• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Sequel and Gran Turismo 7 are Cross Generation Titles

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
It has become clear that "We believe in generations" was less about going all in with the PS5 and showing that generational leap, and more about "oh shit, we don't have the expertise/infrastructure/whatever to offer robust BC like MSFT so we will hide behind a ridiculously vague statement to obfuscate the issue and attempt to gain cred with gamers."

Reindeer

How did you identify it as ”looking cross gen”?

It’s a racing game, I seriously have no idea what in the games design would indicate its a true next gen game outside of ray-tracing and higher res textures. Both of which were present in the gameplay demo we saw last year.
Beyond higher res textures and RT it was barely a step up from Sport, basically GT Sport remastered. Look at the deference between 6 and Sport and you'll see what a generational jump looks like.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It has become clear that "We believe in generations" was less about going all in with the PS5 and showing that generational leap, and more about "oh shit, we don't have the expertise/infrastructure/whatever to offer robust BC like MSFT so we will hide behind a ridiculously vague statement to obfuscate the issue and attempt to gain cred with gamers."
Very well said, sir.

nbkicker

Its starting to feel there was no rush for me going out last yr to buy a ps5, its starting to look like ratchet is only game that i want that i couldnt play on my ps4 pro, so much for sonys hype last yr and them with “ unlike xbox we believe in generations, you gonna be playing games on the ps5 where u cant play anywhere else”

elliot5

Damn, and that's following the rumors Ragnarok was PS5-only and GT7 also being PS5-only (tho there was that Spanish listing last year for GT7 mentioning PS4).

TBH this isn't a big deal; I think in light of stuff like Horizon: Forbidden West, it should be more than clear last-gen (at this stage of current-gen so far) isn't the limiting factor of what games can do in terms of fidelity, that's down to the developer, their talent and available resources. Sony's teams seem more capable than most in this respect, so it's not really an issue for me.

Plus going by Miles Morales cross-gen isn't stopping the lionshare of sales being on the current-gen systems. While it does mean in terms of certain game design mechanics, FW and GT7 might not be "next-gen", that's really just an assumption and to be perfectly honest there's not much in game mechanics themselves the new systems can do the previous ones can't outside of maybe some SSD features (not every game's gonna need that tho) and seamless cloud integration. Other things like physics and AI logic can be scaled generally well, even if some effort is required.

If I were told Forbidden West was using PS5 as the lead platform, I'd believe it. The only thing WRT this cross-gen stuff I'm still miffed on is the gaming media never issuing apologies for trying to slaughter Microsoft for openly stating commitment for cross-gen back in early-mid 2020; a lot of sensationalism was drummed up in those articles that was never needed (though the somewhat lukewarm presentation of Halo Infinite didn't do much to quell those concerns).

EDIT: Also this might be a reach but I think so many of Sony's 1P for this and next year being cross-gen could help explain why they've been so consistent with 1P releases since launch. Not excusing Microsoft for their lack of consistency in 1P releases for their new systems, but it might be a factor there.
Pretty level headed take in a sea of reactions.

I have no qualms with Microsoft or Sony releasing cross gen games like Forza, Halo, Horizon, God of War, etc. The more people get to play, the better. More money to invest in the next. All fine by me.

This means the true next gen games in 3-4 years by them will really be built from the ground up after getting initial systems and tools in place in-house to harness next gen power. It'll make the finale of God of War and Horizon (assuming that gets a third) absolute banger games.

I really don't think the quality of games will suffer much. Sony's teams have proven that not to be the case before.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So the dream about seamless travelling between worlds in GoW goes out of the window.
For GT7 it makes sense atleast, ssd doesn't change core gameplay in a racing game. It will be just faster loading, RT, better graphics etc., they can scale that back for PS4.

Looks like you never played Miles Morales...

SpokkX

Well this sucks

this will SEVERLY cripple the game design on gow especially?

remember those long slow rows across the lake? Those slow climing sections? The gating of the world with small gaps to squeeze slowly through?

yep - those were there for LOADING purposes and it means ps5 will get all that crap too in gow2

as it stand it seems likely MS will go all next before sony. Is star field really xbox one too? Fable?

Last edited:

Stuart360

Remember when a retailer posted a PS4 Demon’s Soul box art and people freaked the hell out to try to discredit it?
To be fair, quite a few people have said they could see the PS4 capable of running Demon's Souls at 1080p/30 with lower resolution textures..
Imo only one game we know of so far looks beyond PS4 and thats Rachet and Clank, and even then does it really look THAT far ahead of the PS4 veresion?.

Sakura

I don't think it would be as big a deal if they were also putting out a number of equally big exclusives, but alas.

Allforce

I was hyped for this but now with the delay to Dec 31st 2022 and confirmation the visuals are fucking PS1 quality I'm out

Bryank75

Banned
I am fucking sick of Jim Ryan and his bitch boy Hermen Hulst.

