• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Spider Man 2 opinion: and now?

Bergoglio

Let's get straight to the point: PS5 has offered incredible titles such as God of War Ragnarok, Forbidden West, GT7 and now Spiderman 2. I’m tired of remakes being considered a big deal. Where are new IP's? Where is the variety and courage to propose titles that are not narrative third-person action games over and over and over again? The infographics talk about an increase in investment in GAAS, but even here, it is not clear who is developing what and what target those games will be aimed at. So, on one side GAAS, on the other SEQUELS. It's no longer about "Play the games you want on whatever machine plays them." It's about Playstation having lost or is losing that creative and original lifeblood that made previous consoles great.

The director of Insomniac seems to have announced the arrival of Spiderman 3 and a spin off about Venom, therefore, the studio will not have any creative freedom to dedicate itself to anything other than licensed products in the coming years. Guerrilla is all about the care and growth of Horizon, and rightly so. Sucher Punch takes care of Ghost of Tsushima, infact, a super sequel is expected. There remains the unknown of Naughty Dog which is not clear what they're doing, Tlou 3 or a new IP or if they "skip" the generation because of FACTIONS. There are rumors about a spin off/DLC of God of war. The Cory Barlow new IP, considering that Ragnarok was released a year ago, isn't expected before 3/4 years. In essence, it seems to me that the PS5 generation it's already defined.

There are 5 years left until the end of this generation. Nowadays to develop a triple A game you need 3 to 5 years. During 2024/2025 some large studios will probably begin to at least conceptualize their next game from a next gen perspective, and this is not me saying this, but rather Schreier's sources.

Honestly, barring any sensational surprises, I don't see a PS5 generation as exciting as the 4th and previous ones.

ungalo

Is the Cory Barlog new IP even a real thing ?

PS4 was precisely the building of strong new IPs, that they intend to exploit now. They cut off what didn't work and they'll continue what works. If you don't want that don't buy the next games i guess. It's only if those IPs show signs of slowing down that they will consider new things.

Until then you'll have new IPs, but multiplayer games/GAAS (mostly, there's also Returnal for example, with less budget).

Last edited:
The games are coming, every year PlayStation will have at least one GOTY contender, promised and guaranteed. I know the Jim Ryan era of communication has been frustrating but that's irrelevant, all the studios have been working on stuff, not talking about any of the GaaS bullshit. Don't know why you or anyone wouldn't have faith in a company that has delivered the goods generation in and generation out, every year like clockwork.

We really need another PSXperience before xmas. But marketing seems not to care much about providing a glimpse in the future. It works, since people still trust Sony a lot, but still, it feels just empty.

We know of Helldivers 2 which is clear what it will be. Wolverine is in the making and I guess it will be a bit GoW-like, Spiderman without swinging but far more brutal in combat. We know of Marathon. And a vague GaaS storm is brewing which naturally drains a lot of manpower and as you say sequels are coming as expected, which leaves almost no room for new IPs (and not much support for VR2 either)

willothedog

And that's more than enough for Sony to announce and release games every year for the PS5. We don't know what any PS studio is doing and all are working on PS5 games.

A year ago you guys were worried cause we had no SM2 trailer and here we are with the game out already.

eh, the first trailer was in 2021???

Do we even have a reveal trailer for any new 1st party PS5 exclusive beside Wolverine? This is what makes (not only) me "concerned" :pie_eyeroll:
For 2024, Rise of the Ronin, Death Stranding 2, and maybe Wolverine. All of those have trailers. If Sony releases all of those, its a great year. 2 big Sony 1st party games per year average is what I'm hoping for this generation

Last edited:

Three

Let's get straight to the point: PS5 has offered incredible titles such as God of War Ragnarok, Forbidden West, GT7 and now Spiderman 2. I’m tired of remakes being considered a big deal. Where are new IP's? Where is the variety and courage to propose titles that are not narrative third-person action games over and over and over again? The infographics talk about an increase in investment in GAAS, but even here, it is not clear who is developing what and what target those games will be aimed at. So, on one side GAAS, on the other SEQUELS. It's no longer about "Play the games you want on whatever machine plays them." It's about Playstation having lost or is losing that creative and original lifeblood that made previous consoles great.

