• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Game Catalog lineup for May: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Humanity, Watch Dogs: Legion

Varteras

Gold Member
Head Brain GIF
Smirk Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Crayon

I'm scrolling through it right now and it is a pretty good selection. If I didn't want to spend much money, I could deal with this. Even the classics is a lot better than the last time I checked.

Fabieter

That all depends on if enough people are still willing to buy games in the future.

If that's the case than there is no reason to put the games day one into the service.

We can clearly see it with netflix that like 250m subs aint enough to put alot of high budget content out. And high budget games are already more expensive than high budget shows. Budget and games won't stay the same if subs will be the primary way to consume games

ergem

We used to say that about their PC games, then putting their games on the service. And now look at this.

The market is changing and Sony is reacting to that change.

They won't put their games day1 in 2-3 years though. They will do it slowly, like they did with their PC games.

Sony watched MS fail with that strategy. Less and less people buy into xbox ecosystem because of day 1 PC. Jim is not that stupid like Phil.

Mahavastu

Is Legion any good and do I have to have played the first two Watch Dogs?
If you liked the other 2, you will probably like this. I had a lot of fun :pie_beaming_smiling:
The idea with "hire everyone on the streets" did not really work for me, but then it was one of my first PS5 games and I enjoyed the graphics... Nice game...

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There's not much value in owning most games for me, especially games I'll only play once. I just want to play games. With subscription services It usually costs me less than two dollars per game per month to play the games I want to play
Fair, but depending on what the games you like are, this may not be a sustainable model at all. Either subscriptions would raise in price a LOT to share enough money with game companies or games would change to survive and thrive in the new economy and would not be the games you like anymore.

Fabieter

Fair, but depending on what the games you like are, this may not be a sustainable model at all. Either subscriptions would raise in price a LOT to share enough money with game companies or games would change to survive and thrive in the new economy and would not be the games you like anymore.

Its bonkers to me that people dont get this. We are on a transition phase where games are made for traditional b2p model. This will change 100%.

Premium sucks yet again.

Classics continue to be a huge letdown.
not really, only for those who don't value what is offered for some close minded reason.
People always whine about no games, and at the same time some (other) people whine about why is this or that Premium and not Extra. Ghostbusters is yet again a PS4 remaster and some people on the blog are annoyed why they would not be able to play it.

They did not add huge amounts of games to Premium, but also did not remove many either, especially not those PS1 PS2 garbage some people pretend to want.
The PS Plus library is a steal for any new comers
It's a steal for anyone. (as is GP) Unless you are full time streamer or unemployed there is no way you can play all the good games such a service offers. Unless you only like fighting games or only racing games or some other singular genre. It's practically overwhelming for people who like all sorts of games and are also not limiting themselves to only the biggest blockbusters. Which would make such a buffet offering maybe anyway not even that attractive.
I have almost all of these but recognize this is a great month overall.
That said I'm still bitter that Sony is removing first party titles for no reason.......
There are several reasons.

Keep your fomo engaged. Even though you basically say the opposite, I have all, but am bitter that they remove games I anyway have, which makes no sense.

For streaming keeping hundreds of games available is certainly no easy job. Must be at least 5TB drives for PS4 and 2TB drives for PS3 or more for every unit, plus managing savegames in that extra cloud.

I'd rather have them rotate the entire library than just 100 third parties all the time. If you actually are interested in this or that first party title you should play it when it's in there and not feel entitled to "own" it which such a service is not offering and they never promised anything else than a selection of hundreds of games.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
not really, only for those who don't value what is offered for some close minded reason.
People always whine about no games, and at the same time some (other) people whine about why is this or that Premium and not Extra. Ghostbusters is yet again a PS4 remaster and some people on the blog are annoyed why they would not be able to play it.

They did not add huge amounts of games to Premium, but also did not remove many either, especially not those PS1 PS2 garbage some people pretend to want.

It's a steal for anyone. (as is GP) Unless you are full time streamer or unemployed there is no way you can play all the good games such a service offers. Unless you only like fighting games or only racing games or some other singular genre. It's practically overwhelming for people who like all sorts of games and are also not limiting themselves to only the biggest blockbusters. Which would make such a buffet offering maybe anyway not even that attractive.

Keep your fomo engaged. Even though you basically say the opposite, I have all, but am bitter that they remove games I anyway have, which makes no sense.

For streaming keeping hundreds of games available is certainly no easy job. Must be at least 5TB drives for PS4 and 2TB drives for PS3 or more for every unit, plus managing savegames in that extra cloud.

I'd rather have them rotate the entire library than just 100 third parties all the time. If you actually are interested in this or that first party title you should play it when it's in there and not feel entitled to "own" it which such a service is not offering and they never promised anything else than a selection of hundreds of games.

It literally costs Sony next to nothing to keep the most popular first party titled on the system despite your "space concerns". The vast majority of users are not streaming the games.

Ms has every single AAA titles they own on gamepass and they are not rotated out for any reason. And they have way more cloud users. But your saying Sony isn't able to do this?

Lastly, read again, I never said I was unhappy they removed games I already own. (I didn't even name the games that are being removd)
Your fake outrage at my supposed double standard isn't even properly placed.

