• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't think of many single-player new IPs in the last decade that people are gonna talk about 10 years from now.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Only for old cunts like us. I'm pretty sure that anyone who was just growing up in the past decade and was still a kid/teenager when they were coming out, will remember that generation with much more fondness than most GAFers.

And for those who aren't jaded about their adult life, there's like a whole bunch of games that will live on in memory as classics, like Bloodborne, Elden Ring, The Witcher 3 (and yes, I think it's fair to count it as its own thing because it was the first game in the series that made such a huge cultural impact), The Last of Us, Alien Isolation, Spider-Man, Destiny, Warframe, Death Stranding, Cyberpunk, Horizon... just to name a few.

Now, if you want to lament the fact that there are far more sequels or reboots of old IPs these days, then I'd be on board with you on that, because there are. But that doesn't automatically disqualify them from being instant classics. Many of those sequels and reboots were such a departure from their predecessors that they managed to breathe a completely new life into the franchise, to the point where they became their own series with its own unique identity. Game like Resident Evil 7, Doom 2016, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Hitman, Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War, Nier Automata, Prey, Bioshock Infinite, MGS V - these are all great games that I'm pretty sure will be remembered for years to come.

Last edited:
There is a lot of love for Gravity Rush, people already know it and here at Neogaf many users support the game...
Well, I'm doing my part. Just got this copy of Gravity Rush 2 a short while back (previously had it digitally through PS+). On the other hand, the PS4 remastered version of the first game has gotten quite expensive in physical format, so I got it on PSN instead. That said, both games are great! Kat is simply awesome, love her!

20230819_123338.jpg

Last edited:

Vblad88

I think the main point of discussion regarding single-player IPs generally pass year 2010 would be how they failed to sustain quality that would be enough to bring their significance in par to Cinema. Few examples:

1.Wolfenstein Reboot was converted into pulp throughout sequels, as well as Tomb Raider Reboot...

2.The Last of Us is a good apocalyptic story turned - again - a gory horror

3. Poorest adaptation of greatest contemporary movie franchise Marvel's The Avengers.

4. From plephora of new sub-genres that would have been discovered, we had only "Walking" Simulators, "Hold-my-hand" simulators and Soulslikes which are oldschool videogamey as hell.

5. Exceptions that proves the rule: Red Dead Redemption/Uncharted, too bad no body care for both movie genres.

Not to mention that earlier series with great potential had the sequels turned "meh" (in overall consensus) : Dishonored, Deus Ex, Bioshock.

Single-player will become even more niche & lukewarm (like PS Exclusives) when they plug their plots into AI machine, and because of that, above titles will be remembered more fondly then they should be.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
I don't think we have seen a game in the last decade that will ever have the level of a Half Life, Counterstrike, Minecraft, Skyrim, Doom, Super Mario Bros., Zelda, Tetris, World of Warcraft and others. Maybe Fortnite and Starfield, but that's it.

Last edited:

linko9

Elden Ring will be the most talked about, especially if there are sequels. But let's be honest, that's Dark Souls. Returnal is the best example brought up here in terms of a new, excellent game. But few people talked about it when it came out, and even fewer will in the future. Very excited for what Housemarque has coming next.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Well, I'm doing my part. Just got this copy of Gravity Rush 2 a short while back (previously had it digitally through PS+). On the other hand, the PS4 remastered version of the first game has gotten quite expensive in physical format, so I got it on PSN instead. That said, both games are great! Kat is simply awesome, love her!

20230819_123338.jpg
We love Kat 😍

That’s because new ip are a thing of the past. It’s all safe sequels and remasters.
It's not true though, we're getting a huge new IP with Starfield in just a few short weeks. Before that, we've had Elden Ring, Hades, Valheim, Vampire Survivors, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding and all of them in just the past 3 years. They're also very popular titles still that are constantly talked about.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Death Stranding - assuming Kojima is still making Strand games and dev cycles are still ~5+ years.

Candy Crush - because of course.

Horizon Zero Dawn and co - I know unpopular opinion, but a sequel to Horizon is some ways away, itll still have mindshare.

Hellblade - Cuz Hellblade 3 is likely only coming out in like 7 or 8 years, we wont forget the IP in 2 years.

Starfield - Its gonna get rereleased on the Xbox next almost guaranteed.

Ghost of Tsushima - I know its wishful thinking but im hoping Sucker Punch get to do more games like it.

DaGwaphics

Starfield is the easiest candidate just because people will potentially still being buying and playing the extra most bestest new re-release in 10 years. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I agree with the user that put RDR in the ring as well, that one is 13 now and there is still interest.

I fell that some of the responses in this thread are coming from quite jaded gamers... which is as a shame, as in my opinion 2023 has been the best gaming year in quite some time. Even if the new IPs released this year haven't resonated well with critics and the audience at large they still deserve praise for taking creative risks. Just off the top of my head, here's what new notable gaming properties we've gotten so far in 2023: Forspoken, HiFi Rush, Wo Long, Atomic Heart, Wild Hearts, Redfall, Rain Code, Exoprimal, Atlas Fallen, The Dredge and Bomb Rush Cyberfunk. And for the remainder of the year we'll also get Starfield, Immortals of Aveum, Lies of P, Sea of Stars, Fort Solis. I'm sure I'm missing more new gaming properties here.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I think there is still a lot of interest in Cyberpunk, but the problem for you appears to be that there is lack of new IP with full sequels that drop every two years or so. Games just take too long to develop now, and the huge publishers that do this have many studios working on different new titles in parallel. You are just not going to see that insane scaling up for a totally new and unproven IP.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I think people will still be talking about Redfall in 10 years time. It will have its own chapter in the text books that students will learn about when on a game development course.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's not true though, we're getting a huge new IP with Starfield in just a few short weeks. Before that, we've had Elden Ring, Hades, Valheim, Vampire Survivors, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding and all of them in just the past 3 years. They're also very popular titles still that are constantly talked about.

I don’t count indies, because they’re the ones that do new stuff.

In the AAA realm that meager list is nothing compared to what we used to get. Ghost of Tsushima was also a last gen game.

Lunarorbit

People coming in on page 3 still saying single player games are niche and will go away.... What the fuck is wrong with you?

Didn't all the dipshits in media a decade ago trying and failing to make this argument sway you at all? There's a list of at least 30 new IPs on this thread but still people come up with this most tired argument

I don’t count indies, because they’re the ones that do new stuff.

In the AAA realm that meager list is nothing compared to what we used to get. Ghost of Tsushima was also a last gen game.
I don't even know how to reply to this bad faith argument... so I'll just disengage from this discussion here.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don't even know how to reply to this bad faith argument... so I'll just disengage from this discussion here.

Bad faith how?

Name me all the big releases from this gen.

Post a list of the top selling games and let’s count how many are sequels or remasters/rereleases of older games.

Last edited:
I fell that some of the responses in this thread are coming from quite jaded gamers... which is as a shame, as in my opinion 2023 has been the best gaming year in quite some time.
Every month this year it becomes easier and easier to tell who is jaded on this site and how much they’re in a bubble. Literally, there’s been an avalanche of games in 2023 and it’s been increasing in intensity every month. This has been shaping up to be one of the most legendary years in modern gaming, yet these posters will sit across from you, seriously look you in the eyes, and try and convince you that the medium is dying and starved for content.
giphy.webp

Svejk

Playing Dragon's Dogma right now. Game has age like wine and the hype is building up again. GOAT tier.

NahaNago

20230819_123338.jpg
I had just put my library of games back on my dvd shelves and was shocked I owned this game.

On topic, I would say elden ring most likely even if I'm not a souls fan. Does Hogwarts Legacy count? I'm honestly kind of iffy on Horizon Zero Dawn. It was pretty but that was about it for me. Still port begging for Bloodborne if that hasn't happened yet. I think that is about it.

yurinka

You may have a very bad memory or only follow Nintendo.

In this around 10 years we saw some of the most popular new IPs ever. Make sure people will talk about them for over 10 years:

• Fortnite (the most successful Epic Games ever)
  • Destiny (best selling new IP ever)
  • The Division (had better numbers than the previous fastest selling new IP ever, Watchdogs, but Destiny stole that record)
  • Watchdogs (back then broke the record of fastest selling new IP)
  • Horizon (best selling Guerrilla game ever, it sequel started with even better numbers)
  • Ghost of Tsushima (best selling Sucker Punch game ever)
  • Death Stranding (as of now it should be the best selling Hideo Kojima game ever, or at least was in track)
  • Days Gone (best selling Bend game ever, has a movie in the works and who knows if in the future will get a sequel too)
  • The Last Guardian (I doubt it may ever have a sequel but I think will be remembered as one of the best games of the generation and may even get a movie)
  • The Last of Us (best selling Sony's new IP, its sequel broke the record of GOTY awards earned)
  • Bloodborne (potential to have a sequel and movie/tv adaptations in the future)
  • Elden Ring (broke the record of biggest amount of GOTY awards earned)
  • Some indies acquired by big publishers like Fall Guys or Rocket League will be milked for over 10 years
  • Several dozens of indie new IPs that will continue getting sequels or spin-offs
  • And then you have your favorite new IP o the last 10 years
P.S.: Remember that around half of the MORE THAN 25 games that PS had under development are new IPs, meaning Sony will continue releasing big new IPs.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Although its technically a sequel to a spin-off, Nier: Automta I'd say fits the bill. Particularly as it was a breakout hit that re-energized a fairly obscure franchise.

I'd also add Nioh because it basically marked the re-emergence of Team Ninja as a leading developer of action titles, and for me is the best example of how a dev can incorporate what FROM's Souls titles brought to the table but keep a clear style and identity of their own.

Death Stranding kinda has to be the poster child for true radicalism in the AAA console space though. Kojima's refocussing away from the "stick" of action combat to the "rope" of action in service of community and construction is such an outlier that -whether you personally thought it was successful or not- it'll be talked about for years to come.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Severe hyperbolic thread,

Prey, rift apart, deathloop (that’s right), biomutant, Returnal, Sackboy, death stranding, metro exodus, Valhalla, miles, tomb raider etc. are all good experiences. And I want to add to that list, god of war, Spider-Man, horizon, halo, GT7 just to prove how good this generation has been.

Tams

Every month this year it becomes easier and easier to tell who is jaded on this site and how much they’re in a bubble. Literally, there’s been an avalanche of games in 2023 and it’s been increasing in intensity every month. This has been shaping up to be one of the most legendary years in modern gaming, yet these posters will sit across from you, seriously look you in the eyes, and try and convince you that the medium is dying and starved for content.
giphy.webp

Sorry, there were other games release this year other than Tears of the Kingdom and Pikmin 4?!

I did hear a bit of a kerfuffle around a game called Hi-Fi Muff or something, but it seemed a bit too much for me.

Top Bottom