The director of Insomniac seems to have announced the arrival of Spiderman 3 and a spin off about Venom, therefore, the studio will not have any creative freedom to dedicate itself to anything other than licensed products in the coming years. Guerrilla is all about the care and growth of Horizon, and rightly so. Sucher Punch takes care of Ghost of Tsushima, infact, a super sequel is expected. There remains the unknown of Naughty Dog which is not clear what they're doing, Tlou 3 or a new IP or if they "skip" the generation because of FACTIONS. There are rumors about a spin off/DLC of God of war. The Cory Barlow new IP, considering that Ragnarok was released a year ago, isn't expected before 3/4 years. In essence, it seems to me that the PS5 generation it's already defined.

There are 5 years left until the end of this generation. Nowadays to develop a triple A game you need 3 to 5 years. During 2024/2025 some large studios will probably begin to at least conceptualize their next game from a next gen perspective, and this is not me saying this, but rather Schreier's sources.

Honestly, barring any sensational surprises, I don't see a PS5 generation as exciting as the 4th and previous ones.

Here is a relevant lengthy leaked quote from a certain Phil and how his market disruption has affected the overall games market:

In terms of subscriptions and the impact on larger publishers I realized that I haven't really done a good job sharing our view on the disruption AAA publishers potentially see and how their role in the industry will likely change with the growth in subscription platforms like Xbox Game Pass. We should start with the question of why game publishers exist in the first place. And like many other forms of media the idea of a game publisher was created from an access "moat"; like movie studios locking up theater distribution, album companies locking up radio play, game publisher's scale in physical retail game sales allowed them to secure retail shelf space, in-store promotion and margin structure beyond what any individual studio could dictate when games were primary sold in retail stores. If you were a studio, you needed a AAA publisher to reach a customer at an Egghead software. [NB. Egghead Software was a brick-and-mortar retailer that went bankrupt in 2001.].
This constriction in the access from creator to consumer stayed in place for years and in that time AAA game publishers increased their control. The creation of digital storefronts like Steam, Xbox Store and PlayStation Store eventually [democratized] access for creators breaking physical retail's lock on game distribution.

AAA publishers were slow to react to this disruption. The AAA publishers did not find a way to leverage the moat that physical retail created in the digital realm in a way that had them continue their dominance of the game marketplace. They have not found a way to effectively cross promote, they have not found a way to build publisher brands that drive consumer affinity (the way Disney has in video), they did note create a social platform that would allow them reach beyond their aggregate IP [monthly active users].

Without a lock on physical distribution the role of the AAA publisher has changed and become less important in today's gaming industry. Over the past 5-7 years, the AAA publishers have tried to use production scale as their new moat. Very few companies can afford to spend the $200M an Activision or Take 2 spend to put a title like Call of Duty or Red Dead Redemption on the shelf.

These AAA publishers have, mostly, used this production scale to keep their top franchises in the top selling games each year. The issue these publishers have run into is these same production scale/cost approach hurts their ability to create new IP. The hurdle rate on new IP at these high production levels have led to risk aversion by big publishers on new IP.
or boldly enough to scale. They also lacked a platform like Xbox console to launch on top of launching on Xbox, as we know, gave us access to a large player base, creator base and monetization base.

We launched our new subscription platform from the existing device platform. We've offered to help AAA publishers, and we are with EA Access carried in Xbox Game Pass Ultimate this year (very possible that Ubisoft's subscription comes to XGPU as well) but overall the AAA publishers are too reluctant to put $60 retail at risk to create a more predictable revenue stream and without an existing per user monetization platform they lack real distribution.

On the flipside, the individual studio or smaller publishers see XGP as an incredible way for a studio to get their IP in front of millions of players, offset risk by selling us an XGP window for their title, and gain the viral exposure that gameplay on our network provides. The vast majority of XGP's early release, non [first party] games are independent studios offsetting their title risk by working with us on a window and doing so successfully.

XGP and our ID@Xbox program are two main reasons why we've seen a 3x increase in developers on Xbox this generation compared to the 360 generation. Circling back to [Take-Two Interactive] on Friday. They have supported us with XGP, they were a launch partner and continue to participate, even with their biggest game Grand Theft Auto. They are interested in bringing their second biggest franchise, Red Dead Redemption, to XGP as well. But they are also concerned about the transition and how XGP will impact their long term economics and if they are being honest on Friday this should come up.
Much like how Netflix disrupted video, gaming subscriptions will disrupt the AAA publishers, whether it's our subscription, Apple Arcade or Amazon's coming subscription, this change is coming. Our goal is to find a way to both grow our subscription (which is our new platform) and help the AAA publishers build towards a successful future. For publishers with 2-3 scale franchises that's a difficult transition.

Again, taking a clue from Hollywood, it's not clear how a standalone subscale media publisher grows is this world without adapting to new paradigms or getting consolidated but we believe we can help a Take 2 by increasing monetizable [total addressable market] across more endpoints inside of a global platform like Xbox Game Pass (inclusive of xCloud).

I'm not sure how deep the discussion with Take 2 will go on Friday but this would be a good discussion with them. They are living the disruption to their model and we are hoping this will come through. They are a good partner but also leery of these changes. Our team has these discussions with publishers all the time and we always learn from our partners as they try to navigate the moving ecosystems.

TLDR relevant parts:

Big publishers are in turmoil and to reduce risk with big budget games studios are relying on known IP. That means "sequels and remakes". Another less risky bet for them is trying to "monetise gameplay" instead so 'GaaS' has become popular in the post subscription world.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Today is an important day for video game fans. Today's step marks the first step towards the destruction of Playstation. They have been leaders for too long and I cannot accept this. Jim Ryan, despite the sales records, has sown badly and the harvest is already bad but still not enough. Here's to the slow and inexorable defeat of Playstation!

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Do we even have a reveal trailer for any new 1st party PS5 exclusive beside Wolverine? This is what makes (not only) me "concerned" :pie_eyeroll:
Why should i be concerned? It's not liek the studios are on vacation. They are all working. There is no lack of games to play. Between new IPs, sequels, DLCs etc we're always getting new stuff from Sony every year. I actually think 2024 will be a slow year for their 1st party studios and from 2025 until the end of the gen we'll be fed incredibly well.

eh, the first trailer was in 2021???
That wasn't a gameplay trailer. It was similar to the one we got from Wolverine. The first time we saw the game in action as far as i know was this year.

I personally don't trust Sony right now. I hate to say it. I don't trust Microsoft either. Both companies are full on board with Gaas and Woke bullshit. Until they go back to making new games i will mostly play 3rd party, pc and nintendo games.

There is no way Sony can launch a new game that would appeal to me (sequels aside). Do you think they have the balls to launch a new Resistance game, Killzone, Socom, Wipeout, Colony Wars, Mideval? Or something new that isn't gaas?
Will they create an epic rpg? Will they back Japanese studios anymore or European studios? Or will it be more western pandering crap? A top selling and playing game like Days Gone (one of my favorites) won't get a sequel because "grrr masculine biker bad" or some shit, "need gimped lesbo tranny in a clown suit riding a tricycle as main character then sell".. lmao I kid but sometimes it feels this way.

What happened to Nathan Drake, Killzone, Socom, and Resistance? They won't touch them.

I've been a playstation fan since the ps1. I fell out of gaming in highschool (played mortal kombat and road rash while stoned a bit that was it during the mid 90s). Playstation got me back in. Then I went full on PC (I was pc gamer in the early 90s too). PS2 and PSP brought me back to back to consoles stuff with having Jrpgs , horror and tactics games and they had me buy a ps3 with GTA4 and MGS4 back to back. I couldn't resist. The ps3 hits kept coming, i have them all on my shelf. Ever since mid-late 2010s Sony seemed to switch from catering to the traditional base of gamers like me and tried to court a new crowd, the reee and twitter crowd instead of people who consistantly bought all their games and championed them.

So if they don't make games I want to play, I won't support them. I use my ps5 mainly for gt7, ff16 , remakes and ps4 games. I play most of my stuff on the switch and pc now. My main games right now are BG3, Gothic Classic on switch, Etrian Odyessy HD, and SMB Wonder, Brotato, Dredge and Castlevania advanced collection. Nothing first party except by nintendo.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Here is a relevant lengthy leaked quote from a certain Phil and how his market disruption has affected the overall games market:

-snip-
"subscription platforms like Game Pass"

The trend towards subscription plans started before game pass. Apple Music launched in 2015. I know some of you are so eager to blame Mr Spencer and Microsoft for everything, but they were just acting on where they could see things were going. This was the right thing to do, at the right time.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
And that's more than enough for Sony to announce and release games every year for the PS5.
Sony is not the type of company that announces a game and release it in 6 months, they build hype over years, be fair they have nothing announced for 2024 right now, even games like Marathon are not confirmed for 2024, so unless if they changed their whole marketing system 2024 is going to be dryer than Microsoft’s 2022. PS5 is still going to be the top dog in sales.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Too soon for a post-game opinion because I'm only 40% done with the story. I keep swinging around fighting crime to get practice with the stuff I buy from the skill trees. My parry timing needs a lot of work.

The only thing I find weird is the appearance of hunters in some of the random encounters. Why would a hunter with swords be at the armored car robbery? I can understand the arms deal. Maybe the armored car robbery is them stealing money to buy arms? Only happened a few times so maybe it was a glitch.

kaizenkko

People use to think A LOT about future, and I doubt you guys have played all the great games who release this year (exclusives or not).

But Sony is fine and their output is complety normal. In fact, these 3 years for PS5 are way better than the first 3 years of PS3 and PS4. In just 3 years they have release:

Astros's Playroom
Demon's Souls Remake
Spider-Man Miles Morales
Sackyboy
Returnal
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
GT7
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarok
Spider-Man 2

Plus, there's expansions like Ghost of Tsushima Iki Island and Horizon Burning Shores.

Re-releases like Death Stranding/Ghost of Tsushiam director's cut, Uncharted Legacy of Thieves, Final Fantasy VII Intergrade, TLOU Remake, etc.

And third-party exclusive titles like:

Kena
Sifu
Stray
Tchia
Forspoken
Final Fantasy XVI

I don't like the new way Sony use to announce their games, but I can't complain about their output. But people just wanna complain for, let's be real, no reason. In foruns I see a lot of people talking about Japan Studios and how they misses their games, but the real is that no one used to care about their.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I know that, and I thought it was obvious that I meant developed by first party studios.
I mean, what does it matter if it's a game released exclusively for the platform?

People don't look back to 2015 and think "hey, FromSoftware developed this", they talk about the game they co-developed with Sony.

Last edited:

Three

"subscription platforms like Game Pass"

The trend towards subscription plans started before game pass. Apple Music launched in 2015. I know some of you are so eager to blame Mr Spencer and Microsoft for everything, but they were just acting on where they could see things were going. This was the right thing to do, at the right time.
So you're saying Apple Music disrupted the gaming market? I'm not sure why you've bolded that section and you're mentioning Apple Music. Nobody is saying there weren't subscriptions in other markets.

It's also weird how many times I've mentioned parallels to Spotify, and Netflix and how disruptive they were in the past to sales and how music is made only to be told it isn't the same, how gamepass isn't a threat and game sales actually increase. Now I'm getting people bringing up Apple Music when I've simply mentioned Phil disrupted the market now that the cat is out of the bag.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
I mean, what does it matter if it's a game released exclusively for the platform?

People don't look back to 2015 and think "hey, FromSoftware developed this", they talk about the game they co-developed with Sony.
To my argument it did matter, I was talking about how Sony first party started releasing games none stop from 2016, I wasn’t attacking them I wasn’t console waring I don’t understand why did you get offended and started arguing,

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
To my argument it did matter, I was talking about how Sony first party started releasing games none stop from 2016, I wasn’t attacking them I wasn’t console waring I don’t understand why did you get offended and started arguing,
Offended? No, my friend. Sounds like some self-reflection is in order.

