• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here is Why Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is a True Next-gen Game

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Let's jump straight to the 4K screenshots I've made from the video! Put in mind that the video itself is heavily compressed, but I made PNG screenshots to preserve as much details as possible:

Raytraced reflections:

Looking into this screenshot, you can clearly see Ratchet's raytraced reflection on Clank. The red bulb on Clank's head is also reflective on his own body on other frames.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h25m18s267.png

And here is another shot showing the fine reflections on Clank's body/head:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h37m33s664.png

GIF by Grinchy Grinchy

8BhPc7d.gif

Mirror reflection on that portal and reflections of all things on the shiny floor. Some effects aren't reflective, as it seems they didn't raytrace them. It's a mixture of cubemap and real-time raytracing reflections as it seems, and this is a pre-alpha build, improved over the first reveal, and should expect better results in the final build.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-23h03m39s894.png

High-quality shadows (raytraced?):

You can spot that every hair has its own high-quality shadow:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h38m13s823.png

Even during gameplay, look at the tail fur:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h42m05s699.png

Subsurface scattering (translucency):

As noticed by Pedro Motta Pedro Motta , you can see it clearly on the pinky alien on the left here.

vlcsnap-2020-08-30-04h42m56s399.png

High-quality particles:

Just look at the liquid splash and other particles that can be extremely crowded in some parts of the demo without noticeable penalty in performance.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h27m26s545.png

A GIF by GymWolf GymWolf

jO25hC.gif

Extremely fast and dynamic transitions:

Powered by state-of-the-art SSD customization and assisted by extensively detailed I/O.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h43m56s517.png

Dynamic, high-quality damage deformation:

Some objects like the concrete blocks, you can see how different the damage model is and how they dynamically get broken eventually. Look at the side concrete blocks, you can see here even interactive particles of this lightning gun:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h29m19s836.png

Look at the detailed damage and all the debris around:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h34m48s462.png

And here they've been broken:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h36m41s867.png

Infinite draw distance without aliasing:

Whether it's close or far all the way to the outer planets/moons, everything looks insanely sharp as if it's been pulled off directly from a Hollywood CGI movie. Geometry Engines help achieving that without a performance penalty, drawing what's needed to be drawn on screen per frame budget of polygons. Look at the wood texture!

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h19m41s543.png

High polygon-count models:

Near-CGI level that made many observers skeptical at first, but it's pretty clear that it will only get better as this latest demo was a refined version of the first one. Due to Geometry Engines and in updated game engines that take advantage of them, no more LOD's that add more wasteful size to game size.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h42m36s754.png

True 3D Audio:

The sound quality is insane in that gameplay demo, use a headset to enjoy it. Many particles create their own sound, like the bullet shells for example. With all the chaos it can be overwhelming, just like in real life, but would be wonderful to spot secret treasures using True 3D Audio as some games tend to make unique sound effects for collectives. It would be appreciated in calmer situations when every sound is noticeable.

======

4d1ndq.jpg

Hope you enjoyed reading.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h40m18s493.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h14m09s427.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h41m02s676.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h11m47s318.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h21m21s434.png

Download the 822MB video from here, thanks to dr guildo dr guildo :

Ratchet&Clank gameplay video - 4K direct feed 820Mb :

Enjoy !

Kudos to my friend, StevenPF from Playstar forums.

EDIT: More details found and helpful posts by other posters, thanfully:

What about that subsurface scattering / translucency on that pink alien to the left?

86nUL7m.jpg

I still wish we had realtime 3D water simulation instead of sprite based water splashes :-/

PXuV6Ty.png

sXNGz8I.png

LKwH8fv.png

What it was on the PS4 PRO

LYYHrW2.png

It still looks great!

DOF change
6rfuL4X.jpg

IrENZjG.jpg

OkEwsuC.jpg

Amazing video by NXGamer NXGamer

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
How much of these features have to be disabled to play 60fps mode?

Probably resolution to be reconstructed from a lower native resolution using AI image reconstruction, a step above checkerboarding on PS4.

Spiderman looks insane. Can't wait for the gameplay reveal.

ND is feeling jealous at the moment, Insomniac is already setting the bar high. GG as well. More than sure the final Horizon FW will be much better than what we've already seen, reminds me of the rough image of Horizon ZD few years before release.

the_master

Raytraced reflections:

Looking into this screenshot, you can clearly see Ratchet's raytraced reflection on Clank. The red bulb on Clank's head is also reflective on his own body on other frames.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h25m18s267.png

And here is another shot showing the fine reflections on Clank's body/head:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h37m33s664.png
I actually can't see that in the images, looks like a cubemap.

High-quality, raytraced shadows:

You can spot that every hair has its own high-quality shadow:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h38m13s823.png

Even during gameplay, look at the tail fur:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h42m05s699.png
The fur looks great but I am also not sure it casts any shadow. Does it? Maybe I am wrong but it seems like the images can show different fur normals lighting differently with no shadows.

High-quality particles:

Just look at the liquid splash and other particles that can be extremely crowded in some parts of the demo without noticeable penalty in performance.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h27m26s545.png
Yeah. Awesome particles and so many!
Extremely fast and dynamic transitions: