• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mapping out Sony first party's Next Four years on PS5

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Playing Spiderman 2 made me realize that I still love the Sony first party formula. I liked Starfield, Callisto, AW2, Avatar and FF16, but there is just something about Sony first party that appeals to me in ways other games just dont.

Sadly, Spiderman 2 was the only such game from Sony last year with GOW coming out literally 12 months prior. With Wolverine and Death Stranding 2 as the only other games from Sony first party (i know KojiPro isnt technically first party), I was getting ready to go on a rant but then realized that they can still finish the gen strong like they did the PS4 gen.

Announced PS4 first party games at the end of 2016: Horizon, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Dreams, TLOU2, Detroit, GOW, Spiderman, GT Sports, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, Death Stranding
11 Titles for the last four years of the PS4 gen.
Announced PS5 games: Wolverine and Death Stranding 2

So since Sony is being so secretive, lets see if we can map out the remainder of the gen for PS5.

• Horizon 3 - GG confirmed they are working on the next Horizon even if they havent officially announced it.
  • Venom Standalone DLC - Leaked from Insomniac slides. Likely a Miles style expansion.
  • TLOU3 and New ND IP - ND has revealed they are working on two unannounced titles.
  • Sony Bend's new IP - Confirmed to be working on a new IP since 2021. Likely a 2027 release.
  • Ghost of Tsushima 2 - Likely a 2026 game.
  • SSM - Cory's new IP in dev since 2018.
  • Bluepoint - Revealed to be working on an Original Game instead of a remake thanks to the insomniac leak.
  • Housemarque - Confirmed to be working on a new IP by the studio.
  • Team Asobi - Only ones left over at Sony Japan

That gets us to 12 games so an even better than the output of their last 4 years on PS4. It seems like 2023-2024 are going to be an anomaly and 2025-2027 are going to be stacked. Feel free to fill out the rest if I forgot something. I left out GaaS stuff because I only like their narrative driven games. Going through a massive withdrawal after SP2.

Sony just needs to go back to their E3 2015 and 2016 days and just show us what they are working on. TLOU2 was actually revealed at PSX 2016 and Ghost was revealed at Paris Game Show 2016 and I honestly didnt mind waiting 3+ years for these games. I hate the new secrecy model.

Last edited:
Playing Spiderman 2 made me realize that I still love the Sony first party formula.
I think for me it was the opposite :/ which is a shame because Sony games are mostly what I used to play. I am though expecting news from the studios which don't have announced games and that might give me a surprise.

I would love for them to try something new and original, maybe even risk it with a high budget turn based JRPG.

SlimySnake

There's also Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and Lost Soul Aside, only mentioning the good-looking ones.
Yeah, but they are not from their first party studio and will likely not hit the cinematic highs of Spiderman, GOD and TLOU. I think only KojiPro and Rockstar can come close to getting that perfect mix of good combat, competent storytelling and fantastic setpieces. FF16 had the setpieces but faltered in storytelling. AW2 has the storytelling and graphics, but again, no gameplay or setpieces. I feel Rise of Ronin will have better combat than Ghost but will not even come close to hitting those emotional highs of Ghost, let alone matching the graphics.

SlimySnake

I think for me it was the opposite :/ which is a shame because Sony games are mostly what I used to play. I am though expecting news from the studios which don't have announced games and that might give me a surprise.

I would love for them to try something new and original, maybe even risk it with a high budget turn based JRPG.
I feel like I get those from other studios nowadays whereas not many studios can do what Sony first party does so consistently. And this despite their ridiculous woke agenda that I cant help but bitch about. However, as great as last year was for video games, i think spiderman 2 despite all its issues had the most engaging story. I hate admitting it but its true.

