• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't think of many single-player new IPs in the last decade that people are gonna talk about 10 years from now.

KàIRóS

mElsn4H.jpg

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Hell, if you don't believe people will be posting about how Final Fantasy XV was so bad it gave their grandfather colon cancer, and he died in World War II well into 2030, than you must be a new member.

God of war and ragnarok are amazing games with an great story
2018 has a very solid story and good combat that really comes together for the valk fights, especially the queen. But ragnarok really fell off in my opinion. The pacing is awful and the story really only hits in a few places.. not to mention the climax was quite the let down.

Also not a new ip 😂

It doesn't even need a remake, just a straight PC and PS5 port will suffice. Even without, there's still tons of videos being made on YouTube and whatnot and also the continuous chatter on social media platforms, reddit and here on GAF or Reeee that will keep the discussion going for many more years to come. :p
I don't understand how Sony continues to be just silent on that. They own the IP. It's considered one of the best games, if not the best game during the PS4 era. It's almost like they are just trolling their fans. A future bloodborne title is like becoming basically the new Half Life 3 of the modern era at this point. Fuck man, FF7 Remake happened, a new Half Life game happend (Half Life Alyx) and then even Shenmue 3 became a reality. All of those were essentially pipe dreams in the la la land. Surely a Bloodborne game can happen sooner or later....

For me personally, I'd put Bloodborne #1, GoW #2, Death Stranding #3 and TLOU #4, as my top favorite PS4 titles during that era. Right now Death Stranding 2 is my most anticipated for PS5 out of what Sony has announced with Wolverine being 2nd. But if Bloodborne Remake or a sequel or anything Bloodborne related would get announced, that would be become #1 most anticipated.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
  • The Last Of Us – June 2013: Groundbreaking game that revolutionized the action/adventure genre.
  • Titanfall – March 2014: Its sequel had a campaign so good that it is the main reason why people want another Titanfall game.
  • The Order 1886 – February 2015: Mindblowing visuals that still hold up and a universe with so much potential. People would kill for any sort of follow-up.
  • Bloodborne – March 2015: The most beloved and talked-about FromSoftware game of all. Trends on Twitter so often that non-gamers would be surprised if they learned that there hasn't been any activity with this IP for nearly 8 years now.
  • The Last Guardian – December 2016: A legendary game and yet another Ueda masterpiece.
  • Astro-Bot – October 2018: The first must-have virtual reality game, showcasing the potential of the medium long before Alyx.
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice – March 2019: It might not have the huge fan-following of Bloodborne, but it still offered an action and combat experience like no other in the entiry industry.
  • Days Gone – April 2019: Arguably the most impressive Unreal Engine game ever produced and one of Sony's finest open-world games with one of the most interesting settings and narrative potential of all, alongside The Order. Another case of a great IP done dirty that people certainly want more of.
  • Death Stranding – November 2019: One of the most unique and innovative AAA games in recent times.
  • Cyberpunk 2077 – December 2020: Regardless of its many controversies, CDPR's latest is a title that pushed many boundaries for the genre and videogames in general.
  • Returnal – April 2021: A very fresh and incredibly unique title that even to this day remains many people's game of the generation so-far.
  • Elden Ring – February 2022: Very hyped release from FromSoftware that helped the studio reach mainstream status.
  • Starfield – Next Month

ReBurn

Gold Member
Why would we need to? By that time we'll have the next TLOU sequel, the next Uncharted sequel, the next God of War sequel, the next Assassins Creed sequel, the next Spider Man sequel...

Why create new IP's when you can just milk the ones you have?

You mean you wont remember deathloop 10 years from now? but it's a gaming masterpiece with 10/10 reviews that definitely weren't paid for.

deathloop1.jpg
I never understood why this game got such scores. Personally, I've never played it so I can't really speak truly for my opinion. But based of footage I saw, it still doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
  • The Last Of Us – June 2013: Groundbreaking game that revolutionized the action/adventure genre.
  • Titanfall – March 2014: Its sequel had a campaign so good that it is the main reason why people want another Titanfall game.
  • The Order 1886 – February 2015: Mindblowing visuals that still hold up and a universe with so much potential. People would kill for any sort of follow-up.
  • Bloodborne – March 2015: The most beloved and talked-about FromSoftware game of all. Trends on Twitter so often that non-gamers would be surprised if they learned that there hasn't been any activity with this IP for nearly 8 years now.
  • The Last Guardian – December 2016: A legendary game and yet another Ueda masterpiece.
  • Astro-Bot – October 2018: The first must-have virtual reality game, showcasing the potential of the medium long before Alyx.
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice – March 2019: It might not have the huge fan-following of Bloodborne, but it still offered an action and combat experience like no other in the entiry industry.
  • Days Gone – April 2019: Arguably the most impressive Unreal Engine game ever produced and one of Sony's finest open-world games with one of the most interesting settings and narrative potential of all, alongside The Order. Another case of a great IP done dirty that people certainly want more of.
  • Death Stranding – November 2019: One of the most unique and innovative AAA games in recent times.
  • Cyberpunk 2077 – December 2020: Regardless of its many controversies, CDPR's latest is a title that pushed many boundaries for the genre and videogames in general.
  • Returnal – April 2021: A very fresh and incredibly unique title that even to this day remains many people's game of the generation so-far.
  • Elden Ring – February 2022: Very hyped release from FromSoftware that helped the studio reach mainstream status.
  • Starfield – Next Month
/thread

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I never understood why this game got such scores. Personally, I've never played it so I can't really speak truly for my opinion. But based of footage I saw, it still doesn't make any sense to me.

It’s a good game, but a bad Arkane game and definitely not worthy of all of those 10s.

*Even calling it “bad” seems too harsh. Its just such a departure from their usual stuff, even with the Blink-like power.

Last edited:
idi-amin-laugh.gif

This true with most people on GAF these days.
OP is just jaded.
Threads like these become our punishment for the fact that these posters keep chasing that mystical dragon of nostalgia. How many times do people have to keep coming into these 'back in my day' threads and list out modern games for them, because they're too lazy, too tunnel-visioned, or too jaded to simply look around? I mean for crying out loud Baldur's Gate 3 just came out man. Like what even is this lol.

Belthazar

The Last of Us is one of those, so are games like Stardew Valley and Hollow Knight. There are plenty of games that will be remembered and cherished for decades to come.

Lunarorbit

Lots of good answers.

I'll throw in Control, especially with a sequel coming. Only spent $25 million on it. If Alan wake still gets talked about then Control will for sure.

Days Gone. I bet Sony spins this property up again. Fuck the haters.

Borderlands.
Stardew Valley.
Steamworld Dig
Shovel knight

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
cGJF21h.jpg
Has everyone forgotten about this juggernaut of a franchise?

Seriously though, Splatoon is huge in Japan

Last edited:

Pelta88

TLOU. It morphed into something beyond a game and that's before the TV show became a behemoth.

GTAV became something of a gaming benchmark.

There have been a ton of good games but few go beyond that status and have an impact on the broader popular culture. Which is what a game needs to be talked about for two decades.

Last edited:
Or take a look at Skyrim. This game still gets talked about. Ironically, no one talks about Fallout 4.
I think people are going to look back kindly on Fallout 4. The fans may not be vocal in their praise but people that do play it, play it alot. I've seen people in forums that do nothing but bash it but then you ask them their playtime and they have like 200+ hours.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Alien Isolation still gets talked about as one of the best Horror experiences out there and nothing has been able to top it. The twin AI with the Alien is really something else.

But I wouldn't consider it a new IP so....

I dunno not a whole lot of new IPs that get talked about 10 years later that are on the level of Skyrim. Nor has any other game been re-released as much.

Lots of games these days are aimed at multiplayer experiences or GaaS games that are less game and more about how can we get as much money from you as possible.

And the new IPs people do list don't particularly interest me.

EDMIX

This true with most people on GAF these days.
This is big facts.

idi-amin-laugh.gif

Threads like these become our punishment for the fact that these posters keep chasing that mystical dragon of nostalgia. How many times do people have to keep coming into these 'back in my day' threads and list out modern games for them, because they're too lazy, too tunnel-visioned, or too jaded to simply look around? I mean for crying out loud Baldur's Gate 3 just came out man. Like what even is this lol.

I'm saying! Its like shit, I like old games too (well I fucking love old games) and if I beat 14 games this year, 5 of them was old lol I have a few that I play yearly that from either PS2 era or PS1 era, PS3 etc, but I still understand we have better design today.
Look at RE4 remake, that shit feels so fucking good, but it feels like RE2 remake and RE3 remake, as in the advancements in gaming happened and going back to the original RE4 really isn't enough, its not unplayable, but there is just no way it makes any real logical sense for someone to believe BACK THEN those controls were better then right now.

Its nostalgia, but holy shit people there is a limit that shit lol

If someone is triggered even after we have a year with Octopath Traveler 2, Zelda ToK, FFXVI, Diablo IV, Baldur's Gate 3, Starfield, Spiderman 2, Alan Wake 2 Persona 5 tactics, Dead Space remake, RE4 remake, SF6, Hi-Fi Rush, Star Wars Fallen Order 2, Company Of Heros 3, Lies Of P, nahhhh fuck it, they can't be helped.

They hate fun.

They have issues with themselves. Enough new IP has released this year, enough great single player games have released this year, if someone doesn't find something they liked this year, that is a deep, deep THEM problem at this point. I don't have shit to complain about this year.

This will go down as one of those epic years like 2001 (granted the chances of us getting a Smash Bros, GT, Halo, GTA and FF game releasing the same year is unlikely to happen that same way ever again, this year is still fucking epic regardless)

Laieon

cGJF21h.jpg
Has everyone forgotten about this juggernaut of a franchise?

I liked Arms a hell of a lot more than Splatoon.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
they are based off an IP from 2005. so doesnt really count.

Gravity Rush is on fucking life support. if Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme didn't exist the game wouldn't even be considered, here :(

Here maybe, but Bloodborne hasn't recieved a sequel or any aknowledgement from Sony since forever. A remake would do wonders for spreading the franchise out there but otherwise nahhhhh.

If it isn't a dreamcast list war, talks about the Soundtrack, or a Sega fanboy, people really aren't talking about Jet Set Radio.

better example would be Wind Waker as a cell shaded game since that game has a much more dedicated fanbase and is tied to a much more popular IP. and even then no one really talks about Gamecube Zelda as much as they do N64 or BOTW/TOTK

There is a lot of love for Gravity Rush, people already know it and here at Neogaf many users support the game...

Robb

Gold Member
Disagree. Control, Elden Ring, Astral Chain and Death Stranding were the ones that popped up in my head spontaneously.

And looking through the thread there’s quite bit more.

Starfield is the next one.
For starters, Bethesda will release a new definitive/directors cut/game of the year edition/ every couple of of years.

No doubt they will have an MMO version of it coming out, they will have half a dozen expansions for it, so yeah, it will be remembered for years.

L*][*N*K

Banned
I don’t understand this concept of “talking about it”, unless if a conversation comes up why do you feel the need to talk about a game that you are not currently playing?? Do you just randomly go and strike a conversation with some like “remember how good Bloodborne was?”

Also this not talking about concept is also true for movies and TV-Shows, who talks about Murphy Brown in 2023? Does that means that wasn’t an impactful show in the 80s? Of course not.

Laptop1991

There isn't any, too many gaas and games designed around mtx and stores, the games weren't being made in the last 10 years to be really good SP games, as far as triple A titles are concerned anyway.

Gojiira

What do we mean when we say "talk about"?
As in, sells very well, gets a sequel or three(current dev times notwithstanding)...or a cult classic that people lament the criminally poor sales and a lack of a sequel?

If it's the former, we have TLOU, probably Starfield...but if it's the latter...

D1699A197086E9A69DA7F527404E7CC74C48CB67
Ngl when I first played Returnal I was indifferent.
BUT when I sat down and gave it a genuine effort I thought it was perfect, its a genuinely good story and representation of Lovecraftian horror, amazing shooting, fun as fuck.
100% want a sequel.

Top Bottom