are usually all over rogue-like games. And Returnal had God tier gameplay.

StueyDuck

Absolutely its just kinda their thing when a gaming release don't have priority for them. They send a whole lot of games out to die on consoles too. Stuff like gravity rush tanked hard but it didn't have a fair chance to succeed.
It is definitely Sonys MO... they've gotten much better with their tentpole titles on PS.

But still doing their lackadaisical methods on PC like how they handled the vita... luckily the PC install base is going to make these games at least slightly profitable, like 9000 concurrent may not be setting the world on Fire but it's still a decent bit of change

The port was done in house too right? And insomniac?

So there's probably some worthwhile tech they were able to implement and rnd and considering they already have the pipeline of getting these titles on pc with SM and MM. so it's probably more of a net gain overall then many on here want to believe

Fabieter

It is definitely Sonys MO... they've gotten much better with their tentpole titles on PS.

But still doing their lackadaisical methods on PC like how they handled the vita... luckily the PC install base is going to make these games at least slightly profitable, like 9000 concurrent may not be setting the world on Fire but it's still a decent bit of change

The port was done in house too right? And insomniac?

So there's probably some worthwhile tech they were able to implement and rnd and considering they already have the pipeline of getting these titles on pc with SM and MM. so it's probably more of a net gain overall then many on here want to believe

As of rn I dont think it was really worth it but I think sony is playing the long game with their pc releases. They get some people paying 60 bucks day one but it will sell for years to come. It will make up a nice revenue stream. If it makes up possible downsides is hard to say, but iam pretty sure Sony dont care for those early sales on pc.

Top Bottom