Last edited:
Best deal in gaming. Seriously when compared to Game Pass, PS+ Extra has better catalog offerings. Game Pass has 2 Assassin's Creed games while PS+ Extra has almost all of them. Far more Ubisoft games in general on PS+ Extra. Far more titles from Square Enix and Bandai Namco. All the Tomb Raider and Life is Strange Games. Better first-party content between all the PS4 and PS5 exclusives. Great smaller titles from XSEED, NIS America, and D3. Pretty much the same Bethesda and Sega games.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't see subscription services ever completely replacing the traditional sales model. The only way it works is at scale. It can't support first and third party AAA unless the service is really expensive or there are a ton of people paying and playing. I also think the current AAA model is going to collapse because the long development times and rising costs for large single player experiences are going to become too much for most third party devs to carry, so it's going to give way to more service-based games with recurring revenue hooks.

I know that I'm the one who has changed. I'm already in a place where most new games aren't what I like anymore which is why I'm not interested in buying them. They haven't made many new games in my favorite genres since the early PS360 days. I enjoy more arcade-style pick up and play games since that's what I grew up with. We got a lot of what I like though the PS2 generation. But after the PS2 companies started to settle into focus tested formulas and pretty much everything AAA has become by the numbers cinematic or FPS numbered sequels, soulsborne, roguelikes, or mundane open worlds. AAA gaming has never been less creative or more boring for me.

That said, when something new comes along that I really love I still buy it and I want to play the best version of it. Its just that for me only a couple of AAA games per year are like that. Indies take a lot of my time these days because they offer more of what I love at a price that's appropriate.

feynoob

Banned
How is this closer to day 1 when Horizon Forbidden West released later and came out on PS+ Essential/Premium earlier?
Nobody expected horizon to be dropped on the service after 1 year.
Right now they are testing the waters.

So how does this work?

PS Plus Extra gets you access to "Free" games right? Or is it Premium I need?

So if I get that I can play Guardians of the Galaxy and Rift apart this month?

Last edited:

Unknown?

There's not much value in owning most games for me, especially games I'll only play once. I just want to play games. With subscription services It usually costs me less than two dollars per game per month to play the games I want to play and there's no ownership model as cost effective for me. The only caveat is I usually don't play new games at launch unless I get lucky with GameFly. But honestly with the state games tend lo release in anymore it's usually best just to wait.
If you buy physical, you can play once and sell for a decent return. With subscription you are only paying about two dollars per game but you keep paying two dollars for that game even after you stopped playing it.In fact you're paying money for a ton of games you'll never play.

Word. There are many beloved and revered franchises as well as gems that just aren’t represented at all.

So far it feels like Bend have put in the most legwork. We should definitely be seeing the original crash, Spyro, Tomba!, metal gear solid etc being released.

CosmicComet

Interested in Themyscia for its obvious Bloodborne inspired style.

Also interested in Blade Dancer since I'm a sucker for JRPGs.

Don't give a damn about the rest of that.

Last edited:

Aenima

So how does this work?

PS Plus Extra gets you access to "Free" games right? Or is it Premium I need?

So if I get that I can play Guardians of the Galaxy and Rift apart this month?
Just need Extra to all the PS4 and PS5 games from the catalog. Premium is for PS1/PS2/PS3 games, you can also stream games from the cloud with Premium.

So yeah, if u want to play Guardians of the Galaxy and Rift Apart this month you just need Extra.

They really need to simplify it more by getting rid of extra and just have premium, advertise it more and give out more free trials.

John Wick

We used to say that about their PC games, then putting their games on the service. And now look at this.

The market is changing and Sony is reacting to that change.

They won't put their games day1 in 2-3 years though. They will do it slowly, like they did with their PC games.
Any day now mate...........
Sony aren't stupid. You think they are going to give up the revenue of the first few weeks of release?

Billbofet

I have been wanting to give PSN a shot lately. I want to check out Ratchet and Stray, etc., but I am so confused on what tier of PSN is required.
Maybe I'm dense, but there is essential, extra, and premium. Do you need at least extra for the game catalog? Or, is this available with vanilla, essential psn?

Thief1987

I have been wanting to give PSN a shot lately. I want to check out Ratchet and Stray, etc., but I am so confused on what tier of PSN is required.
Maybe I'm dense, but there is essential, extra, and premium. Do you need at least extra for the game catalog? Or, is this available with vanilla, essential psn?
Extra or Premium, if you need only Ratchet and Stray then Extra will be enough.

Lunarorbit

That humanity game creeps me out.

It has the same art direction as snes games that used to weird me out. I think it might be the blank background.

Reminds me of Out of this World and how slightly disturbing the art style was and how it heightened the alienness of the environment

StereoVsn

Finally Ratchet, now let's see GT7. Not going to buy Sony games with a sub anymore 😉. Unless they produce a new RPG.

Extra is by far the best subscription deal currently available for consoles. It's practically an objective statement at this exact moment in time. Maybe not for too much longer - TBD.

Yeah it is. They actually add big name games every month. Gamepass has been quite shit for a while now. I haven't subscribed in months. Microsofts biggest pull is day 1 first party games but their first party output sucks.

Last edited:

scydrex

Finally! Ratchet in my library with extra. The waiting was worth it. Waited for Kena, Sackboy and Ratchet to be on plus.

Sony watched MS fail with that strategy. Less and less people buy into xbox ecosystem because of day 1 PC. Jim is not that stupid like Phil.
I don't think that has much to do with it. Console gamers want to game on consoles. PC gamers want to game on PC.

The issue has been the lack of quality console exclusives. If Xbox had those, it would be doing much better, regardless if those games went day one into PC or not.

Top Bottom