Can we get an actual gamer running PlayStation and some Japanese first party games? Along with next gen only titles?

Less mobile and cloud talk and more studio / publisher acquisitions.

These fools have no idea what they are doing, they think they can push what they like and we have to gobble it up.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Colin is a 100% right. This is new. PS5 is outselling the PS4 and these cunts are releasing last gen games left and right.

There is zero excuse here. There is no precedent either. Sony never did this before. Even GoW2 was PS2 only and they ended up releasing Resistance, Motorstorm, HEavenly Sword, Ratchet, Warhawk, Uncharted, Folklore all in that first year when GoW2 went on PS2.

Their profits are higher than ever. They make more profits from PS+ in a year than they made from PS2 the entire gen. Their exclusives sell $200 million and 4 million in three days when all of their exclusives in the PS3 era couldnt combine to outsell Halo 3's opening 3 million in sales. See that infamous Aaron Greenberg tweet.

This is quite shocking and proof that Sony has turned into a fucking joke of a company. They arent just complacent or arrogant like PS3 era Sony or Wii era Nintendo. They are greedy like Activision or EA, and they are holding back gaming. You are holding back an entire generation when your best studios are stuck making last gen games and make no mistake, these are last gen games, cross gen is just a fancy term for last gen.

Absolutely despicable from Sony seeing as how much success they have had in the last 8 years.

Last edited:
The only way this makes sense for GOW 2 is if they give up on the single cut gimmick, like the first one had A LOT of slow elevator rides and masked loading sections that were a chore to play, but understandable considering what they were going for. Like it sucked but it was easy to accept considering the overall presentation. It's less understandable if you have the Cerny Powered SSD. The only way they can make instant loading on the PS5 while also having a PS4 version is by not doing the camera gimmick.

anthony2690

Banned
Returnal, Demon's Souls remake and R&C say hello. Don't forget in that same interview Ryan also said they'd continue to support the PS4 for years to come he NEVER said they wouldn't make cross-gen games.
I honestly don't care.
Anyone with half a brain knew the games would come to both ps4 and ps5, same with upcoming games on xbox one and series s/x.
It just amused me how gaf were burning xbox on the stake for saying they will release games on xbox one still, and running with the we believe in generations for ps5.
Hopefully the console warriors feel a little silly, as they are the worst and ruin all gaming forums.

Regardless Sony have a very strong line up early in the ps5 life even if most games are on ps4 too.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
giphy.webp

At least they won't be £70 then

skit_data

Its starting to feel there was no rush for me going out last yr to buy a ps5, its starting to look like ratchet is only game that i want that i couldnt play on my ps4 pro, so much for sonys hype last yr and them with “ unlike xbox we believe in generations, you gonna be playing games on the ps5 where u cant play anywhere else”
Well, there is nothing untrue about those statements really. Disingenous, sure, but it cant be considered lying.

Maybe it’s different to a lot of people but I already feel my purchase was completely justified by Demon’s Souls and Returnal alone. I am a sucker for those type of games though

McCarth

Horizon and soon to be Halo have/are going to show this all to be moot, but I'm sure people will still freak out about it.

Pedro Motta

LOL I knew the shit storm was coming.
Personally I don't give a fuck if the games are cross gen, they will be awesome and GOTY candidates as ever.

People in here that are throwing around the "We believe in generations" and mentioning apologies to Uncle Phil, Sony delivered Demon Souls, Returnal, Ratchet and Destruction All Stars, Uncle Phil is the one who should be apologising for not delivering anything.

I am fucking sick of Jim Ryan and his bitch boy Hermen Hulst.

Can we get an actual gamer running PlayStation and some Japanese first party games? Along with next gen only titles?

Less mobile and cloud talk and more studio / publisher acquisitions.

These fools have no idea what they are doing, they think they can push what they like and we have to gobble it up.

I mean you have gobbled it up for over a year now.

Take it for what it is, but the Xbox team has been very up front on what they are doing and when. The Sony team has been slow rolling info out hoping that the slow burn works.

It's not like they just figured this all out now. They've known for awhile this was the case. They just preferred to have the warriors out there fighting the free PR wars.

sncvsrtoip

For GT7 it makes sense atleast, ssd doesn't change core gameplay in a racing game. It will be just faster loading, RT, better graphics etc., they can scale that back for PS4.
no it doesn't make sense at all as cpu is so weak that you can forget about advance physics also wonder how dynamic weather will be possible, also we can forget about 30 multiclass cars races etc.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Makes sense considering that nex-gen consoles might as well not exist to 98% of the world. Game development is expensive and limiting your base to a few million is just plain dumb.
It depends really for me. Launching next gen only will mean much lower lauinch sales, but consistent sales, probably for the whole gen if its a good game, as more and more popeple buy next gen consoles over the coming years.
You would think with first party games that launch sales shouldnt be that important.

Top Bottom