To the actual point — I didn't say you attacked them. I stated that Bloodborne is an in-house property and should always count when discussing the PS4's lineup of 2015.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

So you're saying Apple Music disrupted the gaming market? I'm not sure why you've bolded that section and you're mentioning Apple Music. Nobody is saying there weren't subscriptions in other markets.

It's also weird how many times I've mentioned parallels to Spotify, and Netflix and how disruptive they were in the past to sales and how music is made only to be told it isn't the same, how gamepass isn't a threat and game sales actually increase. Now I'm getting people bringing up Apple Music when I've simply mentioned Phil disrupted the market now that the cat is out of the bag.
You were referring to game pass as Mr Spencers own idea of disrupting the market. It was a business model in place long time before that, with Apple Music as one example.

edit I just think its equally weird how people want to pin everything on Phil Spencer personally

Last edited:

Three

You were referring to game pass as Mr Spencers own idea of disrupting the market. It was a business model in place long time before that, with Apple Music as one example.

edit I just think its equally weird how people want to pin everything on Phil Spencer personally
I didn't say he invented the first ever subscription service, I said "his market disruption". So it's weird you latched on to those words and mentioned Apple Music.

Zheph

Not several, couple, their 2014 and 2015 were bad (bloodborne is not first party) but they picked it up in 2016
so we got nothing yet? It's already much better on PS5 than it was on PS4 with the same timeframe
We do lack visibility on whats coming next but except that you guys are overblowin it

fart town usa

Gold Member
Whatever it is I'm sure I won't play it.

3rd parties and indies (and VR) are what keep me engaged. I love Sony hardware but their 1st party offerings aren't for me. I still need to get to Returnal but everything else just doesn't interest me. I did enjoy Demon's Souls but even that is whatever to me. Just a really solid remake of a style of game that is already readily available 🤷.

I also still need to play GOT so no comment on that. I'll never play GOW and I've tried Horizon and it's solid for what it is but yea, just not my kind of game.

L*][*N*K

Banned
so we got nothing yet? It's already much better on PS5 than it was on PS4 with the same timeframe
We do lack visibility on whats coming next but except that you guys are overblowin it
Didn’t say that, all I was talking about was 2024 looking like it is going to be like Microsoft’s 2022.
Offended? No, my friend. Sounds like some self-reflection is in order.

To the actual point — I didn't say you attacked them. I stated that Bloodborne is an in-house property and should always count when discussing the PS4's lineup of 2015.
It is a Sony owned IP, not developed by a Sony owned development studio, how is that to end this whole thing?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It is a Sony owned IP, not developed by a Sony owned development studio, how is that to end this whole thing?
I get that, but I'm trying to understand the ideology behind it. If it helps a platform, why does it need to be a 1st Party developed game (which Bloodborne technically is anyway, given Sony Japan co-developed)?

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
I get that. My point is why does it matter? If it helps a platform, why does it need to be a 1st Party developed game (which Bloodborne technically is anyway, given Sony Japan co-developed)?
to the point I was making it does matter, because I was talking about games developed by Sony owned studios which From Software isn’t one of them, this game is considered a 2nd party game, idk how else to explain this I just feel like I explained twice already, is understanding in oreder?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

TLDR relevant parts:

Big publishers are in turmoil and to reduce risk with big budget games studios are relying on known IP. That means "sequels and remakes". Another less risky bet for them is trying to "monetise gameplay" instead so 'GaaS' has become popular in the post subscription world.

I've been saying this for years. Multiplayer is where all the creativity and innovation resides in gaming now. GAAS isn't reliant on known IP to succeed and multiplayer gamers are much more open to new experiences.

PlayStation will make a few sensational games this gen but most of them will be GAAS titles.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
to the point I was making it does matter, because I was talking about games developed by Sony owned studios which From Software isn’t one of them, this game is considered a 2nd party game, idk how else to explain this I just feel like I explained twice already, is understanding in oreder?
It's an in-house game developed by 3rd and 1st Party devs. Pretty much the jist, but we can agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Woke garbage that is doing incredible damage to Sony and their PlayStation brand. Now when they have Microsoft on the ropes, they pull this arrogant stupid shit. Sony just can't handle prosperity and market leadership. Hope they pay a heavy price for this.

Top Bottom