• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mapping out Sony first party's Next Four years on PS5

as a very satisfied owner of every sony console, my take? at this point, i wish i cared. but i really don't. while i'm a fan of big-budget, triple-a games, sony's retreat into their version of 'halo/gears/forza' mode this gen has been, for me, uninspired & not a whole lotta fun. much too much playing it safe, & homogenization. i'm waiting for them to surprise me, but am not holding my breath...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Then refute me then. I'm not talking about games they've developed centuries ago but games that were released during PS4/PS5 and their upcoming projects. Which is nothing but slop after slop after slop.
This is a 4chan meme, but this truly shows what's wrong with nu-Playstation. Sony used to have diverse mid budget and triple A games. For god sake, they don't even have a 1st party Japanese studio and a racing game studio left aside from PD or a developer that makes JRPGs no more. It's a Slopstation.\

No mid budget or AAA 1st party military shooters, arcade racers, tactical games, JRPGs. This era of Playstation sucks.

IFZVz9k.jpg
i see a lot of b and c tier trash in PS Kino. thanks but no thanks.

id rather their developers focus on AAA games with high production values and do what they do best. I.e., produce A tier cinematic storydriven games with graphics and production values not seen in games other than Rockstar and maybe CD Project.

If you think a melee action game like god of war is similar to horizon a bow and arrow shooter then i cant help you. same goes for TLOU vs Ghost of Tsushima. Detroit vs Days Gone. and Spiderman vs uncharted. Just because they all share the third person view doesnt mean they are the same game. The only ones that are similar are Days Gone and TLOU2 but one is an open world game featuring hordes while the other is a linear one with a completely different combat system. it's like saying DMC and Dragons Dogma are the same game.

Besides, didnt you watch last year's trash? THAT is what Jimbo's vision amounted to. A bunch of first person gaas games.

AmuroChan

yeah i dont think anyone here would care if i left out a yearly sports franchise.

i guess i was wrong.

I don't care about the game itself. I do care that we get the information correct though. MLB is a first party developed game. We shouldn't pretend it doesn't exist just because it's an annual sports game. It's one of Sony's biggest cash cow, and arguably their only successful live service game.

SlimySnake

as a very satisfied owner of every sony console, my take? at this point, i wish i cared. but i really don't. while i'm a fan of big-budget, triple-a games, sony's retreat into their version of 'halo/gears/forza' mode this gen has been, for me, uninspired & not a whole lotta fun. much too much playing it safe, & homogenization. i'm waiting for them to surprise me, but am not holding my breath...
It's been sequel city so far yes, but i think the future is bright.
  • ND is making a new IP alongside TLOU3.
  • SSM is making a new IP.
  • Housemarque is making a new IP after making arguably the best PS5 exclusive in Returnal.
  • Bluepoint is making a new IP.
  • Insomniac is technically making an original game in Wolverine though it does look derivative.
  • Sony Bend is making a new IP
  • Team Asobi is making a new IP.
Whether or not these original games turn out to be derivative like Wolverine remains to be seen, but I think these will offer

Their biggest fuck up was taking 5 years to make sequels for horizon, spiderman, gow and tlou. These sequels used to take 2 years and by year 4, the trilogy would be complete, but now they take 15 years to tell one story. its retarded. they have to reduce the scope of these games and get them out every 3 years at the latest. I am honestly not sure why GOW and Horizon FW had to be that long. or why insomniac had to release miles and ratchet before making spiderman 2.

nial

Gold Member
Level 5 might not be in house but they might as well be given their history with playstation and Japan Studio.
Level-5 has way more of a history self-publishing Nintendo DS exclusives.
Nice try but I said aside from PD what racing devs do they have?
Why do they *need* more than one? Evolution was a great studio, yes, but this particular issue is really weird because Sony isn't really known for their non-Gran Turismo racers. Like, at all.
How many 1st party Japanese studio that makes triple A titles do they have left?
The next Astro Bot game will 100% have a bigger budget than Gravity Rush 2 and Knack 2, so Team Asobi. And Polyphony Digital, obviously.
How many 1st party AAA arcade racers they released since Driveclub? Give me an example.
While Destruction AllStars is a vehicular combat game, it was still arcadey as hell. Yes, it was also pretty, pretty mediocre, but it shows that they are still open to the idea.
And Project Carbon by Sumo Digital is probably what you're looking for, going by their job listings and that leaked Sony document.

Last edited:
Can't particularly say Sony isn't being risky when it's investing so much into the lucrative yet highly volatile GaaS market.

Either way, personally, I'm still loving their formula mixed in with a few of their oddities.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
They have 50 million consoles sold last I saw, They could release NOTHING else first party and be good.
Right because they don't need the double whammy of >90% revenue on games that sell over 10 million copies out the gate at full price. The first party games are also why people buy PSx's and they should just make it so they don't come back for ps6's too because that is good.

AngelMuffin

Man I can't wait for Ghost of Tsushima 2. Such an underrated game
Underrated already, it’s not even out. 😂

I just played through it recently and thought it was fantastic, especially the sword play…really makes you feel like a samurai. 2 is my most anticipated Sony exclusive at this point.

• Housemarque is making a new IP after making arguably the best PS5 exclusive in Returnal.
3 years in, this's very telling, imo...

Their biggest fuck up was taking 5 years to make sequels for horizon, spiderman, gow and tlou. These sequels used to take 2 years and by year 4, the trilogy would be complete, but now they take 15 years to tell one story. its retarded. they have to reduce the scope of these games and get them out every 3 years at the latest. I am honestly not sure why GOW and Horizon FW had to be that long. or why insomniac had to release miles and ratchet before making spiderman 2.
& there you go. my fear? that, rather than, as you suggest, limiting scope, or working smarter, graphically (focusing more on style/design), they'll very possibly resort to ai to maintain the whole hi-def ultra-realism look, something that could certainly result in some unexpected surprises...

but, yes, it's that gaping 'development window' that's at the heart of the whole issue, & it absolutely needs addressing if folks are expected to grab new consoles every 7-8 years (aka 'every 1 1/2 development cycles')...

Last edited:
The more I think about it, Concorde is probably their most promising title right now. No clue what it really is, but it seems like a AAA space game.

It's right there in the description under the video:

Introducing Concord—a new PVP multiplayer first-person shooter from Firewalk Studios launching on PS5 and PC in 2024.

A PvP MP FPS... hence why most of Gaf doesn't give a shit and rightly so.

Of all the projects for Sony FP to back with their big GaaS push, they decide to alienate their entire PS fanbase who typically goes for SP narrative-focussed games and back not one, but multiple PvP MP shooters (i.e. this, Marathon, etc etc).

It's a very questionable move to say the least.

Last edited:

Woopah

Of all the projects for Sony FP to back with their big GaaS push, they decide to alienate their entire PS fanbase who typically goes for SP narrative-focussed games and back not one, but multiple PvP MP shooters (i.e. this, Marathon, etc etc).

Surely it's a good thing to diversify their lineup no? The Sony fannase shouldn't be alienated just because not every game they publish is a single player.

bender

What time is it?
Kind of mixed feeling about Bluepoint. While I'm sure they want to do their own thing and I hate to pigeon hole a studio, but they are pretty damned good at remasters. Kind of feels like buying a baseball team and then seeing how they fair in the NBA.

Curious to see Housemarque's next game and if Team Asobi is going to do a full fledged Astrobot game.

Can't say I'm excited about anything else first party.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Underrated already, it’s not even out. 😂

I just played through it recently and thought it was fantastic, especially the sword play…really makes you feel like a samurai. 2 is my most anticipated Sony exclusive at this point.
You know what I meant lol

Played it on the PS4 and currently replaying on the 5 and it's a damn good game. And agreed.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Ahh, honestly had no idea. I just saw the trailer. Didnt read about it.

Yeah, disregard my entire lost then lol. I'm out. I'd try it for free but that's about it.

Surely it's a good thing to diversify their lineup no? The Sony fannase shouldn't be alienated just because not every game they publish is a single player.

Of the 12 GaaS games they announced they were working on, only one of them (Helldivers 2) even has any PvE or SP component at all.

It's not about the one game. It's that they've invested in 12 games and almost all of them are MP PvP only, which is something the core of Sony's fanbase doesn't care for. So I'd call that alienating the fanbase.

Killjoy-NL

Also, the second half of the PS4 gen had a lot more games (which were often of quality) than the ones you mentioned.
PlayStation consoles in general a have stronger second half (maybe with the exception of PS3, as much of a hot take this is).
So, going with the easiest stuff to guess:
Concord, Lost Soul Aside, Convallaria, God of War standalone expansion, Astro Bot and Death Stranding 2 for H2 2024
Fairgame$, Marathon, Ghost of Tsushima 2, Naughty Dog, Housemarque, London, SMS and Bend's new IP, Horizon Online, that Venom game and HOPEFULLY Gran Turismo 8 all for 2025.
Horizon 3, the NCSoft MMO, Wolverine and the heavily-rumored VASG Uncharted in 2026.
Project Gummy Bears, God of War whatever and TLOU3 for 2027.
I also fully expect a lot of more games in all these years, btw.
Didn't we get some hints of the Horizon Online and NCSoft MMO being the same game?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
"Concord is a bringing together of peoples. It’s the power of games to build connection and inspire social play. The Firewalk team is driven by the type of exciting, unexpected moments and shared experiences that multiplayer games create. Every time you log on is the beginning of a new adventure and every match is an opportunity for a new story. It’s these ideals that define Concord, its unique universe of vibrant worlds, and its rich cast of colorful characters."

People are sleeping on Concord. Game will be massive.

Of the 12 GaaS games they announced they were working on, only one of them (Helldivers 2) even has any PvE or SP component at all.
London Studio, Guerilla, and (maybe) Insomniac are working on co-op multiplayer games. It's a stretch but Sucker Punch was hiring for Live Service too, which could mean Ghost of Tsushimas co-op mode is getting a standalone multiplayer game.

It's not about the one game. It's that they've invested in 12 games and almost all of them are MP PvP only, which is something the core of Sony's fanbase doesn't care for. So I'd call that alienating the fanbase.
The top 3 most popular games on PlayStation over the last 5 years are...

1. Fortnite
2. Warzone
3. Apex Legends

The core PlayStation fanbase prefers PvP

icerock

It is impossible to get excited about their lineup when they don't announce anything. Their GaaS push has hurt the pipeline for SP games, which is evident by barren 2nd half of 2021. And entirety of 2023-2024 containing just one release from their studios. I'll be stunned if ND can get 2 SP games out by end of this gen, Jim and Hermen madness to chase the live service money has fucked over a lot of their studios who are now correcting course to go back to normal and I suspect this gen is going to be compromised due to it. Folks need to keep in mind Sony's spending on SP games by their own slides was cut down on SP titles (from 2020-25) and it was only going to get back to pre-2020 levels after close of FY 2025. When you consider how high development costs have gone up in space of a gen, anybody expecting a lot of mega SP release in 2nd half of gen is in for a surprise.

Sony will go out and just buy for exclusivity since it'll be cheaper, this gen is hamstrung for SP games when it comes to their studios imo.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Good muktoplayer games are not unknown on Sony platforms. Killzone was beloved by many.

People are critically because the multiplayer game is GAAS which always means bare bones release with the thinly veiled promise of future content that may be a complete game in 3-5 years of updates… if enough whales jump on.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Has Sony ever had a year where they released 1 exclusive game? I don't think ive ever seen it before.

Last year was rough and we have nothing from them for 2024. Never thought I'd see it.

To be in such a dominant position based on third party support is crazy.

I suppose fortnite etc are that big now, they can carry the mass choice console pretty easily.

Last edited:

Hudo

I hope that both SSM and Naughty Dog can make good games again. I loved both studios' output during the PS2 and PS3 era.

Emet_bp

I think there will be a second Gran Turismo game this gen - GT8 probably late 2025 or early 2026. Also there were rumours that they plan to revive some of their dead franchises, like Killzone and MotorStorm.

bitbydeath

My predictions:

Asobi - Astrobot (PSVR2 compliant, not reliant)
Bend - New IP, set in the Days Gone/Syphon Filter universe (Continuing on from the O'Brien secret ending)
BluePoint - New IP (Soulslike)
Bungie - Marathon
FireSprite - Twisted Metal, Motorstorm (PSVR2 compliant, not reliant)
Firewalk - Concord
Guerrilla - A huge open world RPG, of that we haven't seen from Sony before, Horizon 3
Haven - Fairgame$
HouseMarquee - Returnal 2
Insomniac - Venom, Spider-man 3, Ratchet and Clank
London Studio - Online Fantasy game
Mm - New IP, beginning of a metaverse
Naughty Dog - Uncharted, TLOU3
Polyphony - Gran Turismo support
San Diego - MLB24 -> 28
Santa Monica - GoW DLC, new Sci-fi IP
Sucker Punch - Ghosts 2

Woopah

But why does their fanbase have to be limited like that?

Lots of popular Nintendo games feature local multiplayer, but they arent alienating their fans by publishing games that don't have multiplayer.

It would only be alienating if Sony stopped publishing single player games. Which they are obviously not doing.
Good muktoplayer games are not unknown on Sony platforms. Killzone was beloved by many.

People are critically because the multiplayer game is GAAS which always means bare bones release with the thinly veiled promise of future content that may be a complete game in 3-5 years of updates… if enough whales jump on.
That remains to be seen, the games might be good at launch. Or maybe they won't.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
We'll see what the PS fans demand. Their taste in games has very, very rapidly (just over the last 5-6 years) gotten increasingly conservative and increasingly narrow. You see evidence of this everywhere. I don't see much evidence they are interested in experimental, or varied stuff right now.

ungalo

Not much i want to play. I hope they will publish or have partnerships for other games like Rise of the Ronin.

Don't care to be honest.

Sony's lost my interest in anything they have to show.

ND have nothing to show so far this gen in the way of new games and I'm not talking about remakes
Insomniac is running with everything Marvel * YAWN *
SSM is still on that God of War buzz * BIG YAWN *
GG is stuck with Horizon for the remainder of this gen (feck me)
What is Bend upto? Not even a teaser to show?

Just a big ol' load of fuck all.

Sony no longer makes the games I care about. This gen is the most underwhelming since I started playing video games.

My sentiments exactly and it pains me to say it. I bought two games last year and this year potentially four purchases on the horizon.

kurt cobain GIF

Lots of popular Nintendo games feature local multiplayer, but they arent alienating their fans by publishing games that don't have multiplayer.

It would only be alienating if Sony stopped publishing single player games. Which they are obviously not doing.

That remains to be seen, the games might be good at launch. Or maybe they won't.

Games featuring local MP =/= local MP-only games. So your analogy is very poor.

Sony by their own omission, will be moving to invest close to 50% of their development investment resources on MP-only GaaS games. PS fans who prefer SP games want Sony to make SP games. Every GaaS game Sony spends time, money, and dev resources on is an opportunity cost as they could have invested in SP games that their core fanbase prefers, or at least made Live Service games that have a PvE element that can address both MP gamers as well as SP gamers.

The issue is that it's not a dichotomy. Sony could have made Live Service games like Destiny with a strong PvE component that appeals to their core base, whilst also providing PvP opportunities to drive engagement and MTX spend.

The more I think about it, Concorde is probably their most promising title right now. No clue what it really is, but it seems like a AAA space game. Exoprimal reminded me that PvE co-op content is a ton of fun.

I think people are going to skip it though because of the price point. $70 is just too much for most of the games Sony is selling. Its the reason I barely bought any. If they're smart this will be a $50 title or on PS+.

I have some interest in Ghost 2 but not $70. Asobi always has potential, as does any new IP from Naughty Dog, SSM or Bend. Cant say I have any interest in the rest at this early stage. If they were cheap or on a sub, sure. I'd play Wolverine and some of these. Venom. But for $70 its a hard out.

I'm not thrilled that it's some kind of extraction shooter but if it looks like this trailer and gives off 70's and 80's themed Alien Isolation vibes with it's graphics and allows me to use some more rudimentary styled weapons such as M16's with iron sights and other cold war era equipment with AAA quality FPS gameplay, it could be really fucking sick.

Last edited:
Let's just say that the next consoles come out in 2028/2029, what I'd like to see is Sony drop two AAA games per year and make the pacing of output more even across the generation and into the future.

Having a game come out in March/April/May for the summer and then a second game in September/October/November for the holidays would be perfect imo.

And that way they don't have to blow their load all at once and have 3 AAA cinematic games in one year. Couple this with dispersing live service games in between some story driven releases and there would always be something to play.

I NEED Ghost of Tsushima 2. Rise of the Ronin looks like a pretty sick unofficial sequel that I'm definitely going to buy.

Last edited:
Then refute me then. I'm not talking about games they've developed centuries ago but games that were released during PS4/PS5 and their upcoming projects. Which is nothing but slop after slop after slop.
This is a 4chan meme, but this truly shows what's wrong with nu-Playstation. Sony used to have diverse mid budget and triple A games. For god sake, they don't even have a 1st party Japanese studio and a racing game studio left aside from PD or a developer that makes JRPGs no more. It's a Slopstation.\

No mid budget or AAA 1st party military shooters, arcade racers, tactical games, JRPGs. This era of Playstation sucks.

IFZVz9k.jpg
How I truly miss the PS3 days. That's what made me become a gamer.

If Sony still operated like that with these updated graphics engines, it would spark my love for gaming all over again.

Killzone, MAG, SOCOM, Warhawk, PAIN, Motorstorm, (Uncharted 1 and 2 which are just so happy, funny and lighthearted) all so unique if their own right.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Has Sony ever had a year where they released 1 exclusive game? I don't think ive ever seen it before.

Last year was rough and we have nothing from them for 2024. Never thought I'd see it.

To be in such a dominant position based on third party support is crazy.

I suppose fortnite etc are that big now, they can carry the mass choice console pretty easily.
Never. The worst was 2 games in 2019 when Days Gone and Death Stranding came out and 2014 when only Infamous and DriveClub released.

This is basically due to their ridiculous shift to GAAS trash. They had slides up that showed just how little they invested in SP games around 2020. Someone mentioned Ghost of Tsushima 2 releasing in 2026 above, and that is one of those games that shouldve been due in 2023. 3-3.5 years is basically how long it took respawn to make Star Wars Jedi Survivor and Remedy took 4 years but also made the Crossfire campaign in between.

However, Sony didnt increase their dev sizes for smaller 100 person studios like Sucker Punch and Sony Bend, and you are seeing the effects of that. These studios need to be 300-500 person studios to make the big AAA open world games they need to make. With 100-150 devs, you are going to take 5-6 years to make these games.

But instead of doubling and tripling these teams, Sony invested that money on GaaS studios.

schaft0620

My guess is in this order

The Last of Us 2 Remastered
Rise of the Ronin
Foamstars
Stellar Blade
Silent Hill 2
Concord
(Whatever launches with the PS5 Pro here, nothing is off the table, but I think its just one game. Something like, Gravity Rush 1+2, Bloodborne, Ghost 2, there will be 1 game here for sure but, that could be Concord)

Marathon
Venom
MGS3 Delta
Ghost of Tshuma 2 (I think this really depends on when they launch GTA6, IMO its critical for Sony to have this be the PS5 Pro Launch game, you can see 2025 gets crazy).
Fairgames

Wolverine
Twisted Metal
Housemarque
Firesprite

2028- Cross Gen PS6 games
Naughty Dog
Cory's game
GT8

Bend (Naughty Dog North) / London if either is still alive

Last edited:

yurinka

Sadly, Spiderman 2 was the only such game from Sony last year with GOW coming out literally 12 months prior.
Not true, last year Sony also released these games:
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain
  • Gran Turismo 7 VR (free version if you have the normal one)
  • Firewall Ultra
  • MLB23
  • Ghostbusters: Rise of the Ghost Lord
Plus these PC ports:
  • Returnal
  • TLOUP1
  • Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Plus these expansions / DLCs:
  • Destiny 2 Lightfall
  • Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores
  • God of War Ragnarok Valhalla
With Wolverine and Death Stranding 2 as the only other games from Sony first party (i know KojiPro isnt technically first party),
Feel free to fill out the rest if I forgot something.

They have announced first party games like TLOU2 remastered, Helldivers 2, Concord, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Convallaria or Lost Soul Aside (and the HFW PC port) for this year. Plus also other ones to be released pretty likely later like Marathon, Wolverine, Fairgame$ and more I may forget.

There are other oficially mentioned/announced/confirmed games that they didn't shown such as Horizon 3, Horizon Online, at least two Naughty Dog single player games, an unannounced Bungie new IP, Bend new IP, London Studio new IP, new GoW game set in a new mythology, next Team Asobi game being an action platformer with humor that will be bigger than the Astro games.

From job offers we know Firesprite is working on a dark horror narrative adventure and a car combat (rumored to be Twisted Metal) MP game. There's also the Ballistic Moon (ex-Until Dawn/Supermassive devs) 2nd party game. But who knows when they can announce these 3.

TLOU3 and New ND IP - ND has revealed they are working on two unannounced titles.
Not long ago Neil said he wrote a first draft for the main TLOU3 story in case they decided to develop it somewhere in the future, but that they weren't working on it.

But recently we knew they were working on at least two SP games. We knew due to a Bloomberg leak that before 2021 they were working with Bend on an Uncharted spinoff until Bend moved away from that project and TLOU Online to focus on Bend's new IP once it got greenlighted.