nial

Gold Member
Also, the second half of the PS4 gen had a lot more games (which were often of quality) than the ones you mentioned.
PlayStation consoles in general a have stronger second half (maybe with the exception of PS3, as much of a hot take this is).
So, going with the easiest stuff to guess:
Concord, Lost Soul Aside, Convallaria, God of War standalone expansion, Astro Bot and Death Stranding 2 for H2 2024
Fairgame$, Marathon, Ghost of Tsushima 2, Naughty Dog, Housemarque, London, SMS and Bend's new IP, Horizon Online, that Venom game and HOPEFULLY Gran Turismo 8 all for 2025.
Horizon 3, the NCSoft MMO, Wolverine and the heavily-rumored VASG Uncharted in 2026.
Project Gummy Bears, God of War whatever and TLOU3 for 2027.
I also fully expect a lot of more games in all these years, btw.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Also, the second half of the PS4 gen had a lot more games (which were often of quality) than the ones you mentioned.
PlayStation consoles in general have stronger second halfs than first half (maybe with the exception of PS3, as much of a hot take that this)
I am only listing the first party cinematic AAA stuff I like. Basically what they are known for. Im sure Bungie and all the other GaaS studios they've acquired will also release games on PS5. I just couldnt care less.

My son loves concrete genie, but I aged out of games like concrete genie and sackboy a long time ago.

Don't care to be honest.

Sony's lost my interest in anything they have to show.

ND have nothing to show so far this gen in the way of new games and I'm not talking about remakes
Insomniac is running with everything Marvel * YAWN *
SSM is still on that God of War buzz * BIG YAWN *
GG is stuck with Horizon for the remainder of this gen (feck me)
What is Bend upto? Not even a teaser to show?

Just a big ol' load of fuck all.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The more I think about it, Concorde is probably their most promising title right now. No clue what it really is, but it seems like a AAA space game. Exoprimal reminded me that PvE co-op content is a ton of fun.

I think people are going to skip it though because of the price point. $70 is just too much for most of the games Sony is selling. Its the reason I barely bought any. If they're smart this will be a $50 title or on PS+.

I have some interest in Ghost 2 but not $70. Asobi always has potential, as does any new IP from Naughty Dog, SSM or Bend. Cant say I have any interest in the rest at this early stage. If they were cheap or on a sub, sure. I'd play Wolverine and some of these. Venom. But for $70 its a hard out.

Woopah

Its not that Sony is being secretive, its that you are not interested in the games they are publishing. That's a very different thing.

They have announced 5 Sony published games for 2024, the same as Nintendo and more than Microsoft I believe.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I'm really tired of Sonys silence and pretentious attitude. Just make a damn showcase and reveal the road map for the next two years. Shouldn't be that hard.
Pretentious... you sure that word means what you think it does?

Let's not forget Concord and Marathon too. And the 3rd part of FF7R

Markio128

Don't care to be honest.

ND have nothing to show so far this gen in the way of new games and I'm not talking about remakes

Zombieorpheus Detecting GIF by zoefannet

nial

Gold Member
The more I think about it, Concorde is probably their most promising title right now. No clue what it really is, but it seems like a AAA space game. Exoprimal reminded me that PvE co-op content is a ton of fun.

I think people are going to skip it though because of the price point. $70 is just too much for most of the games Sony is selling. Its the reason I barely bought any. If they're smart this will be a $50 title or on PS+.

I have some interest in Ghost 2 but not $70. Asobi always has potential, as does any new IP from Naughty Dog, SSM or Bend. Cant say I have any interest in the rest at this early stage. If they were cheap or on a sub, sure. I'd play Wolverine and some of these. Venom. But for $70 its a hard out.

Helldivers 2 is $50, tho. I guess anything can happen.
Its not that Sony is being secretive, its that you are not interested in the games they are publishing. That's a very different thing.

They have announced 5 Sony published games for 2024, the same as Nintendo and more than Microsoft I believe.
Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade (and Helldivers 2 if Arrowhead nails it again) is a damn fine lineup for the first half of the year, yet all these titles are ignored by both the "Sony only makes western cinematic games!" and the "Sony only needs to make cinematic games!" crowds.

blue velvet

Don't care to be honest.

Christ, it made me realize all of that triple AAA Playstation devs you mentioned develop nothing but third person games. Sony devs are creatively bankrupt, Jesus!!! I'm glad I left slopstation years ago.

ND = Last of Us, Uncharted, cinematic third person slop
Insomniac = third person movie slop
Santa Monica = God of War series, cinematic third person slop
Guerilla = Horizon series, third person ubisoft inspired slop
Bend = last game was a zombie third person slop
Sucker Punch = wannabe Kurosawa third person slop

Woopah

Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade (and Helldivers 2 if Arrowhead nails it again) is a damn fine lineup for the first half of the year, yet all these titles are ignored by both the "Sony only makes western cinematic games!" and the "Sony only needs to make cinematic games!" crowds.
Not sure if Stellar Blade is H1, but TLoU2 Remastered is.

I'd say they have the most promising first party lineup for 2024, a vairety of new games and several new IP. Microsoft's might look equally promising after their developer direct in a couple of weeks.

Christ, it made me realize all of that triple AAA Playstation devs you mentioned develop nothing but third person games. Sony devs are creatively bankrupt, Jesus!!! I'm glad I left slopstation years ago.

Spot on.

Woopah

Just adding the word "slop" to things doesn't make it true.

SlimySnake

Should be coming out next year? What do we reckon?? Also Cory Barlog’s new game has been in dev for at least 5 years, surely should be ready to show soon?
Cory rebooted and released GOW in under 5 years. I think its safe to say his latest IP is in development hell. If it ever see the light of day, it will likely be 4 years after GOW launched.

GoT2 could be a 2025 title, but Sucker Punch is a smallish 100 person studio that took 6 years to make GoT1 so who knows. They did waste a year on their failed new IP, and sequels shouldnt take as long, but if they were making good progress, they shouldve shown something after 3.5 years of dev.

nial

Gold Member
Not sure if Stellar Blade is H1, but TLoU2 Remastered is.

I'd say they have the most promising first party lineup for 2024, a vairety of new games and several new IP. Microsoft's might look equally promising after their developer direct in a couple of weeks.
Not officially confirmed, but Stellar Blade did appear on their 'upcoming games and hardware' blog post that only featured H1 stuff (different from the one that included Silent Hill 2 and Metal Gear Solid Delta).

Last edited:

Woopah

Not officially confirmed, but Stellar Blade did appear on their 'upcoming games and hardware' blog post that only featured H1 stuff (different from the one that included Silent Hill 2 and Metal Gear Solid Delta).
Do you have a link to that one?

Mr Hyde

I'm very much interested in the games Sony are publishing, both Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin looks great, but there is no need for Sony to act all high and mighty and pretend their fans doesn't exist. Be inviting and do a damn showcase. It's like they forgot about their community and what fun is this generation.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Pretentious... you sure that word means what you think it does?

Let's not forget Concord and Marathon too.

I know what it means and that's exactly what Sony is this generation. Pretentious and fart sniffing. And Concorde and Marathon sounds like boring PvP GaaS shit.

Woopah

You're welcome.
(Foamstars is also confirmed for early 2024).
Thanks! That makes it more likely (as well as the fact it was supposed to be a 2023 game)
I'm very much interested in the games Sony are publishing, both Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin looks great, but there is no need for Sony to act all high and mighty and pretend their fans doesn't exist. Be inviting and do a damn showcase. It's like they forgot about their community and what fun is this generation.
They did their annual showcase last year and announced multiple games they are developing / publishing. I'm sure they will invite fans to an annual showcase this year, as well as multiple State of Plays.

Go_Ly_Dow

It would be silly if it takes them 6 years from the first game. Similar to how Spiderman 2 took them over 5 years from the first game, despite being a copy and paste job, short and filled with padding.

Just take the same map, move the geometry around in the editor, slap on some new textures, add a new field or two, turn on ray tracing. Bump the res to 4k and 60fps. Boom its done. I could get this done in 2 years tops.

I feel like I get those from other studios nowadays whereas not many studios can do what Sony first party does so consistently. And this despite their ridiculous woke agenda that I cant help but bitch about. However, as great as last year was for video games, i think spiderman 2 despite all its issues had the most engaging story. I hate admitting it but its true.
this is also true, their games are consistently high quality, I even forgot when was the last time there was an actual "bad" Sony first party game starting even from PS3. I don't know if that Haze game was from their side or the other one Dragon's lair or something like that it was called.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Sony's 1st party isn't making any of those games.

Helldivers 2 - Arrowhead Game Studio's
Stellar Blade - Shift Up
Rise of Ronin - Team Ninja

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony have been so silent on games that even big Phillie Spencers rumoured to be stepping in to say..."hold my beer"

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

It would be silly if it takes them 6 years from the first game. Similar to how Spiderman 2 took them over 5 years from the first game, despite being a copy and paste job, short and filled with padding.
Technically, the second Spiderman game was miles... so it took them 3 years to get the third one out. And let's not forget that in the middle of all that was a whole Ratchet game.

But yh, these really long dev cycles are a bitch.

blue velvet

Just adding the word "slop" to things doesn't make it true.
Then refute me then. I'm not talking about games they've developed centuries ago but games that were released during PS4/PS5 and their upcoming projects. Which is nothing but slop after slop after slop.
This is a 4chan meme, but this truly shows what's wrong with nu-Playstation. Sony used to have diverse mid budget and triple A games. For god sake, they don't even have a 1st party Japanese studio and a racing game studio left aside from PD or a developer that makes JRPGs no more. It's a Slopstation.\

No mid budget or AAA 1st party military shooters, arcade racers, tactical games, JRPGs. This era of Playstation sucks.

IFZVz9k.jpg

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Then refute me then. I'm not talking about games they've developed centuries ago but games that released during PS4/PS5 and their upcoming projects. Which is nothing but slop after slop after slop.
This is a 4chan meme, but this truly shows what's wrong with nu-Playstation. Sony used to have diverse mid budget and triple A games. For god sake, they don't even have a 1st party Japanese studio and a racing game studio left aside from PD or a developer that makes JRPG's no more. It's a Slopstation.\

No mid budget or AAA 1st party military shooters, arcade racers, tactical games, JRPG's. This era of Playstation sucks.

IFZVz9k.jpg
This is what lurking /v/ on a daily basis does to a motherfucker.
they don't even have a 1st party Japanese studio and a racing game studio left aside from PD (a 1st party Japanese racing game studio)
:)
or a developer that makes JRPG's no more.
In-house? They never did past 1999.

blue velvet

This is what lurking /v/ on a daily basis does to a motherfucker.

:)

In-house? They never did past 1999.
Nah, I ain't a /v/tard. Level 5 might not be in house but they might as well be given their history with playstation and Japan Studio. Nice try but I said aside from PD what racing devs do they have? How many 1st party Japanese studio that makes triple A titles do they have left? How many 1st party AAA arcade racers they released since Driveclub? Give me an example.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

With Wolverine and Death Stranding 2 as the only other games from Sony first party (i know KojiPro isnt technically first party), I was getting ready to go on a rant but then realized that they can still finish the gen strong like they did the PS4 gen.

SIE San Diego is still a first party studio. Just because their games are multi-plat, it doesn't mean they got kicked out of PS Studios. We don't exclude Mojang on Microsoft's side when talking about their 1st party studios just because Minecraft is on everything.

Woopah

Then refute me then. I'm not talking about games they've developed centuries ago but games that were released during PS4/PS5 and their upcoming projects. Which is nothing but slop after slop after slop.
This is a 4chan meme, but this truly shows what's wrong with nu-Playstation. Sony used to have diverse mid budget and triple A games. For god sake, they don't even have a 1st party Japanese studio and a racing game studio left aside from PD or a developer that makes JRPGs no more. It's a Slopstation.\

No mid budget or AAA 1st party military shooters, arcade racers, tactical games, JRPGs. This era of Playstation sucks.

IFZVz9k.jpg
Because the word "slop" on things does not stop these games being critically acclaimed, or make them play the same.

Even if we just look at the PS5 era, Ratchet & Clank plays nothing like Horizon Forbidden West, which plays nothing like GT7, which plays nothing like Returnal, which plays nothing like The Show.

Likewise if we look at 2024, Rise of the Ronin won't be like Helldivers 2 and Stellar Blade won't play like Conchord.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

SIE San Diego is still a first party studio. Just because their games are multi-plat, it doesn't mean they got kicked out of PS Studios. We don't exclude Mojang on Microsoft's side when talking about their 1st party studios just because Minecraft is on everything.
yeah i dont think anyone here would care if i left out a yearly sports franchise.

i guess i was wrong.

Top Bottom