This leads to think ND continued working themselves on that Uncharted spinoff without Bend (maybe with someone else like Bluepoint supporting them once they completed their job on GoWR) and that also started to work on a non-TLOU3 SP project. Which I assume it's fair to think it could be a new IP (or who knows, maybe something else: when asked which IP he'd like to adapt to a videogame he said Punisher, something I'd bet both Sony and Marvel would greenlight).

I assume that after cancelling TLOU Online, they'll start working on a third SP game that would be TLOU3, where they'd rehash a lot of work -mainly game assets- made for TLOU Online.

Ghost of Tsushima 2 - Likely a 2026 game.
Yes, but maybe even 2027 or 2028. Because after GoT they released GoT Legends and the PS5 version + Ikki Island DLC and because games now take longer to be developed.

SSM - Cory's new IP in dev since 2018.
It wasn't confirmed, but Cory said after releasing GoW 2018 had he'd take a handful months as vacations with the family and after it was going to pitch a new IP. I assume he did it and early 2019 that new IP got greenlighted.

Bluepoint - Revealed to be working on an Original Game instead of a remake thanks to the insomniac leak.
According to the game credits and the LinkedIn info of many workers, after Demon's Souls the full Bluepoint team moved to work on GoWR as support team until aprox. its release.

The "original game" was God of War Ragnarok, and they don't have enough game designers to be the lead studio of a AAA title.

Team Asobi - Only ones left over at Sony Japan
Japan Studio's XDEV team (the one who published the Japanese 2nd party games) was branched out to have their own office and grow to work on more games at the same time and publish also games from the rest of Asia, not only Japan.

And they also have Polyphony, plus other Japanese teams at Sony Music.

Sony just needs to go back to their E3 2015 and 2016 days and just show us what they are working on. TLOU2 was actually revealed at PSX 2016 and Ghost was revealed at Paris Game Show 2016 and I honestly didnt mind waiting 3+ years for these games. I hate the new secrecy model.
In recent years Sony only shown/announced with a trailer games planned to be released in the next year and a half aprox, maximum a couple years. With Wolverine being the exception.

The reason is because between hardware, accesories, game sub, 1st, 2nd, 3rd party exclusives, multi AAA games with some marketing deal, indies with timed exclusivity, PC ports and movie/tv show adaptations they have a ton of short term stuff that they must market, so don't need to market stuff to be released in 3 years or more.

On top of that, if the gameplay they show is from games to be released in a year or less, that gameplay very likely will look almost exactly like in the final game, avoiding downgrade complains from players who don't understand that the videos they see of games announced 4+ years before their release are target render videos or vertical slices and not the final game, and that devs normally can't predict how the game will look 4 years or more in the future because there are a lot of unpredictable issues that rise during the development.

Last edited:
We'll see what the PS fans demand. Their taste in games has very, very rapidly (just over the last 5-6 years) gotten increasingly conservative and increasingly narrow. You see evidence of this everywhere. I don't see much evidence they are interested in experimental, or varied stuff right now.
this's a chicken/egg kinda phenomenon: which came first - the increasingly conservative/narrow games themselves, or the taste for increasingly conservative/narrow games? the end result, of course, being the same - more conservative/narrow games...

i believe our tastes are being very deliberately shaped, because it makes us that much easier to please...

Last edited:

Woopah

What is that based on? PS players play pretty much everything, from Fortnite, FIFA and Elden Ring to Genshin, Gran Turismo and Call od Duty.
Games featuring local MP =/= local MP-only games. So your analogy is very poor.

Sony by their own omission, will be moving to invest close to 50% of their development investment resources on MP-only GaaS games. PS fans who prefer SP games want Sony to make SP games. Every GaaS game Sony spends time, money, and dev resources on is an opportunity cost as they could have invested in SP games that their core fanbase prefers, or at least made Live Service games that have a PvE element that can address both MP gamers as well as SP gamers.

The issue is that it's not a dichotomy. Sony could have made Live Service games like Destiny with a strong PvE component that appeals to their core base, whilst also providing PvP opportunities to drive engagement and MTX spend.
Do we know for a fact that all of these games don't have PvE at all?

Nintendo makes some games with multiplayer and some games without. Every single player only game that Nintendo spends time, money, and dev resources on is potentially an opportunity cost as they could have invested in multiplayer games. They have a broad fanbase which has different tastes.

Likewise, Sony can be a company that provides single player titles for those that enjoy that type of game, and multiplayer titles for those that enjoy that type. That way they can please a large number of their fans.

Top Bottom